811 and zinc

xjohanx

Yo 811 guys, how do you get all your zinc?

I know that there is a little in fruit and that you eat a lot of fruit, but still, is it enough?

RDI in Sweden is 12mg for a grown male. If you're an athlete you need more and if you are sexually actve you need more again.

1 Extra large Banana (152 grams) gives 0,2 mg of zinc according to nutriton data. That would mean you would eat 60 of them (9,12 kg) to get 12mg.

Bananas are supposed to be the fruit highest in zinc, allthough dates have a little bit higher according to ND.

hy

I am on 811, I have not thought about zinc so far, I think there is enough in the fruit I eat.

Of course I do not eat 60 bananas a day but 30 is no problem, usually I have 20 at a normal day.

I used to supplement before I went raw or vegan... but now I think it would put unneccessary stress on my body to eat pills, and it would not be used at all. I think the nutrients in the whole foods are much easier to digest and use, just the right ammount our body needs.

I still have zinc pills(50mg) on my shelf but I havent touched it for months. I should have got rid of it alredy.

thats for me

I am eager to hear others opinion on this subject as well

A cup of pumpkin seeds will give a person 10 mg of zinc. Granted it comes with a whopping 750 calories and only 33 grams of protein, but if you a person is eating mostly salads and protein powder for the rest of the day it could fit into a semi-adequate diet.

That begs the question though if "811" means 80% carbs, 10% protein, and 10% fat on a raw foods diet.

A cup of pumpkin seeds will give a person 10 mg of zinc. Granted it comes with a whopping 750 calories and only 33 grams of protein, but if you a person is eating mostly salads and protein powder for the rest of the day it could fit into a semi-adequate diet..

"only" 33g protein? that's a pretty good portion of protein for the day.

hy

I am on 811, I have not thought about zinc so far, I think there is enough in the fruit I eat.

Of course I do not eat 60 bananas a day but 30 is no problem, usually I have 20 at a normal day.

I used to supplement before I went raw or vegan... but now I think it would put unneccessary stress on my body to eat pills, and it would not be used at all. I think the nutrients in the whole foods are much easier to digest and use, just the right ammount our body needs.

I still have zinc pills(50mg) on my shelf but I havent touched it for months. I should have got rid of it alredy.

thats for me

I am eager to hear others opinion on this subject as well

Not thinking about it won't make the problem go away. How many kg of fruit do you eat and do you eat any nuts and seeds and if so how much?

A cup of pumpkin seeds will give a person 10 mg of zinc. Granted it comes with a whopping 750 calories and only 33 grams of protein, but if you a person is eating mostly salads and protein powder for the rest of the day it could fit into a semi-adequate diet.

That begs the question though if "811" means 80% carbs, 10% protein, and 10% fat on a raw foods diet.

Yeah that's what it does. The usual raw people eat a lot of nuts and seeds so they probably get more than enough. I think I get 90% of my zinc from nuts and seeds too but 811 is 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein which would make it fairly hard to eat a lot of those goodies.

theres zinc in nuts and seeds, 811 doesn't say not to eat nuts and seeds

No it says 80% of your energy should come from carbs. Since most seeds and nuts are 75% of cals from fat about 15% protein and only 10% carbs 811 basically says don't eat a lot of it, right?

A cup of pumpkin seeds will give a person 10 mg of zinc. Granted it comes with a whopping 750 calories and only 33 grams of protein, but if you a person is eating mostly salads and protein powder for the rest of the day it could fit into a semi-adequate diet..

Not by any nutrition standard based on scientific research and experience.

theres zinc in nuts and seeds, 811 doesn't say not to eat nuts and seeds

No it says 80% of your energy should come from carbs. Since most seeds and nuts are 75% of cals from fat about 15% protein and only 10% carbs 811 basically says don't eat a lot of it, right?

Yeah but just a handful of it is not a lot, and it's enough.

But anyway all these requirements are not necessarily accurate. How do they get to these numbers that we should get? It changes from a country to another, or from time to time, like especially concerning the protein amounts. Some scientist say we should eat 10 000 x the recommanded Vitamin C, to live healthier and longer, protected from all diseases.

I think the most important is quality over quantity. Some people are obese and overeat, even if they eat enough of all the micronutrients they don't get any because it's not absorbed well and assimilated.

