MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

@ rob - I did buy the soy zone book but I didn't read it yet. I have flipped through it and have used some of the recipes. What I don't like about the book is it is vegetarian not vegan so a lot of the recipes have dairy. It isnt a huge issue you can sub some of the stuff out by using soymilk but the ones with cheese the vegan cheese subs don't really work because they are not the same nutritional content as dairy. You don't need the block to be able to zone. Your CF box should be able to give you a printout of the materials need you to start doing the zone. If not let me know and I send you a copy of mine. But if you want to buy the book it wouldn't hurt. Basically you get a certain of block based on what your lean body mass should be. A block is not calorie related. Instead it relates to the amount of protein, carbs and fat you should take in at each meal/snack. The way the diet works it is keeps your hormones in balance. so your eating enough protein and carbs to recover from your workouts but your keeping the ratio of protein to carbs balance so that your body isn't storing fat. The fat is in the diet keeps you from starving and is the adjustable portion to add more calories into your diet if you need more fuel. The benefits of the diet are you lean out pretty fast and your body because efficient at burning fat as a fuel source instead of carbs. It is supposed to enhance athletic performance too. What does this all mean. You have to balance out the macronutrients everytime you eat. Is it hard? No but it is different than how I would eat before. Meaning, you can't just have a piece of fruit as a meal or snack. You need to balance that our with some protein and fat. So a smoothie because fruit, protein powder and nuts. Basically you can eat whatever you want but it teaches you what foods are better sources of fuel. Meaning you can have rice if you want it but it is going to be a small portion compared to eating something like broccoli which you can have 3 cups as 1 block of carbs. The recipes can be as simple or as difficult as you want to make them. Meaning you cook some tofu and put it over a salad or you can prepare meals. I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any questions etc. because I will def help you out.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

warmup = swim 400, kick 300, pull 200 then 10 x100s on 10 sec rest.

1 -1:40

2-1:40

3-1:41

4-1:36

5- 1:41

6 - 1:42

7 -1:45

8 - 1:43

9 - 1:43

10 - 1:39

100 breast stroke to cooldown

CF WOD

5 rounds of 25 kettlebell swings (american) at 35 pounds & 25 Knees to Elbows

Time - 19.23

The worst part of this wod was my grip was killing me from holding the bell and gripping the bar. And of course I tore my hand open again! Any breaking of a set wasn't because i was tired but because i couldn't hold on any longer.

breakfast - 2 cups chocolate soymilk, 1 cup coconut water, 1/2 cup blueberries, 2 tbsp ground flax, 1 scoop vega wfo

snack - clif builder bar & 9 almonds

lunch - 2 cups mushrooms, 1 1/2 cups zucchini,1 1/4 cup onion, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 28 grams tvp

dinner - 7 grams tvp 2 tbsp peanut butter, mashed parsnips

The recipes use a lot of "soy" so tofu, tempeh, soymilk, etc. Field Roast is actually seitan. You can use seitan as your protein source for your blocks you just have to count how many ounces you are using. The charts use beans, lentils etc. as a carb source instead of protein. If you don't want to be super strict about it you can still use them for protein but your carb intake is going to be higher. I still use vega wfo obviously. Basically one block of protein is 7 grams. So 1 scoop of vega who is 13 grams which is close to 2 blocks worth of protein. You can eat whatever you want you just have to look at how much protein/carbs etc is in it.

I missed going to the pool this morning but it was a biking day so warmed up on the trainer and then did 6 rounds of 30 seconds on 2 minutes off. Followed by 50 walking lunges. I was really surprised with this workout. I foolishly didn't think it was going to be too bad because it wasn't a lot of rounds, the duration of the work to rest was easier than some of other wods I've done. I put the bike in a hard gear and hit it as hard as i could for those 30 seconds and it was a good wod! Distance = 1.01. The lunges took 1.46 afterwards.

Today's CF was "kelly"

which is

5 rounds of

Run 400 meters ( I subbed Rowing cuz of my foot)

30 Box Jumps @ 24 inches

30 Wallballs - 14 lb ball @ 9 ft target

Time 35.49

The wallballs were the toughest part of this for me but I am getting better at them. I did kelly before but with running so that times are not really comparable.

bfast - 6 ounces tempeh bacon

snack 1 scoop vega wfo w/coconut water & 9 almonds

lunch - 7 ounces grit tofu, 1 banana, clif builder bar

snack - 1 scoop vega wfo w/coconut water

dinner - 7 ounces tofu, 1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/2 cup black beans

swim - 100 swim, 200 kick, 300 pull.

500 yard TT - am so mad at myself. I lost count of my laps twice. Time on my watch was 9.34. I really think there were extra laps in here because I was killing it the entire time. I really don't think I was slower than last time I did it but I don't know for sure. I really wish i knew exactly how many laps i did. But whatever I got a good workout whatever it was.

