Do we use what we eat?

Bigbwii

If none of the nutrients we get from cooked food is usable then how do we bodybuild? Raw Fruits/Veggies are far from what they should be due to pollution and pre-post harvesting practises! So What makes us grow? Do we take the healing capacity of our bodies for granted?

Do you also think that man made foods such as Bread/pasta, soy cheese, tofu products, etc, can be used by the body?

Check out the links below

http://rawguru.com/science.html

http://rawguru.com/rawvscook.html

Edited by Bigbwii

Hey Buddy, How do you know this? are you talking about cooking or softening the food?

Cooking softens the hemicellulose of vegetables, allowing the nutrients that are present in the food to be more accessible for digestion. Nutrition Today Nov-Dec. 2003

Just a fairly vague blurb I know, but I can't remember the source of everything I have read over the years. I do know that things like soybeans are a good source of protein and are completely indigestible uncooked. Chickpeas are actually poisonous unless cooked.

That said, we could all use more raw stuff, well most of us anyway. Plenty of nutrients are destroyed by cooking, especially at high temperatures. In seeking an ideal diet, I would personally like to achieve a balance of raw and cooked. Currently I am way out of balanced on the cooked side.

Edited by michaelhobson

if one was to ingest only exactly what the body needs, then would we still urinate and poop?

Yes, definitely. The body needs bulk/fiber to move food through the intestine. Different things are absorbed at different places along the way. You have to have enough bulk to keep things moving through, then of course out the other end with that bulk.

Urination is a must too. You have to burn calories to keep moving, burning creates waste that has to leave the body. You have to drink more water than your body absorbs in order to keep this waste flowing out.

well there goes that plan

Yeah, eliminating waste is a rediculous process! It's a bothersome process that interrupts our lives throughout the day. I think weekly or monthly waste elimination would be more appropriate.

I remember reading recently about some animal, I think a fox in Australia that never urinates! It has unbelievably effecient kidneys! That would be cool.

Exactly! I read those things which analyze the length of time in your life you spend doing things. I dunno how many hours / days the average person spends in the toilet evacuating their guts. But think of what you could do with that time instead, for instance; go for a walk, play frisbee, post your mail, get some extra sleep, phone a friend, read a book. But instead, we have turds come out

I read on the toilet out of habit, as I used to be on there a long time. Since being vegan I only read about 2 lines of text and then I'm all done. I dunno why I still do it, there isn't really a point to it. I hope this information is of use to you all.