MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

picked up a $5 scale to weigh my food today. Did a lot of running around today so my food choices were not the best but I still zoned.

2 soy sausage links, 2/3 cup oats, 1/2cup chocolate soymilk, 9 almonds

vega wfo w/coconut water, 3 macadamia nuts

Clif Builder Bar, 6 macadamia nuts

Grit Tofu, 12 asparagus, 2/3 cup potato 1/4 cup red beans, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/2 cup choc soymilk (leftover from b-fast)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sunday with stefan

had 2 bike workouts to get in today. did the trainer on first because it was cold out this morning so I decided to wait for it to warm up a bit before I tackled the outdoor ride. workout 1 was 3 x 10 minutes on the trainer with 1 minute isometric squat hold after each. torture. The second workout was a 60 minute time trial. I was told to make it a hilly course so I did my best and hit the hills. Rode 13.24 miles in an hour. avg 13 mph. I am not a good hilll climber but I hung in there.

still zoning - losing weight everyday.

2/3 cup steel cut oats, 1 tofurky soysage link, 3 ounces of tofu, 1 cup chocolate soymilk, 9 almonds

vega wfo w/coconut water 3 almonds

6 ounces tofu, 1 cup red beets, 1/2 cup acorn squash

2 corn tortillas, onion, poblano pepper, 3 ounces vegetarian ground beef, 1 ounce soy cheese, tomato, 3 tbs avocado

lite day

today was a lite day on the schedule and I just feel weird about it. only a cf wod - 30 goblet squats with 2 - 25lb kettlebells racked, 20 GHD situps, 10 Weight walking lunches with 2 - 18lb kettlebells. time 4:28 it rained here all day so i didn't even do my bike commute its supposed to rain tomorrow too but it is back to doubles tomorrow. my foot still hurts. now mostly at random times. I go back to the doctor this week too.

2/3Oatmeal, 1/2 cup vanilla soymilk, 2 soysages, 9 almonds

vega wfo w/coconut water, 3 almonds

4 oz tofu, 1.4c black beans, 9 tbsp brown rice, 1 poblano pepper (small), 1 cubanelle pepper, 1/3 cup onion, 3 tbsp avocado, 1 oz soy cheese

vegan stew - 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 yellow pepper, 6 oz tvp, 1 cup zucchini, 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2 cup carrots

I ordered the soy zone book and I am curious to try out some of the recipes.

swim - 1oo warmup then 2 rounds of the follow drills for a total of 1,000 drills

100 - six beat switch

100 - catch up

100 - finger tip drag

100 - fist

100 - hand entry

recover then 100 all out in 1:39

thought it would be faster so im a disappointed but my turns were crappy.

CF WOD - 1000 meters for time - 4:23 - I set a goal of getting this done under 4:30 so glad i did. Ideally I would like to get this done around 4 minutes so I have some work to do.

had time for some extra skill work so then I did 5 rounds of

30 second handstand hold

30 seconds of hollow rocks

30 seconds off between exercises - might have been 6 sets. My shoulder was def done by the last handstand gave me a nice long cramp to deal with.

breakfast -smoothie - 1 cup chocolate soymilk, 1 cup raspberries, 1/2 peaches, 2 tbsp vega sport performance protein, 12 almonds

snack - vega wfo w/coconut water, 3 almonds

lunch - 4 oz tofu, poblano pepper (small) 1/2 yellow pepper, 1/3 cup onion, 1/4 cup black beans. 1 oz soy cheese, 3 tbsp avocado,1 corn tortilla

dinner - 5oz grit tofu, 1/2 cup red beets 1 1/2 cup yellow beans (didn't finish) 1 cup broccoli (didn't finish) 3 macadamia nuts

got my cool weather biking gear delivered today. Time to play! rained the last two days so no bike commuting. tomorrow is the reunion!

Hey Mary, long time no talk

Just thought I'd tell you that I'll be dropping my gym membership soon and starting Crossfit. A married couple owns our local one and the woman (her name is Nicole) came to our department to do a presentation, and it really was a great sales pitch. She had us do burpees as well (what a pain in the ass!) I've wanted to try crossfit for a while since reading your log and how much you love it, but I had a lot of trepidation about simply going into a strange gym and talking to total strangers. Weird huh. But now that the ice is broken (and several of my co-workers work out there now too) I think I'll be doing this sooner than later.

Whoo hoo rob! So happy to hear your going to try crossfit out. I honestly think you will like it. And it doesn't sound weird to me, I find a lot of people are intimidated by crossfit because they feel it is only for really fit people and they think that they can't do it which just isn't true eveything is scalable according to your skill and fitness level and overall the community is very supportive. I look forward to hearing all about your experiences! and if i can help you out with it in anyway don't hesitate to ask me. now go get some!

