what your daily meals look like?

Hey i've read many books and found a lot of information on being vegan but haven't actually seen anyone else live this lifestyle. I've learned how you should eat "this, this and this" but am wondering what a day in the life of a vegan looks like. So my question is what does a day or a couple of days for each meal look like for you? What would you eat if you went about your daily schedule tomorrow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? I'm just trying to get a good idea if what i'm eating is on point with what others eat. Thanks for your input and your time!

there is a pretty lengthy thread in here that talks about typical diet.

We all eat differently according to our goals. Maintain, build muscle, lose fat.

This is what I would consider a healthy middle of the road maintenance diet to look like.

Breakfast Muesli with raisins and a few tbsp almonds and berries

Soymilk

Snack: Low Sugar Energy Bar

Lunch: Burritto on a sprouted tortilla filled with black beans, brown rice, avocado, lettuce and salsa

Dinner: Curried lentils and potatoes with steamed spinach and a scoop of chocolate soy ice cream with sliced bananas for dessert

This is probably what I would eat if I was EVER on maintenance. LOL

Here's an example of what I might eat

Breakfast

Oats, chopped dates, banana, rice/oat milk

Water

Snack

2 whole apples/pears/oranges/kiwis......any fruit I like

Some kind of bar - look for the least processed

OR

Fruit plus a handful of nuts & a soy yoghurt

Water

(Some days I will have a shake with rice milk, banana and spirulina too)

Lunch

Lentils and some kind of green vegetable - spinach/broccoli etc

OR

Bean burritos with quinoa and veggies

Water

Snack

Protein shake or fruit smoothie with spirulina (protein shake if it's a workout day)

Water

Dinner

Stir Fried vegetables

Brown rice or quinoa

Salad

Cup of rice or oat milk

Water

Snack 2 hours before bed

Rice cake with peanut butter

OR

Fruit & some nuts/seeds & dates

Water

I drink water in between every meal too.

Hmmm right now?

Okay...

*280grams spirulina (working my way up to about 350grams i think( eventually i'dlike to have less and add some hemp and sprouted brown rice (sun warrior) to balance out sources; for now I can't afford more stuff) Mixed in about 1/4-1/2 lb frozen strawberries and 2-3 heaping handfuls of cinnamon. Blnded in a vitamix with water filled to the tippy top. Split into 4 servings a day

*Vegetable blend blended with water in a vitamix (1 avocado, juice of 1 lemon. 3 small granny smiths or 2 large ones' 7 large dark green leafy stalks, usually collards, perhaps some bitter herbs too). Drink 30-60oz of that concoction a day,

*2 pieces of fresh fruit, whatever

*about a cup a freshly frozen bananas, handful of frozen strawberries, handful of frozen pomegranate seeds, blended inro a sorbet, before I leave the house and on the way to the gym.

*4 oranges blended in water, pre gym.

*The water of 1 young thai coconut post workout; freeze the meat for future recipes. Building a collection of it

*2 small zucchini spiralized into spaghetti with sauce of my choice, at the moment sundried and fresh tomato blend, no oil, herbs and spices, touch of agave.

*I add whatever raw food treats I have been making at the time as desired at the moment. May cut this out but it feels good for now and i'm not worried as longas i'm doing cardio somewhat. Playing racquetball this week and other stuff so thats cool. At the moment, treats available in the house are all homemade... Buckwheaties, seed milks and banana bread, all raw of course as that is how I do I would also perhaps be adding a salad greens with oil free dressing here and there eventually. Prepping more stuff as the days go on, samosas, stuffing, mashed cauliflower potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc, etc....

Btw, the intention over here is to build muscle on a clean bulk. I would be consuming more if that wasn't the case....

Haha. Yeah it's pretty difficult for me to get it down when I have it with water or plain rice milk.. when it's mixed with fruit it's alright.

I'm having a smoothie with a banana, a mango, some spirulina and rice milk right now. It tastes pretty nice.

I think Lean and Green is the only person on the planet that actually can stomach straight spirulina without hurling. 99% of the rest of the population has a gag reflex that won't allow us to do that.

Ahhh c'mon it's not that bad! If we ever make it out around your ways, which i'm sure we will one day, i'll dehydrate you a spirulina and water cake. It's to DIE for

Wow that's quite a lot of spirulina. What do you think of the taste? I'm still getting used to it!

I guess the berries and cinnamon would add a lot of their own flavour.

They do actually. The berries help alot by adding a sweetness factor to the mix but the cinnamon is where it's really at. I have 'D@NA' from the forum to thank for suggesting it's use in my algae blob shakes to make it alot more paletteable. She ROCKS; we met at the ARC in DC

Cool, I might try that soon. Can I be rude and ask how much you spend on spirulina each week/month/ or however often you buy it?

I have a 500 g tub of it that I'm not even half way through yet. You would go through that tub in a couple of days

• 1 year later...
Does one really need to consume dairy substitute as part of a balanced vegan diet?

No not at all. Legumes and green leafy veggies are very rich in calcium, some seeds are too. You need to supplement with B12. The rest of the stuff in milk can be found basically everywhere in whole foods.

I'm McDougalling hardcore style right now and it feels awesome

Cool!

I go real high on the starch and low in fat but I eat a ton of protein so I'm def not McDougalling.

