MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

Spent the weekend up in Lake Placid doing some training with Jay and some of his other athletes. Took Thursday as a full on rest day and packed my stuff etc. Friday was the long drive up to placid. Didn’t feel all that great after so much time in the car. And my check engine light came on so I had to go deal with that when I got into town because it’s a small town and your in the middle of the mountains. Not how I wanted to spend my time there but since getting back home would be necessary I had to deal with it. Thankfully it was able to be fixed rather quickly and I was able to make it for a portion of the swim workout. I only got in 1.2 miles but it was better than nothing. Mirror lake is awesome and I wish I could swim in it everyday! The water quality is good even if it is a little cold and I love the wire the buoys are hung on because you don’t even need to sight to swim straight! I drafted off of tom on the way out and then hit on the way back. It felt like I was swimming well which I mentally needed after the eagleman swim. Wish I had time for another lap but it would have to do for the day. Didn’t time the swim but it felt like a good pace. Saturday We took it to the Ironman lake placid bike course. I only did only loop because of my knee. And since my ironman is so far off there was no reason to push it through another loop and aggravate my knee even more. I did a little too much distance on one of the out and backs and ended up riding 60 miles. The pace felt ok on this too. The last 6 miles were tough because it feels like your riding straight into a headwind and you making very little progress. I wasn’t going all out because of the distance but it was a good effort. My knee hurt more than I would have liked probably because of the hills. It’s actually a pretty nice course. Afterwards took another dip in mirror lake with Lindsey while the boys did another lap. Another decent swim might have been a little short because our time was pretty quick. Felt good on the legs. Hung out on the beach reading for awhile. Then took another lap in the lake with jay. Mostly because I didn’t get to swim with him yet and I wanted him to check my form and give me some feedback on it so I can improve my swim. Felt pretty good swimming again. It was late so it was only a 1.2 miler again. I saw only because I never really felt tired during the swim. Which is fine since that is the farthest swimming distance I will be racing this year anyway. Sunday did a half-marathon or 1 loop of the run course. Wish my knee was in better shape for it so I could be running instead of just trotting along but I that is what I came up there to do so I did it anyway. Jay noticed I am turning just my left foot out when I run which is the knee that hurts so I really need to work on my running form and drills and hammer this down. I have to improve my running if I want to be competitive. Over the last year I have seen improvements in my swimming and biking (of course I am still looking for more) but my running due to the injury and the surgery etc. hasn’t seen enough training time. Basically I have been getting by in these races because I have the fitness and the mental capacity to just stagger through the run until it is over. It certainly isn’t a strength for me right now through as back in the day it used to be. Ill work in it and it will improve. Got some raw spots on my feet where I have been getting blisters lately. Overall it was a great training weekend. Wish I had the time to train like this everyday! I wanted to hit mirror lake one more time before I left town but sadly there wasn’t enough time before checking out and starting the trek home. I actually felt pretty good afterwards only my lower legs were sore and basically anytime I run any kind of distance that happens. I am in the process of strengthening them back up. Monday only had a cf wod on the schedule. 10 rounds of 10 kettlebell overhead squats and 5 ghds situps. I used an 18lb KB (overhead is my weakness) and did all of the squats onto a med ball. Time – 10:38. It was a good wod to have after the weekend because I couldn’t go too heavy on the squats because of the overhead factor and I just love GHDs!

Tuesday – lower legs better but still a little stiff. Hit the pool 500 of drills to warmup then 5 rounds of 200 yards pull and paddles. Took a minute off between reps. Tried to focus on keeping my elbow high on the pull. That is going to be a big focus in my mind when swimming. 100 breaststroke and 100 backstroke to cooldown. CF WOD – Row 800 meters 100 GHD situps Row 800 meters. Time was a fun one. Had a good pace for the first 800. Felt it going into all of those GHDs and then really felt the GHDs when starting the 2nd 800. I was just trying to maintain a good pace on the 2nd row. Time 12 minutes.

