MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

had to get a quick crossfit wod in this morning. Did a 20 minute AMRAP of Row 400 meters, recover 30 seconds. Got 8 full round in and 291 meters of the 9th round. strange thing happened while doing this. Both of my feet were aching. Ive never had trouble with my feet before during rowing.

took my road bike out today even though it was cold just to feel some movement! 4 rounds of 25 minutes on 5 minutes off. Because I was outside in the cold for this I didn't take a full rest for those 5 minutes. I actually kept moving (to stay warm) just eased the pace a bit. I covered 28.11 miles avg speed 14 mph, avg hr 131 max hr 156 avg cadence 86 max cadence 113. Glad I didn't take my tri bike since I ran into some roads covered with running water.

meal 1 - vega wfo w/coconut water & ground flax, banana, very small oatmeal

meal 2 - clif builder bar

meal 3 - granola & soymilk, mac nuts

meal 4 - tofu, red peppers, zucchini, guacamole

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off I absolutely hate the time change bs. I was tired and crabby getting up this morning. Had a hard time falling asleep last night (did get a lot of reading done, still LOVING born to run, great book!!) and getting up this morning. Glad it was only a drill day at the pool as I wasn't feeling energetic. I basically go to bed around the same time every night and wake up in the morning before my alarm goes off. But that one hour difference always screws up my internal clock.

swim 1700 of drills 100s of switch (both hand and head lead), catch, drag, shark , hesistate, side kicking, steamlined kicking

cf wod - "nancy"

5 rounds

Run 400 Meters (Rowed)

15 Overhead Squats @ 65 lbs (used 2 x 10 lb dumbbells = 20 lbs total)

time 23.26

why was the time so long and the weight so low? I am HORRIBLE at Over head squats. OHS and Snatches are my worst moves in crossfit for sure. I did all of these onto a medicine ball so the depth was good. Biggest problem is I have a hard time getting my surgical shoulder back into the position. I know it has been a long time since my surgery but in this situation it is still a factor. Because I used the dumbbells I had to stabilizer my shoulder more with the weight overhead making it harder and also I couldn't

use the other shoulder to cheat with a bar to pull this shoulder back. The wod went down where I couldnt connect more than 3 -4 OHS in a row and all of the pain was on the post op shoulder. When I cant get it back and i have to push the weight up with my squat it starts to come forward and that doesn't equal good things. This is the first time I am going these since my foot surgery and I havent worked on them much due to various injuries so maybe someday I will be better at them with some work. Feet felt ok on the rowing a little tight towards the end. I stretched the hell out of my lower legs and shoulder before the wod.

meal 1 - vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 2 - soy yougurt, blueberries, strawberries, ground flax, vega wfo, mac nuts

meal 3 - tofu, red peppers, green beans, roasted yams, guacamole

thanks adena!

tri bike on trainer - "lactate shuffle" - warmup - 13 minutes, then 5 minutes on, 2:30 off, 6 minutes on, 3 minutes off, 7 minutes on. 5 minute cooldown. Pushed a hard gear for this whole wod. bad news is my garmin wasn't charged so I don't have any distance, speed, cadence data.

cf wod

Deadlift - 1 - 10 - 1 - 20 -1 - 30

warmup - 135,155,175,185,195,205,210,215,220, 225,230,235,240,245,250 (fail)205

This is a 15 lb PR for me on my deads! Kinda funny it would make it's appearance on a day when I wasn't even doing a strength wod but rather warming up to do a metcon wod.

setup 2 bars

heavy bar for the 1 rep @ 205

metcon bar for the reps @ 135

Wod time - 4:25

I went too light on this wod. I went unbroken through all of the reps. I definitely should have gone heavier on the metcon bar. and I think I should have gone a little heavier on the heavy bar since i pulled that off the ground fast too.

meal 1 - granola & soymilk

meal 2 - clif builder bar & mac nuts

meal 3 - falafel & red beets

meal 4 -

meal 5 -

Don't be sad. OHS are tough...maybe because it has so many parts to it? Where you have problems with engaging the shoulders due to your surgery, I usually have problems with the hamstring flexability...but really, how many people could do them at all?

