Ulcers

Tarz

Anyone else suffer from mouth/tongue ulcers?

I was mentioning it to someone and immediately they said to take Marmite (a yeast extract popular in the UK) because it contains B12 - and I said funny you should say that as they say the one thing vegans should especially watch out for is B12.... The person knows I am a vegan, but it was a general reply they'd give anyone, not one specifically aimed at a vegan.

I've researched it a bit and mouth ulcers can be a symptom of B12 defiency apparently. I never knew this.

I supplement with B12 now and again, and get it from fortified food - soy milk/margarine, cereals etc, so be very surprised if I was defiecient - probably due more to the time of year, as I'm trying to see off a cold and I get them when I'm run down and when I don't get enough sleep.

Sounds like you're probably talking about canker sores. It's typical to get these when you're stressed/tired/run down as you described. B12 requirements are so low that for someone who eats fortified foods, that's really the last thing you'd think of as a possible cause for these. It's also possible that they're caused by the herpes virus (much like cold sores, just inside the mouth).

Thanks medman.

Just had a quick read up on canker sores and was interested to discover that gluten could potentially be a trigger (not proven), as I'm sure I'm gluten intolerant and doing my best to give it up - only really pitta bread left to cut out now...

I used to get them ALL the time as a kid. Probably B12 deficiency. I wasn't a healthy child.. Now I only get them if I eat sugary foods.. Like candy or something. Or if I bite my tongue or something accidentally. They're annoying, but gargling with salt water works.