New to the site...

Spooner

Hi, my name is Steven, and I am new to the site. I have only been vegan for around 2 months or so, but I am doing really well with it. I have been supplementing with hemp protein smoothies, walking around a lot, and skateboarding. My girlfriend has helped me change my diet and get back up to 130 lbs, which has been difficult due to my newly found sobriety. The beer I drank all the time was a major part of my caloric intake, and I lost about 8-10 lbs, but I have gained it back. I also have ALD, which means that the external cortex of my adrenal glands is dead, so I have to take fludrocortisone and cortef daily to stay alive and deal with physical stress. Being new here, I guess I don't really know where to start... If you have any useful bits of information to throw my way I am all ears...er..eyes.

This is awesome, I don't know where to begin really. I am a hard gainer, but I also skateboard, so I am looking for ways to bulk up but not lose flexibility... Anything that helps fast twitch muscle fiber is a plus. I am 130 lbs and 5 foot 7...

Welcome, Steven!

Wow, sounds like alcohol isn't your thing. I love beer but I only use it moderately, a couple every now and then.

Anyway, great to hear you're doing well. Keep getting enough whole foods and we'll help you to gain even more weight, in your muscles of course.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. The ppl here know everything about vegan nutrition and working out!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome !

I had a problem with beer too (and other alcohols); I feel so much better without any of it now.

About ALD, I don't know anything about it, so don't take my advice as if I was a doctor, but I just tought I could tell you about what I've read: people from the natural hygiene, like Dr. Herbert Shelton, claim they can cure about ALL diseases or health problems that can possibly exist, and they cured cancers, diabetes, etc. Just by avoiding everything unatural and processed; with fasting, rest, and natural, living foods (fruits and greens). So they say that all medecines, drugs, etc don't solve any problems, just masking the symptoms.

I am a hard gainer, but I also skateboard, so I am looking for ways to bulk up but not lose flexibility... Anything that helps fast twitch muscle fiber is a plus.

What you need is a program that englobes everything: strength, speed, endurance, flexibility and coordination.

Like weightlifting in circuit training, mixing some bodyweight training, free weights, not too heavy loads. To help fast twitch muscles fibers do stuff like push-ups and pull-ups, but always the fastest you can, especially during the concentric phase of the movements. Do shadowboxing with small weights or other exercices that allow you to train with explosiveness, endurance, etc...

Welcome! As far as helping fast twitch muscle fibers goes, I would have to say that for me jumping, and doing fast type movements help a lot. I take a group class that focusues on jumping, and cardio. I suck at jumping, but it seems to have helped me get faster, and stronger. When I stick to doing the class I see progress with my running. Plyometric moves might also help you.

• 2 weeks later...