MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

Swim times were crap today. Only good thing is my pull buoy times are almost as close to my swim times. normally they are worse. I know they are supposed to be better but they never are. Not sure if it because i lost fitness especially pool fitness with the time off from my surgery or if i am losing time because cautious at the walls with my foot. Either way i hate it! My good shoulder was pinching again after about half of the workout. I noticed it when i would breathe to the opposite side with that arm extended. ok after the workout.

200 swim - 3.43

200 pull - 3.44

100 swim - 1.43

100 pull - 1.44

50 swim - .45

50 pull - .46

all on 30 seconds rest

500 yards of drills, 100 switch, 100 catch, 100 drag, 100 shark, 100 hesitate

5 x 100 on 20 secs

1 - 1.44

2 - 1.45

3 - 1.48

4 - 1.48

5 - 1.52

10 x 50 yds on 15 secs

1 - .51

2 - .51

3 - .50

4 - .50

5 - .49

6 - .48

7 - .49

8 - .51

9 - .51

10 - .51

300 yards of drills - 100 switch, 100 shark, 100 hesitate

meal 1 - vega wfo w/ coconut water

meal 2 - tofu, spinach, red pepper, mushrooms, black beans, soysage & daiya

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@lobster - thanks. the shoulder is sore. I don't like it! When I saw the bike course i jumped on it because I know so little about how to properly take care of my bike. And when you're riding the kind of distance I do, things are going to break and it is nice to be able to get home without having to run carrying the bike or call someone. Also USAT rules state you can not have help from another participant. (both of you get DQ'ed) You would have to get help from a race marshall if you have bike trouble and who wants to be waiting for that during a race! I am mostly taking it for the piece of mind. I still plan on having my bike shop do the major stuff on my bike. I learned how to change a flat before but I actually learned more about doing it from this teacher. I think that is the most important thing to learn because it is definitely going to happen it just a matter of when. And it is probably the most freqent repair work you will ever have to do. Check your local bike shops maybe they do a class or something just on that. If not Maybe they will just show you how to do it. Im sure the videos are good but they can't see you to correct any mistakes you might make.

CF WOD

Muscle up transition practice on ground as part of warmup.

10 rounds for time of

5 Rope Climbs (from seated on the ground to standing)

10 GHD situps

15 Seated Wall Balls using a 16 lb ball

time 28:02

This was a great wod. That was a lot of rope climbing. I love doing GHD situps because I can actually feel them working. Normally if I just do situps I don't feel anything from them. And the seated wallballs are tough especially at that many reps because you've got no momentum on the ball so it is just throwing that weight everytime. I also think it is going to make my wallballs better because i have to really throw and catch it everytime. No throwing the ball and stepping back and letting it drop when you are tired. it felt like a lot of reps. my arms were pretty tired afterwards. My left shoulder is still aching. I gotta stretch it.

meal 3 - sesame tofu, roasted green and yellow beans

meal 4 - clif builder bar

meal 5 - thai salad and thai tofu & veggies

Slept really well last night which was good since i was short on sleep pretty much every night this week. Swim - Start off with 500 of drills. Felt really good doing them. 100 switch, 100 catch, 100 drag, 100 shark, 100 hesitate. Then did "tosh" the water. I hate this workout in the pool because you spent so much time in the water not actually doing anything. I stretched a bit but mostly did the dead mans float and let my spine decompress and took some of the stress off my joints for a bit. I don't mind this workout on the track because the rest times are short. Guess i just don't swim fast enough! The tosh workout has a 1:1 work to rest ratio so however long it takes you to complete the interval you rest.

200 - 3.27

400 - 7.25

600 - 11.49

200 - 3.36

400 - 7.42

600 - 11.24

Finished with 300 drills - switch, shark and hesitate.

cf wod - Modified Elizabeth. Can't do cleans with my foot so I did Ring pushups instead.

21-15-9

Ring Pushup

Ring Dips

Time 13.23

As you can tell by the time this was more of a strength workout for me than a real metcon. Not my heart was going cuz it was but my ring dips are painfully slow. My ring pushups were the best they have even been. My depth was good and I felt strong doing them. The ring dips were not full dips meaning I wasn't going to depth in the rings but I was pushing myself up for all of the reps instead of doing negatives so it is a start. It is hard coming off the ring pushups to the dips too.

