smokers

isrealsson

People who quit smoking often gain weight. Nicotine is an appetite suppressant ( that is why all of those college women and models STILL smoke ). Going through withdrawal also gives people a lot of nervous energy which often leads to snacking on top of their appetite coming back with a vengence.

Quitting smoking is the most important thing you can do for your health.

Starting an exercise plan is a good idea for controlling the weight gain and the nervous energy.

There is a small amount of nicotine in velvet bean, mucuna pruriens. If you eat one a day, it may help you lose tolerance. Nicotine patches probably have more nicotine than you need. I quit smoking 8 years ago after chainsmoking for 4 years. I wouldn't recommend you quit without some form of assistance like a patch or a velvet bean. Mainly because it will mess with your head more than you need. Oral fixation is probably the most difficult thing about it. Look forward to smelling in 2 weeks. You will probably love how plants in gardens smell if you happen to live near any flowers.

Where do you get velvet beans?? I've used the patch, gum, lozenges, Zyban, Chantix (which screws up my system) haven't had any luck.

Funny thing for me is that smoking doesn't keep my appetite in check...if it did I wouldn't need to lose about ten pounds!

I have a "male plus" pill from tattvasherbs.com that contains mucuna pruriens as part of its extracted compounds; that is how I found out about its existence. It contains such a tiny amount of nicotine that it probably is only noticable in that it prevents the mind from going insane in the case that you are addicted to tobacco during its withdrawals. In other words, if you find a mucuna pruriens extract on the web, take 1 serving and see if it helps with the nic-fits. If you go with the seeds on maya-ethnobotanicals it probably would make sense to just eat one.

You could always do the nicotine gums or the nicotine patches to gradually step down. You wouldn't get as anxious from the physical withdrawal and would eat less. You would only the nervous energy from the psychological habit and you may not have that aspect to it.

I have both of those...used to have the lozenges too...have been on chatix twice and it messes up my digestive system so bad...never totally recovered from it the last time! I think my biggest fear isn't the withdrawal it's the weight gain.

Try working with a hypnotherapist.

My aunt smoked for over 20 years and quit after a few hypnotherapy sessions.

If you understand Neuro Associative Conditioning then you understand how your mind associates smoking with certain emotions, chemical releases, and physical sensations. If you were clever enough, you could alter this neurological association to your favor. This is essentially what a hypnotherapist does.

Try working with a hypnotherapist.

My aunt smoked for over 20 years and quit after a few hypnotherapy sessions.

If you understand Neuro Associative Conditioning then you understand how your mind associates smoking with certain emotions, chemical releases, and physical sensations. If you were clever enough, you could alter this neurological association to your favor. This is essentially what a hypnotherapist does.

great information!

Wow, I'm not alone in the smoking. I'm down to 5-6 a day, and would like to end it, but the more I think of ending it, the more I want it. So far no increase in food consumption. I think that telling yourself that you'll eat more, makes you eat more. The power of suggestion and self programming is very powerful.

More mice studies, those dicks (the people studying them):

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/86425.php

A study by a team from the universities of New South Wales and Melbourne has found a few cigarettes a day may result in the body storing too much fat, not less.

The research, published in the American Journal of Physiology, exposed mice to cigarette smoke and were fed either a low fat diet or a feast.

The results show smoking mice might have eaten less but they did not lose weight.

Professor of pharmacology at the University of New South Wales Margaret Morris says if it is true, humans who smoke are probably losing muscle and other precious organs, not fat.

Vegans shouldn't smoke because american spirits are the only vegan cigarettes and they are awful. Vegans also shouldn't smoke because being able to smell means knowing if something contains an animal product.

Not to mention this is a bodybuilding site, and people who clog their capillaries are less likely to see any muscle gains.

I was attuned to reiki in 2000 and felt almost forced into quitting smoking. I don't know if it's that easy for anyone, but to me quitting and not doing it anymore is like not being tobacco's bitch "all of a sudden".

