MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha thanks!

Had another 3 mile race today. Heel was really sore and it was pouring so I wasn't expecting much out of my race today but I ran a season best of 23:53 today. whoo hoo! I got a 2nd in age group trophy too!! fun stuff!!!

Maybe you were in a hurry to get out of the rain, haha! Nice job!

thanks lobster. the early part of the season has been good. The races are short and fast! later in the season is the distance events.

@ adena - that thought crossed my mind 2! although it was most likely due to the fact that this was the flattest course Ive run yet. and secondly it was a little warmer even though it was raining. I've had really cold racing temps so far this year.

Rest day today. Feet are really sore so im icing them down as much as I can. Bought my road bike! I got a 2009 Specialized Dolce! she's so pretty and feels great!

congrats on your bike! what made you get the dolce? was it the reach and the levers and stuff or the ride? how do you like that stock saddle? did it come with a triple on front? I like how Specialized is relatively more supportive of womens cycling but it pisses the hell out of me that they would call a women's model Dolce. wtf they don't call their male models some diminutive bullshit too. anyways, may you ride it in good health, and drop the competition!

I fell in love with the dolce pretty fast viva! For multiple reasons, it just felt the best to me, I was most comfortable on it. The ride is smoother to me than the other bikes in the price range and as a new rider to competition I did appreciate the setup meaning the extra oh shit brakes! and the being able to see what gear your in and how many gears you have left. I picked the dolce over the dolce sport because it was a 2009 compared to the 2010 sport so i got it slightly cheaper. Om the stock saddle is a specialized gel seat. Seemed fine so far to me but I haven't done any long rides yet obviously. Yes it is a triple. I didn't mind them calling it dolce cuz it is a SWEET bike. (I also tried Orbea, Trek, Redline) I'm going to head out on it tonight hopefully! I special ordered a pair of specialized tri sneaks so once them come in I'll get clip pedals installed on it.

@lobster - it is on the shimano sora shifters/brakes. It just a little red line that moves each time you shift. one for the front and one for the back so you know exactly where you at gear wise. I think it is nice. There is possibly other shirt parts that do that. I don't really know.

http://cfmarystella.blogspot.com/ - Started to interact with different Tri athletes my coach trains. PLease feel free to follow me on there also.

"fran" - 21 - 15 - 9

60 lb Thrusters - Strict Pullups with a small blue band

Time - 8:36

Pose Running & drills week 4

15 minute ride on my new dolce! Feels much different to me than riding around on my mountain bike. The bike is much faster and seems much easier to dump to me so far. Had a fun time just need to get used to riding.

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Tempeh Bacon

Tofy, Brown Rice, Broccoli, Carrots, Mushrooms, Onions

Banana

Cocoa Almonds

Hemp Shake w/coconut water

Tofu Scramble w/peppers & onions

Sprouted Grain Bagel w/earht balance

Peanuts

@ aluck - I don't watch calories so I have no idea on that end. I don't track protein specifically either but I wasily do 80 - 100 grams sometimes as much as 120.

Back Squats

45 x 10

95 x 5

135 x 3

145 x 3

145 x 3

155 x 3

165 x 2 - unhappy with the depth - hitting parallel but not below so i started over

135 x 3

135 x 3

95 x 3

105 x 3

115 x 3

125 x 4

135 x 3

Bike workout - Ride 30 minutes then 5 x 1 minute on 1 minute off

Tempeh Bacon

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Cocoa Almonds

Tofu Scramble w/onions and Peppers

Banana

Grit Tofu

Stir Fry Zucchini

your welcome.

legs sore from squats and biking but the training must continue.

Started with Pose Drills and running. still on week 4 of the six week programs. had a hard time maintaining the first & second - 1:30 @ 100 cadence but 3 and 4 were better. the good think about 100 cadence is it makes 94 cadence seem much easier.

Deadlifts later. should be interesting!

deadlifts

135 x 3

185 x 3

195 x 3

205 x 3

215 x 3

220 - fail twice

I screwed up the weights on my lifts. planned on increasing by 5's from 195 + but didn't add the weights on correctly and ended up with too much weight too fast. I was disappointed because I've lifted 230 off the ground twice and today I failed at 220.

Hemp Protein Powder w/ Hemp Milk

Tempeh Bacon

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Tofu, Brown Rice, Peas& squash

Cocoa covered almonds

Grit Tofu, Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots

thanks lobster!

Only got 5 hours of sleep last night and today was my first day back swimming. It's been a long long time since I did laps. good news I was keeping my face in the water and not having any serious problems swimming. The bad news I was stopping for a short break after every 100 meters. Not because I was exhausted mostly for a breather. I spent about 40 minutes in the pool. Didn't keep track of the amount of laps but I should have. I wanted to keep breathing on the right side. Need to learn to do on both sides. I was able to breathe on the left but I would get offline swimming. Why is it so easy to roll on your right side and so hard to roll on your left side? Probably trained it on the right when I was young and its a learned habit. Swimming in a big weakness right now so I see many laps in my future. I was feeling my surgical shoulder towards the end of the swim. It was really pain more like tightness or fatigue.

