Soy free protein powders

This is from Carl at http://www.trueprotein.com.

"none of the flavor systems we currently offer contain any animal byproducts, so you should be safe to use any of those materials! Thanks again and have a great week, -Carl"

I just wanted to put that out there. This site is pretty awesome in that you can get exactly the type of protein you are looking for (except no raw/organic options) and the prices are really good. I have so far only ordered straight gemma pea protein isolate and have mixed it with my previously purchased brown rice protein and soy protein. I am still in the process of lowering my soy intake. I haven't tried any of the flavors yet, but they have a forum in which people comment on the flavors. They have an Orange Creamsicle flavor I'd like to try.

Thank you for sharing this. I am wondering how to figure out how much of each protein source to have in mix. I am blending rice protein, hemp protein and pea protein. Have never had pea protein so I don't know how strong it tastes. And I usually just get vanilla flavor as I will probably only use it in a smoothie or with almond milk.

I just started doing a raw vegan diet with green smoothies as the mainstay but am really concerned about the protein levels as in the past I have done best on high protein low carb style diets.

I would really appreciate input from someone who has "been there, done that" and learn from their wisdom and experience.

Thanks!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, is there any other sources to find out about 'combining protien' like soy/rice combination or what to choose and when

sorry bout the noob post, but I am just starting....

and, how much protien do you folks take per pound of body weight?

al

Did you mean supplemental sources?

I would personally like to try hemp, pea and rice as a blend, even just adding hemp to the Nitrofusion or Sunwarrior or something.

As far as how much protein to take, I think 1 gram per pound would be more than enough, coming from foods and protein powders combined

Did you mean supplemental sources?

I would personally like to try hemp, pea and rice as a blend, even just adding hemp to the Nitrofusion or Sunwarrior or something.

As far as how much protein to take, I think 1 gram per pound would be more than enough, coming from foods and protein powders combined

I am trying to combine rice/pea/hemp proteins in a supplement via http://www.trueprotein.com and wondering what percent of each to have in the custom mix. Rice and hemp taste fine to me but I have never had the pea protein. And I am wondering what the best ratio is of the three as to complimenting amino acids.

Debra

Someone just posted on this like 2 days ago and put up a comparison chart. I forget who it was, and I cant find the post by searching it out. Was it Troy...?

Maybe I can post the image, I saved that.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/collegeb/ProteinCompare.jpg

TrueProtein has the breakdown of each on their site as well. But I am not knowledgeable enough to use the chart to balance them. And I don't know how they taste together either so I was hoping someone else had blended the three and knew how palatable they were. At this point I am even debating whether using a protein powder that has isolated nutrients is the healthiest way to go. Health and vibrancy are more important to my long-term goals than seeing how big I can grow my muscles. And then there is the debate about raw vegan giving the body all the amino acids in a form it can easily use and combine to get its protein requirements........

Debra

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing a lot of experimenting with vegan soy-free protein powders after years and years of not bothering with worrying about how much protein I was taking in. I've been a lot happier with my strength gains, although it's only been two weeks and I've been using a multitude of different products. So far, purely on a flavor scale, best to worst:

Vega (chocolate)

NitroFusion (also chocolate)

Veganique (chocolate again)

Vegan Complete (vanilla)

Plantfusion (vanilla)

(I live in the U.S. I see a lot of people here are from other places, so I'm not sure how available any of these are. Fortunately for me, I'm in the same city as Vegan Essentials, so I just order things from them.)

• 2 weeks later...
Why do you want it locked and not have a stickied thread with suggestions from others?

I've tried the first one pictures, I think it tastes completely horrible.

I use a 50% gemma, 50% rice blend from trueprotein.com

HEY I USE THEM ALSO!!!!

i didnt like the gemma all that much BUT it was doable with extra water added as it got thicker them most other powders.

rice i forgot if i like or not i got a free sample i didnt remember hateing it.

been using them for 3 yrs now.

order like 25-50lb at a time (i wont tell you of what or you guys may hang me lol)

but i think there a decent company.

used the hemp it was ok i prafer it when i make smoothys out of frozen berrys, a banana, soem penutbutter, and fill up with rice milk blend its very nice the hemp.the gemma also but dont use too much or it will be more like puddinglol

Check out the current issue of Muscle and Fitness Magazine..it must be the May or June 2009 issue.