Start working on my kip swing. I gotta get more pullups connected instead of just a couple. Also worked on my handstand pushups. Those went really well. I had myself against the wall for support but I was pushing myself up and down. The full range of motion wasn't there but I think it can be soon. Although I did this after the wod so my shoulders weren't really into it. I am going to do more of these soon I feel good about them.

meal 1 - vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 2 - tofu, spinach, red pepper, mushrooms, black beans, soysage & daiya (small) - tried to eat this after the pool and just didn't have the stomach for it.

meal 3 - clif builder bar

meal 4 - 4 vegan zoned blueberry muffins (i used vega for the protein powder in these)

meal 5 - miso soup, salad, tofu & veggies, peanut butter

Really caught up on sleep last night. It was fantastic. If I could only get that kind of sleep every night.

bike - 5 minutes warmup then 3 x 3 minutes on 1 minute isometric squat hold. I did the 3 minutes on in the hardest gear on the bike. Cadence was low. heart rate was high. I did the squat hold as a wall sit since i don't have clearance for that yet. 3 minute cooldown.

Distance -

swim 2 x 300 yards of drills - 100 switch, 100 catch, 100 drag, 100 shark, 100 hesitate, 100 fist.

Then 2 x 250 yds - 50 hard - 50 easy. I really liked doing these.

set 1 4.33 - set 2 4.37

then 25 yard ladder of

25 - 21

50 - 46

75 - 1.14

100 - 1.41

125 - 2.11

150 - 2.46

175 - 3.14

200 - 3.48

200 - 3.48

175 - 3.15

150 - 2.47

125 - 2.19

100 - 1.48

75 - 1.20

50 - 53

25 - 22

300 yards of drills to cooldown - 50s of switch, catch, drag, shark, hesitate and fist.

All done on 20 seconds rest. It was a tough wod but I liked it.

meal 2 - clif builder bar

meal 3 - 3 blueberry zone muffins & steamed broccoli with hummus (small)

Foot is sore today. I must have been on it too much yesterday.

Swim - 10 x 100 Drills 2 sets of 100s of each of switch, catch, drag, shark and hesitate.

35 minute time trial - just started my 75 lap when the alarm went off. So 74 laps completed if i counted correctly which is tough with that many laps. Which is 1850 yards. I am a little disappointed in this swim. I don't feel like I went hard enough. I tried to keep good form the whole way but when the alarm went off. I was tired from swimming that far but I didn't need a break to catch my breathe or anything. I should have gone harder. it is so hard to tell how hard to swim on these kind of workouts because i can't see the time and know how much longer I have.

cooldown 100 breaststroke and 100 backstroke. glad i don't race these and i am pretty slow at both.

CF Wod - AMRAP 12 minutes of

3 ring dips

5 upright rows using a 45 lb barbell

7 ring pushups

I completed 12 rounds. the ring dips were done as negatives. The upright rows were harder than expected i think because i used the barbell. it's just an awkward size for that kind of movement. The pushups i am getting better at.

I worked on my kipping pullups and they were the best they have ever been. Easily connected 5 pullups at a time. I started using a higher bar. Did a few handstand holds, tried some handstand pushups but i am intimated by them still. I was someone there to spot me in case i can't get out of the bottom of the handstand.

meal 2 - 3 zone blueberry muffins

meal 3 - cumin lime tofu and a cup of roasted yams

meal 4 - clif builder bar

meal 5 - tofu scramble w/peppers, spinach & mushrooms, 2 slices Hemp Bread w/Cashew Butter

Finished out yesterday with a third wod. Did some bike time. 20 minute easy spin on the trainer with 1 leg. Distance - 4.15 miles.

Started today out with my first 2 legged trainer ride since the surgery. This felt like a real ride! Heart rate up, sweating, willing the legs to move faster. it was great! Warmed up for 10 minutes. Then did 20 minutes of 1 minute in a hard gear, 1 minute in an easy gear. 5 minute cooldown. 7.98 miles.

CF wod - the thrilling thirty

30 pushups

30 GHD situps

30 seated wallball shots with a 20 lb ball!

30 back extensions

30 overhead presses with 20 lb dumbbells

30 knees to elbows

30 bent over rows - 65 lb barbell

30 seconds of reach for the sky

30 chair dips

30 seconds l-sit

I tried to go a little heavier on the weights since it was a low rep wod. I had to walk around the gym to get to the different stuff so that slowed the wod down a bit. It was rough throwing the 20 lb ball. that this is just heavy. The knees to elbows were no treat either. the l-sit was a joke coming as the last thing in the wod I couldn't hold it together for more than like 5 seconds at a time. it was ugly.

time 17:48

I also practiced my kipping pullups. It is so nice to be able to chain them together and not have to drop off the bar. They are really coming along great the last couple of days.

meal 1 - tofu scramble w/spinach, red pepper & mushrooms & 2 slices hemp bread w/cashew butter

meal 2 - cumin lime tofu & roasted yams, 2 zone blueberry muffins

swim - 500 yds of drills - 100s of each of switch, catch, drag, shark and hesitate.