I only smoke American Spirits, and I gotta tell you: they taste great! They are the only smokes that don't give me a headache and tight chest. But I smoke very little these days. People know they "shouldn't" smoke and "should eat better" and all the "shoulding", but food policing and other kind of policing has never worked. Doesn't work for religion, politics, or AR. I'm an animal rights person and my joke is, "Don't kill the animals, please wait a moment while I grab a cancer stick".

Still, I'm chewing straws now and I'm getting a hypnosis tape soon!

It sucks though, smoking does screw up the amount of stamina to handle weight lifting and cardio. Plus, with that research on how it inhibits fat loss, that made me even more determined. Plus it causes wrinkles and messes up the skin. I lucked out being half Asian with a good bit of melanin, so I don't have many wrinkles, but still...

Still, I'm chewing straws now and I'm getting a hypnosis tape soon!

If it is worth quitting smoking, you may want to see a professional hypnotist. They can be much more effective and quicker than a cd. They can get to know you, your responses and adjust the session to you for a stronger effect.

A hypnosis session may cost about $200 and often for smoking that will be the total price if a second or third session is needed. You can get your session taped and use it on your own afterward. Cheap compared to the cost anti-smoking drugs or cigarettes.

Hypnotists are like beauticians, the quality varies a lot. Unfortunately there is no standards body. Your best bet is to get one with a psychological background or medical background if you can.

Plus it causes wrinkles and messes up the skin. I lucked out being half Asian with a good bit of melanin, so I don't have many wrinkles, but still...

The women I used to see smoking and sun tanning in college now look old while women the same age who avoided those things still look great. Either habit, but especially smoking will eventually destroy a woman's complexion.

Trying the cheap route first, the CD or mp3 file on the other stuff I want to manifest or whatever, has been pretty good, so I'll try the stop smoking one. Right now, though, since I'm down to 5-6 a day, it's going so well with my own mental gymnastics. Next week it's 4-5 a day, and so forth. Or that's the plan anyway. Yeah, I stayed out of the sun all my life - interesting for a Florida resident - I really don't like baking and turning into leather.

It sucks though, smoking does screw up the amount of stamina to handle weight lifting and cardio. Plus, with that research on how it inhibits fat loss, that made me even more determined. Plus it causes wrinkles and messes up the skin. I lucked out being half Asian with a good bit of melanin, so I don't have many wrinkles, but still...

OK ok, so it messes with your energy and screws up fat loss and prematurely ages you and possibly kills you, but have we all forgotten that smoking makes you look cool? And it gets you additional breaks at work. Sounds like a toss-up to me.

All you need is will power.

Just stop smoking tomorrow & never put another cigarette in your mouth no matter how much you want it.

Be a champion.Beat it without any help.Prove to yourself that you are greater than any addiction.

You will feel like a star when you succeed

• 4 weeks later...
All you need is will power.

Just stop smoking tomorrow & never put another cigarette in your mouth no matter how much you want it.

Be a champion.Beat it without any help.Prove to yourself that you are greater than any addiction.

You will feel like a star when you succeed

That's how I done it and that's how it should be done. No nicotine patches, no "velvet beans", what ever that is - I laughed when I saw those words.

OK ok, so it messes with your energy and screws up fat loss and prematurely ages you and possibly kills you, but have we all forgotten that smoking makes you look cool? And it gets you additional breaks at work. Sounds like a toss-up to me.

indeed, it makes you look very cool. imo thats why people start in the first place. i guess thats probably why i started. then the addiction takes hold, and you find yourself justifying it in other ways.

a fun game to play is to ask people why they smoke.

my advice to anyone who trys to quit and fails is to take a close look at the circumstances. if you really think about what smoking is, you wont want to smoke anymore. worked for me, but not overnight. it took me awhile to be honest with myself about it.

I'm happy to hear many of you are cutting down on cigarettes and others have quit entirely. Keep up the good work! I know someone who had good outcomes after accupuncture but stress got the best of them in the long run. So relax, enjoy yourself, eat well and train hard.