MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

hey mary if i took that much salt/electrolyte during a 3 hour ride, i would have a blood vessel explosion. seriously. for short rides like that i might take a gel or a hit of gel but i'm more likely to rely on a larabar instead. i'm probably doing it wrong though. what kind of weather was it that day? but you are an animal, dude, your training is amazing.

http://crystalcomments.com/6/28426.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

swim - 500 drills to warmup

15 x 100 on 15 second rest

did this with a friend at the pool and that really helped to get through it. he swims better than I do so he was responsible for the counting and such. Things that get tough for me as I get tired. all I had to do was follow him.

1 - 1.37

2 - 1.38

3 - 1.42

4 - 1.40

5 - 1.40

6 - 1.43

7 - 1.42

8 - 1.40

9 - 1.40

10 - 1.41

11 - 1.40

12 - 1.43

13 - 1.43

14 - 1.44

15 - 1.43

100 breast stroke to cooldown. Avg about 1:40 for these which I was pretty happy with.

CF wod - 7 minute AMRAP

10 thrusters at 65 lbs

20 GHD situps

got 3 full rounds and 2 thrusters in the 4th. Wow I didn't miss doing thrusters at all!

Had extra time so did some running drills. Trying to get back to proper form. It is going to be a process I can tell already

Finally had some dry weather so took my Tri bike ride outside for an easy ride just to get more comfortable on it. That kinda backfired as I got hit by a car. The guy turned left in front of me and I couldn't stop fast enough. I basically hit the front of his car and then fell on the ground. Saddest part is that the guy left and didn't even see if i was ok. However other people did stop. One guy chased him down and got his license plate so we could call the police about it. The police went to the guys house and he claims he didn't hit me I just fell and that is why he didn't stop. My friend I was riding with was yelling at him so he said he was scared. I am very happy to be ok. It could have been much worse. I am taking my bike into the shop just to get it checked out. I rode it a little bit and the rear brake seems weird. some paint on the tire but not much else that I can see. I was mostly just shaken up from it. But I am back to riding again today just trying to feel comfortable on the roads again. I haven't decided what i am going to do yet about it. If my bike is ok probably nothing.

meal 1 - vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 2 - vega wfo, soy yougurt, ground flax, strawberries, blueberries

meal 3 - clif bar. mac nuts

meal 4 - seitan, green beans, red beets, yams

meal 5 - clif bar

The police said they can issue the guy a citation which is a monetary fine or we could go in front of the magistrate about it. However it is going to be my word against him. I do have the names and numbers of several witnesses. But if i am not hurt and the bike doesn't need to be fixed It is most likely a waste of my time to go to court about it. I am not going to really gain anything from it. And honestly I would just like to forget about it as soon as possible. I couldn't eat last night or sleep. I just think it was from the adrenline because I was shaking for a bit afterwards. Several people have told me I should do it just to make a statement but I really don't think it would make any kind of serious impact. A friend that is a local tri race director said I should let it die because a cyclist was hit during the riverstock tri (which i did last year) in the same kind of situation. Someone turning in front of them and no time to stop. The cyclist went to the ER but the driver and the city actually sued her and won because in the state of pa a bike is a vehicle and they said she wasn't in control of her vehicle and she hit the car. As completed screwed up as that is I just don't need the drama of something like that happening. The guy that hit me is a retired firefighter so I have a feeling it isn't a fight worth fighting wheter it be right or wrong. I am just happy I able to keep riding my bike!

thanks lobster I agree!

Today was all about getting my legs back underneath me. I was rattled last night and off my game. Didn't eat anything, didn't sleep much at all and just didn't feel well this morning but I wanted to get on with it. I did a transition workout this morning. And I used my tri bike and even rode on the same street I got hit on right passed the scene of the crime if you will. I wanted to do this because there is no way I am giving up on riding/racing my bike so it's time to start getting over it right now. I didn't ride in the aerobars as much as before but at least i got out there and did it. The brake seems off so I am going to take it into the shop tonight and have them check it over.

work was run 1 mile ride 5 miles and run 1 mile. Honestly I was tired so none of it was my best effort. But i need to get back at it. my knee is sore but i think it is from my leg hitting the frame either when the car hit me or i fell.