Tired getting up today. not enough sleep lately. Need to get back on schedule! I hit the pool and did

100 warmup

100 switch

100 catch

100 drag

100 fist

100 hand

then did a 40 minute swim just focusing on stroke. I tried to make sure my catch was places well and my pull was with a high elbow. Both of my shoulder will tired when I got done and my lats too.

warmup - 3 x 5 chest to deck pushups - 5 minute ride then the interval scheme was supposed to be 7 on 3 off 4 on 2 off, 2 on 1 off 1 done but it ended up being a little different because I tried to plan my course so all of the on time was climbing a hill and all of the off time was descending .while i did ride some good hills they took my longers to climb than the time and i didn't want to stop while climbing them. Also the descents took me longer too. I know the 7 turned into like 10 but i did the 3 off. the 4 was very close but the 2 ended up being a more like a 3 descent.the 2 on was like 2:30 and the 1 off longer. the final minute was accurate. It was nice weather so I got to bike commute today too. Probably not going to happen tomorrow as it is supposed to pour all day. I go back to the foot doctor tomorrow. my foot has been bothering me the last two days so I'll probably get another shot and see what he thinks.

some skill work

5 rounds of hollow rocks 30 seconds on 30 seconds off

2 minute bridge hold. working on wheel. Ive done it since my shoulder surgery but when getting into it today my shoulder was cramping so i just worked in and out of it a few times instead of trying to sustain a hold.

breakfast -smoothie - 1 cup chocolate soymilk, 1 cup raspberries, 1/2 peaches, 2 tbsp vega sport performance protein, 12 almonds

snack - vega wfo w/coconut water, 3 almonds

lunch - 4 oz tofu, 1 yellow pepper, 1/3 cup onion, 1/4 cup black beans. 1 oz soy cheese, 3 tbsp avocado,1 corn tortilla

dinner - 3oz soysage, onion, poblano, zucchini, tomato sauce, pinto beans, 1 oz soy cheese, 3 tbsp avocado

can't wait for my vegetarian zone book to get here because im hungry! I believe I am doing the zone thing the correct way but I get hungry pretty much every afternoon and im still hungry when im done with dinner. it goes away after awhile. I may have to break my vega into a morning and an afternoon snack. might make me feel less hungry.

up early to be on tv this morning. Did a crossfit wod that was an amrap of 5 kettlebell swings @ 35 lbs and 5 medicine ball cleans at 16lbs. not sure how long and how many reps just did it as long as the camera was rolling. then did my workout of 3 - 3 minute rounds of max rep burpee pullups wuth 1 minute rest between rounds.

Round 1 - 21

Round 2 - 21

Round 3 - 21

start each round doing a strict pullup from the burpee (first 5 or so) but had to kip most of the pullups in the rounds. This workout probably hurt more than it should have. It's been awhile since ive had the burpee bliss. but now it's back.

6 rounds of handstand holds - 30 seconds on 30 seconds off

Went to the foot doctor today and got casted for orthotics. Also he is going to call my celebrex in again so hopefully my insurance will cover it this time. Still no running on the foot. Stretching and all of the good stuff. When my orthotics are done I'll get another cortisone shot and see how its going. Right now Im not really convinced the orthotics or the celebrex are really going to change the situation.

really rainy day here so no bike commute

snack - 1/2 vega wfo w/coconut water, 2 almonds

lunch - 3oz soysage, onion, poblano, zucchini, tomato sauce, pinto beans, 1 oz soy cheese, 6 almonds

dinner - 4 ounces tofu, 1/2 cup onion, 1 corn tortilla, 3 tbsp avocado, 1/2 cup salsa, 1 oz soy cheese, 1/4 cup black beans

still having the sleep issue.

swim workout

100 warmup

2 rounds of the following drills for a total of 1,000 drills

100 - six beat switch

100 - catch up

100 - finger tip drag

100 - fist

100 - hand entry

then with a t-shirt on

10 x 50 with 1 minute recovery

1 - 47

2 - 46

3 - 47

4 - 47

5 - 49

6 - 49

7 - 50

8 - 49

9 - 51

10 - 50

100 cooldown without tshirt

bfast - recovery pudding

6oz coconut milk yogurt

2oz chocolate soymilk

1/3 cup mango

2 teaspoon carob powder

3 tbsp vega sport performance protein

1 tbsp agave

2 macadamia nuts chopped

"tabata something else" 8 rounds of each exercises with 20 seconds on 10 seconds off

pullups 8 7 6 6 6 7 7 7 TOTAL 54

pushups 11 9 9 8 8 9 8 9 TOTAL 71

situps 11 11 11 10 10 10 9 9 TOTAL 81

squats 15 14 14 15 14 15 16 16 TOTAL 119

GRAND TOTAL 325

Lunch - 3 ounces soysage, 1/2 cup onion, 1 corn tortilla, 3 tbsp avocado, 1/2 cup salsa, 1 oz soy cheese, 1/4 cup chickpeas

I officially registered for the 2011 Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountain race today! That will be a second half-iron distance race next year! Also doing Eagleman 70.3 in June!

