I need 2 root canals and lots of cavities fixed

threeloaves

I brush my teeth constantly, and floss at least once a day. I'm fairly clueless as to how this happened. My dentist was insisting that I must have a poor diet, and drink too much soda.

Anyway, the real dilemma is that I don't have dental insurance. I was told a root canal and crown for 1 tooth would be around $1,200. I've been dealing with the pain for quite some time, but lately its been really bad. The right side of my mouth hurts so bad that its forced me to chew only on my left.

Has anyone had any experience at a university clinic? Pittsburgh has a dental school that sees patients, and I think it's less expensive than a private dentist. Also, any suggestions for an individual dental plan would be appreciated also. I've looked at a couple online, but nothing seems that great.

My boyfriend is a hygienist, and when he started out he would do people's teeth at the university. I don't know too much about it though..

I have a question though.. Do you eat lots of raw fruits and veggies that are acidic? Like citrus fruits, tomatoes, and stuff like that?

The reason I ask is because foods like that can wear down your enamel, causing cavities below the gum line. It doesn't matter how diligently you brush either, unfortunately. It happened to another person I know. She ate lots of stuff like that.

My boyfriend is a hygienist, and when he started out he would do people's teeth at the university. I don't know too much about it though..

I have a question though.. Do you eat lots of raw fruits and veggies that are acidic? Like citrus fruits, tomatoes, and stuff like that?

The reason I ask is because foods like that can wear down your enamel, causing cavities below the gum line. It doesn't matter how diligently you brush either, unfortunately. It happened to another person I know. She ate lots of stuff like that.

I guess I eat a decent amount of fruits, and veggies. I brush after almost every meal.

I stopped going to the dentist over 20 years ago. When our children were young I could bearly afford the cost of maintaining their's and my wife's teeth, even with dental insurance. Maybe 10 years ago or so. I had a filling fall out of my molar, parts of the tooth chipped away, and everytime a piece of nut got pushed in there it would hurt, like you know what. Eventually the root died and it doesn't bother me anymore. My teeth have held up pretty well, over time. I started paying for dental insurance about a year ago after they finally offered it at work. I hadn't had any insurance for a while. The kids are all grown. So I guess I should go to the dentist, being I am paying for it.

I stopped going to the dentist over 20 years ago. When our children were young I could bearly afford the cost of maintaining their's and my wife's teeth, even with dental insurance. Maybe 10 years ago or so. I had a filling fall out of my molar, parts of the tooth chipped away, and everytime a piece of nut got pushed in there it would hurt, like you know what. Eventually the root died and it doesn't bother me anymore. My teeth have held up pretty well, over time. I started paying for dental insurance about a year ago after they finally offered it at work. I hadn't had any insurance for a while. The kids are all grown. So I guess I should go to the dentist, being I am paying for it.

This new job im interviewing for offers health care, and dental. Hopefully that pans out.

This new job im interviewing for offers health care, and dental. Hopefully that pans out.

I hoping and praying you do well and get that job.

I'm kinda in the same boat. My teeth have been a bit pain ridden for a day or two now. It comes and goes. Sometimes leaving for months at a time. I think it's my wisdom teeth.

I would remove them but I am worried about the process of being "put under" and having to be" Put to sleep". I don't know anything about the methods doctors/dentists use to put there patients under. What if they weren't vegan( Or is it mostly natural gas stuff they use ?).

Anyways. I was toying with the idea of just having my Wisdom Teeth removed without being put under. Sure it would hurt like a bitch but at least I would know I was still a Vegan.

I'm kinda in the same boat. My teeth have been a bit pain ridden for a day or two now. It comes and goes. Sometimes leaving for months at a time. I think it's my wisdom teeth.

I would remove them but I am worried about the process of being "put under" and having to be" Put to sleep". I don't know anything about the methods doctors/dentists use to put there patients under. What if they weren't vegan( Or is it mostly natural gas stuff they use ?).

Anyways. I was toying with the idea of just having my Wisdom Teeth removed without being put under. Sure it would hurt like a bitch but at least I would know I was still a Vegan.

I had 2 impacted and 2 partially impacted wisdom teeth removed a few months ago, and it was no big deal. I returned to work the next day. Depending on the severity, and how many teeth need extracted you may not require anesthetics. That wasn't the case in my situation.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out over the course of a year (done at 3 month intervals), and I was never put under, just given the typical novocaine that you'd get for a filling or something else. Unless you've got a situation that would require extensive work, or, unless you have a dentist who has an aversion to the old standard methods, you'll probably end up with a simple novocaine dose like you would any other procedure. If you DO have anything that would complicate removal of your wisdom teeth and decided to go it without anesthesia, then you are a far tougher individual than anyone I know. Getting teeth with long, deep roots pulled any ANY time would hurt like hell, but wisdom teeth, they're even more fun, particularly when they have to crack them and take them out bit by bit. THAT is something that I would never want to experience.

Don't sweat the issue with something like novocaine too much - like I've said before, there are some degrees of "necessary evils" that we encounter daily, and you're far more likely to encounter/come in contact with more animal by-products from what you touch in your day-to-day living than worrying over such a thing that's basically considered essential to avoid extreme pain. Like I've posted in similar threads, I KNOW that what I have to get injected into my eye every 2 months has been animal tested, but it doesn't make me any less vegan to have it done because nobody's going to make a bronze statue of me and worship my blind arse as a martyr for the vegan cause if I chose to let nature take its course. Choosing not to take Day-Quil when you've got a head cold = fine choice to stay vegan. Choosing to avoid anesthesia or other fairly essential drug for preventing extreme pain or avoiding drugs that can potentially save your life = not a wise move, unless you've got a massochistic streak a mile long

Don't sweat the issue with something like novocaine too much - like I've said before, there are some degrees of "necessary evils" that we encounter daily

Well put. That's what I wanted to say, but couldn't come up with it. Remember, the anesthetic is not only for the pain, but for the safety of the operation. Go have those bad boys x-rayed - they may not be too bad.

