Confused about Macronutrient Ratios??

I have been reading a lot about fat loss nutrition lately and now I am more confused than when I started! There seems to be a lot of conlficting information out there, and everyone has their own opinoin. Neverthelss, I would like everyone's input and opinoins on what is the best macronutrient ratio for a fat loss diet. I just am really confused right now becuase some people recommend a ratio of 80/10/10, others promote 40/40/20, and still others adhere to other ratios. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!

Seems that nobody likes to hear this advice: see what works for you. Just start out doing one thing, and see where that gets you. Did you lose weight on the 80/10/10? Were you able to even keep to it? Did you get so fatigued on it, that you couldn't even work out? Did it work great for the first couple of weeks, and then you plateaued? If you get good results with your body type with the 80/10/10 then that is great. Or try the 40/40/20. Were you able to lose weight with that much carbs? Does your body burn carbs efficiently and does the protein content agree with your muscle mass maintenance? All these questions can only be answered by you trying the diets out yourself. Do you even know what you are doing right now in the ratios of your diet right now? Maybe you are on the 40/40/20 right now.

Right now I am kind of new to understanding the role of macronutrient ratios in the diet. I have experimented with a variety of ratios- in the end, if I just want to lose weight I know it boils down to calories (and lower fat works well for me, but not nofat). But as far as trying to lose bodyfat and gain muscle, thaat is where I am not sure yet. I have never really tried to gain muscle, but I now realize the importance of it to lower bodyfat percentage.

I agree, that it kind of depends on the person. But, I would still like to hear from others and what has worked for them. Also, I love science, so facts thrill my world too!

Thanks!

I agree with Gaia. Simply put - there is no one perfect macronutrient ratio for everyone. It depends on your goals, genetics, activity levels, LBM, etc. Also, one thing to keep in mind is that setting up your diet based on percentages isn't a very good idea. You can read here and here why is that so.

Personally, I found that consuming plenty of protein (about 3g/kg) and veggies, some fruits, nuts and seeds works best for me.