What's in Your Grocery Cart?

Hi all,

Hope you all had a great New Year's Eve.

I've been at this for about a month, and coming up this week I'm making my first big trip to the grocery store to re-stock my fridge and pantry with essentials. I've got a Whole Foods, a Trader Joe's, and a big Super Stop & Shop (with a pretty good organic section that has some useful stuff) all within easy driving distance.

What does your shopping cart look like after a trip to the supermarket? What should I be dead-set, positively sure to grab?

I've read some of the stickies in this forum, regarding meals and such, but I was just wondering what an average shopping trip looks like.

Thanks.

Every one of my shopping trips have spinach in the mix.

My staples are:

spinach

kale

mustard greens or collard greens

oranges

celery

onions

green peppers

bananas

sea veggies

sprouts (alfalfa or broccoli)

Lite Tofu

Hummus

coffee

tea (green and various herbal)

Varies:

what ever is on sale on fruits and veggies .... you can easily stock up here.

Other Fats:

avocado

nut butter

olives (kept in water and sea salt, no added preservatives)

olive oil

Nuts & Seeds:

sunflower

flax (grind before using)

walnuts

almonds (soak before using)

coconut oil

Powders:

Sun Warrior protein

Sun Warrior barley powder

Other:

various spices including garlic (whole) and sea salt

salsa - no added preservatives (unless I have time to make my own)

multi

vit C

B12

Iron

Creatine

Spirulina

BCAA's

Occasionally:

Beans

Faux Meats

Juice

kale

mustard greens or collard greens

How do you (or anyone) generally cook these? I want to work more into my diet, but all the recipes I've found use horribly pork products or are quite time consuming.

raw, or in shakes... dehydrated, steamed, stir fried. Basically any dish you have throw a handful in it. Really simple one is stir fried in olive oil with garlic and sea salt to taste. Most people prefer them without the stem. Also, wrap anything in raw kale, fruit, re fried beans, beans, brown rice, etc. Very tasty I grew up mostly in the south where it's a staple to every meal, so I have my vegan recipes I just throw in a handful and boost the nutrition content of every meal... packed with nutrition, not calories so a win win

Oh also, use them in place of lettuce in salads, toppings etc. The first few times the texture takes some getting used to, but after you won't want to go back to lettuce.

For many of my greens, especially the bitter ones, I put them in a big pot of boiling water for about 30-60 seconds. Then I chop them up and add them to carmelized shallots (a lot of them). Seems to take the bitterness out and the shallots get fairly sweet when carmelized. (I slice the shallots in thin rings and saute them in a little olive oil for about 20 minutes over a LOW flame until they're golden)

I made the trip to Whole Foods last night and ended up with:

Vegetable broth

Hemp milk

Rice milk

Coconut milk

Sesame Ezekiel bread

Amaranth

Quinoa

Pre-cooked polenta

Rice noodles

Couscous

Tofu burgers

Soy Swiss cheese

Soybean sprouts

Baby portobello mushrooms

Avocados, radishes, zucchini, red onions

Grapes, oranges, pears, apples

Later this week, I'll be making a trip to Costco for spinach, bell peppers, beans (black, red kidney, and garbanzo), and other smaller stuff.

For many of my greens, especially the bitter ones, I put them in a big pot of boiling water for about 30-60 seconds. Then I chop them up and add them to carmelized shallots (a lot of them). Seems to take the bitterness out and the shallots get fairly sweet when carmelized. (I slice the shallots in thin rings and saute them in a little olive oil for about 20 minutes over a LOW flame until they're golden)

I tried this with collards the other day and it worked great. The boiling pulled the bitterness right out. I think I might even boil them less next time. Next up is kale, and I grabbed some shallots to go with it.

Thanks!

I tried this with collards the other day and it worked great. The boiling pulled the bitterness right out. I think I might even boil them less next time. Next up is kale, and I grabbed some shallots to go with it.

Thanks!

Think this would work for Dandelion greens as well?? I bought some once and could barely eat it...they were sooo bitter

Here's some of what I bought a couple of days ago:

Apples

Oranges

Bananas

Grapes

Collard greens

Broccoli

Kale

Tomatoes

Avocados

Brazil nuts

Walnuts