MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

mary... what kind of rx did he give you? one of my doctors says that the only use for anti-inflamatories is to take down the inflammation so healing can happen... so massive doses for 10 days, then that's it. that turns into 20 days, 30 days, etc...accupuncture helps a lot. we need to talk more, girlfriend.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks lobster. I am feeling a little better about it today. I just think I was really frustrated yesterday.

@viva - its anaprox that i have to take 2 times a day but I left the bottle at home so I don't know the dosage. Ill look and post back.That is what he told me it is for too because basically it is so inflammed right now it can't heal. I heard acupuncture is helpful. May try it. Im gonna PM u my cell #.

Did my exercises and stretches from the doctor for equinus this morning. then warmed up with a 5 minute ride before hitting 30 minutes of 1 minute on 1 minute off on the trainer with my bike. It hurt from rep one. I am just not used to pushing a hard gear that long. Heart racing, sweat pouring good stuff.

It's a taper week so im not going towards max loads. Did backsquats working up to 80 percent of my 1 rep max. air squats x 40, 45x10, 95 x 5, 115 x 3, then one rep each at 125 130 135 140 145 150 155.

going to pickup a pair of new sneakers tonight to baby my foot in. think I am going to go back to brooks. I used them for years and I always liked them. Also want to grab a race belt so I don't have to be pinning numbers on. I hate that. Going to try to meet up with our fellow forum member Ed Mason for dinner as he is pretty close to where I live right now.

I borrowed one and now I am hooked on the race belt! thanks lobster. I am happy with my swim time. They have been improving. I thought I was faster than that on the bike. Normally I can avg 20mph if im cooking it. so 3 - 4 min miles and my mile times were much higher. I am not sure if it was becuase of the hills or becuase I was riding without my splint on with a hand injury or maybe just from the rain. my run time was horrible for me but I am pretty sure that is from the heel spurs. It just hurts so much to run lately I like just trot along. I still want to get through the rest of my races even if my run times are slow just for the experience and then hopefully once I heal up my running will improve.

got my pre-race massage this morning. I find out how really sore I am in places when I get worked on. I was tired today. Too many night of not enough sleep. I have to shut it down and get back on schedule starting tonight. Im sure the anti inflammatories are making me tired too. I try to avoid drugs as much as possible because they always make me feel so bad.

stretches and exercises for the heel.

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Standing Broad Jumps

Abmat Situps

Time

5 minute warmup on trainer then

9 minutes on, 3 minutes off, 6 minutes on, 2 minutes off, 3 minutes on. Really worked hard trying to train my legs to just keep pushing the hard gears.

stretches and exercises for the heel

tempeh bacon

vega wfo w/coconut water

peanut butter

teriyaki tofu, brown rice, veggies

guacamole with lime corn crackers

slice of vegan pizza

vega performance protein w.orange juice

my hand feels much better today. although my heel still hurts. actually both of my lower legs, feet hurt today.

shins sore from yesterdays box jumps. Good thing I wasn't running but rowing today. Did my stretching and exercises and then a 200 meter warmup row followed by 2 x 400 meters approx 80 percent RPE

1 - 1:50

2- 1:46

Did another set of stretching and exercises in the evening. Slept well last night and woke up with good energy but tired during the day again. I really hope it is the nsaids that are making so tired all day. I don't really feel bad I just feel like I could take a nap which is something i almost never feel like doing. doing as much icing as possible and the heel actually feels kinda decent today. Probably because I haven't run on it in a few days.

vega sport performance protein with oj

tempeh bacon

vega wfo w.coconut water and ground flax

guacamole with steamed broccoli and lime corn crackers

grit tofu

bell peppers stuff with mango salsa, Kidney Beans & brown Rice

Peanut Butter

went to bed at a reasonable time last night. Slept well. Good energy when I got up. Hit the pool 100 warmup and 300 of drills Then 8 x 100 on 4 minutes rest. My best swim times yet!

1 - 1.46 - first one always ends up being the worst - maybe I don't warmup hard enough?

