MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

@lobster - i heard the bike 2 run transition is more important to train because of the brick factor.

@rob - a brick is a bike to run workout where you feet feel like bricks because your legs are so worn out from the bike. You should try it. Its fun!

oust the overhead squat!

5 rounds for time of

5 push press @ 45 lbs

15 Overhead Squats @ 35 lbs

Row 500 meters

time 19:25

Went too light on the push press I thought about going heavier but I was concerned about wearing my shoulder out before the hated overhead squats especially with 5 rounds. Might have gone too light on the overheads too but I wanted to be in really good control of these as they are a hard position for me to get into since my shoulder surgery. I didn't have to break any of the sets. But they were really tough on my shoulder and I am curious to see how it is going to feel tomorrow. Just having to do these made me think of how I came to the decision to start doing triathlons. I've always been incredibly impressed by triathletes and always wondered if i could do it. After having two surgicial procedures in a few months, i retired from kickboxing, and was limited in what crossfit workouts I could do. So I started doing crossfit endurance workouts and I decided I wanted think about the things I accomplish this year instead of the injuries and surgeries and downtime and what I couldn't do but rather what I can do. Even though I hate the overhead squats I know it is exactly what I need to be doing.

vega wfo w/coconut water

tempeh bacon

grit tofu

vega vibrancy bar

banana mango blueberry vega protein smoothie w/ chocolate soymilk

baba ganoush w/baked potato and steamed broccoli

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't always use the same brand. I normally use ONE or VITA COCO as that is what my grocery store carries but I have had other brands. I think it is great to replace electrolyte lose during exercise.

Run 6 miles - Feet were sore, legs were tight and that was before I even started to workout. Got through this workout but didn't feel like I had much to be able to push the pace. I'm icing and I ordered Kinesio tape online today to hopefully help my feet out a bit.

Time 101

100 burpees for time - 9:02 - my legs were hurting from like the second rep on!

vega wfo w/coconut water

tempeh bacon

grit tofu

banana

vega vibrnacy bar

Thanks about the coconut water. Hope your foot heals quickly. It sucks running in pain, as I;m sure you know. Does the kinesio tape help? I've had Jones fractures a couple times and sometimes it acts up and thought maybe taping would help. Thanks again Mary!

100 yds warmup

100 yds 6 beat switch

100 yds catch up

100 yds finger tip drag

100 yds warmup

20 x 25 yds with mid pool start on 10 seconds rest- I think I may have done a few extra because when I lost count I went with the lower number as I didn't want to cheat myself! 10 seconds rest is just long enough to curse a few times then go again. I forgot my swimmers watch and the lap clock wasn't working so I don't have any times and I just had to count the 10 seconds in my head so not very accurate. About 15 in I thought I was going to puke so I think the effort was there. I also liked passing the other faster swimmers in the pool for once that felt great. Of course they were swimming a lot farther but it still was fun. Running a 4 mile road race tomorrow morning. Hoping my feet start feeling better, they are still tight and sore today.

ran a 4 mile road race today. Never did this event before so wasn't familiar with the course. Ran it in 34:57, I was a little disappointed and I thought my time would have been a little lower but I felt like I was working on the course. I didn't go in with any rest so I know that is a factor but I always want to be faster. My feet were hurting when I got up today. I tried to stretch them and get ready for the race. Got lost going to the race wasn't sure exactly where it was so I ended up getting there checking in, running back to the car with my stuff and going to the starting line. Did a sprint off the line and called it a warmup as it was time for the race director to talk and start us. Nice course, will do the race again. I have run the last two races and workouts without my ipod since I can't have it for the du or tri but I really miss it. I run so much better rocking out to the red hot chili peppers then listening to people breathe and smack their feet against the ground. I know i should get used to not using it but I am so tempted to just use it whenever I can and just deal with it when I cant. ate a recovery meal, iced down my feet. They are still sore and I will have to do this again later for sure. I got my sport bikini today and I really like it. I also got a pair of 2xu tri shorts I like. I am going to use them to ride my bike in a bit. I am going to send back my cw-x tri top and tri shorts as I think they are too tight and I would be more comfortable in a better fitting size.

