200 lb. Kettlebell - 1 arm Jerk

Troy

Alot of big beach muscle guys can't do 10 pullups let alone even get close at doing that

This is simply not true. Why do people have to dis other people to make them look good? Or whatever they want to look good?

Your post would have been fine without this last remark. Especially the functional strength part, because that said it all.

Alot of big beach muscle guys can't do 10 pullups let alone even get close at doing that
This is simply not true. Why do people have to dis other people to make them look good? Or whatever they want to look good?

Your post would have been fine without this last remark. Especially the functional strength part, because that said it all.

What's inaccurate about Couture's remark? I agree with him. A lot of big guys who've been training for years can't do many pull-ups or paralell bar dips. Also, the overhead pressing strength of many powerlifters and bodybuilders is weak in comparison to what they can bench press. Of course their are exceptions.

This has been already discussed on another thread.

Oops, I guess I was a little upset that big muscle beach guys are getting targeted. In order to be big muscle beach guys, they do have to do some type of pull up to get their lats that big. Now the overhead press, with the hands close together, is a problem that most do have (shoulder girdle is too tight - that is why I take yoga, even the down dog is hard on my shoulders!).

I will comment that I did cringe everytime I saw him swing the kettle ball up. Not only the twist in his lower back, but the ball going against the collarbone. The shoulders too made me cringe. I think it is because at my life experience, I know that my body would react to that in a fast way, but recovery would be slow .

I've seen those big muscle beach guys do pull-ups. Their ROM on pullups is "nothing to write home about." Many big guys do lat pulls for wider lats. I'm doing lat pulls instead of pull-ups in my routine right now for the same reason everyone else does. They're easier.

When I said OHP I meant any variation military press, jerk, push press, not hands close together. I use DB so its not a problem. Big strong pecs don't develope functional strength.

I know what Gaia means and i agree with her.

the overhead pressing strength of many powerlifters and bodybuilders is weak in comparison to what they can bench press. Of course their are exceptions.

Why is it better to be strong in overhead than in bench?

Big strong pecs don't develope functional strength.

What is functional strength, and when is strength non-functional??

A lot of big guys who've been training for years can't do many pull-ups or paralell bar dips.

I've seen those big muscle beach guys do pull-ups. Their ROM on pullups is "nothing to write home about."

Are you jealous of their muscle size? No? Why talk it down then?

Some people train for size, some for strength, some for basketball. If small ROM gets them the results they want, so be it. You don't mock the world champion in swimming that his training doesn't help him in a boxing fight, or an elite high jumper that he doesn't score goals in a soccer match.

The guy in the video is incredible, it makes me almost doubt if it is really 200lbs

Why is it better to be strong in overhead than in bench?
I didn't say it's better to be strong in overhead than in bench. I think being strong in both lifts is a good test of strength, however OHP works more muscle groups. Would you like me to name them all?
What is functional strength, and when is strength non-functional??
What daily activities or sports besides powerlifting do strong pectoral muscles carry over too? Most activities and sports are done standing up not lying on your back. Close grip and shoulder width grip bench press are good if you're going to do a lot of pushing like a American football lineman and develope tricep strength. How does a pec dec develope functional strength?
Are you jealous of their muscle size? No? Why talk it down then?
Nah man I'd rather be strong and lift for MYSELF than have big muscles for the sake of ??? having big muscles to look pretty and attract chicks. I think it's a waste of time to spend hours a week training to pack on useless muscle mass with minimal strength gains.

Big muscle beach guys wear weightlifting gloves and use wrist straps because they don't want to spend time developing forearm and grip strength. "Oh no I don't want callouses on my hands!"

Nah man I'd rather be strong and lift for MYSELF than have big muscles for the sake of ??? having big muscles to look pretty and attract chicks. I think it's a waste of time to spend hours a week training to pack on useless muscle mass with minimal strength gains.

This may say more about me than anything else, but the biggest, "prettiest muscled" bodybuilders I know can all squat more than me, press more than me, do more pullups than me, and row more than me. Case in point: Daywalker

I agree that many of the exercises associated with bodybuilding (ie, pec deck) are largely useless. But the fact that most bodybuilders are not as strong as elite-powerlifters and strongmen does not make their muscles "useless".

Btw, pullups are damn hard when you weigh 300 pounds

I was hoping this was a video of Troy with a 200 lb Kettlebell.

Me too!

OHP works more muscle groups. Would you like me to name them all?

Yes, please

How does a pec dec develope functional strength?

You don't seem to see my point. Pursue whatever aims you want with your sport. To all the bodybuilders you mock and you feel superior to because your muscles are "functional" (which often is used as a term meaning "small and not really strong but relatively fit") their muscles have a function - looking good, feeling good, maybe taking part or even winning a BB contest.

It can be argued what is more "functional" in our society - the athletic look or the athletic skill. Are a champion bodybuilder's muscles more functional than an amateur athletes, who can do more push ups than the bodybuilder, muscles? One wins a trophy, the other one beats him at push ups - both achieve their individual goal.

If someone enjoys lifting for the sake of big muscles, where's the harm? You could just say "wow, that required a lot of hard work" instead of talking them down because you don't share their goals.