"crossfit total"

shoulder press 45 55 60 65

back squat 70 80 95 105 115 125 135 135 135 140 (onto medicine ball)

deadlift 155 175 185 195 205 215 225

total 430

again not my best effort. I feel like i'm walking around like a zombie today. just don't have the extra drive. Hopefully sleeping tonight will be better and I can get back at it for real tomorrow!

meal 1 - granola and soymilk

meal 2 - clif bar & mac nuts

meal 3 - tofu, brown rice, veggies

meal 4 - vega wfo w/coconut water

Ate some better food for dinner and got a decent amount of sleep last night so I am feeling better today. It wasn't enough sleep to really catch up and feel good, I am still tired. But hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can catch up more. Had my bike to the shop yesterday. they just had to tighten some stuff and fix the brake a bit. No serious damage. no major bill. so at this point I think I am just going to drop the whole accident thing. I don't like adding any kind of outside stress into my life that isn't necessary. I find I live happier and train better without it. Therefore I don't want the distraction of it hanging over my head. Don't get me wrong I think the guy is a jerk and he deserves it but I care more about how I feel so this is the best decision for me. I am happy to have literally walked away for the accident. I was very lucky

bike on trainer this morning - 2 mile warmup then 10 minutes of 1 minute on 1 minute isometric squat hold. cooldown easy spin for a few minutes. I am soooo ready to put the trainer away and just ride outside all the time for the next few months. I am sure there are times when Ill use the resistance to do tabata workouts but overall it is nice have some decent weather here finally!

CF wod - "kelly"

5 rounds for time of

Run 400 meters

30 Box Jumps @ 20 inches

30 Wallballs - 14lb ball @ 9ft target

time - 39:01

This is the first time I was able to do a cf wod with running instead of rowing so that felt pretty good.

meal 1 - seitan nuggets & mac nuts

meal 2 - enchiladas & clif builder bar

meal 3 - tempeh bacon & vega wfo w/coconut water

back squats

bw x 10

45x5

65x5

85x5

95x5

105x5

115x5

125x3

125x3

135x1

95x5

all were done onto a medicine ball.

took a bike skill class tonight. we worked on cornering and climbing. I am going to start setting up water bottles and just practicing cornering around them. the climbing was good. had my hr up in the 160s several times. legs felt worked when we were done.

i ordered a thule 9003 platform raceway for my tri bike. it is supposed to get delivered tomorrow. finally ill be able to transport my tri bike. and just in time for my first tri of the season on saturday. it is just a sprint but i am looking forward to it! I also have a bike race on sunday.

meal 1 - tempeh bell peppers onions spinach and daiya

meal 2 - clif bar 7 mac nuts

meal 3 - tofu & broccoli

meal 5 -veggie pizza and seitan

Got home last last night because of the skills class and by the time I got cleaned up, fueled up and setup it was a late night. Didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked to. Hit the pool this morning anyway. Needed to get the swim done early or it wasn't going to happen and I wanted to swim and then take the rest of the day off since i am racing tomorrow and sunday.

Swim was mosly drills - usual 500 set as a warmup. Then 100 swim before throwing on a tshirt and doing a 500 tt with the tshirt on. swam 9.23. Not my best time for that but ok. Swam 100 with fins, 100 kick, 100 paddles and pull, 100 side kick, 100 breast and 100 back.

meal 2 - vega wfo w soy yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, ground flax seed

meal 3 - clif builder bar

Saturday is a my first tri of the season. it is only a sprint and a short one at that. 300 yard pool swim, 13 mile bike outside and 5k run outside. It is going to be cold tomorrow morning. So I am mostly likely going to wear my tri stuff in the pool and then throw on a riding jacket and glvoes before i take off on the bike. I hope to not still need them on the run. but we'll see how it goes. Then sunday I am riding in the tour de scranton which is a 65 mile, (metric century) bike race. Should be fun!