45 minute bike ride, well 53 actually

this wasn't my best ride for sure. I felt like I spent way too much of the ride trying not to get hit by cars. I don't really like riding this time of the day but that is how my schedule worked out today so I dealt with it. 12.58 miles covered. It was also really windy and blowing my bike around which didn't help much either. I felt like I was never able to really settle myself on the bike and just ride. My 2xu tri shorts worked out well. Feet are still sore going to hit the ice again in a bit.

1st open water swim

Did my first open water swim in the lake I will be swimming the WB tri in. Had some help getting my wetsuit on which made it quick and easier. Swam over a mile. I noticed my surgical shoulder was a little achy in the water and on the car ride home. Not sure if this is because of the wetsuit. I noticed I was not getting my right elbow high coming out of the water (surgical side) when compared to my left elbow. The person i was swimming with confirmed that for me as well. My biggest issue when swimming today was trying to site. I was trying to follow my friend and thought I was swimming in a straight line right behind him but I would always end up of course. I'd recollect and start swimming at him again. I even lead a couple of times and still did the same thing. I definitely need to work on that and will try to lake swim as much as I can just to work on it. He even said to me well you would be fast if we could keep you swimming in a straight line. This lake is pretty murky so that doesn't help. My biggest issue when siteing is I feel like I need to pop my head up like a seal to really see where i am going. Of course everytime I do this it drops my butt down and costs me time. Im really glad I got this swim in. I didn't feel up to running my feet were still sore when I got up today. I've got them in the jay swift torture treatment right now, which is really just an ice bath but it sounds more accurate my way. I really love my new sports bikini, so glad I got it.

Backsquats

5 x 95

5 x 105

5 x 115

5 x 125

5 x 135 reps 4 depth felt restricted rep 5 depth was questionable but i was by myself so no one to spot or watch.

commuted to and from the gym on my bike. kinda funny how the 3 mile ride took longer after the back squats.

sprouted grain bagel

vega wfo

Grit Tofu

Pizza w.roasted red peppers, artichokes and mushrooms

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter

Red Beans & Brown Rice

Run/Lunge Wod & Erin

Really tired when I got up today just been busy and not getting enough sleep. Need to correct that this week. I dragged myself out to do a six mile run with 50 walking lunges after each mile. 6.13 total time of 1:06. Feet/legs were tight and sore before I started and even worse aftewards. I got them kinesio taped and they felt better. My roll of kinesio tape came in the mail today and I am going to learn how to use it soon as i have a hard time actually keeping this from peeling off my feet/legs. Also feel like my diet has suffered a bit the last couple of days. Just feeling nauseated a bit and haven't been eating as much as normal. Then "Erin" 5 rounds of 15 split cleans with 15 lbs dumbbells and 21 pullups. I definately could have gone heavier on the cleans. I started off with 20s but felt like they were going to slow me down so I went lighter. I wanted to make sure I had good control over the weights and one of the dumbbells didn't get instabile and pull my shoulder behind me. I also used a blue band for the pullups since there were so many of them. My grip was actually what was killing me as the wod went on and for awhile afterwards. erin took me 17:30 I did all of my commuting by bike again today. Took my road bike in to get it adjusted. Rode my mountain bike a bit and it feels funny i have gotten so accustomed to my road bike.

