BB, strength, health and fitness goals for 2009

xjohanx

What's your goals, expectations, dreams and everything else?

Competitors (I know you're out there) which comps and do you aim to win? Everyone that likes to do 1RMs or maybe 5 RMs I don't know but what lifts and what weights do you see yourself lift in a year from now? Nutritionwise, any typical new years resolutions? Perhaps more detailed than just "I'm going to eat healthy next year"...Are you aiming for a sixpack at beach 09? Run a certain distance in a certain time etc.

Come on people. I want to hear everything, gogogogo.

Good thread, xjohanx.

Next year I'd like to: (current bests in parenthesis)

Overhead 300 lbs (254)

Strict Press 225 lbs (166)

Clean 275 lbs (240)

Squat 400 lbs (345)

DL 550 lbs (485)

Do 10 pullups (don't ask)

These should all be doable. Mid-year I'm going to be cutting down to sub-220 (getting married in July, don't wanna be fat ), so most likely these weights will have to wait till after the summer, when I can slowly rebuild towards 250/260.

What are your goals, johan?

Edited by ralst

Overhead 300 lbs

Strict Press 225 lbs

Clean 275 lbs

Squat 400 lbs

DL 550 lbs

Do 10 pullups

If you aim to jerk 300lbs I think you should aim to clean it as well . Doable.

Myself I expect to make a 100kg snatch and a 120kg clean & jerk. Goal would be to make more than that . Would be nice to do a few comps as well.

Ralst: It's awesome that you're getting married! Goals are looking solid, would you mind posting your current stats on those lifts?

I really think everyone should post here because it will be really fun to look back at in a year or half a year!

My goal is to do 50 dips (PR is 35 but I think I am a lot weaker) and 30 pull-ups (PR is 22 or 23 if I remember correctly but I think that was a long time ago).

I'm thinking about trying to do bench presses (my shoulders usually protest against this) so I can start doing 1RM, I also wanna do this on the deadlifts but I'm not sure I dare. I also want to find other activities than weight lifting (I'm thinking about kayaking and photography, perhaps start playing floorball again too, we'll see).

On the visual aspect I want to have a body I can be proud of and my goal is to get a visible six pack before summer

Ralst: It's awesome that you're getting married! Goals are looking solid, would you mind posting your current stats on those lifts?

Thanks xjohanx. I edited my first post to include current stats.

Btw, 50 dips would be pretty amazing

Well, yeah, but I didn't want my list to get too long In my head, I have a squat clean goal, a power clean goal, an axle power clean goal, an axle continental clean goal, a log clean goal, etc., and pressing goals for all of those

Do you have your eye on any particular comps yet, Bronco?

My goals have changed every few months over the past year or so, but so far, here's the list for 2009 -

1. Get bodyfat down as low as possible until April or May while maintaining strength as best as I can. I'm aiming to get as close to single-digit numbers as I'm able, but if I can get to around 12%, I'll be happy enough.

2. Work on CLEAN bulking again once I get sick of the coming months of building my endurance and trying to shed some fat. No more "eat everything in sight for 6 months and get strong and fat at the same time" stuff. Been there, done that, and it gets too damned depressing restarting over and over again.

3. Once I get back to bulking up again come summer, goals are this year to meet or exceed all past lifts, except bench, of which I don't really give a toss about any more. But, rather than just going for 1 rep max stuff as I alway have aimed for, goals this time around will be more like this -

- Push press 225x15 reps and finally break 300 for a single, strict overhead press 225x8 reps. Could probably squeeze out 8-10 on a good day for the push press, but I'd be lucky to get 3-4 on the strict press right now.

- Squat 405x12 without dying in the process, break 525 for a single again. Now, 405x5 would be tough, and my max is probably stalled out just above the mid 400s based on this fall's performance

- Deadlift 405x15 and get 545 or better for a single. I'd probably have to kill myself to get 405x8 right now, and I'm not sure where my max is now, but it can't be all that good and I doubt it'd even be 500 on a good day.

- Flip the 500ish tire I'll be bringing home (hopefully soon!) for sets of 20 flips without needing to stop and catch my breath. Did it once for 20, but had to make a few breaks along the way. That stuff will condition the hell out of me. And, I'd like to flip the 1000+ lb. tire I've only managed to get to waist high. Watching a guy who is more of a BB'er who weighs around 210 flip it 3 times in a row was pretty devastating to the ego, so I know I need to get that one conquered this year.

Got a bunch of other goals, but overall, my main mission is to get rid of at least another 20-30 lbs. of crappy bodyfat, up my conditioning greatly, and get back to old strength levels. If I could do the same things I used to weighing 240 instead of 280 and look better at the same time, I couldn't ask for more for 2009

I'm with VE in getting my bf down and trying to keep it down with clean bulking, cause it does get depressing seeing all the fat covering my muscles (though the eating everything in sight for 6 months is my idea of heaven ). I am also resigned to let my strength go in order to get my BF down to where it is healthy (and maybe below for 3 weeks or so for a comp ) and looks good. Then with the clean bulking I can regain my strength while looking good!

Let's see.

I want to run a 10K in spring of 09. I'm not sure when, I'm sure there will be plenty, but I am gearing up towards it now.

By this time next year I would like to have my squat over 110lbs...which should be extremely possible.

I'd also like to get my weight closer to 120lbs this summer.