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Tempeh Bacon

Cocoa Almonds

Tofu Brown Rice Broccoli Carrots Mushrooms Onions

Hemp shake w/ half water/half coconut water

Banana

Hummus w/steam broccoli

Sunflower Seed Burger

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter

Bought a clif shot energy gel and luna moons to take out on the tough mudder race course with me. First time I will be trying to fuel during a race.

Yay swimming!

In the fall I could barely do 25m without stopping for a breather and yesterday I did 1500m. You're way more hardcore than me so it will take you NO time to build up endurance - just wait and see!

I used to have problems with my left side too - it's tricky!

Let me know what you think about the clif shot and luna moon...I'm a little leery of gels, they sound gross, so I haven't tried any of them yet.

Thanks Lobster. I was surprised I was having such a hard time swimming because I used to swim even passed a lifeguarding test back in the day. But there lies the problem. I have not done it for awhile. My tri swim is 1.5Km mass start lake swim so I want to make sure I can get up to the distance easily because it is going to be much harder with people swimming around me splashing and kicking water at me.

Glad to hear about the left side to me the right side just feel natural the left feels forces. I assumed it because I learned to swim doing it on the right and never trained it on the left.

I am skeptical about the gels too. I would much prefer to make my own from the thrive diet recipes but the course that I am running has us running through mud, swimming through mucky water, climbing through snow, jumping into water, scaling ropes over water so the gels are in nice packages that are waterproof. I don't have anything conviently sized that would be water proof for my own fuel. I don't want to have my fuel source ruined and be out of luck. so I am going to give these a shot and see how they go. I got the shots without caffiene because I don't think I will need it.

Gels. The other day I was testing something. I did a couple of big kick hills and then took a gel and then hit traffic on a sketchy main street. I could feel myself getting amazingly sharper, more focused, and more efficient in traffic. It had to do with the electrolytes.

I've tried making my own with a rice syrup base, and it's ok but for me, it's not as good as hammer gel. cliff doesnt last as long for me and i swear it makes my lungs hurt. It's different for everyone. Cliff blocks are awesome but harder for me to manage on the move than slurping some gel out of a flask or tearing open a packet and squirting. Those packets are super easy to open with your teeth. I cant stand eating fruit or bread on the road but once in a while i can handle a larabar... no electrolytes in those though. I think the best advice is to experiment a lot but dont experiment during a race.

It would be cool to start a thread about on the road nutrition and recipes as you experiment!

Great day today! Got to sleep in a little which is huge since I haven't been able to do that for at least 6 weeks or so. First success of the day - loaded the bike rack and bike onto my car without it taking too long!! Headed to Crossfit and started with my pose drills and running technique practice. I felt so much better maintaining pose form while running today. most likely because I wasn't as fatigued as the other day.

Then 3 rounds of:

100 ft Walking Lunges

30 ABmat situps

Time - 5:28

My cycling shoes came in today so I went to try them on. They fit so I got the pedals switched to clips on my bike. Went to a school complex near my house so i could avoid traffic and rode around this afternoon just practicing clipping in and out of my bike while riding. So far I didn't fall although i am sure it is coming. I actually really like riding with the clipped pedals & shoes. It just feels better to me.

Gotta hydrate and carb up today for tomorrow's tough mudder race. I am happy to hear it is going to be warm. I think that will make this a more enjoyable experience.

Banana

VEGA WFO w/coconut

Cocoa Almonds

Sprouted Grain Bagel w/Chocolate Peanut Butter

Hummus & steamed Broccoli

Ginger Coconut water drink ( Lemon, agave, salt, Ginger, coconut water)

Soba Noodles with carrots & red peppers - Chili Oil sauce

@lobster - it is going to be a really interesting time tomorrow. I am taking it as a fun experience instead of a serious race. too many variables to try to really race through the course.

@viva - I just for a couple of pamphlets from hammer about athlete nutrition. I will look through them later. Im just getting started with this stuff so i don't know what works for me or doesnt yet.

Yesterday (sunday 5.2.10) I completed the Tough Mudder which is a 7 mile mud run with 17 obstacles. It was more of a course to be completed than really a race. It took an hour and 35 minutes for my group to complete it. www.toughmudder.com. All of the mud and trail running caused the bursitus in my heel to bother me last night. I am treating it with ice as much as I can. I was able to use this race to work on my nutrition a bit. The hydrating and carbing up went well. I was glad I did it as it was pretty hot and humid. The water obstacles were welcomed as a cool down from the heat. hit luna moons right before starting the race. there were so many people our start time was delayed by an hour so I was hungry before the race. Then about an hour or so in i used my clif shot. Didn't have any problems from either.

smoothie - banana, mango, flax, agave, efa oil

Sprouted Grain Bagel w/dark chocolate peanut butter

Luna moons

Clif Shot

Banana

Oat Bar

Vegan Pizza

Tempeh bacon

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes of

10 American Kettlebells swings with 1 pood

5 burpees

10 rounds completed and 6 swings into the 11 rounds.

40 minute bike ride - first time out on the roads with the clips. Did well no major incidents! I am getting better with the bike stuff. Taking me less time to get rolling.

tempeh bacon

vega wfo w.coconut water

tofu, brown rice, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms

cocoa almonds

grit tofu

soba noodes w/red pepper and carrots