Banana

vega wfo w.coconut water

red beans & brown rice

vega vibrancy bar

spouted grain bagel w. earth balance

thai salad

thai tofu, veggies & brown rice

got ready to swim this morning and my swimming watch broke. I saw a hairline crack on the face so water must have gotten into it. I did my usual warmup of 100, 100 6 beat switch, 100 catch up, 100 finger tip, 100. Then I was supposed to do a 9 minute time trial. I used the watch on the wall and it ended up being a 15 minute time trial. I ordered the Timex Ironman Sleek 150 lap tap screen watch. The tap screen is supposed to work in the water where I think it would be really useful instead of trying to hit the buttons on it. I also for my rode bike back, it feels fantastic again. I gave them my mountain bike to work on now. I did Crossfit total today and i was feeling the last couple days of workouts. legs are wasted from the back squats and lunges, lats are sore from 105 pullups yesterday but I did what I could. no PRs everything was lower. So I need to focus on recovering tonight. I have to get to bed early. I haven't in over a week.

Shoulder Press 80 failed at 85 1 attempt

Backsquat 175, moved 185 but didn't get deep enough. Ive moved 185/190 before.

Deadlift 205 fail 215 - 2 attempts i;ve had 230 before so i was well off the mark on this.

vega wfo w/coconut water

dark chocolate peanut butter

tofu, brown rice, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms

vega vibrnacy bar

vega performance protein w/ apple

sprouted grain bagel

tempeh scallopini w/mushrooms

sauteed spinach

Im feeling better today. Got an extra swim in this morning. Did my usual warmup and drills. Then hit 6 x 25 meters and I think this is the fastest I have gone yet. Can't wait 2 get my new watch and get back to timing. Then practiced drafting off a friend. I feel like i keep my head up too much to watch where he was. Second workout was a 12 minute AMRAP of 10 Kettlebells Swings at 35lbs and 20 pushups. Got 6 full rounds done and 13 pushups in the 7th round. I should have gone heavier with the kettlebell. I thought I didn't want to go too heavy for a metcon but the reps were low so heavier would have been better.

Sprouted Grain BAgel w. earth balance

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Tempeh BAcon

Tempeh Scallopini w/mushrooms

Banana

Chocolate Soymilk w/vega performance protein

Hummus w.steamed broccoli and carrots

6.10.10 - 1 mile hill run at Giants Despair.

http://www.pahillclimb.org/Courses/Giants.htm

Didn't do much of a warmup because how can you remember prep yourself for the giant! I ran it in 15 minutes. It is a pretty serious hill with over a .25 at 22 % grade. Happy to get it done. Now I want to get better at it! My heart rate spiked all the way to 229 today while doing this! I am surprised because I didn't even know it went that high! I walked back down not wanting to put any pounding into my sore feet. I had my kinesio tape on and now I am in an ice bath. They don't feel too bad at least not yet. I was pretty tired afterwards, it was a slower than usual commute to work on my bike. Then Tabata bike intervals for 16 rounds. had minimal traffic interruption. Will try to do this as earlier in the morning next time.

banana, mango, blueberry, orange, vega performance protein

tempeh bacon

vega wfo w.coconut water

salad

cumin lime tofu

hummus w.steamed broccoli

Registered for a sprint tri today and an open water 1 mile swim race both in august. I want to put my race schedule up on my blog but i don't know how.

@vegan joe - u crack me up!

Swim - warmup 100, 100 6 beat switch, 100 catchup, 100 fingertip drills

4 x 400 meters on 30 seconds rest

1 - 8:43

2 - 8:45

3 - 8:50

4 - 8:53

I think I could have done these a little harder I wasn't sure how to pace becuase I wanted to make sure I could go the distance but I didn't really have a problem with that so next time I will go a little harder.

bike commuting 11 miles

for time - 100 step ups onto an 18 inch box, 75 box jumps @24 inches, 50 walking lunges, 25 squats time: 12:51

I considered doing the steps onto the 24inches box but it is a little high for my height but I think I could have done it. Maybe next time.

vega performance protein w/coconut water, peach, blueberries

tempeh bacon

vega wfo w.coconut water

cumin lime tofu

roasted yellow and green beans

orange juice

ethopian lentils

coconut rice

You go girl!!! Wow!! How do you not get burned out.......heartrate up past 200?!?!I'm gonna be 34 next month and I had thought up until now that me getting mine up to 180bpm was pretty good. Where do you get the insane energy if you don't mind my asking. I've been training 6 days per week and have been fighting burn out. You always seem to be rearing and ready to go. So inspiring!