Then 1000 drills.

2 rounds of the following sequence

100 switch, 100 catch, 100 finger tip, 100 kick, 100 paddle

CF WOD was 5 x5 back squats. I love the sexy metcons so much more than the strength days. I know I need them but they are just not as much fun.

65x5

85x5

95x5

105x5

115x3 - depth felt off so got the med ball out and did the rest of my reps onto the med ball so the depth was def there.

med ball squats

95 x5

100 x5

105x5

110x5

115x5

120x3

120x5

125x3

125x2

Ran out of time I would have liked to do some more. Stretch and rolling in between sets.

Trainer ride today for 35 minutes. Unfortunately my garmin needed to be charged so I don't have any distance, HR, cadence data. But my legs hurt so that is always a good indicator for me.

bfast- 2 cups chocolate soymilk, 1 cup coconut water, 1/2 cup blueberries, 2 tbsp ground flax, 1 scoop vega wfo

snack - clif builder bar & 9 almonds

snack 2 - vega vibrnacy bar

lunch - 7 ounces tofu, 1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/2 cup black beans

dinner - grit tofu, red beans, broccoli, Peanut butter

Bike - 10 minutes of 30 seconds on 30 seconds off then 30 minute Time trial followed by 2 x 1 min of hollow rocks. Why does the trainer make my legs hurt so bad! when will that stop? To be honest my legs were tired starting this workout so I wasn't surprised with how they felt during and after. Got through the 1st min of hollow rocks out but then broke the seconds min into 2 x 30 seconds. Better to keep some form.

CF swim wod today. After a warmup did 6 x 50 on 1 minute. Followed by 6 rounds of treading water legs only then going down to the bottom of the pool without jumping in or pushing off the side followed by a hard 50. All "rest" was treading water between intervals. Im good at treading with both hands and legs but when we have to have our hands out of the water and over all heads I just sink. Then out of the pool for 3 sets of negative holding pushups followed by a hard 50. Did some laps where we had to swim as far as possible underwater followed by more laps where I could dive in and only take one breath for the entire 25. That was actually pretty good for me head because sometimes I just feel like I need to breathe all of the time and these puts it into my head that i don't really it i just want to. Did a 10 minute swim after that to work on stroke count. I was getting a lot of 17 and 18s. sadly no 16's but when I do that kind of swimming I feel like I slow down so much.

another bike wod for today - 30 minutes of 10 second on 20 seconds off Then 50 abmat situps. distance 4.01 miles. my legs felt much better on this wod than the first one of the day. took me 1.29 to do the situps. I like this wod because the work is less than the recovery so i could really sprint the entire work time and recover enough to keep doing it.

breakfast - 6 ounces tempeh bacon, 1 tbsp peanut butter

lunch - 2 scoops vega wfo w/coconut water & clif builder bar, 1 tbsp peanut butter

dinner - 14 ounces tofu, 1 red bell pepper, salsa, red beans & spinach

bike - 90 minutes on the trainer! I made it! That was the longest continous ride ive ever done on the trainer. Legs were a little sore before I even started. 18.68 miles covered. Had a hard time keeping my HR and cadence up.

Swim - the pool was so crowded and crazy when I was there. I did get a workout in but I was distracted and it wasn't one of my best. I was in a lane with 2 other people. I tried to make the best of it. but I think that is why some of my times were off. I was sore when I started but felt good once I got going.

did a small warmup then

100 - 1:45

200 - 3.35

300 - 5.28

400 - 7.25

500 - 10.29 - i think there were extra laps i lost count

400 - 8.48 - lost count again may be extras

300 - 5.51

I wanted to go all the way down the ladder but ran out of time the pool was closing.

Breakfast - 6 ounces tempeh bacon, 2 tbsp peanut butter

lunch - 2 scoops vega wfo w/coconut water, carmelized onion hummus & steamed broccoli

dinner - 7 ounces cumin lime tofu, 1 cup roasted yams, roasted asparagus

@ viva - I have a cycleops fluid 2 trainer. Just muscle soreness from the resistance.

warmup -air squats,pushups, situps

50 squats with a 20 lb weight vest - 1:15 then 9 minute time trial on trainer - 2.16 miles.

warmup KB swings, walballs 8 lb ball at 10 ft target, pullups & pushups, stretching

Push presses - 65x3, 70x3, 75x3, 75x3, 8-x3, 85x3, 90 fail, 85 fail, 85x2 fail on 3, 65 x 3. I had to go back to work or I would have done a few more sets.

Shoulder was tight and creaky today. Took forever to get it loosened up a bit.

32 minutes on the trains for 7 miles. Just wanted to get a little extra work in since today was a cf strength day.

