The Protein Thread( All things protein-rific list here ).

Dr. Pink

It is my understanding that even though they techinically contain all 8 essential amino acids a lot of them have only trace amounts of methionine. Zinc deficiency FTW!!!!

Or trace amounts of another amino.

1 microgram of all the amino's in a serving of a food doesn't make the food 'protein complete' since the total amount of protein is essential 0 grams.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my understanding that even though they techinically contain all 8 essential amino acids a lot of them have only trace amounts of methionine. Zinc deficiency FTW!!!!

I haven't seen any that only have a trace amount. Only when a trace amount of food is eaten. ALL beans, peas and lentials, veggies, nuts, seeds have great amino acid profiles. Every protein source like every food has it's high points and low points. There's no single protein source that has every amino acids at equal levels. Kinda like some foods are higher in Vit A and the next food is Higher in Zinc, therefore no matter what the diet a variety is of the upmost importance.

For Example in the BBing world the Egg is considered the perfect protein, Yet it's very low in Tryptophan, and pretty low in Methionine. Doesn't mean the food sucks, just means there's no such thing as a single perfect food. Variety!

I haven't seen any that only have a trace amount. Only when a trace amount of food is eaten. ALL beans, peas and lentials, veggies, nuts, seeds have great amino acid profiles. Every protein source like every food has it's high points and low points. There's no single protein source that has every amino acids at equal levels. Kinda like some foods are higher in Vit A and the next food is Higher in Zinc, therefore no matter what the diet a variety is of the upmost importance.

For Example in the BBing world the Egg is considered the perfect protein, Yet it's very low in Tryptophan, and pretty low in Methionine. Doesn't mean the food sucks, just means there's no such thing as a single perfect food. Variety!

4 cans of kidney bean a little less that 100 grams of protein. And so what are you going to have for lunch, friendless and alone?

Edited by Vegan Joe

But there IS such a thing as a perfect protein food for humans. And that is a food that doesn't have equal amounts of aminos, but one that has aminos in the correct ratio for the human body. Egg is a super protein because it has aminos in a perfect ratio for the human body, whereas some beans, wheat, rice, etc have a limited amount of some aminos, so they aren't the perfect ratio for human consumption...

But there IS such a thing as a perfect protein food for humans. And that is a food that doesn't have equal amounts of aminos, but one that has aminos in the correct ratio for the human body. Egg is a super protein because it has aminos in a perfect ratio for the human body, whereas some beans, wheat, rice, etc have a limited amount of some aminos, so they aren't the perfect ratio for human consumption...

And that correct amont is what fact? No one knows the exact amino needed it's a guess. Your needs are different then mine and my needs are different then the next person. That's why we're individual. Combining Pea, bean, Rice will give you a more balanced protein then any single animal product could ever do. Not to mention has fiber and many other nutrients something animal products have little of

4 cans of kidney bean a little less that 100 grams of protein. And so what are you going to have for lunch, friendless and alone?

Why would you sit down and eat 4 can's of beans in one meal? I know guys that sit down and eat all chicken breast and brown rice and have massive gas. If your prepairing Beans, peas, lential right and have good digestion you'll not have gas

Why would you sit down and eat 4 can's of beans in one meal? I know guys that sit down and eat all chicken breast and brown rice and have massive gas. If your prepairing Beans, peas, lential right and have good digestion you'll not have gas

IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT REAL HARD A LIGHT MIGHT COME ON.

IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT REAL HARD A LIGHT MIGHT COME ON.

No body needs 100 grams of protein per meal. Even acording to alot of Omni bbers the most the body can use is about 40 at any given time.

Again why would you sit down and eat 4 cans of beans? Sounds pretty boring to me

So how are you going to get enough protein in you diet to BB?

Eat 4 cans of beans everyday?

Personally i don't belive in Boxed, canned, jarred foods. But to answer your question if you eat a wide variety of whole grains, seeds, fruits, veggies, beans, Peas, lentials you end up around 15-20 percent protein depending on the amount of each food type your eatting. 4K=200 grams of protein, you can do the math on what the protein amounts are on other calories amounts. Getting all your protein from kidney beans would be about as smart as getting all protein from isolated protein powders

Show me One whole food that is missing one of the essential 8-10 amino acids. 54/2

Proff that your wrong on this

You are the one making extreme claims against the facts. The burden of proof is yours. I have better things to do this evening then spending my time looking up citations for well known facts on the web so you can ignore them.

Edited by beforewisdom

Personally i don't belive in Boxed, canned, jarred foods. But to answer your question if you eat a wide variety of whole grains, seeds, fruits, veggies, beans, Peas, lentials you end up around 15-20 percent protein depending on the amount of each food type your eatting. 4K=200 grams of protein, you can do the math on what the protein amounts are on other calories amounts. Getting all your protein from kidney beans would be about as smart as getting all protein from isolated protein powders

DON'T WORRY THE LIGHT WILL NEVER COME ON.