Took the celebrex and as expected it makes me tired. I hate it. I wish my body didn't react this way to drugs because it would be so much easier on me to take them if I didn't feel so crappy when I do. foot still hurts. Took my mountain bike for commuting today because the streets are a mess from the storms we had yesterday. It's good to get some time on that bike anyway. even though I much prefer riding my road bike.

Dinner - 6 oz grit tofu, baked zucchini, Ginger Broccoli, baked potato 2/3 cup. didn't measure out the broccoli or zucchini and there is no way I ate enough of them for them to be a full block. all fat was used in cooking so i didnt add any extra.

Tired this afternoon. Hope to catch up on sleep a bit this weekend. So tired didn;t want to have my half vega snack or dinner but I made myself have both as they might make me feel better.

felt a lot better this morning much less tired. I forced myself to sleep in a bit. Feeling the tabata from yesterday a bit but overall good!

Started the day with some crossfit waiting for it to warmup for my bike ride.

Warmup, 20 squats, 3 x 5 pullups, 3 x 5 pushups, 3 x 5 dips, 20 situps 10 back extensions, row 250 meters

WOD

Row 1500 meters rest 2 minutes Time - 6:54 not thrilled but i wanted it done until 7

Row 1000 meters rest 1:30 time - 4:30 - about what I expected it to be

Row 500 meters Rest 1 minute 2:09 - wishing it was only a 2 minute!

Row 250 meters - .56 - happy - wanted it under a minute

3 rounds of 30 second plank hold 15 second rest

3 rounds of 30 second handstand hold 15 second rest

wheel practice. shoulder still not feeling it.

breakfast - clif builder bar 3 macadamia nuts (crappy but i was on the move all morning)

lunch - 1/3 cup, 1 red bell pepper, 1/4 cup chickpeas, 3 tbsp avocado, 1 corn tortilla, 4 oz tofu, 1 oz soy cheese

here is a link to a crossfit workout I did on a local news program the other day. Ive got on the black shorts and long blue sleeve tshirt. blond hair. Doing some kettlebell swings and medicine ball cleans.

2 hour bike ride. - 28.43 miles avg 14mph - glad to be outside instead of on the trainer.

post ride snack - vega with coconut water

had 2 gels on the bike - one at 60 and one at 90.

lentil & adzuki bean crackers - probably had more than I should have. Just wanted to taste them and see what they were like and they were yummy! didn't plan these into the diet. oops! Still waiting for my book to arrive. but dealing ok so far without it.

dinner - 6 oz - cumin lime tofu, 1/2 cup spaghetti squash,1 cup red beets

viva - the gels work ok for me. I don't find that they make me thirsty because I always take a drink with the gel to activate it although your not the first person to ask me that so I guess it does that to some people luckily no me. I know a lot of people that do the flattened cola thing. I have stayed away from it so far because I can't handle caffeine and I haven't been doing an event long enough that I really needed the caffeine for. I will do it for my half-iron distance races.

sunday spin

another 2 hour bike ride on the agenda today. 27.21 miles. averaged 13.3mph was too well hydrated for the ride. I had to pee for at least the last hour on the bike. had one gel 90 minutes in cuz i was feeling crappy. not sure if i really needed it I was just riding slower than normal so i thought it wouldn't hurt.

breakfast - 22 lentil crackers, 1/4 cup chickpeas, 1/3 cup onion, 1 green pepper, 4 oz tofu, 1 oz soy cheese, 3 tbsp avocado

lunch - 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 green pepper, 6 oz tvp, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup mushrooms 1/2 cup tomato sauce, garlic, worcestershire

dinner - 1 cup chocolate soymilk, 2 tbsp vega sport performance protein, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup blue berries, 9 cashews.

