Female calorie ranges

Can some of you ladies tell me what your caloric intake averages? And perhaps some high energy food suggestions? I have been feeling lethargic.

Just for point of reference, I am 5'7'', 135 lbs., 18% body fat, and want to have the energy to do pretty intense workouts. What would be the lowest calorie range so I could reduce my body fat but still be able to feel energetic?

Does anyone take any supplements or anything for energy? Besides caffeine?

Thanks!

Just for point of reference, I am 5'7'', 135 lbs., 18% body fat, and want to have the energy to do pretty intense workouts. What would be the lowest calorie range so I could reduce my body fat but still be able to feel energetic?

I'm not a lady, but using the Katch-McArdle formula your BMR is 1457 calories, which puts your TDEE for moderate exercise at 2258 calories. Light exercise is 2003 cals and heavy is 2513. If you're doing intense exercise you should probably be on the high end, between 2250 and 2500. If you want to lose weight, drop that by 300-500 calories. You don't want to go too low, because you want to still have energy and retain muscle.

And it all varies by person, so you might lose weight perfectly well at 2200, whereas someone else has to go down to 1700.

Hi, I'm female, workout a lot, running at least three times a week, and doing other cardio workouts too. I also weight train. I'd say that most of my workouts can get pretty intense too. Anyway I'm not exactly sure how many calories I get in a given day, but I have a pretty good guess. I would say most days I fall between 1500-2000 calories, probably closer to 1500. I usually eat a banana or two before my cardio, so I'll have some quick energy. My diet isn't as involved as some, but I do my best. For carbs I eat a lot of fruit, my favorites being bananas, and canteloupe. Yum! I also eat steel cut oatmeal, the kind that takes about an hour to fix, and brown rice. I eat a lot of beans, soy products,clif, and luna bars, seitan, and sometimes Vega for protein. I also try to eat a lot of vegetables, but this is where I always fall short. I feel better when I add gree powders to my smoothies, when I have smoothies, lol. If I just had enough money tobuy smoothies everyday at Tropical Smoothie at work I'd be doing a lot better. Anyway I hope some of this helps, I didn't mean to jot down my whole diet.

I'm about your height (just under 5'8). All bodies are different, but I can let you know what has worked for me in the past: If you're trying to *lose weight* as a pretty active person, I wouldn't advise going over 1500-1600 . At least I know that I can't without maintaining/plateauing.

*For me*, 1500 calories a day while keeping to a pretty diligent training schedule has worked well, and is plenty for adequate energy (assuming you are being calorie efficient, and eating healthy, whole foods). For the periods that I've worked out less, I've found that 1500 calories maintains my weight, and 12-1300 calories results in weight loss (of course, I wasn't working out then, so I'm sure I was losing muscle as well).

This is a pretty good guide:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php

Hope that helps!

Hi, I'm female, workout a lot, running at least three times a week, and doing other cardio workouts too. I also weight train. I'd say that most of my workouts can get pretty intense too. Anyway I'm not exactly sure how many calories I get in a given day, but I have a pretty good guess. I would say most days I fall between 1500-2000 calories, probably closer to 1500. I usually eat a banana or two before my cardio, so I'll have some quick energy. My diet isn't as involved as some, but I do my best. For carbs I eat a lot of fruit, my favorites being bananas, and canteloupe. Yum! I also eat steel cut oatmeal, the kind that takes about an hour to fix, and brown rice. I eat a lot of beans, soy products,clif, and luna bars, seitan, and sometimes Vega for protein. I also try to eat a lot of vegetables, but this is where I always fall short. I feel better when I add gree powders to my smoothies, when I have smoothies, lol. If I just had enough money tobuy smoothies everyday at Tropical Smoothie at work I'd be doing a lot better. Anyway I hope some of this helps, I didn't mean to jot down my whole diet.

No, thank you so much for your response...I really appreciate it. I really like beans, but I don't react well to them. Clif Bars are a must! What is Vega? We have rice protein powder but I don't usually make shakes, maybe I should try to do that more...

For your veggies, I bought a two-tiered steamer, and that is the best thing ever!! Just plug it in, turn the timer on, and go away! The veggies come out perfectly, imo. I don't know if that would help you get your veggies in. So maybe I will try to get my calories in to about 1500 per day for a bit, just to see how that works.

I'm about your height (just under 5'8). All bodies are different, but I can let you know what has worked for me in the past: If you're trying to *lose weight* as a pretty active person, I wouldn't advise going over 1500-1600 . At least I know that I can't without maintaining/plateauing.

*For me*, 1500 calories a day while keeping to a pretty diligent training schedule has worked well, and is plenty for adequate energy (assuming you are being calorie efficient, and eating healthy, whole foods). For the periods that I've worked out less, I've found that 1500 calories maintains my weight, and 12-1300 calories results in weight loss (of course, I wasn't working out then, so I'm sure I was losing muscle as well).

