The Protein Thread( All things protein-rific list here ).

Dr. Pink

Avi R. Lehyani is by far the most impressive looking vegan i've seen and he happens to be eatting guess what 20 percent protein. Are you going to tell someone that's twice your size and strength he's doing some thing wrong? lol

Maybe he has a problem with his myostatin. Do you know?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How convenient , since the guy is getting good results intead of looking at the diet you say he's a mutant. I have friends that are on a very simiar diet as well and very big and strong. Maybe you can chalk that up to a deformity also. And you mentioned this being a BB forum. actually it's bb and fitness. There's not many guys hear that resimble a bb, more like some fit guys and then some big strong guys and then alot of average looking people

Okay here's a list off the top of my head

protein powder

Depending on the powder, this is the closest you will get to a food which is pretty much just protein. In a 30g scoop, you can get 25g (depends on the specific type).

Nuts and Seeds

Can have around 30g protein per 100g, obviously varies. They also come with high fat, often as high as 40g of fat per 100g. Low carbs though, and often have other useful nutrients, which are difficult to get elsewhere.

Pulses (beans, lentils...)

Can be around 20g of protein per 100g, depending on the item (lentils in my cupboard say 23g, kidney beans say 8.4g per 100g). Virtually no fat at all in pulses that I am familiar with, but they do have quite a lot of carbs.

grains (oats, rice...)

Typically high amount of carbs - low fat.

the oats I've got have 10g of protein per 100g, with 74g of carbs, 5g of fat.

the brown rice I have here is 6.8g of protein per 100g, with 71.4g of carbs - 3g fat (dry).

meat replacers, soy

Will vary from product to product. Generally, the products I've seen are pretty high in carbs, fat and protein. Often they are also high in salt. Just straight TVP can be fat free, but will require flavouring - because it's pretty tasteless on its own.

soy milk

Again, this will vary from brand to brand. Again, it is fairly high in carbs, and has some fat in also. Many soy milks are fortified with vitamins, including B12.

fruit and other vegetables

Generally low in protein per 100g, low in fat, sometimes has moderate carbs - it varies wildly depending on the plant you're eating. I would generally say these should be eaten for the vitamins and minerals that they have, that's the best thing about them, as far as I am aware. Good thing is that you can eat a huge amount of most vegetables without it messing up your diet.

I don't blame you for doubting, Doubter. We've been fed the assumption that there are foods with "incomplete" proteins for years when most foods have all essential amino acids but are higher in some then others. As an example, we'll use the almond. Almonds have all essential amino acids but are lowest in lysine. For that reason, you would correctly call an almond a food with a "complete" protein. However, if I were tracking my protein grams for a day, using only almonds as a food source, then I might make some changes in my calculations. For instances, if I were aiming for 100 grams of protein then I would eat approximately 120 grams of almond protein to make up for the lower amount of lysine.

When eating whole foods on a vegan diet and tracking protein grams, I personally think ingesting a higher protein intake is advisable to account for the "limiting amino acids" and bioavailability. If you're using protein isolates, especially soy, this is not an issue.

How convenient

I suppose the same could be said about your rhetoric. I see no where, do you take in to consideration factors such as genetics, or types of diet on which these nutrients are aquired. Everyone is different everyone reacts differently, You should be able to see that just by reading around in this forum. So max muscle mass is going to come from keeping your body enriched with not just under the optimal amount but somewhere above that amount else you won't get optimal results. Also knowing the quantities in ones system is at best an illusive guesstament, and so once again keeping on the higher side of things will give best results.

As for those on this forum who are not into muscle mass but are more on the fitness side, well I think that this is where you will find your disputation well recieved.

since the guy is getting good results intead of looking at the diet you say he's a mutant. I have friends that are on a very simiar diet as well and very big and strong. Maybe you can chalk that up to a deformity also. And you mentioned this being a BB forum. actually it's bb and fitness. There's not many guys hear that resimble a bb, more like some fit guys and then some big strong guys and then alot of average looking people

How convenient

I suppose the same could be said about your rhetoric. I see no where, do you take in to consideration factors such as genetics, or types of diet on which these nutrients are aquired. Everyone is different everyone reacts differently, You should be able to see that just by reading around in this forum. So max muscle mass is going to come from keeping your body enriched with not just under the optimal amount but somewhere above that amount else you won't get optimal results. Also knowing the quantities in ones system is at best an illusive guesstament, and so once again keeping on the higher side of things will give best results.