Breakfast - 2 cups soy yogurt, 1 cup blue berries, 1 scoop vega wfo, 2 tbsp ground flax

snack 2 scoops vega wfo w/coconut water

lunch 7 ounces cuming lime tofu, 1 cup roasted yams & asparagus

snack - pb larabar

dinner - grit tofu, steamed broccoli & carmelized onion hummus

swim - warmup - at least 100 i can't remember for sure.

Then 26 rounds of 1 burpee (jump into the water at the shallow end and start swimming without touching the bottom or sides,) swim a 25 (get out of the water) do another burpee. Dive in the water in the deep end and swim another 25 ( get out of the water without touching the bottom) and do another burpee.

I decided to just time the whole thing instead of wasting time trying to get a time of the 25s. 17.18 was the total time for the 26 rounds of 25s and 50 burpees. I liked getting the diving practice in too. I don't really dive anymore when training and I actually really like entering the water that way so it was fun. The burpees were even fun too because it wasn't a lot of them so i could keep really good form and it make the 25s a little more interesting. then did drills as follows

100 - switch

100 - catch up

100 finger tip drag

100 hesitated recovery

100 shark

50 kick

100 hesitated recovery

100 shark

cf wod - horrible! super disappointed in myself today. I just couldn't pull weight off the ground. Im not tired, slept enough the last few nights, didn't even need an alarm to get up and go to the pool early in the morning. None of my primary movers for deadlifts were sore so i really can't explain my pathetic performance. Only thing that was sore was my shoulders which i stretched out and they feel much better.

deadlifts

135x5

155x3

185x3

195x2

200x1

205x1

210x1

215xfail

205x1

215xfail

185x1

185x1

185x1

185x1

I am so upset because ive pulled 230 off the ground as my max. I also was really struggling with weight like 205. Struggling meaning legs shaking and bucking and dizzy after i pulled it off the ground. I was feeling dizzy after pulling 185 off the ground which i've used in metcon wods before? Maybe it was mental today I really don't know.

meal 1 - 2 scoops of vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 2 - 2 cups soy yogurt, 1 cup blueberries, 2 tbsp ground flax, 14 grams hemp protein powder, carob

meal 3 - 8 ounces grit tofu, 1 cup red beets, clif builder bar

meal 4 - gimme lean "beef", peas, red bell pepper, red onion, roasted yams

Do you feel that doing 2 and 3 wods a day could burn you out physically? I'm just curious if that's something that worries you.

I was wondering this too. Do you take a week off now & then? It seems that the constant pounding you do would exhaust the adrenals...

I've discovered something in regards to this type of training;

deadlifts

135x5

155x3

185x3

195x2

200x1

205x1

210x1

215xfail

205x1

215xfail

185x1

185x1

185x1

185x1

For me...I have noticed that if I do many working sets building up in those small increments I will prematurely burn out. I have been making great gains/progress lately but cutting those "building up to" sets out & working more on my max lifts.

Of course, I am looking to put on mass & build muscle... & I just realized that you are probably working more towards endurance as your goal...

At any rate, those lifts are pretty impressive...I am curious...will you tell your weight? I know...I'm not supposed to ask. I was just wanting to know to get a reference on what you weigh vs. the weight you are lifting.

@ lobster - I think you were right just had an off day, I hope so anyway!

@katz - I considered maybe I build up too much and burned out too. I don't normally do that much of a warmup and i was trying to change that since sometimes I don't think I warm up enough. gotta find that balance! I am not looking for mass but I am looking for strength so if some mass comes i don't care as long as the strength comes with it. I currently weigh 135. I am 5'6. Ill probably drop my weight down a little during tri season.

Bike wod - some pushups and squats to warmup and a few minutes on the trainer. then

10 minute TT 10 squats, 10 minute TT, 20 squats and 10 minute TT

Sadly my garmin battery died so i had to do this blind. I don't have any distance and wasn't getting any HR or Cadence data while riding. I was sweating up a storm trying to push the gear and my legs were fatigued when I was done it was a good effort in my book.

CF WOD - "mary" in 20 minutes as many round of possible as of the following

5 hand stand pushups - completed as handstand inversion onto 24 inch box with legs at 90 degrees

10 pistols (one legged squats) off of a 12 inch box

15 pullups

Completed 10 full rounds and to the 2nd pullup of the 11th round.