Race report - DACC Sprint Tri

300 yard indoor swim, 13 miles outdoor bike. 5K outdoor run

I woke up to the alarm this morning and really didn't want to get out of bed. I of course made myself since i had a race to get to but all morning I wasn't feeling well. Just tired from not sleeping enough this week and it was catching up to me but i wanted to do the race anyway. I forced myself to eat half a bagel and then headed out. It was cold in the mid 40s which isn't exactly triathlon weather but nothing you can do about it. I was a little frazzled at the race start got there just in time for the race meeting and then had a few minutes to set my stuff up and go. Warmup was mostly me running back and forth to my car and transition setting things up. We got in line by our swim seed times. I got number 20 so there was a few people ahead of me but more behind me. I quickly jumped in the pool and swam a 50 mostly just to get the water temp. No time for a real warmup. Swimmers were started 30 seconds apart. You had to run across the mat and slide in the water (no jumping/driving allowed) Then you had to swim a lap down and back in each lane before ducking under the lane line and repeating in all lanes until you exited the pool. Flip turns were illegal and would get you dq'ed. I was really surprised by that. I guess it is because there were so many people in the pool at once but I wasn't a fan of it. The switching lanes thing was a little weird for me because i never did that but it actually worked out really well and was a good idea instead of having someone counting your laps. it also made it more exciting to watch. My form felt horrible on the swim. I never felt like I was anchoring my hand and rotating threw. Felt like I had a high turnover. Probably because I was excited with all of those people watching and it was such a short distance no time to really settle into a pace I was just trying to go hard the whole time. I swam in my tri clothes. had to run up a hill to transition and I was huffing! Another strange thing is they had no racks whatsoever to put your bike on so i had to rest damon down in the grass. I put my mat next to me and had my stuff laid out but i was so excited to keep going I was rushing to get my shoes on and then struggled to pull on my riding jacket. helmet and i was off! Forgot to put my gloves on which would have been nice because it was cold. Glad I took the time to put my jacket on because i think it really helped. Only my feet were cold. I certainly wasn't warm but i was working so hard I wasn't concerned about the temp. The best part of the bike for me was I felt really comfortable riding damon. I haven't had much time to actually use this bike and then with the accident this week I was a little concerned I would be tentative on the bike. Not so I was in a good tuck, riding on the nose of the saddle and going for it! On the flat sections of the course I have to admit I was riding as hard as I possibly could and it felt great. Sadly for me there were some serious climbs in the ride. While struggling through those I was wishing I had stefan and my triple gears available! It wasn;t just the steep grade of the climbs that hurt it was that they were on FOREVER! On one hill I was going so slow and hurting so much I actually clipped out and started walking my bike up the hill. I can't believe I did this! I wasn't the only one. The worst part is that I was hurting so much just trying to walk my bike up the hill! My legs were fried, I was puffing and I was a little delirious. At this point I thought I might be trying to go a little too hard so I tried to drink some of the water I took with me. I could barely get it down i was so wrecked so I tried to settle myself a bit while still moving forward. 2 guys passed me on the bike and they were so nice. 1 was like just keep pulling up on the pedals! I am thinking to myself I AM it isn't getting my anywhere! the second guy actually made damon feel sexy because he said really nice bike! After all this climbing it led into a great descent. Which is probably where I am the best at riding right now. I know that sounds silly because who isn't good at going downhill but I find I pass a lot of people going downhill because I am not afraid to just go. For the most part I descended well. I did have to be a little cautious in sections because it was a winding switchback and there was still a lot of loose gravel on the roads because they haven't really been cleaned from the winter yet. There was also some water runoff. It made me happy to feel this good on my tri bike sometimes I think my issues with it is I have been riding where there is traffic and it is just isn't really good for those kind of conditions. Of course the finish to this bike course had you going back uphill to transition and there were actually speed bumps at the top of the hill as if i wasn't already going slow enough! Transition went smoothly. I left my riding jacket on which i quickly threw off about a quarter mile into the run and told one of the volunteers I would come back for it after the race. I think it was the right call because that jacket holds in a lot of heat. I wasn't cold on the run. However this was probably the worst brick I have ever felt. I think I went so hard on the bike or i was jsut fried from the hills that i literally felt like i was doing the ironman shuffle for the beginning of the run. I knew it would go away so i just kept running through it but it felt ugly. I passed a guy pretty early in the run and he was like u go girl Im still trying to get my legs underneath me. I yelled back, yeah me too! I did not use my watch and had no idea where i was at during any part of the bike or run course. I knew it was short so i didn't need to pace it some ways I think it helped because i just kept telling myself to go hard it is almost over. A volunteer probably trying to help me and the guys running near me told us when we hit the half way point of the run and i was thinking, that's it! I still have so far to go! But I kept going. Part of the course was on trail which I wasn't thrilled about because of my foot. Also as I mentioned my legs were not feeling the freshest either. I was hoping i was getting my feet up enough that i wasn't going to be tripping on things. a couple of guys passed me on the run of course it was on uphills! one woman passed me on a hill too and she was like wow your so strong doing the whole thing Im just doing the relay. Your looking great. Now I know i wasn't feeling great. Back up a hill to the finish I would have liked to sprint it in but after the hill I didn't really have much of kick but I did push it as much as I could. I ended up going 1:30 for the course. I was hoping for a 1:25 but i didn't know about the hills on the course so I am not surprised by my time. I took 1st in my age group. The results are not posted yet so I don't know my overall placing but I believe it was top ten. I am also curious to see my splits and transition times. Overall it just felt great to be racing again. The biggest thing I need to improve on is my ability to climb hills both on my bike and while running. The race was fairly well organized. I got sent the wrong way twice on the run by volunteers but it was only by a few steps. They were directing the bikes and the runners at the same time but i didn't let it bother me. I felt really focused today. There wasn't anything available on the course and I really didn't make a good effort to drink on the bike because i was more set on riding but i was thirsty. Big difference between the bike and run. on the bike i was thanking the volunteers and cheering on other participants by the run I was hurting so bad i would give the volunteers a thumbs up to let them know I understood what they were telling me and I couldn't even thank the other participants that were cheering for me! I used my new thule 9003 raceway platform because i couldnt transport damon any other way and i have to say I really like this rack. It is much easier to use and it seems more stable too. My only concern with it is that i don't get rear ended. gotta get recovered. tour de scranton tomorrow!