I saw this sample diet on another website. It gives 20mg zinc. The c/p/f ratio is about 83/10/7. And there aren't any nuts or seeds!!! You might consider juicing some of these if it's too much to eat.

This will give you about 2200 usable kcals. The rest is going to be bound up in the fiber that passes through your GI tract.

Melons, cantaloupe, raw 400 g 136.0

Squash, zucchini, baby, raw 800 g 168.0

Cucumber, with peel, raw 800 g 120.0

Waxgourd, (chinese preserving melon), raw 800 g 104.0

Oranges, raw, Florida 400 g 184.0

Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average 400 g 72.0

Bananas, raw 400 g 356.0

Papayas, raw 400 g 156.0

Avocados, raw, California 200 g 334.0

Blackberries, frozen, unsweetened 200 g 128.0

Strawberries, frozen, unsweetened 400 g 140.0

Peppers, sweet, red, raw 400 g 104.0

Grapefruit, raw, pink and red, Florida 800 g 240.0

Melons, honeydew, raw 400 g 144.0

It's about 6 kg of fruit--13 lbs.

===========================================

Energy | 2386.0 kcal

Protein | 65.1 g

Carbs | 508.6 g

Fiber | 124.0 g

Starch | 28.5 g

Sugars | 253.9 g

Fat | 44.6 g

Alcohol | 0.0 g

Caffeine | 0.0 mg

Water | 6144.2 g

Ash | 37.5 g

Vitamins

Vitamin A | 42650.0 IU 1828%

Retinol | 0.0 µg

Alpha-carotene | 828.0 µg

Beta-carotene | 18714.0 µg

Beta-cryptoxanthin | 5734.0 µg

Lycopene | 11524.0 µg

Lutein+Zeaxanthin | 2878.0 µg

Folate | 1346.0 µg 336%

B1 (Thiamine) | 2.8 mg 255%

B2 (Riboflavin) | 3.2 mg 294%

B3 (Niacin) | 35.8 mg 256%

B5 (Pantothenic Acid)| 17.9 mg 357%

B6 (Pyridoxine) | 6.8 mg 519%

B12 (Cyanocobalamin) | 0.0 µg 0%

Vitamin C | 2126.2 mg 2835%

Vitamin D | 0.0 IU 0%

Vitamin E | 20.5 mg 137%

Beta Tocopherol | 0.4 mg

Delta Tocopherol | 0.1 mg

Gamma Tocopherol | 2.6 mg

Vitamin K | 306.8 µg 341%

Minerals

Calcium | 1132.0 mg 113%

Copper | 3.5 mg 390%

Iron | 24.7 mg 137%

Magnesium | 1026.0 mg 321%

Manganese | 9.0 mg 502%

Phosphorus | 1840.0 mg 263%

Potassium | 14706.0 mg 313%

Selenium | 35.2 µg 64% * a little low but probably good enough

Sodium | 1142.0 mg 76%

Zinc | 20.0 mg 250%

Intresting yes. Accurate, no. Fat is 17% (44,6 x 9,1 / 2386) of calories and no countrys RDI of zinc is 8 mg (as far as I know). BTW I didn't know 811s ate so much veggies.

Keep in mind that the USDA recommendation are built around sad paramators, so who knows how much Zinc someone actually needs. I'm be willing to bet that while on 811 the zinc in fruits and veggies is enough consdiering your not getting all the food and substances that would zap the zinc levels in your body.

I saw this sample diet on another website. It gives 20mg zinc. The c/p/f ratio is about 83/10/7. And there aren't any nuts or seeds!!! You might consider juicing some of these if it's too much to eat.

This will give you about 2200 usable kcals. The rest is going to be bound up in the fiber that passes through your GI tract.

Melons, cantaloupe, raw 400 g 136.0

Squash, zucchini, baby, raw 800 g 168.0

Cucumber, with peel, raw 800 g 120.0

Waxgourd, (chinese preserving melon), raw 800 g 104.0

Oranges, raw, Florida 400 g 184.0

Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average 400 g 72.0

Bananas, raw 400 g 356.0

Papayas, raw 400 g 156.0

Avocados, raw, California 200 g 334.0

Blackberries, frozen, unsweetened 200 g 128.0

Strawberries, frozen, unsweetened 400 g 140.0

Peppers, sweet, red, raw 400 g 104.0

Grapefruit, raw, pink and red, Florida 800 g 240.0

Melons, honeydew, raw 400 g 144.0

It's about 6 kg of fruit--13 lbs.