Honestly though, my main goal is just to keep working out. In the past something has always "come up" and given me an excuse to not workout for over two weeks, and its really hindered my progress. If I don't meet any of the above goals, but am working out consistently, I'll be happy.

My goal is to do 50 dips (PR is 35 but I think I am a lot weaker) and 30 pull-ups

I don't have any fitness goals, but you've inspired me to try this one. I'll race you! (though 30 pull-ups is a helluvalot more than what i'm doing now!)

I'd like to reach 90 kg.. doable? maybe..

Lifts:

Front Squat 130 kg + for reps

Bench 120 kg for 5 or more reps

Deadlift 180 kg for 5 reps

Overhead Press 90 kg.. even if it is a push press

Do 20 pull-ups .. I kinda suck at the moment..

Clean & press 90 kg

Learn to snatch

Edited by sosso

Let's see.

I want to run a 10K in spring of 09. I'm not sure when, I'm sure there will be plenty, but I am gearing up towards it now.

By this time next year I would like to have my squat over 110lbs...which should be extremely possible.

I'd also like to get my weight closer to 120lbs this summer.

Honestly though, my main goal is just to keep working out. In the past something has always "come up" and given me an excuse to not workout for over two weeks, and its really hindered my progress. If I don't meet any of the above goals, but am working out consistently, I'll be happy.

My goal is to do 50 dips (PR is 35 but I think I am a lot weaker) and 30 pull-ups (PR is 22 or 23 if I remember correctly but I think that was a long time ago).

Do you have any plans to compete in athletic fitness? If you reach those goals you might be reasonably competitive.

Well, yeah, but I didn't want my list to get too long In my head, I have a squat clean goal, a power clean goal, an axle power clean goal, an axle continental clean goal, a log clean goal, etc., and pressing goals for all of those

He that makes sense. Do you plan to do any weightlifting comps by the way?

Do you have your eye on any particular comps yet, Bronco?

Ill do a local comp on january 18th, after that Im moving to austria so not sure what will happen.

1. Continue cutting bodyfat - I want to get as close to a six pack as possible by the first weekend in March.

2. Add a little bulk, whilst keeping bodyfat low (After March)

3. Injury Proof myself - Shoulder (Volleyball), Elbow (Rugby - who would have thought tackling a 120kg Islander guy and bending your elbow the wrong way could cause some tendonitis, go figure) and Ankle (Rugby) have all had problems this year, so I will continue building strength around these areas to stop injury in the future.

4. Increase Bench and Squat

5. Start Deadlifting again.

My goal is to do 50 dips (PR is 35 but I think I am a lot weaker) and 30 pull-ups
I don't have any fitness goals, but you've inspired me to try this one. I'll race you! (though 30 pull-ups is a helluvalot more than what i'm doing now!)
Cool, it's on. What's your current PR?

Do you have any plans to compete in athletic fitness? If you reach those goals you might be reasonably competitive.
I don't know. I have thought about it. Either AF or just dips and chins SM. It would be cool to get veganism out into the fitness scene but I won't start thinking serious about it untill I've reached some good reps. The Swedish record holder did 69 dips  he also has the record for most chins but I forgot what it is. He can bench his own bodyweightx2 which is kinda cool.

Cool, it's on. What's your current PR?

Damn, i was hoping you wouldn't notice my challenge! I just got home from the gym and i was like, man, how am i going to manage 30 chins? Well, I can't back down now. personal best on dips is 35, and chins is 15. To clarify, are you doing the wide-arms, palms forward pull-ups?

Something like this:

- bulk up to 83-85kg, then cut to a lean and solid 76-78kg during summer;

- fix lower back and start Squatting again;

- start DL'ing again;

- Overhead Press - 80kg 1RM;

- Flat Bench - 120kg-130kg 1RM;

- Pull ups - +15kg for 5x5;

- Dips - +25kg for 5x5.

Sorting out my fucked lower back and getting to Squat and Deadlift again would be insanely cool.

Damn, i was hoping you wouldn't notice my challenge! I just got home from the gym and i was like, man, how am i going to manage 30 chins? Well, I can't back down now. personal best on dips is 35, and chins is 15. To clarify, are you doing the wide-arms, palms forward pull-ups?

Yeah sorry, in Sweden we say chins to what you guys call pull-ups. I mean wider than shoulder grip and palms facing away from the body, your back is supposed to do the most of the work.

BTW I think chins will be the hardest for me too. Usually I notice progress with dips but my reps on the chins never goes up

To be sponsored, compete in a natural show, and appear in a magazine.

That is awesome goals, just awesome!! Good luck with it.

My Goal is to build more muscle.

It's hard to do alone. So I was hoping some of you would be able to help me with that.

I can't see myself racing anytime soon. Perhaps one or two races in 2009.

Right now I'm liking trying out different things.

My Goal is to build more muscle.

It's hard to do alone. So I was hoping some of you would be able to help me with that.

You're going to hate me for this, as you always do when I mention it, but you need to eat more and more proteinz!

hmmm...my goals, I would like to cut the bf (I know I should increase protein and cut the carbs a bit) run a 5k (starting small, I'm not a fan of running but I think it will help me get the body I want) Also the same thing sydneyvegan said: to injury proof myself, I'm tired of Physical Therapy cutting into my work-outs, it makes me feel lazy!

other goals: maybe get a trainer to which these goals, and to get my best friend in the gym! she's agreed to join a gym so we can work out together, should make things more fun!

off topic:

xphilx, in your avatar are you wearing an On Broken Wings hoodie?