MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@slim - yes it is I do crossfit workout so we do not do any rest. it is your strength and your cardio combined. you should check them out they are great stuff. never boring!

I was in bed by 830 last night I was so wrecked. Slept really well. Did a short amrap on tv this morning promoting the cf box i train at and the half-marathon im running this weekend. box jumps, lunges, squats, pushups and running. helped to get some of the soreness out of my legs. I knew i was going to be feeling those lunges, they never let me down. I did a rowing workout today of 8 x 200 meters on 2 minutes rest. Wrote down my times but accidently left them somewhere. I know they ranged from 46-49 seconds. I also did my commuting on my bike which i just enjoy so much more than the car. Swimming tomorrow. my training schedule is really light heading into my half-marathon this weekend which is kinda depressing because I know the half-mary is not going to go well with the foot but I'll finish it. the time is going to be horrible. Almost feel like I am wasting training time. It's only a few days, ill try to behave myself for that long, im not good at behaving though.

vega wfo w/coconut

tempeh bacon

peanut butter

veggie/tofu enchildas

vega vibrancy bar

banana & almonds

Eggplant, red pepper, chickpeas, mango curry over brown rice

foot is in bad shape but Ill stumble through it. The foot isn't going to get better really until after the season is over in a few weeks. Im prepared for the pain. Im sure I won't have a good race time but I'll still do the event.

Swim workout today. Went to bed on time again last night! Actually still felt a little tired today which is weird because i've def got enough sleep the last couple of nights. warmup 100,300 drills then a 50. 8 x 200s on 1 minute rest - 70rpe. Wasn't my greatest pool session. Intervals were around 4:00 - 4:08. I think becuase I wasn't going as hard as I could I was just focusing on all of the dumb little things I do when I swim. Where do they come from? Like kicking with one foot? why one? I have no idea. Ive never noticed it before so hopefully it was just something weird i was doing this morning. Did my bike commute again. Need to go pick up my stuff for the half marathon tomorrow. Doing an easy bike ride tomorrow morning.

Banana

Sprouted Grain Bagel

Chocolate Soymilk

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Peanut Butter

Tempeh, Peppers, Onions, Tomatoes, Black Beans with Pita

Grit Tofu with Gingered Broccoli

@viva - Mavic CXP22 are my rims. I'd love to get some nicer ones when I have some money to upgrade my bike a bit but they work for now. Might hit a pro/elite bike race tonight. Excited to see it.

The race today went well. I ran the half-marathon in 2:09. Considering my foot injury I'm happy with it. I made it through ok. Foot hurt from mile 1 but by mile 12 it was really an issue but I knew I could push through the extra mile. It was a well run race. I loved the course and will def do it again hopefully on a healed foot next time.

45- 50 minute recovery ride. 12 - 13 miles. My heel is really painful today. Not surprised at all although this is the worst it has felt in awhile. Icing, stretching, rolling. Legs are a little sore today from yesterdays race mostly calves. Slept in this morning.

sprouted grain bagel

vega wfo w.coconut water

tempeh bacon

Hummus with zucchini chips

Lentils & Brown Rice

Only had a Crossfit Wod to do today. Took some extra time at the gym to see what I can start doing with my hand and it looks like I can start working things back into my program. The finger is still really stiff and doesn't have the same range of motion of the other one but I think working it will help it. Calves/lower legs are still sore from the half even though I have been rolling and stretching them.

4 rounds for time of -

Row 400 meters

25 abmat situps

15 box jumps @ 24 inches

Time 15:43

Vega wfo w/coconut water

Tempeh Bacon

Blueberry Waffles

Hummus & pita

Sprouted grain bagel

Vega Vibrancy Bar

Chocolate Soymilk

Black Bean Burgers

Wheat Berry Waldorf Salad

Roasted Potatoes

Corn

@octo - great to see you on here again!

Pool workout - warmup & Drills then 25 minute swim concentrating on stroke count. I mostly fell in the 19 - 20 stroke area. I did have one lap Im super proud of where I managed 17. Unfortunately out of all of the laps I did in 25 minutes one lap isn't a very good average but it is a start. it shows me i can do it. I need to work more on my flip turns. I normally come up too soon. I think it is because I am still swimming into the wall too much and turning tightly. With all of the swimming Ill be doing this winter Im going to get those nailed down. I was doing weird things with my kick when I was focusing on the stroke half, namely forgetting to kick or intermittently kicking or 1 foot kicking. I have no idea why I do these kind of things. Overall though it felt like a great swim session. I felt fantastic when getting out of the pool. Other workout today was 50 double unders for time. I haven't been doing these much lately and it showed in my time. 2:22! And to think I used to jump rope as a warmup everyday! My heel wasn't a big fan of the double unders so my practice on these is just going to have to wait for a bit. Still stretching, rolling, icing. doing my exercises etc. It's still in my bad place from the half. Headed to a new doctor on Thursday for it.

