First Muay Thai Class

They'll let you know what you need to bring to future classes. You probably just need shorts, t-shirt and a towel. They'll tell you what kind of gloves to get (probably 12 or 16oz boxing gloves that they'll sell). A cup is a must when you start sparring, and maybe even for pad work. They'll tell you when to buy all the other stuff.

Definitely don't bring an attitude! Go with an open mind. Attitude is just another obstacle to learning and will just get your a$$ kicked when you start sparring. Just be ready to start with the basics. Have a blast!

Sorry threeloaves. I was over prepared for my first Muay Thai class because I had previous martial arts experience. I have a huge gym bag and had more stuff in there than I listed. I forgot to mention the rib protector. I had trained in another style of kickboxing before MT and I got TKOed by a left hook to my right temple. It was cool getting whacked hard for the first time in my life.

When you start sparring, be prepared to get your ass kicked if you're a newbie. Another newbie in my MT class, who had been training for 3-4 weeks, was sparring with one of our instructors. My instructor faked a low roundhouse kick, newbie dropped his hands, instructor kicked high instead, and kicked newbie in the head. Newbie got KTFO!

• 10 months later...

I just started Muay Thai a couple of months ago and for my first session I just had shorts and a tshirt, and a bottle of water. They should provide you with anything else you need for the mean time. Just ask your instructors, they should be happy to show you what to look for when buying equipment, and how things should fit. Even now I only use hand wraps, ankle supports, gloves, shorts, tshirt, shin pads and when sparring possibly a belly pad (which I doubt you will be expected to buy) and mouth guard. Enjoy, it is awesome!!

• 1 month later...

Mouth guard, Wrist tape or wraps and some balls... Myabe something to protect them too. Maybe also if you arent attending every day, take a notebook to take notes after class, so that you can run thru things... *loves yourtube**... You dont want 2 get sloppy because you had days or a week btw classes... You want to learn as much in as little time as possible, or at least I would..

• 9 months later...