meal 1 - 1/2 bagel

meal 2 - 2 clif bars - vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 3 - half bagel, tofu, peppers, zucchini, pinto beans, guacamole, peanut butter

First here are my race splits from the DACC Tri yesterday.

Swim Run T-1 Bike T-2 Run TOTAL

5:52 32 58 52:11 39 30:00 1:30:09

Surprised the swim was so high. The no flip turns and the lane changing did screw me

up a bit. Actually expected my bike to be higher and my run to be lower. These are

the best transition times I think I have ever seen. All of my numbers were in the top

few for females on this course. I actually felt really good after the race yesterday.

A little sore and tired but work up feeling good this morning and just in time for the

tour de scranton which is a 65 mile bike ride featuring 4900 ft of climbing. I rode

the course in 4:34 for an avg speed of 14 mph. avg hr of 137. It was a fun ride and

I am happy that i did it. I actually was a little concerned when we started the ride

because my legs were not feeling fresh and I was thinking if they feel this way now

how are they going to feel after more miles but after the first 20 miles or so they

actually started to feel better. I felt better at the end of the ride than at the

beginning. I actually ran into a little trouble in the middle where i started

getting a headache and wasn't feeling great. Then I noticed my left hamstring was

starting to cramp and i took some salt and it really refreshed me and I was good to

go for the rest of the ride. I did a few gels. There was some gatorade at the water

stations that I also used. It all worked ok. I actually was handing out salt to other

riders that were getting cramps. I had to convince them that gatorade just doesn't

have enough of what they need. I have to say I think following my nutrition actually

had me feeling good through the end when people were really starting to hurt. The

climbing in this course is more stacked towards the end. The last several miles are

fflat and I still had the legs to put down sub 4 min miles. I'm pretty happy with

the way that today went. i didn't crank too hard in the beginning but rather paced

pretty well throughout the race. I am especially please with myself for not walking

any of the hills. Some of them were ugly and steep. A lot of them were long. It

helped that I was riding my road bike so I had my triple gear available as was able

to just set a good pace and just keep going up them. Made me wonder if i don't try

to climb hills too hard and fast just to get them over. I actually felt pretty good

on a lot of them that other people were complaining about. me and the hills are still

not friends but maybe we are learning how to get along together. After the race my

biggest complains are i'm sunburned, my lips are chapped and my eyes are red. All

little things. So far my legs don't feel bad. They don't feel fresh but they are

not really hurting yet either. I actually rode this race a little smarter. If I was

hurting and needed to recover. I sat on someones wheel and let them pull me until I

felt recovered. I did plenty of pulling too especially towards the end.