Intresting yes. Accurate, no. Fat is 17% (44,6 x 9,1 / 2386) of calories and no countrys RDI of zinc is 8 mg (as far as I know). BTW I didn't know 811s ate so much veggies.

they're all fruits, or fruit-vegetables if you want; growing from trees or plants

Not by any nutrition standard based on scientific research and experience.

Mmm no. For a male 5'8" (avg height in the US), you need 30-50 g protein per day. If you need more because you're active, then you'll be burning more calories and will be able to eat more food with more protein to meet higher needs. If you're taller, you need more protein and more calories (again, you can eat more to get your protein).

Say you want 60g protein and you need 2000 calories a day. That's only 3g protein per 100 calories- a slice of whole wheat bread has 3-4. Getting 33g protein for 750 calories is pretty decent.

beforewisdom, how many proteins you think humans need ? you mentioned "nutrition standard based on scientific research and experience." . Well, there's many stuff like that, and some of them proved that a group of persons with 30g of proteins were performing way better than a group with 60g in tests of endurance (holding the arm straight in front of you for hours, or bicycling)

do the 811's eat starchy vegetables like carrots etc.? because I don't know this one, and Graham said he is not a fruitarian he is a frugivore wich means fruits dominate his diet

Not supposed to eat carrots (and raw potatoes, stuff like that) on a fruitarian diet, but if it's just like 1 carrot per day and that there many fruits, why not? But I guess there's a difference between the 811 diet and a frugivore diet, the first one is mostly about the nutrient partitionning, the second one encompass all the aspects and is more strict.

I do not eat any seeds or nuts at all.

Those reccomendations are made for the people on SAD(Standard American Diet). Its completely useless for people like us, vegans or raw vegans. Our system does not have to face with so much chemicals and stuff, we can use nutrients better.

Got any sort of proof for this statement? It sounds like usual raw foodism BS.

Well, it is usual raw foodism

It is just my opinion, I am not arguing or something. Just think about when you heat thinks the nutrients get damaged or lost, enzymes, vitamins, stuff...

And we cant even know what is in the living food beacause for those nutrient test they have to cook the food and process it and stuff to see what is in it.

peace

But the amount could differ though it is not pure zinc in the food, it is biologically connected.

By the process it may change.

Our body maybe better in using the zinc in living food, than it is revealed after processing it in a tube or some stuff.

if you want a better answer you should ask somebody else its all guessing and spekulation by logic sense. (sorry for my bad english, I am tired.. going sleeep.)

Hi, I'm new here and I just wanted to make a clarification that 80/10/10 isn't the ideal ratio for someone following the program to shoot for. It's acually a limit for carbs, fats, and proteins. It would be ideal to stay well over 80% carbs, and below 10% in both fat and protein.

As for the zinc... I personally don't worry about vitamin and mineral intake. There are long time raw fooders who show no sign of zinc deficiency just from eating raw fruits, vegetables, and limited (or no) nuts/seeds(Rick Dina, Doug Graham, Durianrider). I myself haven't experienced any symptoms of any deficiency.

I haven't even felt the need to take vitamin b12 supplements recently(I've been eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables for around 4 months now), as opposed to pre-raw days where I would get into a fog and very tired, then take a b12 pill and feel better. Which must mean that there was a problem not with intake but with absorbtion... which makes me think that my new eating habits are enabling much better absorbtion of all vitamins and minerals.

We'll see how everything comes along down the road. So far things are great... not worrying about nutrition calculators or food labels, just listening to my body. It's good stuff, plenty of energy and perfect digestion! If I start falling apart in the near future, it's back to oats, pasta, and quinoa. (and fruits and veg of course)

yeah

thats for me, I am well over 80%, no nuts no seeds, just fresh ripe fruits and some leafy greens. Thats all, simple. Mono meals, full of energy, I look better than ever before. It means to me more than anything, I would not change this diet for anything. I am in the fourth month of 100%raw now, feeling greeeeeat.