Vanilla Rice Dream Rice Milk may not be Vegan!

VeganDeVil

Just read this article:

http://tangergreen.com/rice-dream-rice-milk-contains-unwanted-chemicals/

Apparently the Vanilla flavored Rice Dream milk has the ingredient 'natural flavor'. Here's the site's hypothesis as to why this particular flavor would need an additive:

Our guess is that Imagine Foods doesn’t want to spend the money to put enough real vanilla in their milk to make it taste like vanilla to you. Vanilla is a somewhat expensive extract, so we would guess that Imagine Foods is cutting corners by putting some minute amount of actual vanilla in this product and making up the difference by adding chemicals that fool customers into thinking they are tasting actual vanilla.

The writers of the site then wrote to the company to ask what the 'natural flavor' was exactly, and got this is response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our Vanilla Rice Dream Beverage. We apologize for the delay in our reply and appreciate your patience. We strive to maintain the highest quality products and we appreciate your patronage.

Natural is used as a general term to encompass natural flavors that are both vegan and non-vegan. It’s used to convey that the flavor or ingredient doesn’t have anything artificial in it. Artificial meaning any chemically synthesized ingredients. The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means any ingredient that is from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, a vegetable, edible yeast, herb, bark, root, leaf, meat or poultry products whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional. The Hain Celestial Group does not add mono-sodium glutamate (MSG) to any of our natural flavors. If you have allergies or sensitivities to certain ingredients, we recommend you avoid all products with added flavorings.

As one of our valued customers, your satisfaction is very important to us and we will share your comments with our Leadership Team. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-434-4246, Monday through Friday from 7AM - 5PM Mountain Time.

Hmmmm. Kind of a vague response...... Blimey! I love vanilla flavored Rice milk. I'm going ingredient hunting at Trader Joe's TOMORROW!

I'm drinking Vanilla Silk Soymilk as we type. And it lists ," Natural Vanilla Flavor " as an ingredient. It doesn't say Vegan on it. But is supposed to be.

I can't wait until I can make my own soymilk. I just don't know who to trust anymore. lol.

Silk is definitely Vegan. I wonder why it doesn't say so on the carton? Is the thinking that a Vegan label might turn off omni's who assume everything 'Vegan' tastes like grass?

Well. I do have a friend in the UK( Who has been Vegan on and off for 10 years ) who thinks Soymilk tastes like dish water. Though. It makes me wonder two things.

1. Maybe it's the brand he's drinking. Europe usually has different brands then we do in the states. Plus it could have been the flavor.

2. I wonder when he actually tasted dish water.

I sometimes think that the word Vegan might put off some people. When I break into the product market( Making easy/affordable/healthy vegan food ) I won't put Vegan on it. Or even that it's healthy. It would probably sell more if it didn't say," No GMO's, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Non-Dairy..ect". It would be like accidentally"on purpose" vegan.

Thank God Silk is Vegan. Whew. You just ease my worry Vegan D ^^.

@ Marcina. Does Hemp milk taste good? What's the protein content like?

If it was available around here I'd probably switch over to hemp milk and other hemp products. I've heard the protein is better for you then the protein in Soy.

Silk is definitely Vegan. I wonder why it doesn't say so on the carton? Is the thinking that a Vegan label might turn off omni's who assume everything 'Vegan' tastes like grass?

Some companies do not say "vegan" simply for fear of people not wanting to try their product because of the assumption that "vegan" means "tastes bad" as some people tend to believe. The other reason could be this -

There was a big scoop on Silk years ago where it was said that in one batch of their soy milk, White Wave (makers of Silk soymilk) had accidentally released a batch that had been found to contain more than just traces of dairy in the final product, which was soon recalled. This was many years ago, but once a company finds that there's a slim chance for error, they often don't want to go to the lengths to offer a "vegan guarantee" after a previous problem as they'd prefer not to risk being involved in a potential lawsuit. I haven't heard of any problems with Silk in probably about 6 years, and wouldn't worry about any cross-contamination now, but back then, people were a bit weirded out by the recall.

There was a big scoop on Silk years ago where it was said that in one batch of their soy milk, White Wave (makers of Silk soymilk) had accidentally released a batch that had been found to contain more than just traces of dairy in the final product, which was soon recalled. This was many years ago, but once a company finds that there's a slim chance for error, they often don't want to go to the lengths to offer a "vegan guarantee" after a previous problem as they'd prefer not to risk being involved in a potential lawsuit. I haven't heard of any problems with Silk in probably about 6 years, and wouldn't worry about any cross-contamination now, but back then, people were a bit weirded out by the recall.

Whoa! Very interesting, I didn't know about that.

Good to hear it's been 6 long years.... I'd hate to give up my Very Vanilla!

Whoa! Very interesting, I didn't know about that.

I'd hate to give up my Very Vanilla!

Life without that intense Vanilla flavor is not a life I'd want either

I'm also glad it's been 6 long years. As I've been Vegan for only 3 years. Let's hope Silk keeps up the awesome.

Though if they do come up with a problem. It won't be the end of the world. I'm sure if I was to attempt to make my own very vanilla soymilk that tastes better then there's it shouldn't be too hard. A whole bottle of vanilla extract should be enough vanilla flavor. How much is that stuff anyways?

Life without that intense Vanilla flavor is not a life I'd want either
Comon man it's not harder to give up vanilla to give up all animal products ; )

I'm also glad it's been 6 long years. As I've been Vegan for only 3 years. Let's hope Silk keeps up the awesome.

Though if they do come up with a problem. It won't be the end of the world. I'm sure if I was to attempt to make my own very vanilla soymilk that tastes better then there's it shouldn't be too hard. A whole bottle of vanilla extract should be enough vanilla flavor. How much is that stuff anyways?

yes, just buy unsweetened plain soy milk, organic, and buy little bottles of vanilla essence and liquid stevia. It's about 6$ each and will last pretty long, you just need a splash of the first and 1-2 drops of the second. If you add nutmeg and fresh dates it's even better.

I was thinking more along the lines of fresh home-made soymilk( Soaking the beans overnight then using a soymilk maker in the morning ).

How strong would the vanilla flavor be if I added a whole bottle of vanilla extract?

As for sweetners. I had planned from the start to incorporate fresh fruit into the mix. Blueberries, Oranges, Strawberries, Watermelon, A whole Banana( Or two ) Grapes, Pineapple( Pretty much all the yummiest fruits ) and then add a little bit of vanilla.

Does that sound like it would come out good? I really want to try and stop using any and all non-natural sugar.

The link to the article says:

The only difference between an artificial and a natural flavor is that the artificial flavor never came from a food in the first place, but once upon a time, the natural flavor did. For example, the natural flavor for banana was derived by distilling a chemical called amyl acetate from the banana, and then copying its properties. Artificial banana flavor is made out of vingear, amyl alchohol and sulfuric acid. Both routes may produce a banana-like taste and smell, but neither route is derived from putting an actual banana in the end product. It’s all achieved by totally unnatural processes being conducted in giant factories by people in lab coats. It’s not healthy, wholesome or necessary…and it’s sure not natural!

I don't really care if I eat flavor additives which were synthesized in a lab and have chemically almost identical properties to the real item.

I care about whether the food is toxic, tastes worse, or is less nutritious.

I never really liked most soy, almond, or rice milk -- not because of the "natural flavor" taste, but because they put way too much sugar (cane juice) in them.

Almost all brands make an unsweetened version. I like westsoy unsweetened vanilla, although I see it says "natural flavors" also. I also like their unsweetened almond. I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk too, but I haven't bought it in awhile.