@barb - Honestly I am really surprised when I saw how high my heart rate was I didn't even know it went that high at my age! lol! Ive always had a lot of energy. I never feel burned out because I just love training. I mean I really love it. I look forward to it everyday. Sometimes I am tired from a workout but I just understand I am in a recovery phase and try not to let it affect me emotionally. I try to take it for what it is, an important part of training. Also my workouts are really varied so that helps because Im not doing the same movements all the time. Good luck with your training!

Got my tri top and tri shorts in the mail today I am going to test them out on my run bike run wod today. I am starting to believe that my feet are hurting from my lower legs just being so tight all the time! Must improve the flexibility. I also have to ice them as much as possible and kinesio tape when I can. I don't want them to be a limiting factor. I have been debating doing my first marathon this year. the steamtown marathon. It is very close to my house and from everyone I have every talked to about it a nice race. I know I can do a half marathon but can I do a full? Will the legs/feet hold up through that? I've been debating this in my own head all day.

3 mile run, 15 mile bike, 5 mile run

wore my new tri top and shorts for this work out. Oddly I got about 4 small cuts on my chest from the zipper. I love the shorts. Ok with the shirt, its not as good as a sports bra but has more storage. The first three miles went well enough I notice my lower legs were tight. I stretched them before I went out. I just can't seem to loosen them up enough anymore. Transition onto the bike went well. Rode most of the Duathlon course I will be racing next weekend. I felt good on the bike until the last couple of miles. Fatigue or something was coming over me then. I couldn't wait to get off the bike. I had a little of a homemade sports drinks I made up while changing my gear. I know I shouldn't have needed it but I thought It might help how I was feeling. No Transition issues. So then I was off to my run. Legs felt crappy for the start. Then I settled into just keeping going. The toes on my right foot felt like they pressing into the top of my sneaker and that was annoying me the whole way. Never had that happen before. time - 2:28. Doing an ice soak for my feet now as they are sore. Have Kinesio tape on them since last night. Overall not feeling too bad. Considering hitting the pool this afternoon as I just feel like swimming today even though it isn't on the program.

sports drink

banana

vega wfo w.coconut water

extra swim

Had the time to get any extra swim in today. Did 100 warmup, 100 6 beat switch 100catchup, 100 finger trip drag and then worked on breathing and rotation. Didn't swim very fast or long but did laps with 6 strokes per breathe, 5, and 4. Also worked on mt left side breathing it isn't as fluid as my right side.

Grit tofu, Brown rice, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms

thanks so much MaryStella. You made me consider that I am not allowing myself to fully recover sometimes, and then trying to push through it. I guess sometimes I need to realize I may need to do a less intense session.

I hope your foot doesn't keep hurting. I haven't had a chance to try the kinesio tape yet....no practitioners in my area that I have found so far. If I happen to find one, I'm planning on trying it out. I saw that it can be orderedonline but I am clueless on applying it.

Thanks again. Take care.

Usually athletic trainers or massage therapist can apply the tape for you but if you buy some there are video online of how to apply it for different injuries. While it is better to have someone else apply it for you you definitely can do it yourself. If your options are tape it yourself or don't get taped. I say tape it yourself.

Wilkes-Barre Duathlon Bike Course then 3 x 5:2

I slept 10 hours last night!! I haven't had the opportunity to do that in a long time so it felt nice. Legs were fatigued from yesterday's workouts before I even started this but I really want to get another ride in on the duathlon course before I race it next sunday. Did a 3 mile warmup then the 16 mile course. Not my effort as my legs were sore but happy I did it anyway. after the course I did 3 rounds of 5 minutes on 2 minutes off on my way back home. icing down my feet, they were not bad this morning but they would have hurt to run on. Trying to get them to the place where that isn't ever the case.

Carob Mint Sports Drink

Banana

Tofu, Brown Rice, Peas