Yeah!!! OBAMA!!!! WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

RAINRA

75 days of the Bush Mis-administration left!
perhaps he will make the world explode before the end of his mandate (I'm not sarcastic... but I just said "maybe")

Technically you said Perhaps

Don't be such a pessimistic nilly . If you keep saying something bad's going to happen it will.

We must all come together as one in this country, we must follow the great words of this man, and follow the amazing day we all have lived to witness. This country has done something that so many though was never possible, we have rose above the prejudces of so many and elected a man of colour.

We must all see the power of this statement and end our needless bickerings.

Something needed to give, and it finally has, this is an oppertunity for change not witnessed ever by my eyes.

I hope that we take this amazing day with each and every one of us in our hearts and carry it with us for the upcoming days.

For the first time tonight since 9/11 I witnessed people singing our national anthem with tears of pride in their eyes, not the pride of fallen american souls but the pride that the creed this nation was founded on has come to light.

Well, CONGRATS to all voters for getting out. It'll be interesting to see how this country fares with one-party rule (the Dems also won majorities in the Senate and the House). At the least, this did something very profound: instilled hope again into the US.

Well, CONGRATS to all voters for getting out. It'll be interesting to see how this country fares with one-party rule (the Dems also won majorities in the Senate and the House). At the least, this did something very profound: instilled hope again into the US.

They will only have it for 2 years until midterm elections. I hope they use the power to get something big, visible and impressive done to have something to show for it. Democrats don't cooperate with each other fully the way Republicans do.

They will only have it for 2 years until midterm elections. I hope they use the power to get something big, visible and impressive done to have something to show for it. Democrats don't cooperate with each other fully the way Republicans do.

Really? How interesting. I've always remembered my political days where it was critical to "toe the line", although that might be more uniquely Canadian than American.

You guys have no idea how happy I am about Obama winning lol. I'm 17 (I wish I was 18 so I could've voted), so I've lived with Bush being president for about half my life. Sucks...

I found it funny how they didn't give out any information at all from like 10:30 to 11 because they didn't want to get anything wrong. Once the time hit 11PM, "Alright, it is 11 o'clock and Obama is the next president of the United States!" They didn't even bother to separate California, Oregon, and Washington. They just all lit up lmao. Gotta love it.

However...Kucinich was the man...and he was a vegan Oh well, Obama is the next best thing in my opinion.

You guys have no idea how happy I am about Obama winning lol. I'm 17 (I wish I was 18 so I could've voted), so I've lived with Bush being president for about half my life. Sucks...

I found it funny how they didn't give out any information at all from like 10:30 to 11 because they didn't want to get anything wrong. Once the time hit 11PM, "Alright, it is 11 o'clock and Obama is the next president of the United States!" They didn't even bother to separate California, Oregon, and Washington. They just all lit up lmao. Gotta love it.

However...Kucinich was the man...and he was a vegan Oh well, Obama is the next best thing in my opinion.

How so? He's not only not vegan, he's pro-death penalty and has supported the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as threatened to attack other countries such as Iran; Kucinich has consistently opposed war and capital punishment. Kucinich introduced a resolution to impeach Bush, and Obama opposed impeaching Bush. Kucinich opposed the Patriot Act and Obama supported it. Kucinich opposed the $700 billion Wall Street bailout, while Obama not only supported it, but called dozens of House members to encourage them to switch their votes to "yes." I could go on, but I think you get the idea. While Obama is certainly preferable to McCain or Palin, he's hardly comparable politically to Kucinich.

How so? He's not only not vegan, he's pro-death penalty and has supported the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as threatened to attack other countries such as Iran; Kucinich has consistently opposed war and capital punishment. Kucinich introduced a resolution to impeach Bush, and Obama opposed impeaching Bush. Kucinich opposed the Patriot Act and Obama supported it. Kucinich opposed the $700 billion Wall Street bailout, while Obama not only supported it, but called dozens of House members to encourage them to switch their votes to "yes." I could go on, but I think you get the idea. While Obama is certainly preferable to McCain or Palin, he's hardly comparable politically to Kucinich.

Ugh, I didn't really want to discuss politics. Sorry if my comment offended you, but they is what I mean: Kucinich was my favorite, and the only two realistic primary-winners were Obama and Hilary. Hilary was on the board of directors for Wal-Mart and Rupert Murdoch was fund raising for her. Out of these three, I would say Obama would be the next best thing.

Ugh, I didn't really want to discuss politics. Sorry if my comment offended you, but they is what I mean: Kucinich was my favorite, and the only two realistic primary-winners were Obama and Hilary. Hilary was on the board of directors for Wal-Mart and Rupert Murdoch was fund raising for her. Out of these three, I would say Obama would be the next best thing.

I'm certainly not offended, and I'm also glad to see Bush leaving the White House soon. I was just pointing out that Obama is, unfortunately in my view, on the opposite side of the fence from Kucinich on a lot of issues. As far as the Wal-Mart issue, I agree that that's pretty horrible that Clinton was on its board of directors, but then again, Obama appointed Jason Furman, a noted defender of Wal-Mart, as his chief economic advisor.

As far as who's raised money for or contributed to their campaigns is concerned, none of the major Presidential or Senate contenders has clean hands. For example, among Obama's top 20 contributors were individuals affiliated with top Wall Street firms Goldman Sachs (#2), JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, and Morgan Stanley.

Clinton and Obama have virtually identical voting records in the Senate since Obama has been in. However, the Clinton campaign's frequent racist appeals to white voters during the primaries were just totally unacceptable, and to its credit the Obama campaign never stooped to tactics like that.

{snip Kucinich is awesome} I could go on, but I think you get the idea. While Obama is certainly preferable to McCain or Palin, he's hardly comparable politically to Kucinich.

He did say "next best thing," not "almost as good." I love Kucinich too, but we're more likely to see cars that run on gumdrops and goodwill before we see him win even the primary.

{snip Kucinich is awesome} I could go on, but I think you get the idea. While Obama is certainly preferable to McCain or Palin, he's hardly comparable politically to Kucinich.

He did say "next best thing," not "almost as good." I love Kucinich too, but we're more likely to see cars that run on gumdrops and goodwill before we see him win even the primary.

Sure, agreed, but my point is that there's an awful lot of excitement about Obama among liberal/left-leaning voters that isn't warranted by his actual record and positions. He's a conventional, mainstream, moderate (conservative by European standards) Democrat who's raised more campaign contributions than any candidate in history, most of it--contrary to popular belief--from really wealthy people. He's not going to bite the hands that fed him, so to speak, unless there's a huge amount of popular pressure on him as there was on Roosevelt during the 1930s. And that's not going to happen as long as so many people have these illusions about who he is and what he stands for.

By the way, my sentiments about Kucinich aren't that he's "awesome." He has a great voting record and he's made a lot of terrific public statements over the years, but he backs down from any real confrontation with the Democratic Party leadership. An example was when in the spring he introduced his impeachment resolution against Bush, and then promptly dropped the whole matter, even voting to send his own bill to committee, when it became clear that hardly anyone besides Ron Paul would be willing to support it.