GMO foods to Avoid (check them out)

RAINRA

How about finding someone with a chemistry or biology background who is against GMO foods. Oh wait, you won't, because they are a good thing.

The way that I heard it was that when they discovered that there was half as many gene sequences in the human genenome, they realized that genes express more than one trait. So by inserting a gene for a particular trait, it will most likely give you that expression, but they don't know what other (good/bad) expressions will accompany it.

Here is somethings about the friend to humanity Monsanto

http://louisepitt.vodpod.com/pod/tag/340703/gmo

http://www.inteldaily.com/?c=172&a=5653

Oh, and thanks RAINRA for taking this off my back burner and putting it on the forefront of my proactive agenda. In the New Year and starting now I will be writing my public officials, and be trying to make a difference. Especially being vegan and all I eat is vegetable based matter.

How about finding someone with a chemistry or biology background who is against GMO foods. Oh wait, you won't, because they are a good thing.

My dad has a Ph.D in chemistry and he opposes. My grandfather who has some degree in biochemistry and i a former M.D. opposes it too. Acctually almost everyone I know who are scientists opposes GMO, don't know how outspoken they are about it though.

My dad has a Ph.D in chemistry and he opposes. My grandfather who has some degree in biochemistry and i a former M.D. opposes it too. Acctually almost everyone I know who are scientists opposes GMO, don't know how outspoken they are about it though.

One of my degrees is biology and I oppose much GMO technology, so I'm confused about that statement.

Give me a reason (besides the fact that Monsanto sucks, that's not an argument). GMO foods are easier to grow, more resistant to disease, will grow more per unit of land, and specific traits can be bred in or bred out of them. I have no problem with improving nature. It's the exact same process as cross breeding (which has been done without argument for hundreds of years (if not thousands). Naturally it will need to be a regulated industry, as with any other, but that is no excuse to halt scientific progress...

"Growing GM is something of a Pandora’s box, potentially the modern-day equivalent of the Romans releasing the first rabbits into the UK. The danger is not that GM crops will mutate over time and become a superbreed like some kind of science fiction nightmare; but the possibility that the genes could spread from one GM species of plant and cross pollinate with other plants that then spread into natural communities and change the natural order of things in a way that we don't know how to deal with.

Now, I’m no poster-boy for GM. I’m a farmer whose background is in science. I did a degree in zoology and studied a phD in entomology, and am as passionate about science as I am about farming.

What I want to do is to bring some ideas to the fore; I don’t want to be overly negative or positive, I just want to see what the potentials are and draw some conclusion.

Ultimately for me it’s about freedom of choice. If you want to eat GM, you should have that right. But more importantly if you don’t want to eat GM, you should also have that right, and this may already have has been taken away from us. After all, GM Crops are grown world-wide.

Prince Charles has caused controversy over GM and has come under criticism from sections of the farming community, but I think that we need people like him to get us debating the issue.

The current status quo of GM Crops may not be the answer, but we have a responsability to rigorously and openly discuss the science, as well as its consequences."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/11/22/do2209.xml

Give me a reason (besides the fact that Monsanto sucks, that's not an argument). GMO foods are easier to grow, more resistant to disease, will grow more per unit of land, and specific traits can be bred in or bred out of them. I have no problem with improving nature. It's the exact same process as cross breeding (which has been done without argument for hundreds of years (if not thousands). Naturally it will need to be a regulated industry, as with any other, but that is no excuse to halt scientific progress...

First of all a GMO is not a real food any longer. GMO food is still relatively new, so the long term health effects are not known and will not be know for a long time. I can go on and on why GMO's are bad, but one of the things that bugs me the most about them is the fact that you can patent the seed something you can't do with a natural seed and before you know it the powers to be own all food. Even food you grow at your house. I can't think of anything worse then that for health and for are freedoms

I watched some of this documentary about it (sorry, forgot what it's called) and GMO crops seem like really exploitable by the government. Farms that do not produce GMO sometimes end up have it growing on their land because of some pollenation. Now since that specifically rendered (by a government agency) species is growing on their land without permission, they are subject to be fined and put through a storm of paperwork and lawsuits because of no fault of their own.

This seems like more evil in government agency than in GMO itself. But I'm opposed to any type of GMO simply because it seems unnatural, that's just my feeling. (high fructose corn syrup is awful)

First of all a GMO is not a real food any longer. GMO food is still relatively new, so the long term health effects are not known and will not be know for a long time. I can go on and on why GMO's are bad, but one of the things that bugs me the most about them is the fact that you can patent the seed something you can't do with a natural seed and before you know it the powers to be own all food. Even food you grow at your house. I can't think of anything worse then that for health and for are freedoms

GMOs are certainly real food. They contain nutrients and will easily sustain you. I've never seen a study showing that GMOs are or are not particularly dangerous to humans. The risks are unknown, and could simply be imaginary.

However, your second point is what worries me. Patented commodities is frightening.

GMOs are certainly real food. They contain nutrients and will easily sustain you. I've never seen a study showing that GMOs are or are not particularly dangerous to humans. The risks are unknown, and could simply be imaginary.

However, your second point is what worries me. Patented commodities is frightening.

