The Protein Thread( All things protein-rific list here ).

Dr. Pink

First. An opening question. How much Soy a day is too much?

I myself personally think I could easily drink at least 3 gallons a day( Or pretty much a hole half-gallon every three hours ). At most. I've drank a whole gallon in 20 minutes. That stuff be good. But what worries me is that I hear from so many sources that soy protein has the potential to work against you and make you allergic.

Anyways. List things high in protein that us Vegans can consume. List various food combinations which can = complete protein and amino acids.

So far my main protein knowledge is soy. Which is currently my favorite source for protein.

Also. A measurement of exactly how much protein is in a serving would greatly help those looking for super high protein snacks/meals.

Yet another reason why I prefer Soymilk over Almond or rice Milk. I'm proud to say that I inspired one of my cousins start consuming rice milk as apposed to regular milk. Though I still prefer soy since the protein content kicks the pants off of almond and rice( 1 gram of protein per serving in rice/almond and as much as 8-9 per serving in soy ).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Pink;

Many of these issues have been written about many times.

You can get better information faster by:

1. going to the index of the "Health & Nutrition Programs" and reading the stickies there.

2. searching on "soy" or "protein" in the search engine here and on veganfitness.net

3. Reading the free, online vegan nutrition book written by Jack Norris vegan R.D. at

http://www.veganhealth.org

First. An opening question. How much Soy a day is too much?

Nobody knows. *If* there can be a "too much" many experts think that can be avoided by eating less processed soy. Eating the beans and traditional soy foods more and highly processed soy less.

Why is every fscking post on here just an ad for some other doctor. Dr. Weil, Dr. Norris, Dr. Ornish, etc.

Please don't spam with some crap from a random quacko...

Jack Norris isn't a doctor, he is a registered dietitian.

Dr. Weil & Dr. Ornish enjoy very good professional reputations in the medical community. Neither are "quackos".

My post was not spam, I was answering a request for information with references, not advertisements.

Jack Norris is a cofounder of Vegan Outreach. He put up veganhealth.org to help people go vegan and stay vegan by eating better. The site sells nothing.

Dr. Weil & Dr. Ornish enjoy very good professional reputations in the medical community. Neither are "quackos".

Fair enough about Norris, but any doctor who claims a vegan diet is the healthiest diet is an idiot...

Neither Norris, Dr. Weil or Dr. Ornish have ever made statements to that effect.

Dr. Weil is an ivy leauge MD who did his own medical research when he was younger and who is famous for writing popular books evaluating the claims of alternative health practitioners from the perspective of an MD.

Dr. Ornish is a cardiovascular surgeon and researcher who was one of the first people to prove clinically that heart disease could be reversed with improved diets.

You brought the issue of a vegan diet being the healthiest diet ever brought up in this thread. You also brought up Dr. Ornish and Dr. Weil.

Dr. Pink only had some questions about soy and protein. I pointed him to some places where he could read the answers for himself.

I don't think the shit level of protein is very high. Though I've heard maggots have high levels. Though I can't eat them.[sarcasm]

Eh. This isn't a soy test or a soy is crap or soy whining topic. Pretty simple actually. Post the protein foods you like to eat and list the amount. And eventually we will have a huge, simple to navigate database of protein. So people who want to know what to eat to get the optimal amount can know where to go.

Wheat Germ:

(1 cup)

=

360 cals

33 g protein (full spectrum of amino acids)

12 g fat (10 g mono, 2 g sat)

56 g carbs (17 g FIBER wow, only 9 g sugars)

11Kcal/g protein.

and as for vitamins it has more than any other grain.

1 serving also contains:

6.8 mg Vit. C (11% DV)

18.1 mg Vit. E (90% DV)

1.9 mg Thiamin (125% DV)

0.9 mg Riboflavin (55% DV)

6.3 mg Niacin (33% DV)

1.1 mg Vitamin B (55% DV)

400 mcg Folate (100% DV)

1.6 mg Pantothenic Acid (16% DV)

....as well as minerals, especially vital in muscle development

10.5 mg Iron (60%)

363 mg Magnesium (90%)

1295 mg Phosphorous (129 % DV)

1070 mg Potassium (31% DV)

4.5 mg sodium...nothing

18.8 mg Zinc (126 % DV)

0.7 mg Copper (35% DV)

22.6 mg manganate (1128% DV...holy cow)

73.5 mg Selenium (105% DV)

Option 2: Hempseed

17cal/g protein.

http://earthfriendlygoods.com/pages/NutritionalComposition.php

Option 3: Hempflour

6.6 cal/g protein

Everyone else add .

And I'll say that I hate soy. Just for the record .

I was under the impression that all the protein content in this thread was scattered. So I thought ti would be helpful to develope a database. I'll write down everything in this thread mentioned and then over the long progress edit the first post and list everything. Like an ultimate database. That way whenever an omni says," Where do you get your protein" simply list them this thread. It won't work in "Real Life convos though" unless you have an IPhone...