Congrats on the DL PR

And I agree..DST is stupid. It accomplishes nothing. If farmers need "an extra hour of daylight" then they should get up earlier dammit

@rob - yeah OHS are great for building strength but honestly it isn't the most functional of movements for life. If im putting some heavy weight over my head im most likely not going to squat down too.

Im glad you feel my pain about dst! I had the same issues last nite/this morning although not as bad. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier.

I took Damon, my new cervelo p2 outside for the first time today. It was so nice to be on him off of the trainer for once! It was an easy spin just to get used to the handling. All went well. There will be an adjustment period as I acclimate more but overall don't see any major issues. I even felt it was easier to climb which i know it isn't supposed to be. Has to be the weight difference.

wod = WORKOUT OF THE DAY

swim - 1000 of drills, 100s of switch, catch, side kicking, streamline kicking, shark & hesitate

500 yd TT - 8.46 - wow! felt like I was going so much faster I was kinda shocked when I saw the time.

cf wod

4 rounds of

row 200 meters

30 goblet squats - 2 - 26 lb kettlebells racked - 52 lb total - onto a med ball

row 200 meters

30 GHD situps

time 24 minutes

meal 2 - vega wfo, soy yogurt, blueberries, ground flax, mac nuts

meal 3 - clif builder bar, mac nuts

meal 4 - lentil & peanut patty, roasted green beans & yams

I ordered an xlabs carbon sonic wing and a bag to put stuff on damon. Hope this setup works out when I get it.

started off the day with some back squats. All were done onto a medicine ball to ensure depth

45x5

65x5

75x5

85x5

95x5

105x5

115x5

125x3

125x3

125x3

120x3

120x3

115x3

I know 125 isnt my max because I was still moving the weight quickly but it was the sticking point where I had to force myself to go down to depth with the weight. also didn't have a spotter available so it was a good working weight.

run - 3 miles - time 27:30 - starting to get a little faster but still too slow for my liking!

Went back to the foot doctors today. he doesn't want me to race on sunday. he said to give it another month and then start with a 5k. I am sad about that but I really can't run well anyway, however that doesn't stop me from wanting to. he wants me to give it a few more weeks then start doing speedwork and then start racing. Still doesn't want me running hills yet either. but I did get cleared to start trying out jumping and see how it goes. so do i listen or do i race anyway? if i am really running as fast as i can then whats the difference between going to the race and running this pace compared to just training. I'll have to sort that out in the next few days. He does think Ill be 100 percent by june.

meal 2 - clif builder bar & mac nuts

meal 3 - tofu, peppers, zucchinis, guacamole

thanks chewy more workouts like those are coming!

swim - 3 x 500 yd drills, 100s of switch, catch, drag, shark , hesitate, head lead, side kicking, steamlined kicking.

500 yard TT - 8.45 - pretty consistent with the one i did a few days ago.

got to start jumping around again today!

5 minutes jumping rope

15 box jumps @ 12 inches

15 box jumps @ 18 inches

15 box jumps @ 24 inches

row 1 mile for time - 7.32

3 x 30 seconds of hollow rocks. all of the GHDs have paid off these didn't even hurt!

more box jumps, then 5 more minutes of jumping rope, this time mixing in single foot and running in the rope.

my foot felt ok while I am doing it. Afterward it pretty much feels like it does when i get done running.

There is now a heavy bag hanging in the gym so i had to throw down some punch and kick combos. that felt awesome! It is going to be hard for me to go into the gym and not hit this bag everytime I am there.

i finished reading born to run last night. what a great book. I highly recommend it.

meal 2 - soy yougurt, blueberries, ground flax, vega wfo

meal 3 - lentil sheperds pie

meal 4 - clif builder bar & mac nuts

meal 5 - tempeh bacon, granola & soymilk, peanut butter

awesome lobster! hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know what you think when you read it. Im reading "it's not about the bike" by lance armstrong now.