A synthetic multi has alot of things that can sustain us. The SAD diet can sustain us for 70 plus years, doesn't mean it's ideal. Food is the way food is for a reason, Science can look at many things in food, but there's a ton of stuf undiscovered. You start changing a Pineapple so it can grow in Alaska you have a mutant food.

Even if studies come out showing the food perfectly fine to eat, guess who funds these studies

Being afraid of GMO food is like being afraid of vaccines or rocket engines. Yes there is potential for trouble, but the benefits far outweigh the risks...

Not sure What Rocket engines have to do with it, but if you think that benfits far out way the risks you havn't done much research on the subject. The companies that are doing the GMO's are the same companies that invented pesticides, Herbicides along with the biological and Chemical weapons that are used to devestate inocent people in war. Agent Orange, ring a bell?

I agree with Vegan Joe. Those who don't mind GM crops should be able to eat them. But I personally don't want my food altered with, especially on a genetic level. I think if we developed a list of pros and cons of GMO, the pros could be fulfilled by other, less unnatural ways.

For instance, if a species of a crop is at risk of disease outbreak, that could be somewhat prevented by diversifying the species of the crop. This is happening with bananas, which are largely one species, and is at risk of being wiped out all together. I'd my rather see more biodiversity than the alteration of genetics. I'm much in agreement with Couture547, nature's blueprint is perfect as is, we shouldn't change it, but rather work around it.

Plus, much of the GMO benefits favor grains for the cattle industry. I'm sure if there were a proper distribution of food for humans (it's something like 80% of US grains go towards the cattle industry? correct me if I'm wrong), then we would have plenty more food to distribute amongst the people. GMOs would seem like a less necessary alternative.

Oh God you nature hippies are killing me...

Do a little research on the GMO companies. If your a vegan it probably means you care about animals. The companies making the GMO foods are making Bovine Growth hormone that are being injected into the animals, not to mention the nasty lab test they do on animals.

Does this sound like someone you feel comfortable getting your food from? There a Wolfe in Sheeps clothing. Them among other GM companies are some of the most immoral companies seen. Once you don't have control over the food you eat you have absolutely no control over your health. Funny how there connected to the drug and insurance companies

The 1940s saw Monsanto become a leading manufacturer of plastics, including polystyrene, and synthetic fibers. Since then, it has remained one of the top 10 US chemical companies. Other major products have included the herbicides 2,4,5-T, DDT, and Agent Orange used primarily during the Vietnam War as a deforestation agent (and later proven to be highly carcinogenic to any who come into contact with the solution), aspartame (NutraSweet), bovine somatotropin (bovine growth hormone (BST), and PCBs[3]. Also in this decade, Monsanto operated the Dayton Project, and later Mound Laboratory in Miamisburg, Ohio, for the Manhattan Project, the development of the first nuclear weapons and, after 1947, the Atomic Energy Commission. Monsanto began manufacturing DDT in 1944, along with some 15 other companies.[4] The use of DDT in the U.S. was banned by Congress in 1972

1954, Monsanto partnered with German chemical giant Bayer to form Mobay and market polyurethanes in the US. In the 1960s and 1970s, Monsanto became the leading producer of Agent Orange for US Military operations in Vietnam

Yes GM companies are bad, I agree. Why are we still mentioning Monsanto? Nike is a bad company, but does that make shoes bad? Wal-mart is a bad company, but does that make all of their products bad? Not at all.

GM companies = bad

GM food = good

What do you know, your not even afraid of vaccines or rocket engines. One has the potential to kill you, and the other could suck you up and spit you out. LOL

A liitle fear is a healthy thing.

Yes GM companies are bad, I agree. Why are we still mentioning Monsanto? Nike is a bad company, but does that make shoes bad? Wal-mart is a bad company, but does that make all of their products bad? Not at all.

GM companies = bad

GM food = good

Well if you have a issue with a company the best thing you can do is not support that company by not buying products.

Aside from not really wanting to consume the weird stuff that goes into making GMO foods (the thought of crossing specific genetics of a type of fish with strawberries to reduce the need for pesticides, for example, is pretty freaky to me), I personally think that once you go organic, GMO stuff tastes like crap. I had a few taste tests over the summer, and comparing organic watermelon, pineapple, apples and berries to those that were GMO saw the flavor aspect of organics winning hands-down. Strong flavored fruits like citrus, for example, don't show as much difference (except for the fact that you can get a GMO grapefruit the size of your head ), but fruits with a more subtle flavor had substantially more taste and didn't seem as bland as GMO fruits did. Veggies, for the most part, were tougher for me to really tell, but with fruit, it's no comparison - organic wins the taste test every time

I agree organic is way better tasting the non org. I've never had a GM Fruit or Veggie at least to my knowledge, so i can't compare organic vs. Gm. One things is for sure wether there's no negitive health effects to GM foods or not(which i'd bet any thing there is) I wouldn't want to support such a company that commits crimes against Humanity and Animals. The compete globalization of food would be absolutely horrible, then the powers to be have 100 percent control over every ascpet of your life including your health. Are Freedoms are being taken away as time goes on and there comes a point where you have to put your footdown. Choice of natural foods are the biggest freedom i can think of