I mean, the list is of what has protein is pretty obvious, I think, to most of the people on this forum, and this seems incredibly redundant, hence the replies you've received so far.

Personally, I do try to limit my soy intake, just because no one knows how it affects you, really. I also don't drink a lot of soy milk because my body just doesn't like it (although other soy is okay). I do eat tofu, tempeh, and soynuts pretty regularly, but I only use soy milk when cooking or baking.

Seitan has a ton of protein, and isn't soy based, although its heavily gluten based, which could be another topic of controversy. I do supplement on days that I lift with half gemma-half rice protein.

I also really like pepitas, they have a lot of protein as well as healthy fats.

Everything else is just adding up protein here and there, at least for me: quinoa, wheatberries, nuts, seeds, etc.

Why is every fscking post on here just an ad for some other doctor. Dr. Weil, Dr. Norris, Dr. Ornish, etc.

Please don't spam with some crap from a random quacko...

Jack Norris isn't a doctor, he is a registered dietitian.

My post was not spam, I was answering a request for information with references, not advertisements.

Jack Norris is a cofounder of Vegan Outreach. He put up veganhealth.org to help people go vegan and stay vegan by eating better. The site sells nothing.

Dr. Weil is Obese, Bald, and grey why anyone will listen to him is beyond me. The medical, Health field is the only field i can think of where you can be absolute crap and make money at it. Would you take advice from a homless financial adviser? Any one preaches and doesn't follow is not someone i will listen to.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020orOjpJjjUBSLyjzbkF/SIG=121o36oam/EXP=1228639147/**http%3A//www.vegparadise.com/images/protein.jpg

That's a good picture. Protein deficiency is so rare in developed countries. Pretty much the only people that have a protein deficiency are people that are literally scarving from lack of food. Even if one eat nothing but brown rice and got the recommend amount of calories for that person they'd still get enough protein for healthy survial. Not saying living on all brown rice is a good idea, but it happens to be one of the lowest in protein of grains so i use that as a example(8 percent Protein). The protein over hype comes staight from the meat, dairy, supplement industries. I allways hear the words "Incompete protein" I've yet to see one whole food that isn't a compete protein, in matter of fact most of these so called incompete proteins have around 19 amino acids. Some proteins are higher in this then that sure, but that's the case with all foods with any Nutrient.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020orOjpJjjUBSLyjzbkF/SIG=121o36oam/EXP=1228639147/**http%3A//www.vegparadise.com/images/protein.jpg

That's a good picture. Protein deficiency is so rare in developed countries. Pretty much the only people that have a protein deficiency are people that are literally scarving from lack of food. Even if one eat nothing but brown rice and got the recommend amount of calories for that person they'd still get enough protein for healthy survial. Not saying living on all brown rice is a good idea, but it happens to be one of the lowest in protein of grains so i use that as a example(8 percent Protein). The protein over hype comes staight from the meat, dairy, supplement industries. I allways hear the words "Incompete protein" I've yet to see one whole food that isn't a compete protein, in matter of fact most of these so called incompete proteins have around 19 amino acids. Some proteins are higher in this then that sure, but that's the case with all foods with any Nutrient.

You seem to be stuck on that low protein soap box. And I'm sure most people here know it, have heard it, and believe that protein is overhyped in the diet of an average lets say American, but this is a bodybuilding site, and for maintaining increased muscle mass, minimum values just won't work.

Most of us have read those books, seen those videos, and are aware of what these doctors and scientists are saying, and we don't disagree with the points they are making as far as the average Jane is concerned.

Edited by Vegan Joe

You seem to be stuck on that low protein soap box. And I'm sure most people here know it, have heard it, and believe that protein is overhyped in the diet of an average lets say American, but this is a bodybuilding site, and for maintaining increased muscle mass, minimum values just won't work.

Most of us have read those books, seen those videos, and are aware of what these doctors and scientists are saying, and we don't disagree with the points they are making as far as the average Jane is concerned.

If you read my post i said to maintain health. On previous post i said 20 percent protein is more then rnough for anyone even BB. Is 20 percent low protein? 4K calories= 200 Grams of protein, 3K calories= 150 grams of protein, 2K calories= 100 grams of protein. Far from low protein. I have natural friends who eat around 20 percent protein who are as strong as your going to find any where natually. More is not allways better as many of you think

If you read my post i said to maintain health. On previous post i said 20 percent protein is more then rnough for anyone even BB. Is 20 percent low protein? 4K calories= 200 Grams of protein, 3K calories= 150 grams of protein, 2K calories= 100 grams of protein. Far from low protein. I have natural friends who eat around 20 percent protein who are as strong as your going to find any where natually. More is not allways better as many of you think

And just what are your credentials?

And just what are your credentials?

Would it be best if i was a 300 pound fat guy is MD in front of my name? What are your credentials? What ar anyones credentails? I have a friend that eats 15-20 percent of calories from protein(and Natural) and at the age of 47 is stronger then i've seen anyone on this board. But i guess since he's not a MD it doesn't matter