Usally when people say functional strength they're talking about strength you can actually use in everyday activities and in a athletic competion. BBers are not athletes they are muscle models. There whole training is based around aesthetics. That's not to say some arn't strong or athletic many are. Jay Cutler looks alot bigger then many stong men, but would have zero chance in such a competetion. If guys like Coleman where as Athletic as they look they'd go straight to the NFL and make at least 10 times the money.

Also i do see it all the time, guys that have what i said are beach muscles not bbers per say, but guys that just want to look good in clothes and at the beach. The majority of guys at my gym do arms, chest, abs and calves. Rarely do i see someone doing Deadlifts even though they're one of the most important lifts for strength

This may say more about me than anything else, but the biggest, "prettiest muscled" bodybuilders I know can all squat more than me, press more than me, do more pullups than me, and row more than me. Case in point: Daywalker
I never said bodybuilders are not strong. There are many strong bodybuilders. However, they have the potential to be much stronger if they focused on developing strength doing compound exercises not isolation work.
Btw, pullups are damn hard when you weigh 300 pounds
Most 300lb bodybuilders, powerlifters, and strongmen are either genetic freaks or using steriods.
OHP works more muscle groups. Would you like me to name them all?
Yes' date=' please [/quote']Your a smart guy, do the research.
How does a pec dec develope functional strength?

To all the bodybuilders you mock and you feel superior to because your muscles are "functional" (which often is used as a term meaning "small and not really strong but relatively fit") their muscles have a function - looking good, feeling good, maybe taking part or even winning a BB contest.
I said "functional strength" not "functional." What? I don't feel I'm superior because my muscles are "functional." It'll take many years of hard work before I consider myself strong. I'm not strong by my standards.
If someone enjoys lifting for the sake of big muscles, where's the harm? You could just say "wow, that required a lot of hard work" instead of talking them down because you don't share their goals.
I don't feel I was talking down to them. Everyone knows bodybuilders work hard. No one will deny that.

Usally when people say functional strength they're talking about strength you can actually use in everyday activities and in a athletic competion. BBers are not athletes they are muscle models. There whole training is based around aesthetics. That's not to say some arn't strong or athletic many are. Jay Cutler looks alot bigger then many stong men, but would have zero chance in such a competetion. If guys like Coleman where as Athletic as they look they'd go straight to the NFL and make at least 10 times the money.

Also i do see it all the time, guys that have what i said are beach muscles not bbers per say, but guys that just want to look good in clothes and at the beach. The majority of guys at my gym do arms, chest, abs and calves. Rarely do i see someone doing Deadlifts even though they're one of the most important lifts for strength

Exactly.

Although from my understanding Ronnie Coleman used to be a powerlifter and switched to bodybuilding because there's more money in BB than PL. RC can squat and DL 800-800lbs+, Leg Press 2300lbs, and DB bench press two 200lb DB for reps.

Hi Daywalker!

Thank you for putting your reply in to help support bodybuilding!

I can not believe we have to say something to support (and not dis) bodybuilding on a forum about bodybuilding!

FYI-Not every member of this forum is a bodybuilder. There are cyclist, powerlifters, olympiclifters, martial artist, runners, and other athletes on this forum.

I don't know why some people got defensive. Martial artists of different disciplines critique other martial arts and OLifters and PLifters argue all the time. Many BJJ practioners swear BJJ is a superior martial art. "Weightlifters" in general argue over training methods.

Edited by bodybag

cyclists cycle.

powerlifters powerlift

runners run

and bodybuilders build bodies.

all of these things take hard work and dedication. and that needs to be respected no matter what each individual's goals are. we are here to SUPPORT one another! Who cares if a lot of bbing is about how the muscles look on stage? no one is knocking a powerlifter for being smaller-those guys are so strong!!! and thats freaking respectable. and sculpting one's body to build big muscles and cut down for a competetion or what have you--is damn respectable too! any one who bodybuilds knows this firsthand and doesnt really need to defend themselves. this was originally a bbing forum and EXPANDED to encompass all aspects of fitness and that is really cool. but it is what it is.

daywalker-its great to have you back!

Exactly.

Although from my understanding Ronnie Coleman used to be a powerlifter and switched to bodybuilding because there's more money in BB than PL. RC can squat and DL 800-800lbs+, Leg Press 2300lbs, and DB bench press two 200lb DB for reps.

That's why i used him as a example becasue he's one of the strongest BBers. Doesn't mean he's a good athlete though, the guy can barely talk without getting winded

Hi Daywalker!

Thank you for putting your reply in to help support bodybuilding!

I can not believe we have to say something to support (and not dis) bodybuilding on a forum about bodybuilding!

FYI-Not every member of this forum is a bodybuilder. There are cyclist, powerlifters, olympiclifters, martial artist, runners, and other athletes on this forum.

I don't know why some people got defensive. Martial artists of different disciplines critique other martial arts and OLifters and PLifters argue all the time. Many BJJ practioners swear BJJ is a superior martial art. "Weightlifters" in general argue over training methods.

That's why the first UFC was made becasue every martial art claimed it was best and the only way to see which was best was to have everyone fight. BJJ proved it was the best style if your only going to pick one style. 99 percent of mixed martial arts use only like 6 different styles becasue many styles don't work