What to do with Vegan Inmates....

VeganDeVil

An interesting question....

Found this here:

http://www.groovyvegetarian.com/2008/02/14/what-to-do-with-vegan-inmates/

Recently a criminal by the name of Love Sky Dancer (of course) was incarcerated, and as a vegan, he requested he be sent to a prison where vegan meal options exist. Apparently the penal system in London accomodates vegan inmates. The judge approved the request, and Love Sky Dancer is now in London.

So should vegans be allowed to transport to vegan-friendly prisons? Was the judge right in accomodating Love Sky Dancer? What should the American penal system do with Vegan Inmates?

yes, i think they should. my mother is in prison for something she didn't do, she would like to eat a vegan diet but they don't have that option there. the way she is treated there is horrible! they don't even feed her for weeks and then they spit in and throw the food on the floor, so i think they should have a say in what they eat. the justice system is so fucked up!

I didn't read the article but I think the judge was right. If they allow books, exercise, health care and the like, why not allow the vegan to continue to be so?

I don't see the point of taking away practices like veganism away from prisoners. Forcing a vegan to be omnivore in a prison it's like forcing a jainist to be christian just because what they bring to jail is a christian priest.

A vegan diet should not only be an option, but promoted as well. The more people eating vegan the better [although, I don't see that happening in prison]. I'm not saying gourmet meals - but quality vegan meals.

Also, just think of SHAC 7 and other people in the same situation currently behind bars. I wonder if they are getting a heathly vegan diet option?

yes, i think they should. my mother is in prison for something she didn't do, she would like to eat a vegan diet but they don't have that option there. the way she is treated there is horrible! they don't even feed her for weeks and then they spit in and throw the food on the floor, so i think they should have a say in what they eat. the justice system is so fucked up!
damn that's crazy !

Vegan Dr. Herbert Shelton was often arrested and imprisonned, sometimes for many weeks and months. He was always using this to fast and to write his manuscrits. Often arrested " in New York, for "practicing medicine without a licence." The great irony is that Dr. Shelton would never "practice medicine"! Still, that is what the authorities call it when someone tells people how to live, how to sleep, how to eat, and how not to take medicines!"

http://waiting-for-the-miracle.blogspot.com/2008/09/true-medecine-man.html

oh my gosh, that's so terrible. i can't even imagine.

thank you all. she had a bad lawyer and they gave her 20 years!!! she's been in there for 6. i've been writting people asking for help, like lawyers, innocent projects and senetors, so far no one wants to help, and lawyers want thousands of dollers, which i don't have. all this was over a verbal argument in wal-mart! my mom always carried a pocket knife on her purse for use as a tool, the lady saw it and decided to claim my mom held her up against a wall and threatened to cut her!! my mom was charged (5 years later) with "agrevated assault with a deadly weapon"

thank you all. she had a bad lawyer and they gave her 20 years!!! she's been in there for 6. i've been writting people asking for help, like lawyers, innocent projects and senetors, so far no one wants to help, and lawyers want thousands of dollers, which i don't have. all this was over a verbal argument in wal-mart! my mom always carried a pocket knife on her purse for use as a tool, the lady saw it and decided to claim my mom held her up against a wall and threatened to cut her!! my mom was charged (5 years later) with "agrevated assault with a deadly weapon"

That is some total BS, she gets 20 years?!?! but a rapist would get like 2, our justice system is a mess like you said, I hope someone will agree to help you, makes me wish I was a lawyer.

That is some total BS, she gets 20 years?!?! but a rapist would get like 2, our justice system is a mess like you said, I hope someone will agree to help you, makes me wish I was a lawyer.

i know! thank you.

aura what state is your mother incarerated in if you don't mind me asking?

Journalism students' investigation leads to freeing man on death row

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/1999/03/15/porter990315.html

http://www.medill.northwestern.edu/faculty/fulltime.aspx?id=59603

Bluhm Legal Clinic

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/wrongfulconvictions/aboutus/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Porter

she had a bad lawyer and they gave her 20 years!!! she's been in there for 6. i've been writting people asking for help, like lawyers, innocent projects and senetors, so far no one wants to help, and lawyers want thousands of dollers, which i don't have. all this was over a verbal argument in wal-mart! my mom always carried a pocket knife on her purse for use as a tool, the lady saw it and decided to claim my mom held her up against a wall and threatened to cut her!! my mom was charged (5 years later) with "agrevated assault with a deadly weapon"
who the hell was that lady? an old crazt woman ? I guess she's happy now. United States are strange, you have the right to carry a firearm, but then they call a pocket knife (or a pencil in airplanes) a deadly weapon and they give 20 years even if there's not even a scratch on the skin. And in Texas they could almost give the electric chair for saying a bad word to a police officer. I wish that your mom gets free soon and that she get some money compensation and that the other woman get what she deserves.

That makes me sick, what a screwed up system.

Regarding veganism in jails - there shouldn't be a need to transfer someone just because they want vegan food. How hard is it to give people a vegan option - all it would need to be is vegetables and grains ultimately? Something like that, it's not expensive or complex, and presumably the non-vegan option also contains vegetables and grains...

But in the event that they would need to be transferred in order for it to happen, I think it does make sense. Some might say "why are you accommodating a criminal, why should they have the choice?" - but it's not really for the criminal's benefit, it is for the animals that would need to be killed for their meals - why should they be punished alongside the criminal, it makes no sense to say that.

she had a bad lawyer and they gave her 20 years!!! she's been in there for 6. i've been writting people asking for help, like lawyers, innocent projects and senetors, so far no one wants to help, and lawyers want thousands of dollers, which i don't have. all this was over a verbal argument in wal-mart! my mom always carried a pocket knife on her purse for use as a tool, the lady saw it and decided to claim my mom held her up against a wall and threatened to cut her!! my mom was charged (5 years later) with "agrevated assault with a deadly weapon"
who the hell was that lady? an old crazt woman ? I guess she's happy now. United States are strange, you have the right to carry a firearm, but then they call a pocket knife (or a pencil in airplanes) a deadly weapon and they give 20 years even if there's not even a scratch on the skin. And in Texas they could almost give the electric chair for saying a bad word to a police officer. I wish that your mom gets free soon and that she get some money compensation and that the other woman get what she deserves.

thank you! yeah texas is one of the worst prisons, i hate that she's there. i beleive if it happened in another state she would be free by now.

i agree with you richard, about the animals and all

I've lived in a couple states and the legal system is fucked up pretty much everywhere; the OJs get one justice, and the NoJs something else. A for-profit "justice" system; it'd be a joke if it wasn't so tragic.

I became a raw vegan primarily because it dramatically helps a so-called "incurable" brain disease I have; I pity prisoners who are forced to eat food that might kill them.

vegan meals should be the only meals available in prisons!!!

1.) Nothing should have to die for people who have destroyed or damaged lives themselves

2.) It can be done without breaching any human rights

3.) Why waste resources when you dont have to? Everyone knows the environmental destruction caused by the Western addiction to animal products.

It's my guess that if prisoners were fed vegan foods, they would be a lot calmer and there would be a lot less fighting amongst them.

Aura, my sympathies to you. I wish you the best of luck on getting your mom released as early as possible.

Good guess ! We've noticed an improvement in the behavior of people in prisons and schools where more vegetables are served and less junk food, they become less agressive, they are more calm and they think better. It's not vegan but it shows the tendancy.