MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks lobster.

Went to bed early last night and slept in a bit this morning but otherwise feeling fine after the race. foot a little sore but i expected that. Used my mountain bike to commute today because all of my road gear was still wet from yesterday. Also I was considering using my mountain bike for a few upcoming tris in october where the are paved and unpaved roads in the course. I think Im going to use my road bike because it will be faster and just hope it can handle the terrain. Did 5 rounds of 3 minutes on 1 minute off on my mountain bike. covered 5.49 miles. I did coast down some downhills on the minute off that are included in the distance

vega wfo w.coconut water

tempeh bacon

banan

potato and onion piergies broccoli and walnuts

vega vibrancy bar

zucchini and sweet potato chips with guacamole

I filled out a survey on the race and let them know what I thought of that whole thing becuase it was a USAT sanctioned race. I agree with you totally and have no idea why it was so poorly staffed. It ruined my race because I was relying on someone to tell me where all the turns were on the bike. I wasn't even looking on the ground for an arrow. I learned from that and I will always look now. I have not seen the roads for the upcoming tris and they are not close to where i live ao I won't see them until I ride them in the race. The events website jsut say they are paved and unpaved hills and good descents. They state that the best times are turned in off of road bikes. I most likely will use my road bike because it will be faster if I don't have an issue. Although I would love to hear your thoughts since you know so much more about bikes than I do. I've got a trek mountain bike but it is older so it isn't one of the lightest things but it has good components on it. Never changed the pedals over on this to clipless so im just riding caged. I rarely use this bike mostly use my road bike.

Slept a ton last night too. Swim - warm up and drills and 30 minutes focusing on stroke count. Got one lap at 18 but most were 19-21 range. cf wod - 15 - 9 - 7 of Thrusters @45 lbs and pushups. The thrusters were ok on my hand. my shoulder was actually feeling worse during them than my hand and even more surprising was the thursters were easier than the pushups. the pushups were killing me after not doing them for so long. time 5:03. My foot still hurts, it is clicking a lot and hurts when I stretch it. I go back to the doctor on thursday.

chocolate soymilk

sprouted grain bagel

vega wfo w/coconut water

banana

teriyaki tofu, veggies, brown rice

vega vibrancy bar

tempeh scramble w/red pepper and swiss chard

chocolate almonds

i would see what i could find out about the terrain... the pedals on your road bike should be fine because you won't be dismounting and mounting on the course right? so maybe just run some nobby tires if it's going to muddy, depending on what can fit on your bike. sorry, i forgot what you're riding. you might want to rethink your brakes set up if it's going to be super muddy too. sounds like a fun race!

foot is still cracking and hurting a bit today. 10 minute warmup ride on trainer then 1 minute on 1 minute off, 1 minute on 50 off, 1 minute on 40 off, 1 minute on 30 off, 1 minute on 20 off, 1 minute on 10 off, and then back up the ladder! Did this on the trainer. Always a painful time on the trainer. CD workout was 21 - 15 - 9 of Backsquats @ 55, weighted step ups @ 55 onto 18 inch box, box jumps onto 18 inch box. time - 11:20. Those step ups were TOUGH! Usual Bike commuting stuff.

results from my terrible tri on sunday. no timing chips so my transition times are include in the swim and run,

.60 swim - 23:45 - felt like i swam well some of this is t time

bike - long because i got lost - supposed to be 13.5 probably closer to 25 with my detour- 1:20:15

after bike 1:44:15

run - 37:17 - almost died when i saw this. t time plus when i had to stop to walk to catch my breathe twice.

total - 2:21:32

so this race wasn't one for the record books for sure. lol.

Swim - 100 warmup and drills then 1000yd time trial - 22.27.