This is a bit late on here, but I'm glad you got away from that collision with no injuries. The guy was a retired firefighter and he was scared of someone yelling at him? LOL what a wuss. Very glad you are okay though. I see cyclists every now and then and I don't often think of the danger they are probably in.

thanks lobster

@rob - yeah it was probably a lie.

easier recovery day on the schedule today. I actually didn't feel bad at all today. No soreness and my energy level was ok too. Headed to the pool in the morning. 500 of drills to warmup. Then 4 x 500 on 20 seconds rest. time were slower than normal so i am probably recovery from the weekend.

1 - 9.33

2 - 9.24

3 - 9.41

4 -9.46

So I listened to the body for once and didn't do any other training today. took the extra time to do some errands and cleaning. I'd rather be training.

meal 2- clif bar

meal 3 - red beans & brown rice, peanut butter

meal 4 - clif bar & almonds

meal 5 - sesame tofu, broccoli, mushrooms, corn & water chestnuts, almonds

Got a few training days coming up then it is taper time for devilman Half-Lite 50 Tri that I am racing this weekend. Work will be busy this week and I will be traveling for this tri so I am going to try to stay on a good schedule this week.

got good sleep last night. I'm happy about that as I don't want to go into the half -lite tri this weekend as tired a I went into the sprint last weekend.. Last week was just a bad week with the accident though. I want to sleep well the next few nights because I probably won't sleep well in the hotel the night before.

12 minute bike TT today. due to time issues I actually didn't warmup before the workout. I just went out and hit it for 12 minutes. probably not the best idea. I also didn't get the best effort in due to traffic. I couldn't stay in the aerobars the whole time and I got stuck trying to turn during it which I am sure ate up some time. I avged 19.5 mph with my max at 22.5. HR avg was the 155 max was 165. I covered almost 4 miles. I actually ended up riding longer than the 12 minutes but my watch shut off after 12 so that is the end of my data. I never heard the end workout alarm go off so I keep riding until I realized it had to be longer than 12 minutes and saw my watch had stopped. That is one of my current issues I had to wear my garmin on my wrist because there is no place for it on my tri bike and i can't read it on my wrist unless I sit up and look. I hope to get this resolved tomorrow when I take the zipps a friend is loaning me to the bike shop to see if they are race ready for saturday. I really hope that they are. I want to get the cassette and the brake pads switched out and just be ready to roll! I didn't feel bad when i was riding but I was kinda tired afterwards.

CF wod

7 rounds of

7 back squats @ 95 lbs

5 pullups

time 6:26

I liked this wod because I was able to go unbroken on all of it. I did take little chalk breaks mostly to try to prevent tearing my hands up. I did some back sqauts to warmup to this weight for the wod. I actually feel better after the CF wod than I did before it. The body is happy to be working again. That is how I get with time off. I know it is good for recovery but I swear in some ways it actually makes me more tired.

meal 1 - tempeh bacon

meal 2 vega wfo w/coconut water

meal 3 - grit tofu, roasted yellow beans & red beets, mac nuts, clif bar

It was a cold wet track workout this morning but I am happy to get it in. It wasn't ideal conditions but it was the right time to get the workout done as the next few days are a taper for saturdays race.

ran 1 mile to warmup. then 8 x 200 meters on 1 minute rest.

1 - 47

2 - 45

3 - 49

4 - 47

5 - 46

6 - 48

7 - 47

8 - 47

My target time was 45 seconds but I missed it by a few seconds on most of the reps. I am just slow coming off this surgery in the winter. I will put the work in to get the speed back. walked a 400 to cooldown. It was so cod and wet that i was freezing by the end of the lap and happy to go get a hot shower! I do have to say my legs were feeling yesterdays back squats and bike before I even started this.