50 unbroken hollow rocks

2 minute unbroken plank hold

25 unbroken hollow rocks

1 minute unbroken plank hold

25 unbroken hollow rock

1 minute unbroken plank hold

meal 1 - 2 cups soy yogurt, 1 cup blueberries, 2 tbsp ground flax seed, 1 scoop vega wfo, carob

meal 2 - 1 scoop vega wfo w/coconut water & 9 almonds

meal 3 - gimme lean "beef", peas, red bell pepper, red onion, roasted yams

meal 4 - 1 scoop vega wfo w/coconut water & 9 almonds

meal 5 - 7 ounces tofu, mushrooms, onions, red bell pepper, broccoli, black beans, salsa

swim - 100 warmup

500 stroke count, on good laps able to make it across the pool in 17, mostly 18. felt slow didn;t time it

500 pull - also felt slow didnt time it

20 squats

200 swim - time 3:17 - form felt sloppy

500 drills of

100 switch

100 catch

100 drag

100 hesitated

100 shark

cf wod- 5 rounds for time of 10 doubles unders, 10 front squats @ 85lbs, 10 double unders

time - 12:49

My doubles unders were horrible. Lost of one reps, not getting many chained. my focus was way off as I was stressed out today. Broke the front squats into 2 sets of 5. It was heavy and I just felt like putting it down. Not being tough enough today.

meal 1 - 2 scoops vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 2 - 2 cups soy yogurt, 1 cup blueberries, 2 tbsp ground flax, 1 scoop vega wfo

meal 3 - 7 ounces tofu, mushrooms, onions, red bell pepper, broccoli, black beans, salsa

meal 4 - 6 ounces grit tofu, 1 mexican pizza ( sprouted grain tortilla, black beans, tomato sauce, red cabbage,

WOD Mary. Haha. That should be your favorite then eh? I wonder how many comments you've heard about that at your box.

What's a hollow rock?

actually not my fav! I would never pick handstand pushups, pistols and pullups!

A hollow rock is a killer ab exercise. you put your body in a "hollow" position (what you would hold a handstand in) with your abs locked out on the floor and then your rock. painful! there is an exercise demo on crossfit.com or people at your box should know how to do them to show you. don't say I didn't warn u! Its great stuff though.

warmup on trainer then 3 rounds of 2 minutes, 4 minutes & 6 minutes with resting the same interval.

Distances are cumulative

2 - .54

4 - 1.54

6 - 2.95

2 - 3.96

4 - 4.41

6 - 5.8

2 - 6.3

4 - 7.27

6 - 8.7

Cadence avg was more like 60 to 70 trying to push the gears but HR was in the zone.

"Jackie"

1000 meter row

50 Thrusters @ 45lbs

30 pullups

time 10:56

handstand holds

100 - 2count - flutter kicks

2 minute unbroken plank hold

100- 2 count- bicycle situps

Heel is sore. I think it is from dropping off the pullup bar.

meal 1 - 1 cup soy yogurt, 1 cup soymilk, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 scoop vega wfo, 2 tbsp ground flax seed

meal 2 - hummus & steamed broccoli, clif builder bar

meal 3 -6 ounces grit tofu, 2 mexican pizzas

@lobster - i suggest starting them against the wall while you build the stability and strength and then eventually you can move away from the wall!

@vegimator -thanks so much for the compliment. glad you like the blog. the zone is interesting. somedays are better than others. It has helped me to balance out my protein and carbs for sure.

not so great with the deadlifts again today but had a great swim to make up for it. not sure what is going on with my deadlifts. There is no way I lost this much strength in such a short period of time. Has to be form or mental or both at this point. although my back was sore when I work up this morning which didn't lend itself well to the idea of heavy deads.

95x3, 135x3, 155x3,185x3,

195x1, 200x1, 205x1, 210 fail, 205 fail

decided to just call it and head to the pool since it wasn't happening today.

150 to warmup then 4 x 500 on 1 minute rest. hit a new 500 PR at 8:46!! Previous best was 9.11 so this a significant improvement. Not sure why things went so well in the pool today. Maybe I was more warmed up than usual since I went to crossfit first. Or I ate first so i had better energy. or the strokes were just going down right today.

1 - 8:46 - almost thought i counted wrong but i was really trying to not screw up

2 - 8:47 - really motivated to swim this one after the first season and it confirmed my previous attempt being so close in time!

3 - 9:48 - I really think there were extra laps in here I lost count and the time seems to indicate it

4 - 8:58 - I was going hard the entire workout but with about 150 to go I was feeling the fatigue set in. I knew I would be able to finish the workout but I was pretty much done.

100 breaststroke to cool down.

I think my stroke was a lot longer than normal so i felt like i was pulling and gliding through the water a lot more. I am feeling it in my shoulders afterwards.

meal 1 - 2 cups chocolate soymilk, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup blueberries, 2 tbsp ground flax, 1 scoop vega wfo

meal 2 - 2 scoops vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 3 - clif builder bar

meal 4 - soysage, peppers, onions, salsa, black beans,zucchini

meal 5 - steamed broccoli & carrots & carmlized onion hummus & 2 tbsp peanut butter