New to doing it the healthy way....

Vegan_sweetgal

Heya everyone,

I'm 24, living in Plymouth, UK with my partner and as the topic says, I'm new to getting toned the healthy way - previously I have stuck to crash dieting and over doing it with the exercise which unfortunately led to an eating disorder, I recovered from that about 2 years ago but understandably my partner didn't trust me with exercise and had a tendancy to push food at me at every opportunity.

I have now earned his trust again and am not overweight by any means but I am a little lumpy and would like to get toned again, but want to do it the healthy way, a concept that is a bit alien to me, so hopefully you guys can help me out a bit on that score.

Rather than concentrating on weight loss I am focusing on toning up, just getting back into the exercise and I am working out 30mins per day 4 - 6 times per week, alternating strength training with cardio. I am a bit lossed with the nutrition side of things at the mo and am hoping to get some ideas from this site.

Sorry for the long intro but I just wanted to let you know where I am coming from, thanks and hello x

Sorry about the long intro

Hi sweet girl. I too am recovering from an ED, but I guess I'm leaving the nutritional info to someone else. My tip could be just: eat healthy and head for the gym (if you're not feeling uncomfortable about it) or get a pair of weights and do something at home. You should get in shape in no time with just a little excercising as your muscles start to get bigger. There's no need for you to try to get your bodyfat lower, as you might relapse to ED again. Start not to think of your weight, but instead the weights you're lifting. Focusing to something else than what your mirror shows you, will make it easier for you. Or at least that what happened to me after a while.

Best of luck to you sweetie and welcome.

Hi Sweetgal & welcome to the forum!

So you want help with diet.. The diet section on here is one of my favorites, with lots of ideas & recipes.But as for specific diets for toning up, I think the key would be to get the right amount of quality calories.Eating whole foods like oats, bran, lots of fruit, vegetables, etc... & yummy things like olives, pickles, nuts, seeds & beans, in small portions throughout the day.The most important thing is eat stuff you enjoy that is healthy! Cut out the crap food that is yummy like donuts & stuff, & replace them with healthy stuff that is yummy like melons, grapes & peaches (some of my favorite foods)

As I said, go to the diet section, & maybe ask specifically the female members of this forum by private messaging them (as a guy trying to gain weight I am not really in a position to help that much! )

Best wishes & I hope you enjoy achieving your goals.

And you look super hot in your pic!

Heya everyone,

I'm 24, living in Plymouth, UK with my partner and as the topic says, I'm new to getting toned the healthy way - previously I have stuck to crash dieting and over doing it with the exercise which unfortunately led to an eating disorder, I recovered from that about 2 years ago but understandably my partner didn't trust me with exercise and had a tendancy to push food at me at every opportunity.

I have now earned his trust again and am not overweight by any means but I am a little lumpy and would like to get toned again, but want to do it the healthy way, a concept that is a bit alien to me, so hopefully you guys can help me out a bit on that score.

Rather than concentrating on weight loss I am focusing on toning up, just getting back into the exercise and I am working out 30mins per day 4 - 6 times per week, alternating strength training with cardio. I am a bit lossed with the nutrition side of things at the mo and am hoping to get some ideas from this site.

Sorry for the long intro but I just wanted to let you know where I am coming from, thanks and hello x

Sorry about the long intro

im sure you've heared it many times but just in case you havnt...eat in moderation but often, instead of one or two monster meals and nothing else.

Have u always been vegan? Is it nutrition as a whole you're concerned about or more specifically nutrition with a vegan diet?

Have loads of low GI carbs; grains, oats, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta and rice etc; some of these (like bread) have a reasonable amount of protein in them too.

Then have loads of beans, seeds, nuts (they are high in fat, but good fats ), pusles etc. meat substitutes are fine IMO but not neccessary.

Something like a big bowl of porridge in the morning, or mueseli with soy yoghurt, 2 potatoes and a tin of beans for lunch, and lentils or vegan curry with rice and pitta gives me plenty of energy and nutrition; with loads of fruit and veg between meals, along with some nuts, seeds and dried fruit.

(Like you I'm not really trying to lose weight but to get stronger and more ripped; 'toned' dosnt sound very masculine )

Thanks for the lovely welcome people.

Mik, I have been vegetarian since the age of 11, but only turned Vegan about 3 years ago, basically I am just trying to re-teach myself about nutrition and trying to remember that some fats are good, I think I will make a post on the nutrition board so that it doesn't turn to a discussion here. Thanks for the tips though, I think I am near enough eating the right things I am just a bit of a worrier is all.

Dan, thanks for the complement, that is really kind. Vegan doughnuts isn't a problem for me anymore though, I hadn't eaten vegan doughnuts since I first went vegan and a few months ago and decided to make my own - I managed to splash the oil on my hand - I now have a blemish on my hand in the shape of a little mans head - enough to put me off - LOL.

HCPinGviini, thanks for letting me know there are other people like me out there, some people now act as if I have no business wanting to keep in shape because of past problems - so thanks for that x

What a lovely bunch you all are!

Welcome to vbbf, btw don't worry about "long intros". You should of seen mine, I had to cut myself off and it was really a "re-introduction"

The more we know and the more you're willing to share, the more we're able to give you our help and support. Let me wish you success on your quest to tone up/get defined.

Welcome to the forum, I think that makes a total of 8 of us from the UK now or something ludicrous... I have trouble with eating also, it wasn't diagnosed as a "disorder" but I'd call it that, I'm rubbish. Do you get much variety of vegany type foods down in Plymouth?

Dan, thanks for the complement, that is really kind. Vegan doughnuts isn't a problem for me anymore though, I hadn't eaten vegan doughnuts since I first went vegan and a few months ago and decided to make my own - I managed to splash the oil on my hand - I now have a blemish on my hand in the shape of a little mans head - enough to put me off - LOL.

Hey you You are welcome to the compliment, you are definately very good looking, & I dont mind saying it because not enough people give compliments!

Sorry to hear about your donut trauma, you dont expect it from something that tastes so nice! Although I am impressed you tried to make your own! Maybe one day you will forgive the donuts?!

See you around the forum sweetgal x

Do you get much variety of vegany type foods down in Plymouth?

Well it's not too bad, there are 2 veggie restaurants here and a few health food shops - so it's all good.

Never been to Plymouth, what's it like down there?

Well i'm not that fussed with it, it's a navy town - so a bit laddish, but I am moving back to Wales next year.

Maybe one day you will forgive the donuts?!

Never can I forgive the donuts, they are secretly evil - like caterpillars!

Caterpillars?!

Did an evil caterpillar have a hand in the donut fiasco? Or have you had a separate caterpillar incident? I cant really think of any ways caterpillars could have caused any incidents, apart from when you find one in your brocolli.Thats just gross.

Caterpillars?!

Did an evil caterpillar have a hand in the donut fiasco? Or have you had a separate caterpillar incident? I cant really think of any ways caterpillars could have caused any incidents, apart from when you find one in your brocolli.Thats just gross.

No caterpillars were not involved in the donut incident, they are just evil, I used to have odd dreams about them attacking me as a child - they are not to be trusted!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on recovering, ED's are not an easy thing to step out of and i'm so happy for you. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be fit and it's a healthy outlet as long as you do it right and gradually. Take you timem, you have my support and everyone elses i'm sure and btw, there are no 'lumps' in your avatar