I will most likely have a vega wfo w/coconut water before I go to bed since i didnt get that in yet today.

swim workout

100 warmup

100 - six beat switch

100 - catch up

100 - finger tip drag

100 - fist

100 - hand entry

then 28 x 25yds on 10 seconds rest. Im disappointed with my times. I was ranging from 22- 25 seconds on all of the reps. I just couldn't kick it into the all out effort today even though I felt like I was trying. I would get back to the wall and I wouldn't be gassed so I know I wasn't going hard enough but I just couldn't get there. I didn't feel tired or sore or anything to explain it. I guess it was still a good workout but I wish my times were better.

cf warmup then cleans practice - it's been awhile.

4 rounds of

10 clean @ 65 lbs

5 pullups

time 7:13

bfast - 1 cup soy yogurt, 1 cup strawberries, 9 cashews, stevia, 2 teaspoons cocoa powder

snack 1/2 vega w.coconut water 2 almonds

lunch, 6 oz tvp, 1/2 green pepper, 1/4 cup onion, 1 cup mushrooms, 1 cup zucchini, 1/2 cup tomato sauce

snack 1/2 vega w.coconut water 2 almonds

another 2 hour bike ride on the agenda today. 27.21 miles. averaged 13.3mph was too well hydrated for the ride. I had to pee for at least the last hour on the bike. had one gel 90 minutes in cuz i was feeling crappy. not sure if i really needed it I was just riding slower than normal so i thought it wouldn't hurt.

sunday -

breakfast - 22 lentil crackers, 1/4 cup chickpeas, 1/3 cup onion, 1 green pepper, 4 oz tofu, 1 oz soy cheese, 3 tbsp avocado

lunch - 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 green pepper, 6 oz tvp, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup mushrooms 1/2 cup tomato sauce, garlic, worcestershire

dinner - 1 cup chocolate soymilk, 2 tbsp vega sport performance protein, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup blue berries, 9 cashews.

snack - vega wfo w/coconut water & 2 tbsp ground flax

swim workout

100 warmup

then 2 rounds for 1,000 of

100 - six beat switch

100 - catch up

100 - finger tip drag

100 - fist

100 - hand entry

followed by 6 reps of 200s on 1 minute rest. Felt great doing these. Totally forgot my watch so i had to run off the wall clock...

overhead squat day - spent most of my time stretching and mobilizing my shoulder for this. I knew it was going to be hard going there. not sure of the exact weight progression supposed to be 5 x 5 but i know i did more lifts than this. should with 15 and worked up to 45. It was at least

15 x 5

15 x 5

25 x 5

25 x 5

25 x 5

45 x 5

45 x 5

this is almost like a skill building workout for me because I have to keep the weight so low to be able to overhead squat properly so I did a bike tabata workout also on the trainer.

32 rounds of 20 on 10 off. distance = 3.57 miles avg HR 150. Found out my garmin works indoors so I can start using that on my trainer rides to keep myself accountable. I actually had the heart rate monitor on when I was getting ready for the workout and it looks like resting heart rate is between 60 -65. I know I wasn't really resting because I was moving around but it was interesting to see that as I expected it to be higher.

bfast - 1 cup soy yogurt, 1 cup strawberries, stevia, 7 grams hemp protein powder,9 almonds

snack - 1 scoop vega & 1 tbsp ground flax seed w/coconut water

lunch, 4 oz tofu, 3 tbsp avocado, 1 oz soy cheese, 1 red pepper, 1/3 cup onion, 1/2 cup chickpeas

snack - 1 scoop vega & 1 tbsp ground flax seed w/ coconut water

dindin -olive oil,sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce, lemon juice, 6oz tofu, 1/12 cup onion, 2 cups broccoli, 2 cups mushrooms, 1/2 cup carrots - 6 cashews - pictured below.

still figuring out this zone thing. making something like this with favorable veggies means i usually dont finish it as it is a ton of food but then there are other days where im done eating and just still hungry. I almost feel like finishing it and still being hungry is better because at least I know I took enough in.

45 minute ride on the trainer this morning. Felt like a crap workout. It is hard to focus my intensity on the trainer for that long. So my plan is to try to schedule all my rides outdoors unless it is an interval wod. When Im forced to be on the trainer I need to use my garmin to keep my internsity up because as soon as I stop thinking about it I slow down. Didnt get or keep heart rate high enough but I did manage to pre fatigue my legs for my cf wod. I also got the bike commute today and test my jacket out in the rain. My heel still hurts

cf wod

50 burpees, 25 GHD situps row 500 meters for time. time 8:05

bfast - 1 cup soy yogurt, 1 cup strawberries, stevia, 7 grams hemp protein powder, 2 tbsp ground flax seed

snack - 2 scoops vega w/coconut water 3 almonds

lunch - 4oz tofu, 1/12 cup onion, 2 cups broccoli, 2 cups mushrooms, 1/2 cup carrots - didn;t finish again! 1 vega vibrnacy bar. 9g protein 22 carbs. not the best but wanted to make sure i had my carbs covered since i haven't finished my dinner for last night or lunch today.

dindin - 1/2cup black beans, 4 oz tofu, 1/3 cup onion, 1 green pepper, 1 oz soycheese, 3 tbsp avocado

really tired this morning. had to drag myself to the pool and I don't think I really woke up until I actually hit the water. shoulder was sore before I started. Thought swimming would loosen it up. It didn't really help. 100 warmup, 100 fist, 100 hand entry then right into the workout of 30 - 50s on 20 seconds rest. times weren't great but they were consistent. also I felt much better about the 20 second rest than I normally do which is a good sign.

