Car pushing question

robert

In most car pushing (not pulling) contests you've been involved in or watched, are they usually judged by time or distance or both?

I'm planning one on a flat course of 100 feet in length and figured that it would come down to time, since 100 feet isn't very far. Perhaps I should extend it to 200 feet?

Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

i love this shit. i would say as long as you set a particular distance its just like any other race- the fastest to the end. but it would be cool to judge both speed and endurance by making it 500 feet with your time being taken at 50 to 100 feet intervals....kinda like the rabbit and the hare. i guess then the "winner" would be the man in the best overall shape. so one guy may push fast but only could go 215 feet while another could do the whole course but his first two intervals would be slower. then with some math the winner would be who averaged best.

oh wait maybe that wouldnt work?

yeah a speed race might be easier.

fuck i hate cars but would love to do something like this. sounds very motivating. it also kinda makes me wonder if short distance or long distance runners are in better overall health. ultimatley thats what sports have been all about. celebrating the best you can be. with so many specific sports though its hard to determine. what do we have to determine that...like iron man?

Judge it by time. Even with a distance of 200 feet (which sounds fine), it's unlikely anyone wouldn't finish it. That is, if you're talking about a car car, not something like a 20-ton truck "car"

What is this contest for? And will you be posting videos?

Oooo, I love car pushing! Definatly for time, but places can be determined from distance if not everyone finishes. Even with a timed race, you should put a time limit on it so someone can't just keep pushing forever even though they don't make it. Does that make sense?

Oooo, I love car pushing! Definatly for time, but places can be determined from distance if not everyone finishes. Even with a timed race, you should put a time limit on it so someone can't just keep pushing forever even though they don't make it. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I've it listed as that..... 200 foot course that is timed..if no finishers, the greatest distance wins.

But now......it has been changed to a pull, rather than push.

Do you think a harness is required or will a rope and glove be sufficient?

The vehicle we're pulling is a special one, and the owner does not want any scrapes, dents, etc. from pushing the 1971 VW Bus that she hand-painted over 1.5 years, etc.

So now it has been changed to "pull" so I need to figure that aspect out. I think pushing would be easier and would be safe for the vehicle, etc. but I want to respect the vehicle owner of a popular painted fan in Hawaii that we'll be using.

I'll sort out the whole pulling thing. I think we can do it without a harness and I wouldn't know where to order one (though I guess I could order a couple from some powerlifting site or something if need be).

Car pushing is fun! Biggest I've pushed so far by myself was just a 1993 Lincoln Town Car. And it wasn't for a competition, my friend just needed it out of the road and into a parking lot.

Actually, I've never pushed a car for a competition, I've just had a lot of friends over the years with unreliable vehicles.