2 - 1.38

3 - 1.36

4 - 1.38

5 - 1.39 - water in goggles

6 - 1.35

7 - 1.37

8 - 1.37

chocolate soymilk

grit tofu

sprouted grain bagel

vega wfo w/coconut water & ground flax

shins still sore but heel is pretty decent.

oops! been awhile since I updated. Saturday 8.21 - I did a 30 minute easy bike ride with 3 - 20 second pickups. Then the rest of the day just got taken up by things and then it was time to do the pre-race stuff. I need to get more efficient and spend less time the night before a race packing etc. I have another oly distance tri coming up this weekend so hopefully I will be more focused on the race this time around. I just did not feel well on either saturday or sunday and I think it played out in my race. Didn't eat well enough on saturday, didn't sleep well enough and just didn't have my usual excitement going into the race on sunday. It probably didn't help that it rained saturday night and the entire time on sunday. But that is an excuse it rained for everyone there, we all had to deal with the same conditions. Good news is I wasn't nervous for the race but I wasn't really excited for it either. Which is kinda sad because I was looking forward to it earlier in the week. But whatever another race this weekend that I AM excited for!!

WB TRI - Oly Distance - Race Report

Swim - 36.20 - Didn't feel good on the swim and not happy with the time. It was wave starts and mine was the last group to go before the relays. I have to mention I am not a big fan of this lake. It smells like fuel from all the boats on it, you can see in the water (probably dont want to) and the weeds are ridiculous. I thought I was going to look like a sea monster. They were sticking to my face, wrapping around my neck, hands, feet. Again, it was like this for everybody. I just need to get over it and not let it affect me. Got a warmup beating from the people in my wave. Then when the relay wave went off behind me the real beating began. Lots of contact on this race. Nothing seemed to go right for me on the swim. It was raining and foggy and I was having a hard time sighting. I was wearing dark metallic goggles which probably didn't help. Need to pick up a clear pair just in case. But I stuck to it I just never felt like i got into a good swimming pace, just always was dealing with something like people hitting me, or weeds or trying to figure out where i was going etc. I know I can swim much better than this. this was a point to point race which I also didn't really love so in T1 - i had to strip off my wetsuit etc, and stuff all of my things into a bag for volunteers to pick up and bring back to the finish. So my T1 time was high at 2:52. I also was taking the plastic off my bike, trying to keep it somewhat dry for the ride, next time I will do this before the race since it is just going to get wet anyway on the ride. Bike - 1:42 - Kinda bummed about the rain because I think I could have done much better on this course if it werent pouring. 2.8 inches of rain came down. of course not all of during the race. Anyway, I kept my HR in the zone and fueled well while on the bike. So not issues there. I like the bento box better than the taping method. Just easier. The hardest thing was it was so dark I didn't wear my riding glasses and it was hard to keep your eyes open with rain hitting you. It was also windy so my bike was blowing across the road. There were a ton of race marshalls out on the course the entire time so at least people were not riding stupid around me. It is actually a nice bike course I jsut didn't get to take advantage of that. I am going to work on my biking a lot so that things like rain don't have such an effect on my race. I didn't dump the bike which was a good thing. T2 - 1:44 - Im hoping alot of this slow transition has to do with my hand injury and that I can start making up time here. I decided not to grab gels because I thought there was soda on the course. No such luck so I did the entire run with just salt tabs. I did fine that way. There was water at every mile. Run 1:12 - it is actually a 7.2 mile course so it is about a mile longer than a normal oly distance but not a big deal. rolling hills the entire time including a downned tree crossing. only the start/finish is flat, but they were smaller hills, not major climbing. I need to try to run harder next time. My heel is honestly killing me and I can't want to get this fixed so I can run hard again. I knew I would make it through the run but I kinda knew it wasn't going to be a great run for me either. Finished in 3:35. I know I can do better. I was disappointed afterwards. I am happy I did the race even with the injuries as it was still fun and I gained experience and practice. I look forward to doing my next one but I don't think I will ever look back at this as a race to remember. Came home and ate the rest of the day. Tired but not really sore.