Chocolate Soymilk

Blueberry Waffles

VEGA WFO w/coconut water

Black Bean Burger

Waldorf Salad

Roasted Potatoes

Corn

Peanut Butter

Banana

Cumin Lime Tofu

Ginger Broccoli

bike workout from hell. 1 minute on trainer followed by 1 minute isometric squat - 10 rounds. My cadence was slowing by the end of this one!

warmup with pushups, pullups, squats, dips situps. Pullups and pushups seem hard again since i haven't been doing them!

Back Squats - 45 x 10, 95x5, 105x5, 115x5, 125x 5 - dizzy afterwards kept the weight here, 125 x 5, dizzy again. Haven't been lifting heavy in awhile either. Im feeling it all around.

Got blown around on my bike during my bike commute today. Just real windy not stormy. Surprisingly feeling good in spite of the leg day. I will probably feel it when I wake up tomorrow.

Here are a few shots of me from the half-marathon. I have a pained look on my face in each one. They are kinda funny. Although my heel is still killing me. It is ridiculous today. Decided to stop taking the nsaids they are just making me feel worse overall I think Ive had enough of them for awhile.

http://shadowcatcherltd.zenfolio.com/p397156010/e389cf923

http://shadowcatcherltd.zenfolio.com/p397156010/e15161be1

http://shadowcatcherltd.zenfolio.com/p397156010/e14f9972b

Chocolate Soymilk

Tempeh Bacon

VEGA wfo w/coconut water

Peanut Butter

Cumin Lime Tofu & ginger Broccoli

Black Bean Chili

Didn't get enough sleep last night. Tough getting up and getting to the pool this morning. Plan to be in bed earlier tonight. Warmup & Drills. Then 30 x 50 on 20 seconds. I forgot my watch so I don't know what my times were. I used the lap clock for the rest. I was suffering pretty bad for most of this one. Lots of gasping and bitching during the 20 second recovery. This workout is always a crusher for me because of the amount of repeats but honestly it is one of my favorites too.

Quick CF workout - 50 air squats with a 20 lb weight vest - 1.06

Went to a different foot doctor today. This appointment went better than the last one as I think we were both speaking the same language. Decided on treating this a little more aggressively as the conservative things I have been doing are not cutting it. Although I will continue to do the conservative things too. I got a cortisone shot in my foot. Right now the treatment plan is most likely a series of shots while not running to let the foot recover. We'll see how it goes. If this doesn't work surgery is a possibility. Because of the state my foot is in he thinks it is going to take awhile for it to heal up. Getting the shots didn't hurt but it was really bothering me afterwards. I could barely walk on it. He also taped it up so im not using it which I need to keep on for a few days. I am still doing my sprint tri on sunday. So we'll see how that goes. It would be sooooo nice to be able to run then instead of hobble along but with it only being a few days after one shot I am not going to set my sights too high and just try to look at the big picture. I hope this foot feels better tomorrow as it isn't the greatest right now.

sure thing viva. once I got off of my foot last night it began to feel a lot better. Woke up this morning and it is only a little weird because it is padded and taped up. I am able to bike, actually I rode my bike to the doctors so i had to ride as soon as I got out of my appointment. I will take the tape off to swim tomorrow. he did not use kinesio tape. I might actually retape it after my swim with ktape and try to replicate his work. So far it feels better. I let you know how the swim goes I don't expect it to be an issue. I still plan on doing my tri race on sunday. Ill see how it feels on saturday. Did two crossfit workouts since the shot. have a bike time trial to do in a bit.

running on my flat tire

The foot felt a lot better this morning. just like walking around on a flat tire because it is still all taped up. I think being off it all night really helped. I tried to be good today but that doesn't usually work out for me. Hit crossfit this morning and did 21-15-9 of 35lb kettlebell swings and GHD Situps in 3.58. Hand help up well which is exciting. Tried to do my 7 mile bike time trial and it started pouring. so I was burning up the hills and trying to be careful on the downhills. So much for keeping my foot dry. Took m,e 32.34 to get 7.66 miles completed. my legs were cooked on the hills and really fried afterwards. Didn't know it was supposed to rain today so returning to the office afterwards was interesting. Picked up some fresh veggies from a farmer which make the commute home a circus show with me trying to balance all of my stuff. I was riding with my wet cycling shoes clipped in and my runner on my feet on top of those. wet clothes hanging off my backpack. Hilarous stuff!