9minute AMRAP of 10 American Kettlebell Swings @ 35 lbs, 15 GHD situps - 6 full rounds and through 8 ghd situps of the 7th round

Overhead Press - 45x5, 50x5, 55x5, 60x3 fail on 4th rep 2 x 55, 5 x 55

Foot Doctor appointment today. Got another cortisone shot in my foot. Took more xrays to see if I have stress fractures or if the spurs are still growing (last set of xrays was from July). Might have to do another shot or two. possibly orthotics to see if they help.

Bike:Bit of a conundrum here. Most people use road bikes. The fastest times are turned in on road bikes. However, know that there are some dirt roads, rough patches and STEEP HILLS that might be tough for road bikes. **Mountain biking 20 miles through the country roads of Montour County you will encounter pastoral farmland as well as tree lined, “hilly” roads.

Here is what I got on the course viva if that helps you any!

Hit a triple today. Started with a swim - 100 warmup and drills then 5 x 200 with a pull buoy. rest 40,30,20,10.

1 4:10

2 4:21

3 4:20

4 4:21

5 4:25

then did a 100cooldown just to see what it felt like without the flotation device. This is the first time I have ever used a pull buoy and it was kinda weird. I expected my time to be faster because of the bouyancy but they were actually slower. That just when you think your flip turns can't get any worse. they were eventful, each and every one of them let's just leave it at that.

CF WOD - 4 rounds of 10 front squats @ 75lbs, 5 pullups, 10 pushups and 10 ring dips w/1 foot on a box for assistance. time 11:10.

then the crusher! 3 mile warmup to 5 x 1 mile hill repeats. 3 mile cooldown. thankfully my friend jeff came with me for morale support. I always hate this wod because i am not a good hill climber. Jeff pretty much blew my ass off the map every time but it was easier to just keep going with him there. I almost wonder if the hill climbing thing is just physical with me right now or mental. I feel like I can suffer more sprinting on flats because even though my legs hurt Im getting somewhere and its fun. On the hills im hurting and it feel like im making less progress. I suffer through it but it is definitely a weakness for me. I think I need a nap after this one.

Foot is feeling better today. Was supposed to take a day trip tomorrow but I just don't know if im up for it yet.

did my bike commuting on troy, stefans big brother today. just to get a feel for riding him again in case i decide to use him for a race i have coming up in october.

took a little road trip this weekend. Saturday went to NYC. Got a chance to meet our Dan the man as he was kind enough to let me store my bike at this place while I trekked around town. Super fun talking to him and nancy. The city was fun too although my foot was killing me by the end of the night from walking around on it all day. I expected this to happen although I was hoping that it wouldn't. Had some delish vegan treats during the day but had a headache at night and couldn't even eat my dinner I ordered. sad Ended up staying up late driving to ct. I was of course still up early so kinda sleep deprived. Sunday I had the honor of meeting jay and training with him for awhile. 33.64 loop in 2:39:30. not a huge fan of the hills. Then again I already knew that going in. went to the pool and did some drill stuff to straighten out my swimming a bit. Not really sure what kind of workout we really did but it was great to have him look at my swim. Hopefully I'll start swimming better now. drive home took longer than expected and I was up late again. So sleep deprived today, need to catch up on that and somethings around my place today. Got a crossfit wod in

21-15-9 of

65lb push press

box jumps @ 24inches

time 7:17

really feels good to be throwing weights around again. My shoulder is actually bothering me more from adding this work back in more than my hand.

sprouted grain bagel

vega wfo w/coconut water

banana

grit tofu

broccoli

lentils in onion gravy over sprouted quinoa

morroccan carrots

tuesday - still didn't catch up on sleep but hit the pool this morning. Did warmup - fist drills, finger tip drag. then swam 3 x 8 minutes on 30 seconds rest. really focused on not crossing over my stroke and not straightening my arms in the water. actually starting to feel better although my left arm has a mind of its own if i stop thinking about this. I focused more on this then trying to get as much sitance as possible but it was still a good swim.