Show me One whole food that is missing one of the essential 8-10 amino acids. 54/2

Proff that your wrong on this

You are the one making extreme claims against the facts. The burden of proof is yours. I have better things to do this evening then spending my time looking up citations for well known facts on the web so you can ignore them.

Well known facts? maybe well known myths. The whole you must combine beans and rice to make a complete protein is one of the biggest myths against veganism. Both are complete proteins and when you combine both of them you have a better more balanced protein then just about any single animal source.

Show one example on Nutrition data to support your statements

DON'T WORRY THE LIGHT WILL NEVER COME ON.

That one needs more then 200 grams of protein? Then eat more food.

Telling people new to veganism that you have to supplement 1/3 of the macro nutrients(fat, protein, carbs) is like trying to sell a car to someone without a engine. A vegan diet can be compete and good for everyone without supplements just like a Omni diet can be, it's a matter of eatting the right foods and the right amounts. Before someone says B12 i'd like to point out that the majority of people with a B12 def are omni people, so it's probably best for everyone to supplement with that.

It is more complicated then looking things up on nutritiondata.com and even if it wasn't I wouldn't spend my time on you. Other people have put facts square in your lap and you kept arguing as if they wrote nothing. You posts are frequently wrong factually and reflect an attitude of being contrary for the sake of only being contrarian.

Maybe you would be happier posting on a forum with people who have beliefs similar to yours?

It is more complicated then looking things up on nutritiondata.com and even if it wasn't I wouldn't spend my time on you. Other people have put facts square in your lap and you kept arguing as if they wrote nothing. You posts are frequently wrong factually and reflect an attitude of being contrary for the sake of only being contrarian.

Maybe you would be happier posting on a forum with people who have beliefs similar to yours?

I haven't seen one fact being said to the contrary of what i've said. maybe you're refering to the people saying they gained 20-44 pounds of lean tissue. I have no way of proving there wrong nor do they have documented stuff showing i'm wrong.

Telling people new to veganism that you have to supplement 1/3 of the macro nutrients(fat, protein, carbs) is like trying to sell a car to someone without a engine. A vegan diet can be compete and good for everyone without supplements just like a Omni diet can be, it's a matter of eatting the right foods and the right amounts. Before someone says B12 i'd like to point out that the majority of people with a B12 def are omni people, so it's probably best for everyone to supplement with that.

This is a bodybuiding forum as the name suggests. No one said that a you could not get a healthy diet without supplements. It's like a broken record that keeps on skipping. I love your suggestion to "just eat more".

No the light will never come on. Don't you ever get tired of proselytizing. Most of these people here don't want to hear your holier than though BS. We all know what a good diet consists of. And it's not walking some tight rope.

Let me ask you something. Are you right now working on muscle gain in some sort of workout program?

You're not going tell everyone how to bake cookies, when you've never baked cookies before, are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Digestibility_Corrected_Amino_Acid_Score

PLANT FOODS ARE NOT AS OPTIMAL FOR BUILDING MUSCLE MASS AS MEAT AND DAIRY.

Veganism isn't a choice that we make to build huge bodies, it's a choice we make to support compassion. NO, a vegan diet isn't optimal for building mass, but who cares, at least nothing has to suffer for our muscle.

But that DOESN'T give you an excuse to ignore established scientific fact in some random quest to prove veganism is a superior diet to everything else in the world...

This is a bodybuiding forum as the name suggests. No one said that a you could not get a healthy diet without supplements. It's like a broken record that keeps on skipping. I love your suggestion to "just eat more".

No the light will never come on. Don't you ever get tired of proselytizing. Most of these people here don't want to hear your holier than though BS. We all know what a good diet consists of. And it's not walking some tight rope.

Let me ask you something. Are you right now working on muscle gain in some sort of workout program?

You're not going tell everyone how to bake cookies, when you've never baked cookies before, are you?

Yes i lift weights for strength and size is a natural part that comes with that. I know i'm one of the stronger guys on this forum. I know VeganEssentials is a hell of alot stronger and probably a couple other guys are stronger, but overall i'm stronger then most. before march i hadn't lifted since high school which was around 4 years before that. I have friends of all strength levels and of all diets, so over the years i noticed trends. I have a 47 year old friend(NO drugs, No Supplements) Veg diet, around 20 percent protein and is one of the strongest natural guys i've ever seen. I'm getting faster and better strength gains then anyone at my gym i go to. I'm one of two vegan guys there and most guys there are eatting massive amounts of protein shakes, chicken, eggs and all that. the main trend i've noticed is the people(any diet) getting the best results are people that eat the most amounts of real whole foods. And people that get there protein from whole foods