Vitamin D not flu shots.

DV

That third video link is the best, IMO. I'm no fan of Dr. Mercola and I believe there are many vaccines that account for a decrease (and complete obliteration in the case of smallpox) in death and illness. However, I don't get a yearly flu shot. On a side note, I've gotten a respiratory infection twice in the past 4 months - after not getting sick for over 5 years - and my recent vit D level was 12!!!! I don't know what my levels were before but this might explain my weakened immune system.

As I mentioned in another thread, my husband and I both have been taking 1,400 units of vit D2 for over a year, only 400 units prior to that, and we both had extremely low vit D levels (this was the 25-hydroxy D level which is what you should test). If you don't test your level then you don't know if you're deficient. Some studies show that D2 is only 1/3 as effective as D3 and some studies show that they are equivalent. Decide for yourself whether or not you want to risk it. D3 is not vegan as it's sourced from lanolin (wool). You can find some D3 in veggie caps instead of gelatin. I have found no vegan vit D supplements larger than 1,000 units. If you are advised to treat a low vit D level with a prescription for a high-dose vit D supplement then it will most likely be D3.

(Before anyone gets vegangelical about vit D3 in a veggie cap, examine the various products in your home for wool or lanolin. Vegan alternatives exist for many products but they may not be effective for everyone.)

Great vid ..... I have been going to the sun tan place for about 10 years now, generally 2x's per week. Have never had a flu shot nor the flu (knocks on wood) in that time. Connection? Don't know, but very interesting all the same. I'd be interested in doing a bit of research in regards to the connection of supplementation.

(Before anyone gets vegangelical about vit D3 in a veggie cap, examine the various products in your home for wool or lanolin. Vegan alternatives exist for many products but they may not be effective for everyone.)

3000IU of D3/day here. You can start flaming me now...

The last doctor talks about how we should believe in Gods advice instead of the government. I don't which is better...

Edited by offense74

Great vid ..... I have been going to the sun tan place for about 10 years now, generally 2x's per week. Have never had a flu shot nor the flu (knocks on wood) in that time. Connection? Don't know, but very interesting all the same. I'd be interested in doing a bit of research in regards to the connection of supplementation.

Tanning beds doesn't increase vitamin D in the body since it's the other type of UV that does the actual tanning. You plobably have just been too stressed out to notice any symptoms .

Sure. If you get enough sun exposure and/or respond to vit D2 supplementation. Some people are able to maintain adequate levels with vit D2 (my husband and I are not those people, unfortunately).

Sure. If you get enough sun exposure and/or respond to vit D2 supplementation. Some people are able to maintain adequate levels with vit D2 (my husband and I are not those people, unfortunately).

I guess I'll just have to get tested to know where I stand at. I haven't been taking ANY supplements (not even B12) for years, so I reckon I might be pretty low on things like vit D, calcium, potassium and selenium. I'm grateful to you guys for scaring the shit out of me with those vit D, calcium, etc. threads.

I guess I'll just have to get tested to know where I stand at. I haven't been taking ANY supplements (not even B12) for years, so I reckon I might be pretty low on things like vit D, calcium, potassium and selenium. I'm grateful to you guys for scaring the shit out of me with those vit D, calcium, etc. threads.

If you take nothing else, take the b-12 and eat 1 measly tablespoon of cheap ground flax seeds a day.

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro

For the last few months, I was feeling sluggish, had to lie down a couple of times a day, found it difficult to work evenings and to exercise for long periods. Under Michael Klaper, MD's guidance, I was taking protein powder, creatine, testosterone, nystatin, etc., all to no avail. I was taking nutritional yeast every day, so I knew it wasn't B12 deficiency. Then, one day, I came across your B12 article [Vitamin B12: Are you Getting It?] by sheer accident. I wasn't going to read the whole thing, but I glanced through it and was struck by your insistence that none of the usual sources are adequate. I still didn't believe it, but I had some old B12 pills in the fridge, so I popped one. The effect was almost immediate and remarkable. I have been taking them almost every day, my stamina and energy level are up, and I feel middle-aged again instead of a tired old man.

- Alex Hershaft, PhD, President of farmusa.org

I used tanning salons in my youth. I got more exposure that way than from natural sunlight some years. I now have a 3 inch scar on my face and a reconstructed left nares from a basal cell carcinoma (and I rarely, if ever, got a sunburn on my face). So I'm no fan of tanning salons.

If you're looking for information on the dangers of tanning salons you will find a lot of biased information. The tanning industry describes UVB rays as dangerous and claims that modern tanning equipment emits little UVB and mostly UVA rays. However, it's UVB rays that react with a compound (7-dehydrocholesterol) in the skin to form vitamin D. Confusing isn't it?

It is more common in the Pacific NW than some of the southern states. My primary care physician here was the first to warn me that this might happen when I moved to Oregon 2 years ago.

Oral supplementation forms of vit D are metabolized by the liver and kidney into substrates that are used by the human body. I've linked to a short article here that explains it in a bit more detail.

I've been watching nutritional science develop in my short lifetime (okay, maybe long to some of you) and am amazed at how interconnected so many nutritional substances are when it comes to optimal heath - but frustrated at the difficulty in studying more than one substance at a time. We're bombard with messages to "take more vit C, now vit E, get lots of calcium, woops but you have to take it with magnesium, now it has to be with vit D, get out of the sun, get into the sun, etc, etc." The person who is not looking for the easy answer and understands that our collective knowledge is still growing will incorporate these new bits of information for what optimal health is attainable at this time. Sadly, others won't have that capacity and will follow a set of static nutritional rules even as their own bodies and environment change.

We are the best advocates for our own health and if we rely on others to look out for us (especially others who may be mistaken), then we are taking our greatest responsibility and putting it in the hands of someone else. I understand this when it comes to a broken leg or infected appendix but am very saddened by the number of adults who do this with their nutritional health. (sorry for the mini-rant)

I've been watching nutritional science develop in my short lifetime (okay, maybe long to some of you) and am amazed at how interconnected so many nutritional substances are when it comes to optimal heath - but frustrated at the difficulty in studying more than one substance at a time. We're bombard with messages to "take more vit C, now vit E, get lots of calcium, woops but you have to take it with magnesium, now it has to be with vit D, get out of the sun, get into the sun, etc, etc." The person who is not looking for the easy answer and understands that our collective knowledge is still growing will incorporate these new bits of information for what optimal health is attainable at this time. Sadly, others won't have that capacity and will follow a set of static nutritional rules even as their own bodies and environment change.

I've seen those things too. I've also seen recurring discoveries that supplements of nutrients don't cut it like getting the nutrients from food. Which, solves the integration problem.

The way to go seems to be to develop a love of vegetables, a love of vegetables beyond the nutritionally weak common salad ingredients and not being dogmatic.

I feel compelled to emphasize the point about not being dogmatic after writing the other things. The vegan diet and internet crowd tend to have a touch of orthorexia. Sometimes a supplement is needed, a food choice isn't an option and the pill will solve the problem.....sometimes. Stay away from those foolish consistencies that are the hobgoblins of little minds.