monday - Didn't sleep all that well even though I was tired. a little sore in the morning but not anything more serious that I would be from a CF workout. My upper back/neck was tight but I know it was from the bike and the way I was riding it in the rain. Did a swim - 100 warmup and drills then a 30 minute time trial. That started off as a time trial but I think I was still tired from the race becuase I was swimming well but I wasn't killing it. I went with it and really focused on my form a lot. Pretty hungry again! Actually went to bed on time as I was tired and slept until the alarm went off.

tuesday 8.24.10

I did not want to get up this morning when the alarm went off. I actually reset it to go off later and I wanted to go back to bed but I knew I needed to get up to get my workouts done for today so I dragged myself to the crossfit gym while it was still dark out. I am not happy about this change of season thing already. Warmup & foot drills then

3 rounds of

Row 500 meters

20 box jumps @ 24 inches

20 GHD situps

Time

Really hungry again today!

Chocolate Soymilk

Sprouted Grain Bagel

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Banana

Thai Tofu, Veggies & Brown Rice

Grit Tofu

Roasted Eggplant Dip

Recruited my husband to go on Sufferfest with me. That would be the 5 x 1 mile bike hill repeats. Warmup 3 mile ride then started suffering! Recovered on the downhill. Did 3 hills then he started finding ways to make the hill worse but turning off the hill to find even more hill climbing to do! why did i bring him again?? But I hung in there. cooldown 3 mile ride.

thanks lobster! I am using that race as motivation for my next race. Everything that went wrong I am thinking about to work on for next time. I have to stay focused on the swim! I need to book it on the transitions! I have to push it more on the run! I need to sleep well this week. I must eat properly the day before the race! Im on it. Been taking care of my feet as much as possible. Stretching, icing, exercises, rolling. Went to bed on time last night and was just tired this morning. Didn't get up to workout, spent some extra time sleeping. Then had to do sufferfest part 2 with my husband which involved me riding bike tabata on my trainer while my husband was supposed to yell out the time for me so i didn't have to pay attention to the watch. He took it upon himself to keep yelling faster! faster! 8 rounds of 20 on 10 off.

Chocolate Soymilk

Tempeh Bacon

Peanut Butter

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Grit Tofu

Black Eyed Peas, Swiss Chard, Carrots, Soba Noodles

slept in again this morning! went to bed on time. slept 9 hours! I never get sleep like this. I almost wonder if it isn't the NSAIDS that are making me so tired. Did 100 Steps up for time (50 each leg) time - 4.48.

Chocolate Soymilk

Tempeh Bacon

VEGA WFO w.coconut water

Grit Tofu

Zucchini Chips

Peanut Butter

Bell Pepper stuff with Brown Rice, Black Beans, Mango, Coconut, Cashews

slept in again this morning! went to bed on time. slept 9 hours! I never get sleep like this. I almost wonder if it isn't the NSAIDS that are making me so tired. Did 100 Steps up for time (50 each leg) time - 4.48.

Chocolate Soymilk

Tempeh Bacon

VEGA WFO w.coconut water

Grit Tofu

Zucchini Chips

Peanut Butter

Bell Pepper stuff with Brown Rice, Black Beans, Mango, Coconut, Cashews

Have you looked into Wobenzym instead of taking NSAIDS? When I took supplements, I used Wobenzym on a regular basis. It is considered to be the best Inflammation and Joint Support supplement of its type.

@katz - never heard of it before but I will check it out! thanks!

Went back to the ortho this morning and got more xrays. Hand looks good enough to not have to wear the splint anymore!! whoo hoo! I am free! I love it! My hand is still sore but most likely it is from it being in the splint and It should go away when I start using it again and loosen it up a bit. Hopefully I will be able to go back to weights, pullups, pushups etc. soon. I am going to test it out and see how it feels.

Had a swim workout this morning. It was hard getting up to go I was tired and crabby when I got up. Did 100 warmup and 100 of each drill then 3 x 200 meters on 1 minute.

1 - 3.34

2 - 3.35

3 - 3.31

then a 150 cooldown.

