New favourite

ljk11

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always have to put ethics first. But I totally understand the flavor and taste are a huge part of how we make our food choices, probably the biggest factor. If people weren't a slave to their tastebuds, more and more would give up sugar, cheese, and non-vegan foods that contain those items.

I overreacted to your post Rob, and needlessly bit your head off. Or, as one sexy Brit puts it, "looked for offence when none was meant."

I went back to your post to try and figure out what part exactly rubbed me the wrong way. It is the paragraph I quoted above. Even though it was probably unintentional or at least subconscious, it appears to suggest that I dont put ethics above taste and it compares me to the likes of non-vegans in that regard.

Anyway, may I offer you your head back (if you dont mind the bite marks), along with an apology?

tarz -- you just threw in your two cents to try and get me worked up so I can strap you to a chair and punish you hard again. But no strapping you to a chair as a form of punishment for you anymore -- you enjoyed the thought too much last time.

Daywalker, Ash, Brian and Aaron: <3

Edited by compassionategirl

Nothing has blown up against a fan. And it is perfectly ok to start any topic, any thread or idea. We have passionate people on here and we're not always going to agree 100% of the time, but we're all here for a lot of the same reasons. We all have some interest in veganism, some interest in sports, and some interest in being part of a community with others who share those interests.

Choose your protein power and run with it

-Robster

I overreacted to your post Rob, and needlessly bit your head off. Or, as one sexy Brit puts it, "looked for offence when none was meant."

Anyway, may I offer you your head back (if you dont mind the bite marks), along with an apology?

Thanks Nat,

I didn't see that the first time.

I don't ever mean any harm with what I write, but if I ever do, there will be no doubt about it. (some of my friends I hang out with can confirm that).

Anyway, thanks for giving me my head back.

R B -- with head intact

Although I haven't actually tried either of the two products mentioned in this thread, based on the ingredients list it's obvious to me that FAR more thought went into the formulation of Vega than Pure Trim. The latter is just (sorry Compassionategirl--I know you are very partial to the product) basically a Clif Bar in liquid form.

Realize that with Vega, Brendan has added two of the greatest superfoods in existence: Maca and Chlorella, both of which are noticeably disagreeable where taste and texture is concerned. It would take a magician to formulate a meal replacement with these two ingredients and make it taste like a slice of heaven--one is decidely chalky, the other tastes like seaweed. When I blend hemp, maca, flax and chlorella together and add it to juice or soymilk no amount of sweetener can make it taste like the greatest beverage on Earth--but I accept the taste, knowing that I'm ingesting copious levels of amino acids, phytosterols, omega-3s, chlorophyll, etc.

The people at Pure Trim "know better". They given the public what it wants: a smooth, rich, tasting shake (which is most likely vegan by accident) by adding mediocre and 'people friendly' ingredients instead of those that pack a much greater nutritional punch. Pure Trim uses the predictable standby as far as sweetener is concerned: fructose, which while OK in modest amounts, is really not health promoting--certainly not to the extent that stevia is, which is what is used in Vega. Vendors have been getting away with using fructose for years, giving the public the false impression that, from a nutritional standpoint, it is leagues beyond sucrose--but it's not. In small amounts, associated with pectin and fiber in its naturally occuring state (fruit), well fine. As a refined product in higher doses, it leaves much to be desired.

My two cents.

It would take a magician to formulate a meal replacement with these two ingredients and make it taste like a slice of heaven--one is decidely chalky, the other tastes like seaweed. When I blend hemp, maca, flax and chlorella together and add it to juice or soymilk no amount of sweetener can make it taste like the greatest beverage on Earth--My two cents.

There must be some way to make a nutritional power house like Vega more palatable. The bars for example are much better. Why do the bars taste better than the shakes? Scientific explanation please.

Also, Michael, I 100% agree with what you said about Pure Trim being vegan by accident. I addressed this point in a post above. As I noted earlier, Pure trim was not made with the goal of veganism in mind, and it isnt even marketted as vegan nor is it directed at a vegan market, nor is it even labelled as "suitable for vegans" or anything like that, which is further evidence that it isnt even marketted for vegans. The company probably doesnt even know what a vegan is and probably doesnt care. The veganism of the shake was indeed essentially "accidental", so you are absolutely correct in my opinion.

But that doesnt change the fact though that it is vegan nevertheless and tastes good. I agree that Vega is nutritionally superior to Pure Trim, but Pure Trim is better than a soy or whey isolate powder. Would you agree?

Also, is fructose carcinogenic in your opinion, like that aspertame and those other artificial sweeteners?

Thanks

I agree that Vega is nutritionally superior to Pure Trim, but Pure Trim is better than a soy or whey isolate powder. Would you agree?

Also, is fructose carcinogenic in your opinion, like that aspertame and those other artificial sweeteners?

I replied that the vegan nature of Pure Trim was accidental based on what you indeed wrote prior--this seemed an astute observation on your part. I do think that the product is also better than an ordinary soy isolate powder (and certainly the whey version with its many health pitfalls!).

Fructose is certainly not carcinogenic (at least not to my knowledge) and certainly preferable to aspartame, acefulsame-K and sucralose. It's just that the human body treats it more or less like sugar, i.e it will cause insulin spiking (not as much as sucrose) and will just as likely promote Candida as do all simple carbohydrates.

The Vega bars use agave nectar as the sweetener, that might make a difference in taste

Hmmm... just wondering whether it would be possible to make the sweetener in the shakes agave nector as well then, and whether doing so would make a huge difference in taste? Or is there a reason why the sweetener in the shakes has to be stevia?

Just wondering... I know nothing about chemistry.

Fructose is certainly not carcinogenic (at least not to my knowledge) and certainly preferable to aspartame, acefulsame-K and sucralose. It's just that the human body treats it more or less like sugar, i.e it will cause insulin spiking (not as much as sucrose) and will just as likely promote Candida as do all simple carbohydrates.

Thanks for the info. You should seriously consider pursuing a phD in food chemistry.

Compassionategirl,

Thanks--nutritional biochemistry is a fascinating subject to me. Stevia is readily available in powdered/crystalline form. Agave nectar is a sort of vegan analogue to honey--that might pose problems when creating a meal replacement formula as a powder, but I'm not certain on this. I've stated this before, that xylitol would have been (to my taste buds, anyway) the better choice as sweetener. See my comments about xylitol (and the links I provided if you are further interested) here:

viewtopic.php?t=1315

Is it true that (I've read this...) aspartame is chemically changed to formaldehyde at temps above 85 F.?

Most assuredly:

"It is concluded that aspartame consumption may constitute a hazard because of its contribution to the formation of formaldehyde adducts."

[Life Sci. (scientific journal), Vol. 63, No. 5, pp. 337+, 1998]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...