As for those on this forum who are not into muscle mass but are more on the fitness side, well I think that this is where you will find your disputation well recieved.

since the guy is getting good results intead of looking at the diet you say he's a mutant. I have friends that are on a very simiar diet as well and very big and strong. Maybe you can chalk that up to a deformity also. And you mentioned this being a BB forum. actually it's bb and fitness. There's not many guys hear that resimble a bb, more like some fit guys and then some big strong guys and then alot of average looking people

And what rhetoric is that? Saying that one should eat whole real foods and not isolated Protein powders? Alot of people on here are eatting a vegan version of a the Akins diet one of the worst diets in history. Even worse is the fact that instead of eatting meat which is a whole food many guys eat processed soy products every meal of every day.

And what rhetoric is that? Saying that one should eat whole real foods and not isolated Protein powders?
Alot of people on here are eatting a vegan version of a the Akins diet one of the worst diets in history.
Even worse is the fact that instead of eatting meat which is a whole food many guys eat processed soy products every meal of every day.

Back upon the soap box?

The perfect beings forum is around the corner.

Can I eat my Oreo cookies now?

Alot of people on here are eating a vegan version of a the Akins diet one of the worst diets in history.

This is in almost all cases here at this forum a gross over exageration, and simplification, of what adding some extra vegetable protein to one diet really is.

Alot of people on here are eating a vegan version of a the Akins diet one of the worst diets in history.

This is in almost all cases here at this forum a gross over exageration, and simplification, of what adding some extra vegetable protein to one diet really is.

I'm not going to mention names but i see it alot on here and on the profile page. Soap box? By not wanting to eat GMO foods?

I'm not going to mention names but i see it alot on here and on the profile page. Soap box? By not wanting to eat GMO foods?

No couture547... By "SOAPBOX", he means that you seem to go on and on and on AND ON on every thread putting down those of us who choose to consume Vegan protein powders as people who eat "just like an omni" (that is what you said)..... and that you are better than everyone because you only consume whole, non-processed foods and don't focus on your protein consumption.

And like he said, you're gross exaggerations that claim anyone who follows a higher protein MODERATE carb diet (something that works for many people, although you don't seem to be interested in what works... only in repeating your same 10 - 20% creed over and over again to the point of naseau) is untrue.

Again, you are not interested in facts. You are not interested in the many examples that I've given you of people who are getting results by supplementing with some additional Vegan protein powders. I've given you lots and lots of real-life examples of people who were only able to acheive their desired results when they supplemented... but you don't want to here any real life examples... you just want to keep repeating yourself ON YOUR SOAPBOX... that we're all "Atkins following protein worshippers" simply because we've gotten results on a little bit of a different ratio that you seem to spout off as a holy creed.

And please knock it off about the GMO thing... there are MANY non-GMO vegetable proteins out there to choose from, so please.... enough already.

Post something positive for a change. You're negativity is really starting to wear on me... but maybe that's the point for you? To go on and on for pages and pages only to get the last word and therefore feel some sort of victory??? cough, SOAPBOX

No couture547... By "SOAPBOX", he means that you seem to go on and on and on AND ON on every thread putting down those of us who choose to consume Vegan protein powders as people who eat "just like an omni" (that is what you said)..... and that you are better than everyone because you only consume whole, non-processed foods and don't focus on your protein consumption.

And like he said, you're gross exaggerations that claim anyone who follows a higher protein MODERATE carb diet (something that works for many people, although you don't seem to be interested in what works... only in repeating your same 10 - 20% creed over and over again to the point of naseau) is untrue.

Again, you are not interested in facts. You are not interested in the many examples that I've given you of people who are getting results by supplementing with some additional Vegan protein powders. I've given you lots and lots of real-life examples of people who were only able to acheive their desired results when they supplemented... but you don't want to here any real life examples... you just want to keep repeating yourself ON YOUR SOAPBOX... that we're all "Atkins following protein worshippers" simply because we've gotten results on a little bit of a different ratio that you seem to spout off as a holy creed.