Deadlifts were the cf portion of today's programming

warmed up going 135x5, 155x5, 185 x 2

Workout was 2 reps on the minute for 12 minutes. I choose to do 185 as my weight for all 13 rounds as it is about 75% of my current 1 rep max. My hammies were already tired from the day before and the running so while I would have liked to go a little heavier this was a good working weight for today especially with the race on saturday.

The training the next few days will be light. I am taking my tri bike into the shop tonight to get the zipps a friend loaned me checked out. I also need to workout a spot for my garmin that I can actually read the data while riding and also pickup some nutrition.

meal 1 - vega wfo w/coconut water & tempeh bacon

meal 2 - clif bar & mac nuts

meal 3 - tempeh scallopini with mushrooms and broccoli, mac nuts

meal 4 - clif bar

@ lobster - almost 3 hours away from me

@ viva - aero helmet?

been crazy busy and hating the stress of it all. The zipps are on but i was unable to locate the pit stop tubular sealant I want. Still trying a few other options but It looks like I may just have to ride the race without it. I tried all of the local bike shops my hope now if i can find it near the race. Anyway, had trouble getting air into the zipps so that ate up a bunch time. Also my spare tubular wouldn't find the xlab bags so thankfully i had straps from jay and I was able to attach it using those. I gotta say if it weren't for my friend jeff none of this would be going down. he is pretty much keeping me from completely losing my mind today! I only hope that things get better before the race and that tomorrow isn't as crazy as today was. I semi-packed my stuff. I will have to finish packing tomorrow when i get out of work before i drive down to the hotel I am staying at. Wishing the travel goes smoothly and i that I don't forget anything. This is a busy time for me at work between the stress of that and the stress of trying to get everything together I need to keep this in mind which picking out future races. Im sure i will make it through all of it but it isn't going to be an easy day. Sometimes being an endurance athlete is about enduring so much more than yourself. Got in a 20 minute swim this morning. it actually was really fun to just go swim without having to count the laps or go as fast as possible. i actually felt like i was able to focus on just swimming more. Of course I wouldn't wnat to do it all the time i like to push myself but it was fun for a day. Also took a 20 minute spin on the new race wheels. sadly it was super windy so i didn't really get to relax and enjoy the ride. I was kinda just getting blown around a bit. I hope to get out for a bit again tomorrow and hopefully have a better ride. I want to sleep in if possible. I plan on getting out of work early. If something screws that up I am really gonna be behind the 8 ball. I'm learning lots of lessons though. like don't wait on doing any of this stuff until before the race. My head would be in a better place right now if most of this was already done and I just had to travel and race. It is good i am getting that before going to eagleman. I even need to pack earlier when possible. I am actually a little tight and sore today nothing too major so i hope to be rested and in good shape for saturday.

meal 2 - vega wfo w/soy yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, ground flax

meal 3 - clif bar & mac nuts

meal 4 - tempeh spinach peppers daiya

meal 5 - clif bar

meal 6 - tofu, brown rice & veggies

Im here and ready to take on devilman tomorrow! thankfully I slept well this week! I also followed Jay's little taper to the T for tomorrow. I took Damon out on a little spin this morning. I think the 404 is a losing a little air. I while try to inflate before the race and see how it goes. I may have the onsite bike shop look it over. I need to go and see them anyway because they have some Vittoria's Pit stop for me! that makes me really happy I don't want my race to be over because of a flat! Hopefully I won't need it and everything bike wise will jsut roll smoothly tomorrow. The weather was actually pretty warm when I arrived in town this evening so I am hoping that the water isn't going to be too cold! I am happy i left work early because the drive down was rough. It took me forever to get through Philly. It gave me enough time to get myself in order tonight and relax a bit. It was a rough few days getting ready for this with work being busy etc. but it feels good to not be running around the night before a race. I have to remember this feeling and plan accordingly in the future.

meal 1 - bagel - little vega

meal 2 clif bar mac nuts

meal 3 - tofu raviolis, seitan

meal 5 - seitan & gnocchi, mac nuts, coconut water