I had a trial of a bike ride today and not of the time sort. my date with damon: chased by a dog, stuck in a car accident, launched my water into the road, and had a kid with a scooter try to take me out. Im not great at riding my tri bike in the city yet. I have to get more comfortable on it. I went back for my water. I guess these aero bottles don't hold on well to the bike. The police actually let me ride through the accident while all of the cars had to wait for it to get cleaned up. The cop actually said to me be careful out there people are just not watching today. probably because of the nice warm weather or it's a full moon soon who knows. I was able to outside the dog. It was a big german shepperd! and i managed to swerve around the kid without dumping my bike. Thankfully this was just a getting used to the bike kind of ride instead of a workout or I wouldn't have gotten a very good workout in. I am going to have to find places to ride this bike that have less traffic.

had bike class this morning. We are going to take it to the road next week is the weather permits. Ill like that better than the trainer situation for sure. We did some sprints, simulated hill climbs, and 8 minute TT, high cadence riding all with recovery in between.

Also did a 6.5 mile run today. Did 5 miles of it with my friend Angie and then did the last 1.5 miles by miles. I did a bunch of mobility work before I went out. Didn't have any pain running but my left foot went numb again. I don't think it is the shoes because I had my yanks completely open so they could stretch as much as they needed too. Also as soon I stop running it goes away. The hard reality of mobility work is now that I ran I feel like I need more mobility work. it is a vicious cycle.

meal 2 - tofu, eggplant, red pepper

meal 3 - tofu, eggplant, red pepper, soy yougurt & granola

woke up this morning feeling like I needed some more mobility work. My left foot is sore. It started last night after my run. Maybe adjusting to the new adjustment the doc did to my orthotic or i was running stupid when my foot when numb and i didn't realize it. Or i hurt it during the mob work i did before i ran. Spent some quality time riding stefan this morning. Did a 2:30 minute ride. Covered 35.35 in that time. I did a little warmup (less than a mile) and a cooldown mile afterwards. It was an interesting ride. my legs pretty much hurt for the first 45 minutes. They were probably not recovered from yesterdays ride or run. Or it was so damn cold it took them that long to warm up. I think my hammer gels were partially frozen when I was eating them. I just tried to keep my cadence up and didn't attempt to push any hard gears when I was hurting in the beginning. After that I actually felt better. I was thinking about a lot of things when i was riding today. working on my cornering, line and climbing. All of them feel like they are getting better.

meal 1 - granola & soy yogurt

meal 2 - tofu, peppers, mushrooms, peanut butter

thanks. it's doing better today!

Woke up this morning with really tight lower legs. I could barely even stretch them at first. I ordered a pair of Earth Shoes to try to get my heel cords stretched out. I had them in the pasted and they keep your foot at 3.7 degrees of dorsiflexion. Meaning your toes are actually higher than your heels. They are comfortable although not all that attractive looking. But ill take anything that stretches my stick legs out.

Swim - all drills all day long! Kinda boring. did 2,000 worth in 100s of switch, catch, drag, shark, hesitate, side kicking, streamlined kicking, head lead. 50 breaststroke to cooldown

Regular warmup + 5 minutes jumping rope - 3 x 5 KB swings @ 44

cf wod -

7 rounds for time of

5 burpees

10 GHD situps

15 Back Extensions

time 9:20

First time doing burpees in a long time. This was a good amount to start with because I was able to power through them fast and keep good form and get good jumps with them. The legs had a good burn with these 3 exercises together.

5 minute of jump roping

some heavy bag work - just because - i should use the extra time to work on crossfit skills but it is just fun to have a heavy bag available again.

meal 2 - vega wfo, soy yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, ground flax, mac nuts

meal 3 - cashew & red lentil burger, roasted green beans & yams, tofu, mushrooms, red peppers

meal 4 - clif builder bar

meal 5 -