This is a pretty good guide:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php

Hope that helps!

Yes, that does help, thank you! I did lose a lot of weight when I restricted my calories to 1200, and then I started getting tired, and everyone told me to eat more, so I did, but I still want to lose more weight...so I think I will try 1500-1600. Thanks!

I was just thinking of something that I learned during my personal training course. 3500 calories equal 1 pound. So it would make sense that the general rule of losing weight is to lose 1/2-2 pounds a week. Like you said if you eat too little you don't have energy to workout, but if you eat too much you don't lose.

You need to eat to lose weight. Sounds funny doesn't it? i tried restricting my calories a lot during the summer to shed bodyfat but I just ended up getting tired and irritable, and the scale didn't budge. I started eating more and quit stressing about it and the 5 pounds I wanted to get rid of dropped off of me.

My rules of dieting:

1. Never count calories! Lol. Just eat clean. Eat when you're hungry, always eat breakfast, and have multiple small meals a day.

2. Eat raw whenever possible.

3. Be active!! When you have energy to work out, WORK OUT! Do activities that are fun and active at the same time.

4. I actually gave up all caffeine. It's nice because now I don't get energy boosts/crashes.

OOOOO, caffeine!! My vice!! I have been battling that one for quite a while.

I have heard people say that when you eat more you keep your metabolism going and it speeds up. I think mine may have been a bit low from before when I didn't really eat at regular intervals during the day. I think it has improved a great deal now...before I wasn't ever hungry at all, not the case now...

I lost a lot of weight with 1200 calories also. I just want to lose maybe 5 - 10 more pounds. I somewhat think in order to do that I am going to have to lose some muscle. I think that may be harder than losing fat. I don't know. Maybe not. I remember when I lost my thirty pounds this past year, that didn't seem too difficult. Now it is a bit harder. I think my body was happily feeding off my nasty stored up fat energy. I don't think it likes to eat the muscle as readily.

Isn't that what normally happens, when cutting? You lose some muscle too, correct?

I lost a lot of weight with 1200 calories also. I just want to lose maybe 5 - 10 more pounds. I somewhat think in order to do that I am going to have to lose some muscle. I think that may be harder than losing fat. I don't know. Maybe not. I remember when I lost my thirty pounds this past year, that didn't seem too difficult. Now it is a bit harder. I think my body was happily feeding off my nasty stored up fat energy. I don't think it likes to eat the muscle as readily.

Isn't that what normally happens, when cutting? You lose some muscle too, correct?

For me, Xtend by Scivation allows this to be very minimal (muscle loss while losing fat). One of the greatest drinks for muscle preservation IMHO.

I can never find anyone close to my height and weight but I'm 4'9, weigh 94 lbs, and it takes we forever to lose any fat on 1200 calories, even if i do 2 hours of cardio. When I went down to 1000-1100 calories I finally lost about 2 lbs a month. I'm about 23% body fat and I was trying to cut for a figure competition. I didn't make my competition weight of 85 lbs.

I am trying to bulk now but I gain fat very easily and it takes me forever to get it off so I'm afraid of gaining fat. My maintainence calories seem to be about 1300 when I do moderately cardio. Any suggestions on how much I should eat? I want to gain muscle mass without gaining much fat.

I'm ~5'9" and 135 pounds and I'm maintaining pretty good at 2200 - 2300 calories a day. That said, its different for everyone and below 2000 calories my body rebels and I can't move I'm so tired, but weight stays the same. I can't imagine getting only 1500, or anything in the teens! I wouldn't be able to get out of bed let along workout. There are a lot of good calculators out there (exrx.net jumps to mind), even though that is only a guideline, I'd suggest starting there and adjusting calorie amounts and activity levels from there.

I can never find anyone close to my height and weight but I'm 4'9, weigh 94 lbs, and it takes we forever to lose any fat on 1200 calories, even if i do 2 hours of cardio. When I went down to 1000-1100 calories I finally lost about 2 lbs a month. I'm about 23% body fat and I was trying to cut for a figure competition. I didn't make my competition weight of 85 lbs.

I am trying to bulk now but I gain fat very easily and it takes me forever to get it off so I'm afraid of gaining fat. My maintainence calories seem to be about 1300 when I do moderately cardio. Any suggestions on how much I should eat? I want to gain muscle mass without gaining much fat.

At that height, weight, and bf, maintenance averages around 1200 if you're not exercising. With light exercise it's around 1400, and with moderate around 1600. Of course, each person is different.

If you're that afraid of gaining fat, you might try staying around 1300-1400 calories, alternating weights with cardio, and eating high-protein, low-fat. Do you currently lift?

