Would you like the nasty political discussions to go away?

beforewisdom

Do you think the election threads are nasty and would you like them to voluntarily go away?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I realize it is election year and that the political discussions will likely become fewer after November 4th. I don't want the admins to censor anything.

Just curious.

Do you think the recent political threads an nasty and would you like to see them go away?

One thing I always liked about VBB was that is was a vegan forum that was actually had few political discussions. Other vegan forums turned me off in this regard. It seemed like everyone had a political opinion, everyone had to express it and everyone had to put somebody down for not agreeing with them.

I used to be bothered by it, but I really get into the political season like many others and I think because it is centralized within that section, it's not a big deal. That is an area where it is welcomed and encouraged, so I think it's fine and it has been a good place for people to express themselves.

A year ago I would have said something different, but I'm trying to let things fly a little more loosely, especially since we have so many specific categories that allow or encourage discussion about such topics.

Thanks for the concern, I know where you're coming from.

I just stay away from threads or sections that don't interest me and I think many do the same.

I just stay away from threads or sections that don't interest me and I think many do the same.

Thanks Robert, great point. There's no need for discussion to be quashed on a discussion board. If people don't like a discussion, they can ignore it. Personally I love politics and politics is my full-time job, but I don't comment on many political threads, simply because the stress level isn't worth the energy, but other people clearly enjoy posting on them, and I'm glad that people are engaged in this election.

what does a foe list do, and its just one douche who is pushing everyones buttons, and yeah I am still calling names, but by Cleveland definition thats what he is.

fuck it I say

Yeah. I just don't see the point in those most recent threads. He's starting the discussion with links, without adding any own ideas on the subject and then starts to rant, when people are giving their own ideas about the subject and then accuses everyone for calling him racisist/names. He doesn't bother to read other peoples messages properly and focuses on unrelevant things instead of answering to other people properly - even when they are being polite and neutral.

He just seems like he's looking for a fight.

He doesn't bother to read other peoples messages properly and focuses on unrelevant things instead of answering to other people properly - even when they are being polite and neutral.

I agree - the trouble isn't political discussion. It's that one of the main protagonists isn't interested in debate, just in belittling people who disagree with him (or in fact anyone who participates).

Offtopic for a moment: HCPinGviini - did I meet you at VFW earlier this year? I saw you in a couple of the pics but not sure I remember, perhaps you left after the weekend? I didn't arrive until the Sunday night.

Thanks Robert, great point. There's no need for discussion to be quashed on a discussion board.

If nobody is asking for posts to censored isn't using "quash" as a word confusing?

but other people clearly enjoy posting on them, and I'm glad that people are engaged in this election.

I haven't seen joy in those threads. Anger, yes. Joy, no.

Many people enjoy debates, some even enjoy a friendly argument, but where is the fun in pissing over how people feel about you in a place where you want to have friendly conversations?

Beforewisdom,

I think it's always worthwhile to learn the opinions of "the other side".

If your FT job is politics, you should pay more attention- since, unfortunately, there are a bunch of people who share his opinions.

I agree with Robert that you should just ignore it if it bothers you. Don't feed the troll.

Beforewisdom,

I think it's always worthwhile to learn the opinions of "the other side".

I have discussions just like that with a hard right wing friend at work. Frankly, I don't think that is the spirit of the discussions referred to here.

Its about people lashing out at views they find offensive and others getting defensive then giving them back some of their own medicine in terms of perceived hostility.

I agree with Robert that you should just ignore it if it bothers you. Don't feed the troll.

The people involved aren't trolls. Trolls are people, who having no interest in the subject of a forum, post messages with the deliberate intent of upsetting people for their own amusement. Everyone involved in these threads is a vegan or follows a vegan diet as well as having an interest in fitness. I take your implied point though, maybe some people weren't trolls when they got here, but maybe they are posting now with the direct intent to offend.

Offtopic for a moment: HCPinGviini - did I meet you at VFW earlier this year? I saw you in a couple of the pics but not sure I remember, perhaps you left after the weekend? I didn't arrive until the Sunday night.

I was there only for the weekend, yes. But I guess that our eyes met (if you're Spug) for a short period of time just before I left.

I think people who intelligently articulate conservative view points are more interesting than the lefty speech police I've encountered on this and Other vegan forums. I don't find either sides anaylsis to be intelligent or rational.

I don't understand why you would have that impression of VBBF since your profile reads that you only joined the forum yesterday and have only made 5 posts. That isn't enough time to see the "speech police" on the worst of vegan web boards. Are you a long time lurker or a regular posting using a second identity?

I've been on VBBF a lot and I think it is unfair to say that it has censorship. The admis rarely tell someone to stop a subject or leave.

This thread was started by yours truly. I'm not an admin and I'm not asking them to step in.

It was obvious to me when VJ first posted all that illogical and inaccurate stuff and then he tried to defend it with weird personal attacks and more xenophobia, that the discussion with him was going to go nowhere. I'm not in a place in my life right now where I have the time or the energy to slaughter that kind of analysis, but sometimes, I will, and when I do, I dig it.

So I just stopped responding to him.

He's acting like a troll. He isn't interesting in broadening his understanding or even in trying to just look at the underpinnings of other peoples' arguments and positions.

It's so bad, I was thinking he might not even be serious about all this. He's such a caricature at this point, he just might be pulling all of our legs for a few laughs.

Everyone needs a few laughs, so I hope these threads don't get killed. But I also hope people stop responding to posts like VJ's as if they are talking to someone requesting serious analytical discourse.