30 x50 yds on 20 seconds rest - started out with some good times but pretty tired. this was a lot of repeats. It was just hard to go fast for that long!

1 - 44

2 - 46

3 - 40

4 - 46

5 -43

6 - 46

7 - 45

8 -46

9 - 46

10 - 45

11 -46

12 - 43

13 - 47

14 - 49

15 - 47

16 - 48

17 - 51

18 - 49

19 - 52

20 - 48

21 - 50

22 - 50

23 - 50

24 - 53

25 - 53

26 - 51

27 - 51

28 - 54

29 - 53

30 - 49

5 x 100 yds on 1 minute rest

1 - 1.50

2 - 1.40

3 - 1.40

4 - 1.39

5 - 1.39

500 yards of drills - same as above

meal 2 - 2 cups soy yogurt, 1 cup blueberries, 1 scoop vega wfo & 2 tbsp ground flax

meal 3 - tofu, roasted asparagus

meal 4 -

meal 5 -

CF WOD - "Barbara"

Had to modify since i am not cleared to do squats yet and it was not a good mod. It would have been easier with the squats!

5 rounds of the following

20 pullups

30 pushups

40 situps

50 hanging leg lifts

rest 3 minutes between rounds

round 1 - 7.14

round 2 - 7.08

round 3 - 7.35

round 4 - 8.14

round 5 - 6.39

The hanging leg lifts - far and away took the most time and were just torture. It was so hard to keep hanging not so hard on the abs. By round 3 - i had to bust out my gloves my hands couldn't take it anymore. Round 4 - the tears started happening. I am really considering getting gymnast grips because anytime there is a lot of pullups I always tear a callus off and im sick of it! round 5 - I literally could not hold onto the bar because my skin was so torn up and sore so I did the last set of leg lifts on the floor instead of hanging. I feel like crap about it but I would have been there forever doing sets of 1 if i didnt. My connecting pullups was better during this wod until I got tired towards the end then it was ugly again. the pushups were my highlight. I have been doing so many of them that I didn't have to break any of the sets. The situps were abmat so those are easy for me. I have my doctors appointment tomorrow and I hope I get to do more stuff!

Ouch! I get a blister in the same place from deadlifting pretty often, and then it sort of turns into callous, so I feel your pain. I've torn off callouses while doing deadlifts and heavy rack pulls, too. I really need to file them down more often. It helps.

@robb - can't run for another month. No real heavy lifts but I can start trying air squats and things like that and work up to it over the next month.

@adena - ive done the "callus maintence" and it just doesn't seem to work for me.

So I went ahead and order myself a pair of gymnasts grips. I am going to see if that solves my hand tearing issue. I would like the limiting factor of my pullups to be strength not bleeding hands.

Had my bike class last night. Worked on hub adjustments and a wheel truing. next class is all about brakes.

Swim 300 drills - 100 switch, 100 shark, 100 hesitate

100 (1.41), 200 (3.36), 300 (5.30) ,400 (7.33), 500(9.42) ,600 (11.56) 40 seconds rest

400 drills - 100s of switch, catch, shark, hesitate

100 breaststroke cooldown

bike 10 minute warmup - i love using both legs! Had the cadence up over 90 the entire time. Had the HR up too!

7 minute time trial - 1.66 if i remember correctly - need to check the garmin

100 situps for time - 3.29

Dr appointment went well today. I don't have to use my crutches anymore unless i need them. I'm cleared to bike and also I can start trying out some other things like squats. No running for a month. Not supposed to do heavy lifting on the leg either. I am going to go to crossfit tomorrow and try to row and see how that goes. I got a prescripition for voltaren gel that i have to put on several times a day to break up the adhesion i have from the surgery. If this doesn't work in a few weeks he is going to give me an injection to get rid of it.

meal 2 - tempeh bacon

meal 3 - tofu, brown rice, veggies, peanut butter

meal 4 - clif builder bar & almonds

meal 5 - tofu. broccoli, carrots, peanut butter

aawww thanks!

Bike - started the day on the trainer due to a snowstorm (Again! is it time for spring yet?) 5 minute warmup, kept the cadence high and increased the gear after each minute, 3 x 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, hard gear.