At that height, weight, and bf, maintenance averages around 1200 if you're not exercising. With light exercise it's around 1400, and with moderate around 1600. Of course, each person is different.

If you're that afraid of gaining fat, you might try staying around 1300-1400 calories, alternating weights with cardio, and eating high-protein, low-fat. Do you currently lift?

Those calorie ranges work for me, and I'm 5'7. She's 4'9, though.

Tough situation. One of my best friends is about 5', and if she eats a freakin' slice of pizza, it shows.

I guess it depends how much and often you lift.... 1000 calories a day does sound awfully low, but if that's what works.... (bring on the steamed veggies!!)

I've been monitoring my weight and intake closely, and my maintenence with moderate exercise seems to be about 1300-1350, not 1400-1600, probably because I am in my late 40's.

I've been lifting 3 days a week, doing HIIt 3 days a week, and maintaining with 1300-1350 calories, about 50/30/20 and 40/40/20 macro split. I eat really clean, no junk , vegetables eaten mostly raw. Carbs are more from fruits and vegetables.

I am afraid of gaining fat but I want to gain mass. I just don't want to spend 6 months on 1000 calories doing 2 hours of cardio a day to get the fat off.

yeah, I know 1000 sounds low but I tried for 8 months to lose fat on 1200 calories and I couldn't. Sucks being so short. If I gain one pound of fat it really shows.

I am afraid of gaining fat but I want to gain mass. I just don't want to spend 6 months on 1000 calories doing 2 hours of cardio a day to get the fat off.

Perhaps it's not a matter of doing more cardio for you, perhaps it's upping your game in the weight room. Cut back to what you can maintain long-term, 1000-1200 ish, add an extra 20 minutes to your routine and dedicate yourself to an extra day of weight lifting. I've found that 4 days a week really does make a difference.

I've been monitoring my weight and intake closely, and my maintenence with moderate exercise seems to be about 1300-1350, not 1400-1600, probably because I am in my late 40's.

Ah, I used 25 as an age, so that'll take about 100-125 calories out of the equations. That seems reasonably close, then.

I've been lifting 3 days a week, doing HIIt 3 days a week, and maintaining with 1300-1350 calories, about 50/30/20 and 40/40/20 macro split. I eat really clean, no junk , vegetables eaten mostly raw. Carbs are more from fruits and vegetables.

Maybe switch from HIIT to aerobic? Opinions differ on which is best to alternate with weights. I find if I'm trying to gain, the extra intra-workout fat burn helps more than the EPOC from anaerobic, and since I'm eating enough, it doesn't cannibalize my muscle (plus BCAAs seem to be helping).

I realize that I'm taller and heavier than most of you (5'10" and 159 lbs), but what worked for me still applies. I used to maintain on 1800 calories when I was about 140 lbs and about 106 lbs lean mass. A gain of 12 lbs of muscle increased my metabolism enough that I was maintaining on 2500 calories per day. I'm currently bulking and need to go over 3,000 calories per day to gain (since gaining more muscle).

I was thin my entire life and had to overcome years of mental conditioning in order to consider gaining weight. It doesn't happen overnight (especially for those of us in our 40's) and there is some fat gain with muscle gain, as well as muscle loss with fat loss. However, nothing can reset your metabolism like putting on muscle. And you have a better chance of eating an adequate amount of vitamins/minerals/phytonutrients/etc when you are eating over 2,000 calories per day vs. under 1,500 calories. I know there are some who disagree with me, but I don't believe you should be doing much cardio (or none at all) while trying to add muscle - lift heavier! Pull out the cardio when you need help with cutting fat.

I'm ~5'9" and 135 pounds and I'm maintaining pretty good at 2200 - 2300 calories a day. That said, its different for everyone and below 2000 calories my body rebels and I can't move I'm so tired, but weight stays the same. I can't imagine getting only 1500, or anything in the teens! I wouldn't be able to get out of bed let along workout. There are a lot of good calculators out there (exrx.net jumps to mind), even though that is only a guideline, I'd suggest starting there and adjusting calorie amounts and activity levels from there.

You are probably pretty slender, then, right? You are two inches taller than me and my weight. I have a medium body frame, I have pretty curvy hips, etc., but I still would like to get to at least 130.

I think I'm going to add 50-100 calories at a time to maintenance and monitor my weight/body composition. I'm also coming off of a pre-competition diet (3 weeks ago). My body is still adjusting. I've heard horror stories of competitors rebounding and gaining 10-20 pounds in the first week after the competition.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have hit a plateau. I am currently at 135-136 lbs. At least I haven't gained this past month when I wasn't training as much. Hopefully when I bump up my cardio again, I can lose a few more pounds. I think I'm getting more toned, and some people have said I've lost, but I'm not where I want to be. I think I will be more content at 125-130, if I ever get there, and if that's a reasonable goal for me.