hej! new member looking to work from scratch and gain!

chrisrolinski

Hi! I am 25 and have been vegan for almost 8 months. I live in the UK and I am a PhD student. My goals for fitness and building are to increase my body mass and muscle tone, primarily through swimming - though I am totally open to light weight work.

I'm not sure I have a very good 'canvas' to work with - but have to start somewhere right, I had an eating disorder in the past, which has left me fairly slender and awkward looking. Since starting to swim 5 days a week and eat more I have put some bulk back on. I am 6. 2" tall and weight 148-150 lbs - which I want to change dramatically. I figure that age 25 is a good year to make some positive changes. I'll be snooping around the site for tips and hopefully asking lots of stupid n00b questions!

Welcome!

I was 26 when I started and I was about the same size as you. I'm sure you can do wonders in just one years if you just stick to eating a LOT and training 3-4 times a week. I actually thought I have a lousy "canvas" but I guess it's ok. Eating properly can change your whole appearance!

What's the subject of your doctoral thesis, btw?

I live in the North right now, Manchester. My thesis is a cultural history of the collection of exotic animals in museums and menageries in eighteenth-century Britain. I look at motivations for collecting and sensory engagements with these animals. I look at the cultural history of animals - I am trying to think and write about what people in the eighteenth-century 'saw' when they looked at an exotic animal, touched it, and smelt it etc. Part of the thesis looks at the politics of the period and looks at exotic animals as political symbols of nationhood, national identity,gender, and climate. Some of the content borders onto early debate on animal rights and ethics. I started this project when I wasn't a vegan (in fact I started as an omnivore) - now I am I plan to finish it with a epilogue with a few thoughts on animals as objects in contemporary museums and zoos.

Sorry for that long winded explanation!

Tuc, I hope I can make as much progress as you! I have noticed some difference in energy since I have started swimming and exercising/lifting wiht dumbells. Just need to eat more and not give up.

I live in the North right now, Manchester. My thesis is a cultural history of the collection of exotic animals in museums and menageries in eighteenth-century Britain. I look at motivations for collecting and sensory engagements with these animals. I look at the cultural history of animals - I am trying to think and write about what people in the eighteenth-century 'saw' when they looked at an exotic animal, touched it, and smelt it etc. Part of the thesis looks at the politics of the period and looks at exotic animals as political symbols of nationhood, national identity,gender, and climate. Some of the content borders onto early debate on animal rights and ethics. I started this project when I wasn't a vegan (in fact I started as an omnivore) - now I am I plan to finish it with a epilogue with a few thoughts on animals as objects in contemporary museums and zoos.

That sounds very interesting

Well, that sounds a bit harsh!

Dude, spare a thought for me.. I have worked as an accountant for 8 years now.It is easily one of the most boring things you could ever do with your life.It makes what you are doing look like being an astronaut.

I am lookingto change my career at the moment, looking for other jobs in different more interesting careers.

What do you plan to do after study?

• 2 weeks later...