15 rounds of 1 minute of big ring in the front middle of rear cassette, 1 minute of small ring in the front middle of rear cassette (attempted to keep the cadence high) 5 minute cooldown

my garmin wasn't charged so i don't have distance, cadence or hear rate date. i was sweating up a ton!

Hit Crossfit to test out some things on the foot. not a wod just experiments.

squats 3 x 15

row, 500, 500, 1000

KB swings 5 @ 18, 15 @ 25, 15 @ 35, KB clean and presses & snatches using the 18, wallballs 5@6, 5@8, 10 @ 10, walking lunges and step ups onto a 24 inch box. Handstands and reverse burpees. Floorwipers 2 sets of 15. Foot did ok. I had to go more for control over the movements so that action was more guarded than normal and not really for time but it is a start.

Swim - 400 of drills, switch, catch, shark, hesitate, 8 - 100s on 4 minutes rest

1 - 1.34

2 - 1.32

3 - 1.34

4 - 1.34

5 - 1.35

6 - 1.36

7 - 1.36

8 - 1.38

cooldown 50s of switch, catch, drag, pull, hesitate and kick.

Meal 1 - tofu scramble w/mushrooms, peppers & spinach, 2 pieces hemp bread w/cashew butter

meal 2 - cumin lime tofu with pumpkin seeds, carrots & broccoli, clif builder bar

meal 3 - thai tofu & veggies, Thai salad

@viva - swimming is fine on my foot. Kick does not bother it at all.

I didn't get much sleep at all last night. Actually the whole week hasn't been the best sleepwise. Did my longest swim workout ever today.

5 x 100 drills - switch, catch, drag, shark & hesitate

2 x 500 on 1 minute rest

1 - 9.29

2 - 9.45

A little disappointed with these times. I think I can swim faster. I just didn't push hard enough.

5 x 100 drills - same as above

4 x 250 on 30 sec rest

1 - 4.31

2 - 4.33

3 - 4.42

4 - 4.53

5 x 100 drills - same as above

10 x 50 on 20 second rest

1 - 45

2- 47

3- 46

4 - 46

5 - 48

6 - 45

7 - 46

8 - 46

9 - 47

10 - 45

200 cooldown - breaststroke

Really tired today. I think that long week just caught up to me.

Bike wod - 30 minute easy spin - kept it halfway down the cassette of the big ring the entire time and tried to keep a good cadence.

distance - 7.22 miles. Ankle a little sore afterwards.

meal 1 - clif builder bar

meal 2 - tofu, red & yellow peppers, spinach, onions, daiya, pinto beans

meal 3 - 4 zone blueberry muffins - made with vega wfo

meal 4 - soysage, lentils, zucchini, salsa, daiya, carrots

60 minute time trial on the trainer today. Can't wait til it is above freezing so i can take my bike outside again. it was 2 below when I was nice and warm on the trainer. rode 15.44 miles. Longest Ive spent on the bike in awhile. Rode in the middle of the cassette the entire time (big ring). My ankle consistently starts to ache about 25 minutes in. Didn't have a problem finishing though. I did notice when I get tired i start pulling more with my left leg. Im sure it wil even itself out now that i am back to using both legs.

Row workout 9 minutes on, 3 minutes off, 6 minutes on, 2 minutes off, 3 minutes on. 9 minutes covered 1,969 meters, 6 minutes covered 1,318 meters, 3 minutes covered 693 meters for a total distance of 3980. my rowing doesn't appear to be as good as it was before the surgery but since i won't be running another month and Ill be doing all my run training on the rower. I am sure I can get it back there!

Still trying to stretch and break up the scar tissue in my foot. I think it is working. I still want to take a golf ball to it but so far i have been able to restrain myself. maybe i will start with a lacrosse ball and see how it goes. gotta read my bike home work later today.

meal 1 - 4 zone blueberry muffins, macadamia nuts - it sounds like a lot but they are small and each one is a block so it really is a normal sized meal

meal 2 - soysage, lentils, zucchini, salsa, daiya, carrots, macadamia nuts

used the lacrosse ball on my foot yesterday a little and it hurts a ton to do that. It also bruised it up a bit today. Still stretching it and doing the voltaren gel. it feels better to walk on it now than it did last week.

swim - 4 x 200 drills - 200s of switch, catch, shark and hesitate

3 x 500 yds on 30 seconds rest

1 - 8.46

2 - 8.42

3 - 8.46

Phew! Starting to get back to my old swim times again. These are not as good as I want them but I am happy they are getting better. I was so hot when I was swimming today I literally was dumping my water bottle on my face during my 30 seconds to try to cool myself off.