Chocolate Soymilk

Sprouted Grain Bagel

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Banana

Teriyaki Tofu, Brown Rice & veggies

Peanut Butter

Carmleized Onion Hummus w/ steamed Broccoli

Roasted Asparagus

Corn

Almonds

the preparations are done. time to rest and rock the riverstock tri tomorrow. This is the best I've done so far with getting myself ready to roll. Did my carb loading and hydration. Took a 30 minute easy ride today with 3 - 20 second pickups. Washed Stefan and got him race ready. Hair is braided and tri stuff is packed. Car is loaded and I love it! It was a long day getting it all ready but this is the earliest Ive ever been ready for a race so that is a good sign! The weather looks great for riverstock tomorrow. This is going so well I am almost waiting for something to go wrong. Like what did I forgot, etc. That's the main difference between things going well or not. When things are going wrong your so busy dealing with what went wrong you don't have time to think. When things go right it's much easier to obsess.

Chocolate Chip Spelt Pancakes

Garlic Roasted Potatoes

Pad Thai (Rice Noodles with Tofu & broccoli in peanut sauce)

Ginger Ale (Coconut water, ginger, agave)

Even got a lesson on some bike things today. Learned how to change a tube. Hope I never have to do it in a race! Thanks Jeff! You make stefan and I safer!

Riverstock Tri Race Report

fun day today! I got third in my age group although I didn't have that great of a race but things to learn from for sure. This Tri was much more laid back compared to the others ive been too. It was a blast. It was wetsuit legal which was good because this is the coldest water i've swam in yet I think. They did 2 waves. I was in the second. Took some shots at the start. At least 2 really good elbows to the face. Didn't drink any river water with them which was good because it was kinda scary looking. The water was rough for a couple of reasons. It was an in water start and as soon as we got in to tread water everyone just started drifting down the river. It was really hard to try to maintain a position. The beginning of the loop course swim was down river but that didn't really help because we were too busy crashing into each other until the first turn. I think there was so much contact because it was just really hard to see. Mostly because it was cold last night and it was foggy on the river so sighting was hard. I actually had a really hard time doing it there were times where I was just following people in front of me because I had no idea where the buoys were. After the first turn we had to cross the river with the current still dragging us down river. I definitely swam extra yardage here just trying to get myself back to the next turn buoy. I just don't know enough about how to open water swim yet to try to prevent that from happening. Then the longest part of the swim course was swimming against the current upstream into the swim with fog. Sighting disaster for me. swam extra yardage again. Just following people trying to get my bearings. Thinking it couldn't get worse. Then i made the turn to cross back against the river again and I realized how wrong I was. For some reason they put this turn right after a bridge. so now the river current is pushing me downstream directly into the bridge. I almost hit every concrete pillar of the bridge. I had to swim out from under the bridge everytime and it was tough trying to fight the current. I was coming up with some interesting swimming, breast stroke/side stroke hybrid to try to keep my face out of the water so i wouldn't hit the bridge. i survived without hitting any of the concrete and was finally going to swim for the finish downstream but my heart was thumping after having to fight so hard against the current around the bridge. I did pick up the pace but overall I was a little stressed by the swim. Everyone's swim times were slow though. T1 - had trouble getting my cycling shoes on but ready to hit the bike. This was another challenge because the flat sections of the course were on a street with road construction. Apparently there was some kind of bad accident so they were re routing traffic to this area so it was shoulder riding in the traffic heading out and then the hills started. there was a big climb around mile 5. After getting up the downhill was on a farm road which was paved but had a bunch of gravel/dirt on it so i was using my brakes. I got a front tire flat coming down it so i couldn't fly as i didn't have the best control over my bike. I didn't stop to change it because I wasn't completely sure what happened to it until I got off the bike and it would have taken me forever so I actually made it through the whole bike course on it. I didn't see any bike support or marshalls the whole ride. Mostly the course was rolling hills country roads. The national guard was doing the traffic control and they were great fun to the have on the course. I've never received such official cheers before. Or been called Ma'am so many times. The last couple miles of the course were tough with the traffic again because we had to cross it and ride in the center of the road to get back to the park. Yes someone actually got hit by a car on the course. Scary stuff. I did well with my gels on the bike. ok with the salt. But I didn't drink enough. I only got through one bottle and i was feeling that later on the run. T2 - troubles getting my socks on don't really want to wear them. My bike fell off the rack while i was getting my sneakers on. Headed out on the run. Legs hurt for the first part. They hurt a bunch on the bike too. But I felt like I was moving at a decent clip. Then the heel started hurting. It just feels so bad I will be incredibly surprised if it doesn't require surgery. I keep moving through the run but it was really starting to break me down. Then my good foot started really hurting too. But i knew I didn't have much to go by that point. I was thirtsy on the run. They only had water at miles 3 and 5. By the time I got to the run it was sunny and warm out so I was hoping for more water but I survived without it. although I did drink one right at the finish straight down. I took a gel on the run and did fine with it but I didn't have any salt. forgot to grab it off my bike. I was feeling a little crappy in the last mile not sure if it was from the heel pain or what but I knew I was almost done. I don't have an official time yet and i forgot to stop my watch but I believe I did it in 3:27. I am curious to see the splits. I think the swim was around 39 minutes (ouch!). I think the bike was 1:40. The transitions I think were faster. I hope so or jay is gonna yell. I think the run was around an hour but my husband said it was less. With the shape my foot is in ill take that. I felt good afterwards mostly thirsty not tired or sore. They had vegan friendly post race food so I even got to chow done. I am honestly surprised with how well I feel afterwards. I am not tired and my legs feel like they did some work for sure but they are not overly sore. jay puts worse beatings on me than this with walking lunges. Overall it was a great time. I need to work on my open water swimming so it isn't so much of a challenge. And I really need to learn how to ride a bike better. I was so happy to be able to use my drops again. ive been off of them for about 6 weeks while the splint was on and it just felt good to be over the bike again. Although my lower back was hurting a bit during the ride put probably because i haven't been doing that. Run wise I need to get the foot fixed.

