how about honey?

VNessWink

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please run...im interested. there is really no official definition for vegan in my opinion when it comes to lifestyle choices, many lines are fuzzy. i believe the idea behind being vegan began as just treat animals how you want to be treated. wool fits with the vegan lifestyle if its in the sheeps best interest to have the wool removed. it is situational, not honey or dairy or gelatin ....but wool is situational. i only care about the word when its on a menu or a carton of food. you can call me a lactose intolerant vegetarian but i feel like often vegan is a status symbol people wear on their sleeves and they miss the big picture. think about it. the sheep grows all this wool on your family farm. the wool needs to be removed for health and comfort issues. so this man should go buy a sweatshop sweater instead of practicing sustainability and making one himself. that seems like a waste of resources for a title.

.im interested. there is really no official definition for vegan.

Here is a PDF copy of the 1st Vegan Society newletter Donald Watson wrote for leaving the Vegetarian Society Of The UK, defining the new word "vegan" he and his wife coined, and establishing the Vegan Society Of The UK

http://beforewisdom.com/veg/archive/watsonStartVeganism.pdf

wearing wool from your companion sheep or from a sheep you know is well loved IS vegan.

ooohhh.... if I was feelin really sassy tonight, I would've taken this comment and ran in a whole other direction with this thread...

Hey, if you're going to have a "companion sheep," which is only legal in Massachusetts, might as well make sure it's "well-loved."

wearing wool from your companion sheep or from a sheep you know is well loved IS vegan.

ooohhh.... if I was feelin really sassy tonight, I would've taken this comment and ran in a whole other direction with this thread...

Hey, if you're going to have a "companion sheep," which is only legal in Massachusetts, might as well make sure it's "well-loved."

yep, I knew someone would pick up that ball and run with it....

That's hysterical really!

I think my buddy AuburnOutlook got tangled up in something here. There is another thread here called "Defining Vegan/Vegetarian" and the topic was about wool, silk, etc. I bumbled into it saying that when my neighbors need their sheep shorn, I go do it for them. Often, things being the way they are, they want to pay me in wool rather than money. I know the people, I know how they care for their animals, etc, so I accept the payment in wool and that still seems to be OK with me as a vegan. In that thread, the humanely treated sheep made sense....and to talk about being vegan as a way of seeing things, a vigilance about cruelty, not about a set of rules like "you must never wear wool" made sense.

I am afraid those two threads got mixed. In any case, I am trying to think of some smart, funny remark about sexy sheep but everything is just too gross, so I will just stop.

Let me try to think this thru?

You is, if you aint.

Labels are only good for the back of your shirt.

If it makes you feel good, then do it.

i dont get this.

You should do, what you see as a right thing to do. Not because some label says so. My own veganism is about the idea that animals aren't to be used as they can't really deside, do they want to get used and we don't ask them about it. Animal wellfare point of view would say that it's okay to use animals, if they are treated right.

I think it has more to do with the types of ranches that Drnatural is helping out with. Are these the same farms he's getting his raw meat from. Is it some how helping to sustain a farm that works with animal production. I am unsure about how many "happy" animals are really running around?

but by this means the sheep would not have his wool removed and cows would go unmilked.

cows unmilked? Where are the calves? Cows produce milk only to their babies, calves, not for humans. And calves are seperated from their mothers since a very early age (and some of them are killed) so that they won't drink the milk their mothers have to give to humans to drink.

And sheeps used to live in places, where their fur was important for them. Their natural inhabitant isn't Australia, you know? And there are some sheep races that don't produce as much wool as there sheeps we know. It's just a feature they have because of they have been bred that way.

e. And because of this wool some sheeps die because it's too hot (dehydration? I don't remember the word..) and some may die because of cold, when the wool is sheared. And shearing causes damages to sheeps, if you're not careful. Cuts and wounds that might be left untreated, if the horde is bigger and there's no time to take care of every individual.

i was speaking specifically about about one instance where a member said he knitted an article of clothing made from the wool of a friends sheep. if being vegan means paying such close attenttion to the lines in the sand that you loose sight of the beach then im not a vegan. also i will say, i never really cared what people called me.

i have lived with cows and often times they produce more milk than the calf can drink or te calf is ill and doesnt drink any. we would milk the cows to ease the burden of carrying all that milk. i have never lived with sheep but ive seen sheep when they arent sheared and that wool is a major discomofort and can be hazardous to their health. why throw the wool away?

if you're not careful

this is my point. being vegan i presumed was doing what is in the best interest for ALL living creatures. CASE BY CASE. the sheep doesnt have a choice in being sheared but neither do cats when they need vaccines or what food they eat or sheltering them from cars with fences. my whole point of continuing this thread and the defining vegan one was that sometimes you do un vegan things to do whats best for the animal...which in turn makes those actions vegan.

i really appreciate all of the responses on here. its given me alot to digest. so thank you. i no longer think vegan is the right term for myself. i always felt a bit odd about giving my lifestyle a title anyway.

cows are awesome. can you image cows being endangered. that would suck. just because 98 percent of farm animals are used in haneous ways doesnt mean the other 2 percent should stop mating. i ant wait to have a farm again. cows and chickens and whatever other animals i can rescue. blind gay pittbulls. all of them.

also i love that you call it calving in refrence to what im talking about. its not like we made them, cows are just like us with feelings and all. on my farm we didnt call it calving, we called it sex.

cows are awesome. can you image cows being endangered. that would suck. just because 98 percent of farm animals are used in haneous ways doesnt mean the other 2 percent should stop mating. i ant wait to have a farm again. cows and chickens and whatever other animals i can rescue. blind gay pittbulls. all of them.

also i love that you call it calving in refrence to what im talking about. its not like we made them, cows are just like us with feelings and all. on my farm we didnt call it calving, we called it sex.

Now they have got to be an endangered species.

But what's wrong with cows in the form of Buffalo, roaming what little wild habitat they can. After all cows of today are a manmade breed, as are the chickens. What do you think honey?

I guess that there's no one, who's "a perfect vegan". As someone said here before, even producing vegan food kills animals unintentionally, like I guess apiculture does, I'm sure that they don't mean to kill those bees that get possibly killed while collecting honey.

And I also think that being vegan isn't about being strick about everything, it's more like questioning this modern view of animals as something that's for ours to use like we want.

Vegan Joe said well about calving those cows. And I kow that if the calve doesn't drink, the cows should be milked to make them feel more comfortable. But those cows are bred to produce as much milk as possible. Just like cows and pigs are bred to develope as much mass (=meat) as they can and at the same time they try to breed them to produce less fat than what they used to do hundred years ago. And now there's even GMO.

But you know, I wouldn't hink it as a vegan thing to do, to get your cow pregnant and drinking the milk it produces as I don't belive that it would be good to get yourself a woman, make her pregnant and drink the milk the woman produces. Same thing really, even if you treated her nicely and gave her good food and a warm place to sleep, it wouldn't really change much. You would be still using her for your own good.

I just think that it would have an adversarial impact on other people, if they saw a vegan milking a cow and drinking it's milk just like that. How can you say that "you can easily survive without meat, dairy and eggs" and still eat or drink them yourself? Isn't being vegan a way to show to others that the animals abusing meat/dairy/egg/wool/leather producing industry is wrong and needless?