Like I said it was much easier than I had imagined. 2 of my teeth were all twisted, and wrapped around my jaw. The teeth were hacked into little bits then removed. My face was swollen a bit, but that was about it. Just make sure to have some frozen peas in the freezer for post surgery. You'll want to ice your jaw that entire day - It will help massively.

Thanks for the description VE. I wouldn't mind too much if the product itself was tested on animals. I worry more about the ingredients in the product itself. There's probably some sort of natural anesthesia. If it's natural but tasted on monkeys. Chances are I won't appose to it as much.

It's silly though the reason why I am vegan and why I work incredibly hard to make sure nothing from an animal gets into my body( Or on ). It's not for the sake of the animals( Although I do love the fact that what I am doing is helping them in some way ) It's not for the environment( Which I am also still very much happy to be helping out as well ) and it's not to loose weight be super dooper healthy( Though I did loose 80 pounds and am slowly getting super dooper healthy so that's a major bonus ) it was because of a particular disease( More like plague ) that scared me into my Veganism. Mad Cow Disease. There's no cure( As far as I know ) and it always leads to death( As far as I know ). So I just figured the best way to avoid it was to become a Vegan. Avoid any and all animal products.

So. What about natural "knock out" gas? Or even unnatural Gas? As long as it doesn't actually contain any animal junk in the product itself I'll use it. And I'd consider it Vegan. If it was Vegan and was not tested on Animals I'd consider it Super Vegan( Or just Vegan and cruelty free ).

If you want to know more about the gas you'd have a chance at getting, here's the info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

Not really "natural", but I don't see anything in the main formulation that would point to anything animal-derived. But, word of caution - with gas, you're not going to be "knocked out", rather, you'll be conscious but won't care much about what they're doing to you. However, unlike Novocaine that will give some relief for hours afterward, once they unhook you from gas, you're going to feel every bit as sore within a very short time (there's no long-lasting effect that prevents pain afterward). So, while you may not care that they're yanking the wisdom teeth out while it's happening, once it's over, you're going to be in a good amount of pain. Just wanted to give a heads-up on that one!

Thanks for the description VE. I wouldn't mind too much if the product itself was tested on animals. I worry more about the ingredients in the product itself. There's probably some sort of natural anesthesia. If it's natural but tasted on monkeys. Chances are I won't appose to it as much.

It's silly though the reason why I am vegan and why I work incredibly hard to make sure nothing from an animal gets into my body( Or on ). It's not for the sake of the animals( Although I do love the fact that what I am doing is helping them in some way ) It's not for the environment( Which I am also still very much happy to be helping out as well ) and it's not to loose weight be super dooper healthy( Though I did loose 80 pounds and am slowly getting super dooper healthy so that's a major bonus ) it was because of a particular disease( More like plague ) that scared me into my Veganism. Mad Cow Disease. There's no cure( As far as I know ) and it always leads to death( As far as I know ). So I just figured the best way to avoid it was to become a Vegan. Avoid any and all animal products.

So. What about natural "knock out" gas? Or even unnatural Gas? As long as it doesn't actually contain any animal junk in the product itself I'll use it. And I'd consider it Vegan. If it was Vegan and was not tested on Animals I'd consider it Super Vegan( Or just Vegan and cruelty free ).

Interesting. It sucks that there's pain afterwards. I almost thought I found the perfect solution .

I'll probably end up not doing anything to my teeth. I've had the problem( Occasional pains ) for years. And it goes away a lot faster then it shows up.

However. I do need to keep doing research in anesthetics. I found a website that stated that anesthetics may not be vegan( Which made me think of the possibility that there could be a such thing as true vegan anesthetic. Because I may one day need a tummy tuck. There's probably way too much loose skin down there to get rid of naturally( Though I can sure as hell try ). But I would imagine a Tummy Tuck without any kind of medicine( Just the tools the surgeons use and maybe some water ) would hurt like hell. I'd probably die from the pain or get an infection. So if I can't find a true vegan anesthetic by the time I am ready and want an operation( PRobably in a year and a half ) I just won't do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to undergo a similar procedure.

I brush 2-3 times daily, use mouthwash, and floss. I have a great smile and never had braces.

Now I apparently need periodontal deep cleaning or some shit that costs $1030 with our shitty dental insurance. After that, I'll need all 4 wisdom teeth taken out, and the dentist recommended being put under because one of the wisdom teeth is really fucked up (I don't know the dental jargon). So that should cost a couple grand. Awesome. I had a couple extra grand I was going to burn in a dumpster, guess I can put it to use now.

I have to undergo a similar procedure.

I brush 2-3 times daily, use mouthwash, and floss. I have a great smile and never had braces.

Now I apparently need periodontal deep cleaning or some shit that costs $1030 with our shitty dental insurance. After that, I'll need all 4 wisdom teeth taken out, and the dentist recommended being put under because one of the wisdom teeth is really fucked up (I don't know the dental jargon). So that should cost a couple grand. Awesome. I had a couple extra grand I was going to burn in a dumpster, guess I can put it to use now.

They told me I need that deep cleaning as well. Im not buying into that one. As for the wisdom teeth i Had mine removed over the summer, and it was cake. I was back at work the next day. My shitty health care covered everything.

Never been told I needed any sort of "deep cleaning", and my teeth are anything but good (lots of sweets and barely brushing when I was young did not help matters any...) I'd be a bit skeptical about that one as well - if my bad grill doesn't warrant anyone telling me a deep cleaning is necessary, I'd be less inclined to believe it necessary if I'd always taken care of my choppers.