MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

lobster - i got the feeling you thought that was what it was. If it was I would have probably ignored it and kept swimming!

Ok here is the race report for today. It was a 5k and I was lucky enough to be the 2nd female overall and the 1st in my age group. It was my first race back after surgery so Ill consider it a success. It was a though day to race. It rained here all day yesterday and we have been having strong windstorms all day yesterday and today. So windy that part of my neighbors house tore off and concrete bench were turned over. I've got to go clean up my backyard because there is stuff everywhere. I decided to ride stefan to the race as it was only a few miles away from my house. As I was riding down I was thinking I should have brought Troy, my mountain bike, as there was a lot of broken tree limbs on the ground as well as some mud , washout stuff to ride though. Did I mention it was cold and I really didn't dress well enough. I don't know what I was thinking. I wore tights, a long sleeve technical shirt and a windbreaker jacket. I also had my riding gloves. Initially i planned on taking all of this off to race but i was so cold i kept all of it on. i really should have worn my under armour but i thought it would be too warm for that. I really didn't get warmed up on the bike ride down so I did a slow jog for a bit to get warmed up. That didn't really help either so I tried to make sure my lower legs? feet were stretched out. Mostly I was just shaking cold until the gun went off. I really wasn't nervous at all for the race. I didn't have an real expectations of myself coming off the surgery so i guess i had nothing to be nervous for. I actually told someone that it would probably take me 26 or 27 minutes to run it just because i feel like that is where i am at right now. I passed a group of girls in the first quarter mile. The race starts down in a park and runs up a hill onto the levee system. when i got to the top of the hill I could basically see who was in front of me and it looks like all guys. Running on the levee is usually fun because it is flat and fast but today it was just windy as hell. You had to ask yourself if you were even moving forward. The 3 hills in the race are all getting on and off the levee system so they are short but a good grade. as I was approaching the turnaround point I was watching to see who was in front of me and I realized that I was actually leading the race. I held that lead through the first 2 miles. I got passed on the last hill and I wanted to try to keep her close because i've always had a good kick at the end. probably the years of track in my past but I honestly just couldn't keep her close enough to catch her at the end. I didn't run a good tactical race; I waited until the downhill towards the finish to really kick in and that's too late everyone does it there. Also I should have try to stay behind some of the guys I was running near and let them take some of the wind for me but I felt like I was running too slow when I was doing that. Its the first time ive raced in awhile so i was most likely too excited just being there. i can honestly say i did run as hard as i could for the thing. i probably went out too hard but the thing is so short that I wanted to try to really go for it the whole way and i haven't been racing so i had no idea where i was really at race pace wise. I thought i started my garmin at hte beginning of the race but it wasn't working so i started it late. I also forgot to stop it when i was done. Don't worry I did remember to start and stop my ipod. Priorities!

I believe my time was 26 minutes and few seconds. There was mumblings after the race about the times being wrong. I did this race last year and it was my worst race of the season. It took me 26:34 then. I remember getting 25 something on my watch, again issues with the way they run their timing. over the board times were slower today and it had to be the wind factor. The overall male winner ran it just short of 20 minutes and usually that is a few minutes lower. I have a feeling I placed so well because a lot of people didn't show with the weather. Hopefully it only gets better for me from here. I haven't had much run training on my legs with the whole foot surgery situation. I didn't really notice any pain when i was running however my feet and pretty much everything else were freezing! I ran the whole race without my orthos and my left foot is still sore from running with them a week ago! I need to get the strength in my feet built back up and my lower legs stretched out as much as possible. One of the guys that was drafting off of me told me that I was running kicking my legs out like a duck. He said i kept flicking them to the side instead of pulling them forward. what was that about? The data i have off my garmin has me at 25.31. avg pace 8:36 best pace 6:26. avg hr 172. max hr 195. The t-shirts they gave out are bright yellow so it will be great to ride my bike in for visibility and I'll be wearing the maillot jaune!

meal 1 - sprouted grain bagel

meal 2 - banana

meal 3 - vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 4 - clif bar

meal 5 - tofu, red pepper, mushrooms, onions, guacamole, peanuts

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am impressed! Congratulations to you! Wow how do you keep your heartrate so high for so long? When I do intervals on the elliptical I can get mine up to 175bmp at the very highest (which up until now I thought wasn't too bad so thanks )but my average bpm is usually inthe 160's......and I feel pretty drained after an hour. How do you do it?