They have reviews of all kinds of vegan non-soy powders from Cranberry powder, to buckwheat powder, to artichoke powder, etc.

Great stuff!

Check out the current issue of Muscle and Fitness Magazine..it must be the May or June 2009 issue.

They have reviews of all kinds of vegan non-soy powders from Cranberry powder, to buckwheat powder, to artichoke powder, etc.

Great stuff!

Cranberry powder!????

that sounds interesting

The Muscle & Fitness is still on newsstands. It has a guy holding up some raw steak with "Eat like a man" text. BUT- They look at alternative protein powders and breakdown who they would be good for. Uniformly, they're all for vegans. Buckwheat protein got the biggest boost. First time I've heard of it. Hemp protein was recommended to NOT use before or after workouts, due to the high fat to protein ratio and fiber. Brown Rice protein was recommended, too.

The article says there's more recommendations online, but I couldn't find the link.

Is Buckwheat such a new product so they're giving it more press? (so many things come in cycles...)

M&F is a good magazine, alas, it's reader beware. The freelance writers may

make mistakes, or prone to hype. (For Ex: their 2 parter on protein intake states that 1.5 ratio to body weight is okay, based on studies of individuals consuming less than 1 ratio. That .5 may just overdo the kidney. Maybe not, but extrapolating numbers from studies doesn't build confidence.)

They gotta fill pages. I almost bought the issue for the protein article alone. But I questioned their ratings of protein.

At least Thrive Diet is based on one individual's experience.

Does the revised edition still advocate hemp as much?

Has anyone heard of "Genuine Health Vegan Proteins+"?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/genuinehealth/veganproteinsplus.jpg

It's a combination of Pea Protein Isolate, Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Cranberry Protein, Alfalfa Protein Concentrate, Hemp Seed Protein.

20g of Protein per serving.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/genuinehealth/veganproteinsplus.html

• 2 months later...

http://www.pure-advantage.net/_images/pure_advantage_pea_protein.jpg

After trying many things that tasted terrible , I found this and its awesome .

I start the day with a scoop of this in a blender with frozen blueberriess , raspberries , a kiwi , a bananna and ricemilk . It tastes great , and provides 20g of protein a serving .

I also enjoy telling people....

I EAT PEAS FOR BREAKFAST , SON !!!

That nitrofusion looks good, but can anyone tell me how this is possible:

Total carbs: 9

Fiber: 2

Sugars: 9 (from fructose)

Is the label messed up, or do i not know how this is supposed to work??

I've never seen it on a shelf, but it looks like it is worth a try, thanks!

• 3 months later...

I think pea protein tastes like ass!

I presently use both brown rice and hemp which I love.

I mix brown rice with chufa (a spanish milk made out of tiger nuts) and the hemp with passion fruit juice..mmmm!

I get them sent out to me in Spain and it still works out fairly cheaply..the brown rice is especially economical. I order them from http://www.myprotein.co.uk/

I like to take the rice at night because it fills you up more than the hemp...I think I digest the hemp really quickly and I use this after my workout. I'm really happy with the prices and delivery service offered my this company. I've bought from bulk powders uk before, but they take ages to deliver and apart from the pea protein which is vomit worthy, dont have much in stock for vegans.

I think pea protein tastes like ass!

Unfortunately I'm only 50% of my way through a 2.5kg bag (from myprotein.co.uk) and I only have a scoop a day. I feel like I'm punishing myself when I have a smoothie with this in it I'm either gonna start on sunwarrior or vega (if money permits - prob won't), or mix brown rice with my hemp instead. Can't wait to finish this crap!

Yeah the prices on myprotein are great! And they label what's vegan which is cool