WWOOFing suggestions

Storietime

Hehe, It's essentially volunteering on organic farms in exchange for room and board (usually food too). I got a maybe with one place but they said they have a dairy cow and make butter, milk and other stuff. I don't know if I wanna tug on a cow for 3 months.

Fruit farm is ideal, I'd much rather spend my time outside picking fruit or mulching or weeding. Plus to get as much freshly picked tropical fruit as I want would be awesome.

I lived in Hawaii for awhile. What island are you planning on? I don't know everything (not even close), but I'm imagining you having a semi hard time getting a place that will do this for you. I'd think the bigger places have people they pay, and don't want to bother with housing people, and the smaller places just do it themselves (and also don't want to bother with housing). It's not like some other places, where they hire seasonal workers...because it isn't too seasonal, although summer is at least the dry season.

But good luck, I'm sure if and when you make it happen it'll be a great opportunity!!

• 4 weeks later...

I wwoofed in Hawaii last year. It was awesome. I was on the Big Island. There are tons of farms all over Hawaii that offer internships. Some are more vegan friendly than others obviously. The farm I was at was very supportive of my veganism and bought me all the food I could eat. Sometimes they would cook meals for me too. I stayed in an old RV and there were three other interns who stayed in a huge tent. I worked 25 hours per week in exchange for food, lodging, and knowledge. I would love to go back. It's beautiful over there and the weather is great. There are plenty of farms to choose from. I found mine at organicvolunteers.com.

Two suggestions:

http://www.dancingrabbit.org/index.php - Dancing Rabbit is an eco-village in Missouri, mostly vegan, solar powered, homemade bio-diesel, composting toilets etc. No farm animals that I know of.

http://www.acorncommunity.org/ - Mostly vegan last time I was there, organic seed business, acres of organic veggies, hot tub in the woods! A few chickens were the only animals when I was last there a few years ago.