Thanks so much ladies!

@barb - HR - I've had mine as high as 230. (of course I was running up a huge hill at the time) - you just have to be willing to suffer. it doesnt feel all that great to have your HR that high. But your average in the 160s for an hour is a good! So don't worry about it!

thanks rob!

swim - 500 of drills to warmup then 2,000 yard TT - took me 37.21. Had the pool to myself for the most part. Lifeguard forgot his swimsuit. Did 50 of breaststroke to cooldown then had to get out and get ready for work. was running late with the whole lifeguard issue.

CF Wod - 20 AMRAP

5 pullups

10 GHD situps

10 Back Extensions

Rounds - 16 full and 2 pullups in the 17th. Not too bad considering i had to run back and forth from the GHD machine to the pullup bar. My pullups were really good today. I was able to kipping them through the whole wod without breaking. Which made me happy. I didn't tear my hands up either! I can handle pullups so much better when they are in small chunks like this. When there is a tone of them in a row I always get tears. Probably not just from the friction but from the fatigue too.

meal 1 - vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 2 - vega wfo, ground flax seed, strawberries, blueberries, soy yougurt

meal 3 - clif builder bar

meal 4 - tempeh scallopini, roasted potatoes, mac nuts

My abs are sore today! I guess 160 GHD situps will do that to you. It is cold and rainy here again so no biking and my foot is still a little swollen from the race. I put ice on it last night. will have to do that again tonight. So no running either. Back to the pool!

500 of drills to warmup then 30 x 50 on 20 seconds rest - times started out good but by the end I was so tired.

1 - 41

2 - 43

3 - 43

4 - 45

5 - 44

6 - 45

7 - 44

8 - 45

9 - 44

10 - 45

11 - 45

12 - 44

13 -45

14 - 46

15 - 46

16 - 45

17 - 46

18 -45

19 - 45

20 - 46

21 - 47

22 - 46

23 - 47

24 - 47

25 - 48

26 - 47

27 - 47

28 - 49

29 - 47

30 - 50

31 - 49

cooldown

100 breaststroke

100 backstroke

cf wod

10 - 9 -8- 7- 6- 5- 4- 3- 2- 1

Deadlifts @ 155

Walking Lunges

Time 7:20

warmup deads

135x5

155x5

175x5

185x3

185x7

I originally was going to do the wod with 185 But the guys were picking on my deads since I wasn't connecting them and they were liking my form so i dropped weight and made sure they were perfect.

meal 2 - vega wfo, soy yougurt, ground flax, strawberries, blueberries

meal 3 clif builder bar & mac nuts

meal 4 - thai tofu, broccolit , carrots, peanuts & almonds

abs are still sore! did a little brick workout this morning. Started with a 13 minute warmup on the trainer. Then did 16 rounds of tabata (20 on 10 off) followed by a 20 minute run outside. I put hills back into my running. I think it is time to start doing them again. Used my bike to commute again.

CF wod - did the whole thing barefoot because i forgot sneakers.

21- 15-9

Power cleans at 65 lbs

pullups

Time 7:48

No hand tears again! whoo hoo! I probably should start going heavier on the cleans. I didn't connect my pullups as well as I did last time.

meal 1 - granola & soy milk

meal 2 - clif builder bar

meal 3 - clif crunch bar

meal 4 - tofu, mushrooms, black beans, red bell pepper, yellow string beans, pico de gallo

meal 5 - vega wfo w/coconut water

Swim - 500 drills to warmup then 25 TT - 65 full lap started the 66th. 1,625 yds. I was surprised by this because I didn't think I could swim that fast. I hope I counted the laps right!

CF wod -

5 rounds of

5 dumbbell front squats (20lb dumbells)

5 dumbbell push press (20lb dumbbells)

5 dumbbell overhead squats (5lb dumbbells)

5 burpees

time 6.43

I must not have gone heavy enough on this wod because this felt like one of the easier wod's i've done. Had to go super light on the Overhead Dumbbell squats because i can barely overhead squat. It's ugly.

meal 1 - vega wfo w. coconut water

meal 2 - vega wfo, soy yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, ground flax seed

meal 3 - clif bar & mac nuts

meal 4 - grit tofu, brown rice pasta, broccoli, red peppers

@adena - Overhead squats are my worst lift by far! Maybe someday I will be good at them. I am just not that motivated to work on them through because I feel like they are not as functional of a lift as the others. At least I am using that as much excuse.