pre-race

sprouted grain bagel

vega sport optimizer with coconut water

post race

banana

Brown Rice, Cuban Black Beans with Salsa & romaine in a tortilla

carob mint recovery drink with dates, agave, coconut water, coconut oil, salt

chocolate chip pancakes

pictures are posted to my facebook page.

how I am feeling? Really good. Not tired or sore today. I am kinda surprised by that but I am not at all complaining. I love it! I really didn;t sleep well last night so I expected to be tired today but it wasn't the case. I don't know if it is because I did so much better pre-race wise or maybe I am getting stronger at this stuff? or maybe I just didn't go hard enough.

Hit the pool this morning. 100 warmup and 500 of drills. another 100. Then 2 x 200 all out.

1 - 3.47 - missed the wall on all but 1 flip turn. they were ugly.

2 - 4.51 - thinking so much about my turns not thinking enough about how many laps I was doing. There were some extra.

Chocolate Soymilk

Banana

Chocolate Chip Pancake

VEGA WFO w/coconut water & ground flax

Pad Thai w/roasted asparagus, corn & broccoli

Chocolate Almonds

Tempeh Scrambled with red bell peppers, onions & spinach

Woke up early this morning and did all of my footwork exercises while waiting for the sun to come up so I could go ride my 10 Mile TT. My husband decided to join me for the ride. We did a 3 mile warmup and then rode 10 miles in 34.58. Had some traffic issues but overall we were hitting it. Slow cooldown ride back home. I also started using my bike to commute again now that I can use my hand better on it. Didn't feel too bad after the ride but crushed myself doing 4 rounds of 100 meters walking lunges and 25 situps with a 20 lb weight vest. time = 23.06. I was tired after that and I have a feeling I will be feeling that tomorrow. Actually tired so headed to bed early tonight. I registered for a sprint tri in sept. Excited to get another race in before the season is over.

Chocolate Soymilk

Banana

sprouted GrainBagel

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Tofu Teriyaki, Brown Rice & veggies

DarkChocolate peanut butter

Tempeh w/onions, peppers, tomatoes, black beans & lime corn crackers