tempeh bacon

vega wfo w/coconut water

pintos piccadillos brown rice

vega vibrancy bar

nectarine

thai salad

thai tofu & veggies& brown rice

Took the tape off my foot this morning. Overall I think the foot is feeling better. But when I step on it sometimes it still hurts. Icing my feet down a little while the bandages are off. Will stretch and roll them later. Rode my bike 3 miles to the pool this morning. warmup 100 then 500 of drills. Then 500 Time trial - 11:50. There may be some extra laps in there because I lost count and I felt like I was swimming faster than that. Overall the swim felt really good. Then 3 mile bike back home. Semi cleaned up my bike from riding in the rain yesterday. I didn't do the full washdown because it is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow so I have a feeling I will just be doing this all over again after the race but I did rock and roll the chain and wipe down the tires a bit. Already got my practice ride in the rain done yesterday so Im ready for racing in the rain again tomorrow. gotta go get my hair braided up and pack my things for tomorrow. Overall feeling good going in to the race. Other than the obvious issue with my foot I have been short on rest the last few days in a row but it is only a sprint tri so hopefully that won't matter too much. Should be a fun time.

Of course it rained for the race. the day started with a tough drive to the race site which made me later than I would have liked to be and altered my pre race setup. But I got everything I really needed to done. The swim was in a great lake called the blue marsh lake. the water is a blue-green really pretty color. It sits on a bunch of hard rock so i sliced my toe open. But overall a great lake, water was a little choppy probably from the rain. no weeds! I felt really good on the swim. I felt like I was moving along well, got into a hard working rhythm and stayed focused. It was a two lap course. I felt like I was sighting well. I only got off course a little at the end because i didn't think about the second lap being an exit lap so i was still swimming tight to the turn instead of wider towards the shoreline. t1 - went ok. Got on the bike and thats when things got interesting. I started feeling pretty bad early on in the bike. not sure why just hurting like i couldn't breathe. it was weird becuase i didn't feel bad on the swim or t1. We were told before the race started that there would be police at every turn. This turned out not to be true. not only were there no cops. there were no volunteers at the first turn which I completely missed. I was suspicious when I wasn't seeing anyone around me for awhile. Then I rode into 2 other people that did the same thing and were riding back so I turned around and rode back with them. We got back on course but we were 13 miles deep already to a course that was only 13 miles and we still have to ride the actual course. I learned a few things. I need to learn the courses more and not rely on volunteers to tell me where to go. I also should bring enough water etc in case something like this goes wrong. At least it was cool out from the rain. I almost made the same mistake on the second loop of the bike course AGAIN! luckily there was someone turning there so I followed them as literally asked to make sure i was on course. I was in a state when I finally finished the bike course. I was actually debating not even going out on the run. I was so far behind everyone and with my foot I was thinking why put my foot through this run? But my husband encouraged me to do it while I was running into t2 so I put on my sneakers and tried to run out the bike in/out which they said was the run out at the beginning of the race but i have a feeling they changed that since it is stupid and dangerous to do that so i ran around the transition to the other side. Thankfully some people were cheering me on as i exited because i wasn't feel like hitting the run so much. But I would get through it. Twice I had this weird feeling where I was just gasping for air. Like an asthma attack. Except I don't have asthma that I know of. I stopped and walked and even stopped moving for a bit until I could get my breathing under control. It wasn't exercise related as I wasn't running fast enough to be out of breathe like that. It was like a restriction where I just couldn't get the air in even though I was breathing hard. I was scared the second time it happened because I am anaphylatic and i was afraid something stung me and I didn't know it. But as fast as these came then went away too. I do have bad allergies so it is possible it is from that too I guess. The run course was hilly. Probably the hardest part of the race. Probably my last run for a really long time. My last full tri of the season. I will do some kayak tris in october as the biker on a team. no more running and i don't kayak. Wish I was able to close out the season on a better note. I felt like I was doing well until I got lost on the bike that added so much time it was pretty much impossible to make it up over a short course. But got a good workout in. Race issues I am considering emailing the race directors about. There was only 1 rowboat in the water for the swim. I think that is a safety issue. What if more than 1 person needs assistance? There were not many volunteers etc. on the race course it felt confusing instead of organized. if they don't have enough volunteers they should pay people to work the course. I understand it is the athletes responsibility to know the course but I wasn't the only person that got lost. That doesn't make for happy people. The setup was tight. The place were people parked was the same place the transition and finish line were so when people got done they were just standing around with their bikes etc while other people who are still racing are going around them. They did not use a chip timing system so people are asking you for your number so they can write it down. not a big fan of that way of doing things.

Im actually pretty tired from the race and the long day. I hope to be to bed early tonight! It wasn't a very good food day either which probably didn't help matter either.

Sprouted Grain Bagel

vega wfo w/coconut water

banana

2 slices roasted vegetable pizza

Potato & Onion Pierogies with Broccoli & Walnuts

Chocolate Soymilk

Tempeh Bacon

Blueberry Rice waffles