@rob - that's exactly why you use the dumbbells. it is harder because you have to stabilize the weight. It is good to use dumbbells or kettlebells etc. in a wod sometimes into the barbells just to build stability.

Run - 1+ mile to warmup with some hills

2 x 800 meters on a track w/ 3 minutes rest between

1 - 3.38

2 - 3.45

Disappointed with the times but there seems to be where my running is at right now.

cooldown run - 1+ mile with hills

AMRAP 30 minutes

9 hanging squat cleans @ 55 lbs

7 GHD situps

5 manmakers w/ a pair of 26lb Kettlebells

3 Burpees

Got 6 rounds was a bit over the 30 minutes but wanted to finish the round up.

manmakers are 1) start in the push-up position with hands on db's, complete a push up.

2) row one of the db's after you're in the up position of the push-up, then place db back on the ground and do another push-up.

3) repeat 2) but with your other arm performing the row at up portion of push-up

4) jump your feet near your hands (just like a squat thrust).

5) clean and press the db's

6) after the press bring db's to waist height and squat down until you can rest db's on deck slightly in front of your body.

7) jump back into push up position and repeat.

Most of my time in the wod was spent on the manmakers. I never did those before so initial it was slow just remember what the next move was. those are brutal. towards the end it was more about fatigue. You know it is a bad wod when the GHDs and the Burpees are the easy part. My arms are pretty tired from the manmakers. I might have pulled something in my chest too.

meal 2 - clif bars, banana, mac nuts

meal 3 - tofu, brown rice & veggies

Decided not to go and do a crit with the team today because of the weather it was raining and I just don't have the bike skills yet for that. Turned out the entire team decided not to go because of the weather. Im sure it was the right decision because I just don't need crash or injury before the tri season kicks off. i wanted to go and do a long run today but my foot was sore last night and this morning from my run yesterday morning. I am just not in a place right now where I can run back to back days. I really need time to let the foot recover. I really hope this is a post surgery thing and it isn't like this for the rest of my life. so I had to head out in the rain and ride my bike anyway. Did a 40 mile TT. It wasn't a great day for a TT but had to do it anyway. I felt like crap the entire ride. I didn't eat, drink or sleep well yesterday. I just had my schedule screwed up being in NYC. The food wasn't so bad but I def didn't have enough water to drink and I didn't get enough sleep last night. It took me 17 miles on the bike before I even started to feel alive. I rode 40.75 miles in 2:51 minutes. avg speed 14.2 mph. climbed 1,454 ft. max speed 38. not bad for riding in the rain. I took stefan. max hr 160 avg hr 140. avg cadence 78 max cadence 113. It was a tough ride just never felt good. I took 1 salt tablet with me and 3 gels. used the salt and 2 gels. probably didn't fuel enough because by the end of the ride i just couldn't move my bike any faster. Didn't have any serious issues just didn't seem to have anything extra to give today. I also ran out of water which is why i didn't use the 3rd gel. I was able to pee while riding my bike though.

meal 1 - sprouted grain bagel & clif bar

meal 2 - gels on the bike

meal 3 - vega wfo w/coconut water - 2 slices roasted vegetable pizza

meal 4 - tofu, mushrooms, peppers, onions, black beans, guacamole, clif bar

@lobster - i think it is more of a mental thing, you need to just tell yourself it's ok and then just relax. I personally find it easier if you stand up.

foot was in better shape this morning so i had the honor of running with my friend jeff who is just an amazing running. did the boston marathon 7 times plus lots of other impressive accomplishments. We headed out on a flat 10 miler. Took me 1.44 but the foot held up ok. A little sore at the start and finish. No major soreness yet but I am icing it now and hoping that helps with the recovery. Jeff mentioned that I am turning my left foot out when i land on it instead of it being straight. This is the foot that had been giving me most of the issues lately. I am not sure why I am doing that. I took enough water with me this time so that was helpful.

meal 1 - 2 slices vegan roasted vegetable pizza & 2 clif bars