And please knock it off about the GMO thing... there are MANY non-GMO vegetable proteins out there to choose from, so please.... enough already.

Post something positive for a change. You're negativity is really starting to wear on me... but maybe that's the point for you? To go on and on for pages and pages only to get the last word and therefore feel some sort of victory??? cough, SOAPBOX

I never knocked anyone until people knocked me and even then only to the people that did it to me. When someone basically says take what he says with a gain of salt becasue he was eatting a raw food diet then that's very rude and disrespctful. As if being on a raw food diet is like being some junky. The bottom line with people that go on a raw food diet weather raw is good or bad is the fact that there trying to better themselves no matter what it takes. Not looking for some magic pill, but willing to do whatever it takes.

Another thing i'd like to add is that this is common on here or life in general to bash people that are doing some thing different. Meat eaters bash veganism like crazy and then vegans bash people doing some thing different even though it's still vegan. I saw it with Blackman. While i disagree with most of what he says he got bashed on here like crazy many of which was personal. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. If your not looking to get bashed don't bash in the first place. There's a difference between debating nutrition becasue there's a million different nutritional opinons out there and taking it to a personal level.

Never mentioned raw food once in this thread or the other thread until you warned the TS that i was a raw foodist. Like i said before i'm not even a raw foodist anymore becasue of financial reasons and never have talked bad about cooked foods. What i do think is bad is telling people that are new to veganism that you need to supplement one of the 3 macro nutrients to gain strength and size. Would one have to do that on a Omni diet? No. Or vegans that live on processed junk foods/ gmo's. There's a reason that vegans get a bad rap from omni people. They say on average there sickly looking, small, weak. While i don't blame veganism on that, but any time someone is on a "rare" diet they blame the type of diet not the diet it's self. Whole unprocessed foods are key on any diet and the further one gets away from that the worse the diet is.

Isolated protein is never going to be as good as the source of the food in it's natural form. doesn't matter if it's Whey, Hemp, Soy, Pea, rice or whatever. Food is the way it is for a reason and it's not wise to change that. Whole wheat has nutritional benefits, White flower is crap. It cracks me up when i see people buy something like Pea protein powder for 30 a pound when you can go buy the real compete food for $1 a pound

It cracks me up when i see people buy something like Pea protein powder for 30 a pound when you can go buy the real compete food for $1 a pound

30 a pound? 30 what? Certainly not dollars. Pea protein is cheap. Now, if I have to eat 500 g and 400 kcal of the "real compete" food to get the same protein I get out of 30 g of the powder, and if protein is my goal and my micronutrient profile is off the charts so I don't have to worry about it, why not go with the powder? It's non-GMO. It's 1/3 the price, assuming the "real compete" food is $1/lb.

Oh, that's right. Because it's as bad as the Atkins diet. Because eating hemp or pea or soy protein is essentially the same as pumping my GI tract full of animal fats, animal proteins, and cholesterol. Ugh.

It cracks me up when i see people buy something like Pea protein powder for 30 a pound when you can go buy the real compete food for $1 a pound

Not $30 a pound, just $18.

http://www.naturadestore.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=81&idCategory=

I used to use it. It is pea protein fortified with vegan-centric vitamins and made into a complete protein with some other non-soy powders.

Not $30 a pound, just $18.

http://www.naturadestore.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=81&idCategory=

I used to use it. It is pea protein fortified with vegan-centric vitamins and made into a complete protein with some other non-soy powders.

Pea's are a complete protein on there own. There's not one whole food at least that i've seen that isn't. The amino acid profile of split pea's riviles many animal products

Pea's are a complete protein on there own. There's not one whole food at least that i've seen that isn't.

No, none of that is true.

I know I will not convince you, but if there are any new vegans reading this thread please research vegan nutrition for yourself. You can start with these well credentialed sources:

http://veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13710

Show me One whole food that is missing one of the essential 8-10 amino acids. http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4354/2

Proff that your wrong on this