Deadlifts - first time doing these in a long time

warmup with 95 for a few then

135,155,185,195,205,215, 225

fail 235 fail 230

sprouted grain bagel

vega wfo w.coconut water

vega vibrnancy bar

lentils in onion gravy, sprouted quinoa & moroccan Carrots

Grit Tofu, Mexican Potato & Zucchini Chips

So im going to try to maintain zone proportions while using all vegan foods for my diet and see how it works. Right now it is learning curve that is taking some time. It will be easier once I get to the store and actually plan meals that way.

not too sore but im Still tired. Had a hard time getting up this morning. Need to get to bed early tonight and catch up. 5 minute warmup on trainer then 5 rounds of 4 minutes on trainer and 50 squats. did the first round of squats barefoot and my heel let me know if isn't ready for that so I was switching shoes for every round thereafter. My heel has actually been bothering me today. I put ice on it for awhile. Today was my first full day of zoning my food. deep into the learning curve. my first impression is this is less food than i would normally eat. its too early to really say anything about how I feel or more importantly perform. did 3 block meals for breakfast lunch and dinner and a vega.

tempeh bacon

vega wfo w/coconut water

Tofu, Black Beans, Cubanelle Pepper, onions, Brown Rice

Tofu, Pinto Beans, Green Pepper, Onions, Corn Tortilla, soy cheese, avocado

2day

swim - warmup & Drills - then 25 minutes - I was supposed to be working on stroke count but I was really focusing on my hand entry and pull that I wasn't doing a very good job of counting strokes. I also was really working on my turns. I like to turn too early but getting better at it. Swim felt good overall. CF wod - 12 minute AMRAP of Row 800 meters 10 pushups (chest to deck, hands off ground) 10 abmat situps - 2 complete rounds and 467 meters rowed in the 3 round. Used my mountain bike to commute. It is just so much more to move around that I am really torn as to what bike to use for that race. My foot felt horrible today.

Did another day on the zone.

vega wfo w/coconut water

tempeh bacon

Tofu, Pinto Beans, Yellow Pepper, Onion, Corn Tortilla, Avocado

Chili - seitan, onion, garlic, red pepper, black beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, avocado

6 macadamia nuts - felt like i needed them or i would have had another bowl of chili!

This is less food than I normally eat. When im done eating I don't really feel done because Im still hungry. If there was more food on my dish I would eat it. So far ive been able to deal with it because I just do something else and im find. I am curious to see how this works out.

5 minute warmup on trainer. then 24 rounds of tabata - 20 seconds on 10 seconds off.

then 21- 15- 9 of

shoulder press

push press

thrusters

all at 45 pounds

time 12:40

hands and shoulders were hurting on this wod.

my foot is hurting again today too. really not sure why since i am not using it. maybe the pain is because it is finally healing up? although i doubt it.

zone day 3

2/3 cup steel cut oats

1/2 cup choc soymilk

2 soy sausage links

vega wfo w/coconut water

chili seitan, onion, garlic, red pepper, black beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, avocado

tofu, pinto beans, yellow peppers, onion, avocado, corn tortilla, soy cheese

1/2 cup chocolate soymilk - didn't finish from this morning's block

thanks ill check into it!

saturday swim

commuted on my bike to the pool. had a weird crash. my pedals totally locked and wouldn't move at all something weird happened with my chain so after i picked myself and my bike off the street I fought with the chain which was stuck. finally got it back on but not a good way to start a saturday. warmup and a ton of drills today. I just kept doing 100 and 100 of drills almost like i was trying to avoid the actual workout. I just had more time today since this is the only workout on my schedule and i didn't have to rush out of the pool to go to work so i took advantage of the extra time available for the pool.

interval - time

25 - 20

rest 1 minute

50 - 45

rest 50 seconds

75 - 1:21

rest 40

100 - 1:50

rest 30

125 2:24

rest 20

150 2:57

rest 10

150 - 2:55

rest 20

125 - 2:25

rest 30

100 1:49

rest 40

75 - 1:21

rest 50

50 - 46

rest 60

25 - 19

cooldown swim. bike commute back home was less eventful.

I loved this workout!