So confused- low carb or vegan again??

dunaway1

I Personally think your playing with fire, though keeping it polyunsaturated is definitely a plus. Most diseases people get in industrial societies are degenerative, and take decades to fully develop. Even at your very young age, your blood pressure is at the upper end of the acceptable range. I'm 48 and my bp is 94/60. I think you will find as you age, the degenerative effects of a high fat diet will take their toll and you will have to reduce it to be really healthy. In women, high fat diets are closely associated with breast cancer. Many other diseases are also associated with high fat diets. Many leading nutrition experts agree that less than 20% of cals from fat is very healthful.

I saw a recent study that showed vegan diets increase testosterone. I'm 48 and my sex drive and performance are very strong.

Deliberate restriction of any micro/macro nutrient isn't going to bring any magical results in phisyque transformation, strenght increase or whatever. Different things work for different people and even those who don't do very well on moderate to higher carb diets would probably be fine if their physical activity level was higher!
Imho I don't think 811 means restriction, but rather just giving the organism what it needs. According to the persons who advocates this diet, our body only needs a very small amount of fats and of proteins. The contents of these in sugary foods like fruits is enough. Above this, all the rest is superfluous and therefore unecessary. Why eating things that are unecessary? But concerning carbs, the only limit is based on your activity level.

I saw a link to the study on vegsource.com in Dr Graham's section about 1 to 3 months ago; you'll need to wade through some posts to find it. It created quite a conversation.

Yeah, what's restrictive is very much a matter of opinion; I'm in I'm Your Man's camp and think of 10% limit on fats and protein as normal and everything else as more or less excessive.

I spent a little time on google and found this:

Mean serum insulin-like growth factor-I was 9% lower in 233 vegan men than in 226 meat-eaters and 237 vegetarians (P = 0.002). Vegans had higher testosterone levels than vegetarians and meat-eaters, but this was offset by higher sex hormone binding globulin, and there were no differences between diet groups in free testosterone, androstanediol glucuronide or luteinizing hormone.

http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v83/n1/abs/6691152a.html

I think this is from the same study that McDougall is talking about in the anti-Soy Protein isolate video. Pretty cool, this calls for celebration!

I Personally think your playing with fire, though keeping it polyunsaturated is definitely a plus. Most diseases people get in industrial societies are degenerative, and take decades to fully develop. Even at your very young age, your blood pressure is at the upper end of the acceptable range. I'm 48 and my bp is 94/60. I think you will find as you age, the degenerative effects of a high fat diet will take their toll and you will have to reduce it to be really healthy. In women, high fat diets are closely associated with breast cancer. Many other diseases are also associated with high fat diets. Many leading nutrition experts agree that less than 20% of cals from fat is very healthful.

I get what you're saying about blood preesure, mine has been at the same level for years, even before I increased my fats (only tried it for a couple of comps, as I am still experimenting with what works better for getting in shape).

Honestly I do agree with you in some regards to high fats being linked to degenerative diseases but I think it is more dangerous to be consuming high amounts of saturated and trans fats, rather than the mono and polyunsaturated fats which I'm consuming.

Granted, once I stop competing I'm sure I will lower my fat calories as I won't have as much muscle mass to hold.