Fighting a Bad Cold: Do You Still Work Out?

mango19

My jackass still does, but thats cause I am dumb.

You really shouldnt though for working out releases more white blood cells into circulation, but only with the intent on repairing workout damamge, you tax your immune system more by working out, therefore making it harder to fight off the virus/bacteria that has made you ill.

Tom

The general concensus that I've heard the most is -

- If the cold is from the neck up, train if you feel like it (but, if you're too worn out, don't bother)

- If the cold is below the neck and in your chest, don't train until you're on the mend.

I usually do train either when I feel a cold starting (in anticipation of needing some time off once it hits hard and I can't get off the couch), or, as soon as I can feel myself getting somewhat better. I've gotten some nasty head colds in the past few years, some that have taken about 2 weeks to run their course, and I never trained during the middle week when things were their worst. But, if it's just a head cold and you feel up to training, it's not going to kill you, but you may have a bad workout and regret going at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a vegan Vitamin D in mega doses for the first 2-3 days (no more), about 2000 IU will do it. There's good bit of research on it and it literally kicks the flu and regular old colds out fast, or you never get it at all! Also, I increase the level of garlic in all the food and garlic is a natural anti viral and anti biotic.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51913.php

Vegan Vitamin D (Ergocalciferol)

http://www.vegetarianvitamin.com/store/catalog/Vegan-Vitamin-D--Ergocalciferol-159.html

i had a horrible cold last week, i eventually had to resort to taking dayquil(i HATE drugs) so i could go back to work.

i didnt work out at all that week, although some days i felt like i maybe had the energy to do it. on those days when it was fron the neck up i still just chilled out, went to bed.

the way i see it, my body is in a defensive mode, trying to fight the cold off, and all energy reserves should be squandered.

lots of water, lots of small meals consisting of greens and fruit etc.

save your energy and you'll get better faster.

I've been sick for over a week and am thinking about starting back at the gym today - It's above the chest!

As for the vitamin D suggestion, some practitioners consider 2,000 units a maintenance dose (and some studies show that D2 may only be 1/3 the equivalent of D3). Doses of up to 10,000 units (D3 used in most studies) daily have been shown to be safe. My vit D levels are low. I'm taking 50,000 units (MD prescribed) 2x per week for the past 3 weeks and it did not keep me from getting a nasty sinus infection. But my levels are not expecting to rise to an adequate level until I've had 8 weeks of treatment. I won't go into vit D any further as I've written about my recent experience on other threads.

The general concensus that I've heard the most is -

- If the cold is from the neck up, train if you feel like it (but, if you're too worn out, don't bother)

- If the cold is below the neck and in your chest, don't train until you're on the mend.

I usually do train either when I feel a cold starting (in anticipation of needing some time off once it hits hard and I can't get off the couch), or, as soon as I can feel myself getting somewhat better. I've gotten some nasty head colds in the past few years, some that have taken about 2 weeks to run their course, and I never trained during the middle week when things were their worst. But, if it's just a head cold and you feel up to training, it's not going to kill you, but you may have a bad workout and regret going at all.

I agree completely with this statement.

I had a cold the last couple of days, but I was feeling pretty good today (just some minor sniffles and some dry throat-ness), so I hit the gym and had a great workout. I don't think I could workout when I was super under the weather anyway.