Am I getting too much fiber?

Troy

Not all of those points are true. Only soluble fiber can be digested, and that is ~1.6cal/g in the form of fatty acids absorbed through the walls of the intestines. At the absolute most, soluble fiber in certain foods is up to 2cal/g.

#5: Fiber reduces appetite. When used properly (AKA, Pre-meal with water), fiber supplements do reduce appetite. I can claim this anecdotally. Sure, if you stuff yourself to the brim, you can increase your appetite, but that's not smart.

#8: Fiber relieves chronic constipation. I've not had chronic constipation, but at least with anecdotal issues, it has worked great.

#4: "Sugars and starches in fiber-rich products

cause diabetic complications" They say it right there. If you get your 50g of fiber from potatoes or white bread (lol), you're still giving yourself insulin insensitivity .

@ intestinal cramps: That's an issue of inadequate fluid intake and increasing fiber intake too rapidly. They don't tell you to do it gradually BY ACCIDENT. I find that insoluble fiber (the "broom" if you will) does not cause me gas. It can cause rectal irritation if increased rapidly, but that quickly disappears because your skin adjusts.

There is some important information here with regard to *how* you get your fiber, what kind of fiber you get, and what you use it for, but this book is still more hype than help.

Bottom line: Eat whole foods. Know what kinds of fibers work well with you. Know when and how to use fiber. Don't get your fiber from french fries .

Agreed?

I believe so. I watched the entire video, and I think his main focus was on processed fiber supplements but he does mention eating to much fiber from fruits and veggies too. The only reason I bring it up is because its the only thing that I have "sorta" doubted with regards to my diet... the high amount of fiber. Its roughly 3-4 times that of the recommended. I understand that many nutrients in plants are locked within the fiber and thus our bodies cannot properly access those nutrients because we have difficulty breaking the cellular wall through digestion. This is one of the reasons I blend my food, break cell walls and create as much surface area for nutrient absorption. But is too much of a good thing, not good? Maybe I shouldn't even worry because the blender is pulverizing the fiber as well making it functionally useless... I've heard a theory on that too.

I'm a firm believer in keeping a high nutrient to calorie ratio but would it be a bad idea to say switch some of my high fiber Ezekiel cereal with a nutrient and fiber deficient carb filler like brown rice carbohydrate powder? Not that I would eliminate all the fiber out of my diet.... simply reducing to the recommended 10-15g per 1000 calories. Yet the drawbacks would be loss of nutrients (vits/mins) and loss of macros (pro) thus having to fill the latter hole back in with other fillers, ie. protein powder and ultimately being left with a lower nutrient to calorie ratio.

Does anyone think any of his points are valid?

I think that there's nothing wrong with a high fiber intake as long as you're aware of the caloric content of soluble fiber and your digestive system can handle it. It gets stronger each time you use it anyways. Why else would a slow increase be recommended?