1 - 49

2 - 49

3 - 47

4 - 50

5 - 48

6 - 52

7 - 50

8 - 49

9 - 50

10 - 50

11 - 51

12 - 49

13 - 50

14 - 50

15 - 50

16 - 53

17 - 50

18 - 50

19 - 51

20 - 49

21 - 50

22 - 53

23 - 50

24 - 50

25 - 49

26 - 50

27 - 48

28 - 50

29 - 50

30 - 50

I was tired by the last few reps. My foot still hurts today too.

cf wod -

5 rounds of 15 deadlifts @ 155lbs, 10 box jumps @ 24inches, 5 push press @ 65 lbs

time - 16:18

This was a great wod. I should have gone heavier. I didn't want to load the push press too much since my shoulder felt crappy today but I probably should have done it at 75. The deads were tough but I bet I could have gone slightly heavier.

bfast - 1 cup soymilk, 1 cup blueberries, 14 grams hemp protein powder, 9 almonds, ice to thin it out

snack - 1 scoop vega with coconut water, 1 tbsp ground flax seed

lunch - 6 oz soysage, 1 red bell pepper, 1/2 cup chickpeas, 1/3 cup onions, 3 tbsp avocado, 1 ounce soy cheese

snack - 1 scoop vega with coconut water, 1 tbsp ground flax seed

dindin - chili - seitan, onion, peppers, Tomato sauce, pinto beans, avocado

Had a pretty easy workout day today. Getting ready to race my bike in an adventure tri on a team tomorrow.

swim workout

100 warmup

100 - six beat switch

100 - catch up

100 - finger tip drag

100 - fist

100 - hand entry

Then did a 20 minute swim just focusing on my catch placement and pulling with a high elbow. Wish I had longer to swim but had to go to work.

30 minutes spinning around town on my bike.

trying to stretch everything out to be ready to race tomorrow.

bfast - 1 cup soymilk 2 ounces, 6 oz blueberries, 14 grams vega sport performance protein, 3 macadamia nut

snack - 1 scoop vega with coconut water, 1 tbsp ground flax seed, 1 clif builder bar - 20 grams protein, definitely more than i was supposed to have for a snack but i was really hungry and crabby so I decided I was not going to feel that way and gave myself the extra food.

lunch - chili - seitan, onion, peppers, tomato sauce, pinto beans, avocado

snack - 1 scoop vega & 1 tbsp ground flax seed

dindin - 3 oz soysage, 1 apple (small), 1 oz soy cheddar, broccoli & zucchini

I was the biker on a tri team today and was happy with my leg of the race. It was a 15 mile course (according to the race) that I rode in 50.11. My garmin only had it at 13 ish but i started my watch when i was already on the bike but I don't think it was that much of a difference. my avg speed was 15.8. It was basically an out and back course with 7 miles uphill and 7 miles downhill a little over 500 ft of climbing. I felt like my effort was good. My avg HR was 162 max 174. Overall a fun race, cold when we got there but I was able to ride my bike around while waiting for my team to pass me the chip so I did get a warmup in. Got the pedals changed and got mountain bike shoes for my mountain bike today. Ill use that for my race next weekend because of the road conditions. Got a short swim in this afternoon. 100 warmup

100 - six beat switch

100 - catch up

100 - finger tip drag

100 - fist

100 - hand entry

Then did a 10 minute swim just focusing on my catch placement and pulling with a high elbow. Followed by 10 minutes of 25 hard 25 easy. My shoulder is still an issue. I almost feel like it is getting pinched with every pull.

bfast - 2 tofurky sausage links, 1/2 bagel w/earth balance

snack - 2scoops vega w.coconut water & 2 tbsp ground flax seed

lunch 3 oz soysage, 1 apple (small), 1 oz soy cheddar, 1oz of chip builder bar

dindin - Steamed Broccoli with hummus, 4.5 ounces of tempeh bacon over spinach

the bananas were looking soooooo good after the race but I didn't have one.