cf wod

10 rounds of 5 reverse burpees

5 Kettlebell Burpee Deadlifts - 2 - 53lb kettlesbells one for each hand

this was not for time. Tough damn wod anyway. Felt like I was going to puke. That was mostly from all of the rolls into handstands on the reverse burpees. for the Deadlift burpees. I stepped back into the pushups. no jumping yet. I love kettlebell pushups they are so damn hard! The deadlifts were actually like suitcase deads. Had to be careful not to put them down on my feet!

overhead press - I felt weak on this. I am hoping it is because I literally went from the above wod to this and didn't rest between the lifts. Weak meaking the weight heavier for me to push than it should have at that weight.

45,50,55,60,65,65,70,75, fail on 80

AMRAP - 9 minutes

5 pullups

10 situps

15 kettlebell swings using a 35lb kettlebell

Got 8 full rounds and to the 8th situp of the 9th round. my kipping on the pullups was better throughout the wod. However going from the KB swings to the pullup bar is a never and easy transition. Did the situps as abmat. I find them useless but they are fast. Didn't have any trouble with the swings. I have to admit my foot is sore after working out. I don't think it is from the weights. I think it was from dropping off the pullup bar bad a few times. I got tired and it was trying to rush.

meal 1 - clif builder bar

meal 2 - vega wfo w.coconut water - 2 vega zone muffins

meal 3 - lentils & rice - 2 vega zone blueberry muffins

A little sore and slow moving getting up this morning. Did a 3 mile warmup with 3 - 30 second sprints to warmup, easier gear, high cadence then 16 rounds of tabata 20:10 in a hard gear. Distance - 1.76. HR good. After about 2 rounds of tabata you feel like you can be done. But i made it through. no problems with the foot even though I had to stand to get the bike going some of the time.

5 rounds of

1 minute plank hold

30 seconds hollow rock

1 minute reach for the sky

This was a pretty painful ab wod.

10 rounds of

10 Kettlebell Deadlifts - 2 - 53's lifted suitcase style

10 Rope climbs (seated to standing and lowered back down)

This wod wasn't for time but it was still tough. That is just a ton of rope climbing. I had little grip strength left after each round.

then "cindy" which is a 20 minute amrap of

5 pullups

10 pushups

15 squats

I had to admit it was hard to get excited to do this after the last wod but sometimes it is just a 3-2-1-go do it time. I used my grips for the first time and I didn't get any tears on my hand. I think they are gonna work out well. my pullups were shit, i dropped off the bar after everyone to reset the kip I was too tired grip wise to hold onto the bar. Pushups and squats went unbroken through the whole wod. Probably could have done my squats faster but I haven't been doing them for awhile. I got 17 full rounds in at 19:59. my last pre-surgery cindy i got 17 and 2/3 of a round so I was a little behind on this one.

meal 1 - tempeh bacon

meal 2 - vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 3 vegan beef, broccoli, potatoe

felt nauseated this morning. thought I would throw up during the wod. row - 4 x 400 meters and 50 steps kettlebell farmers walk. I used 2 - 53 pounders. time 10:27. this wod wasn't too bad I either didn't row hard enough or I didn't carry enough weight. I have been using the 53's this week. maybe it is time to pull out the 70s. Actually I think it being a short wod helped!

10 rounds of

2 Handstand pushups

5 GHD situps

this wod was not for time. Felt good doing it. Handstand pushups are getting better. and i love ghds, except they give me a headache.

5 rounds of

7 sumo deadlift high pulls using a 65 lb barbell

3 pullups

It is amazing how good my pullups are connected when I am not timed and tired during a wod. I guess they will get there.no issues on the SDHP, will have to go heavier next time.

"helen"

3 rounds for time of

row 400

21 KB swings @ 35 lbs

12 pullups.

time 12.58. my pullups were not well connected again. previous time pre-surgery was 12.31 so i was a little slower

felt a little sick and dizzy after helen. not sure if it was just fatigue from the wod or a blood sugar thing. I definitely felt like i needed to eat asap which i usually don't want to.

meal 2 - 3 slices hemp bread w/cashew butter

- i know bread! But it has 36 grams of carbs in 3 slices and 20 grams of protein before adding the nut butter so it is pretty decently zoned.

meal 3 - tofu, broccoli, carrots, almonds, clif builder bar

meal 4 grit tofu & potato piergies