Love my rice, potatoes, millet, buckwheat and legumes

Do you find it hard to get enough selenium in your diet? I can't get enough if I don't eat rice, aubergines, lentils and/or mushrooms. Americans (jänkare) have it good with their damn selenium rich soils but Swedish soil sucks.

I'm McDougalling hardcore style right now and it feels awesome

Cool!

I go real high on the starch and low in fat but I eat a ton of protein so I'm def not McDougalling.

Love my rice, potatoes, millet, buckwheat and legumes

Do you find it hard to get enough selenium in your diet? I can't get enough if I don't eat rice, aubergines, lentils and/or mushrooms. Americans (jänkare) have it good with their damn selenium rich soils but Swedish soil sucks.

Well, I cheat by having a multivitamin a day (MittVal Vegetarian) which has selenium. I also checked on the cron-o-meter and saw that with the current diet I need to eat 1/2 tablespoon of flax to get over 1.6g ALA, so I add that to a green smoothie in the morning. Eating starches makes me feel good and I also get more energy in my workouts and it's hard to overeat when you don't add fat, I just don't feel like overeating. I'll report how I feel when I've been on it for awhile. Experimenting is awesome

I've tried to up my "locality" too. Eating spelt instead of rice, eating potatoes, mashed rutabaga, cooked carrots and alike. I don't eat out often so I try to almost exclusively eat organic. Building a better world feels just as good as building good fitness.

I also bought a 100% hemp shirt the other day and love it. Yeah, I'm becoming a fucking hippie

• 3 weeks later...
I also do a lot better on a starch focused diet than on a eat-to-live kinda diet where I focused more on the veggies and fruits. I migth start to supplement with selenium because it's a fucking hassle if you want to buy local produce

Did you know that there's a ton of selenium in Brazil nuts? Like, you should only eat one Brazil nut a day and consider it your "selenium supplement;" any more and you might OD!

Ok, my usual daily diet is not quite as health conscious as the rest of you, but I'm working on it. I also need more calories in general because I'm trying to power lift and I need MORE POWER! Haha. Ok:

Breakfast: large helping of oatmeal with peanut butter, milled flaxseed, and brown sugar, because I'm sooo healthy...

Snack: Carrot sticks and almonds, or a piece of fruit and almonds

Lunch: something based on whole grains and legums with a side of veggies. Today It was my attempt at Indian influenced stuff. So I had quinoa with chickpeas, and kind of Indian-ish spices, and plain brussels sprouts on the side.

Snack: Peanut butter sandwich on homemade whole wheat bread

Supper: Haven't decided yet, but again kind of a repeat of lunch, with a lot of emphasis on whole grains, legumes, and veggies. Probably a soy milk smoothie with fruit, cinnamon, and ginger, and NO SUGAR, FATTIE. Yeah. That's me talking to myself.

• 1 month later...

my body won't tolerate a full meal at breakfast, it makes me feel bloated and uncomfortable all day, so I usually do something like this:

breakfast: is usually either about a half piece of toast with some peanut butter with a few strawberries or grapes, and a glass of soymilk or something comparable.

snack: a banana, lots of water and maybe more fruit, possibly a handful of nuts, raisins..

lunch: a huuuge smoothie with soymilk, a large banana, about 1.5 cups of strawberries with .5 cup of pineapple sometimes with some blueberries or mango, too.

I usually train a few hours after lunch so I don't eat anything after lunch,

and after I train I usually eat a Clif bar or something.

then I eat a large dinner with the majority of it being leafy greens like spinach, always a couple carrots, some broccoli, and some other veggie that I like to change up. I eat all my veggies RAW because I don't see a point to eating them cooked since it destroys almost all nutritional value... but sometimes I find broccoli a little dry, so I dip it in some veganaise or Organicville non-dairy ranch

I usually pair this with some type of protein, usually it's some sort of tofu meat, or beans,or peanut butter, with some sort of grain like Ezekiel sprouted grains bread. I eat LOTS of alfalfa sprouts, too...

I eat a snack an hour or two before bed because I cannot handle going to bed with an empty stomach... it varies, but it usually consists of something like an apple dipped in peanut butter (and btw, I NEVER eat the mainstream peanut butter that contains sugars and oils... I only get the stuff made at the organic store that's 100% peanuts) or I eat a Larabar and some grapes or an orange, etc.

I eat local and/or organic and shop at Whole Foods plus get fruit and veggie delivery from Boston Organics.

Sample day for me:

Breakfast: 1 scoop vanilla chai Vega Whole Foods Optimizer, half a banana, one cup chocolate light soymilk in a blender

Snack: 1 serving quinoa tabouli (big chunks of cucumber and roma tomatoes, OM NOM NOM)

Lunch: 1/2 spinach, 1/2 spring mix with diced cucumbers, diced baked tomato-basil tofu, fat free balsamic vinagrette and two slices of cheddar rice cheese in a lo-carb pita wrap

Snack: 1 Boca burger with cheddar rice cheese melted on top

Dinner: 1/2 serving quinoa and either another Boca patty or veg chic with rice cheese wrapped in romaine lettuce with a bit of vegenaise

Yes, I'm on a weight loss program. Until my metabolism gets back up to at least second gear this is where I'm at. I'm currently dropping inches but no weight--that's a familiar refrain I hear everywhere, so I'm not going to panic over it and will be taking my own advice and KEEPING IT UP!