Blood Tests

BodhiDave85

I didnt see any topics where we can post our blood test results and dicuss them with others, so I shall start one with some of my numbers. Id really appreciate some feedback from other vegans who are knowledgable!!

My Results on 12/4/08

White Cell Count 4.6k/cu MM Good range - 4.6-11.6

Red Cell Count 4.54 million Good range- 4.3-5.9

Hemoglobin 13.8 gm/DL Good range 13.9-16.3

DO I HAVE ANEMIA?? EEk?

Glucose 67 mg/Dl Good range - 70- 100

Creatine .93mg/Dl Good range .51-1.41

Protein 6.4 g/Dl Good range 6.4-8.5

Iron 135 ug/dL Good range 35-179

Triglcerides 50 mg/dL Good range 20-149

Cholesterol 98 mg/DL Good range 100-199

HDL Cholesterol 32 mg/DL Good range 40-59

LDL " " 56 mg/DL Good range 20-100

IS MY CHOLESTEROL TOO LOW?

B12 800pg/mL Good range 250-1100

Most things look good!

1. You take a multi? How much zinc do you get?

2. There is technically no such thing as too low of cholesterol

I dont take a multi mostly because I like getting all my minerals through food and frankly dont know any reputable vegan multi's...suggest one if you like! As far as zinc, im not sure but Im 99% sure I get enough...maybe the sources could be a little better. Some sources online say low cholesterol raises the risk for heart attack??

2. There is technically no such thing as too low of cholesterol

That's actually incorrect. Cholesterol is an essential nutrient that, ideally, your body produces on its own to provide the amounts it needs. Typically because of the Standard American Diet the problem is that most people get too much dietary cholesterol and this leads to problems. But for a vegan who is not consuming any dietary cholesterol, it is something to watch, you do need cholesterol and very low amounts of it are known to cause issues.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-level/AN01394

Right, but this is a genetic setting. So some people have genetically high or low cholesterol, but for most this isn't a problem.

And besides that, there are precious few ways to abnormally raise cholesterol levels as a vegan (obviously increasing cholesterol intake is out of the question, so that pretty much leaves getting more saturated fat in your diet, exercising less, etc. all of which are things we don't really want to do). So low cholesterol is basically the lesser of two evils...