Personal Training Certification

RockCity

Good day,

I am considering a career change, and I would really like to be involved in the fitness industry. I recently moved to the Portland, OR area, and I am interested in pursuing a career as a personal trainer. Does anyone have an opinion as to what the best certification program is? Thanks

There are many personal trainer certs that you can get. Some have only written tests, but no practical hands on instruction. The best thing to do is to find the cert that has the best fit for you. I went with ISCA (International Sports Conditioning Association), they are a two day pt cert, and even though it is a beginner cert it is very thorough, and includes both a written and a hands on test. There's also ACE, which is only a written test, but I hear it is extremely tough, NPTI (National Personal Training Institute) which has six month long programs, but they are also more costly, around 5,000 dollars. There's also ISSA (International Sports Science Association) they are based in CA. AFFA is also a very good cert, they have three day workshops in different areas, and they also have discounted certs available twice a year, which is called APEX. There's also countless others that I don't know as much about. Good luck on finding the right fit.

Thanks for the info. I have done quite a bit of research since I posted that question this morning. I think that the ACE cert would be good for starting out and getting my foot in the door. Then I could always pick up a different somewhere down the road. I really just need to find a good place to work before I commit myself.

Edited by RockCity

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...