Knee is still a little crabby. Not as bad as it was, not as good as I would like it. Not sure what I am going to do about it.

I might actually be getting my new road bike this week. It going to be a cervelo r3 with sram red comps on it. Yippee!

I also viewed my eagleman endorphin report and the funniest part is my transitions were the strongest parts of my race experience. Wonderful the things I don’t train are my best! In events I actually work on my swim was the strongest portion of my race followed by the run and then the bike. I really got killed on the bike. Im not going to read too much into the report as it wasn’t a good race for me. I can swim, bike and run a lot better than I did that day. The report is basically just charts showing you how you did against your competitors broken out by various factors.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last day of biking or running for awhile. went to the ART doc and he wants me to rest the knee and let it calm down for a week until my next visit and see what happens. It if helps maybe for a longer period of time. If that doesn't work I'll have to go to an ortho doc. Going to be lots of swimming coming up on my schedule! Probably some strength training too.

workouts for today - run 4 x 400 meters with 50 air squats in between. Actually ended up running 4 rounds of 1 lap (about 350 meters with a small hill) and then hitting the squats and ended in the session with an extra lap to make up the distance. Time was 14.15 and it felt like a great workout. the knee didn't feel good while running and it was tight and sore afterwards. hit it with some ice and calmed it down.

Later did a 3 mile warmup on my tri bike and did 8 rounds of tabata followed by a 3 mile cooldown. This didn't feel like too much of a workout because it was a so short. But again my knee was tight and sore afterwards. Although it didn't hurt when i was actually riding.

While I don't look forward to the downtime from cycling and running I don't have any major races on my schedule for a bit.

did a swim this morning with a pull buoy no kicking. Just trying to get ahead of the knee injury if possible. I did a lot of drill work. catch, drag, shark, hesitate, fist, 1 finger, 2 finger, 3 finger. My catch actually felt a lot better after that so i went back to the fist to catch drill a few times. Did the drills in 100s. I swam for an hour but I didn't count laps or distance.

CF - decided to bench press. I haven't done that in awhile. used dumbbells to work on the shoulder stabilization.

30 x 15

40 x 15

50 x 10

60 x 10

70 x 5

80 x fail

70 x 1 fail on 2

60 x 5

70 x 2 fail on 3

60 x 5

70 x 3

60 x 5

70 x 4

60 x 5

70 x 5

80 x fail

swim - 500 of drills to warmup 100s of catch, drag, fist, shark and hesitate then

6x25's - 10 second rest

5 x 50 - 15 second rest

4 x 75 - 20- second rest

3 x 100 - 25 second rest

2 x 125 - 30 second rest

1 x 150

500 of drills to cooldown. same set as above.

used a pull buoy the whole time. It is interesting to try to swim fast without kicking. I liked this workout though.

cf - barbell bent over rows

45x10

50x10

55x10

60x10

65x10

70x10

75x5

80x5

85x5

90x5 - form was starting to go with this set i wasn't staying bent over enough

75x5

75x5

75x5

75x5

75x5

Strict Pullups - mostly because I wanted to stretch out my chest after all the benching yesterday. A little sore. My abs are almost over being sore from the GHDs but it still stings to sneeze or cough.

5 x 2 skinny purple bands

5 x 2 skinny purple bands

3 x 1 purple band

2 x 1 purple band

5 w 2 purple band

5 w 1 blue band

I will do a real pullup workout and a dip workout in the next few days.

I called to make an appointment with my ortho doctor to have him look at me knee today. Haven't heard back yet. But i did hear from the bike shop that my r3 is ready. so sad i won't be able to even ride it!

Had a longer swim session than I normally do this morning but it was a good one.

500 of drills to warmup - 100 of catch, drag, shark, hesitate and fist

then the following ladder all on 30 seconds rest while using a pull buoy

1 x 400 - 7.07

2 x 300 - 5.20, 5.20

3 x 200 - screwed 2 of these up by an extra 50 each 4.37, 4.36, 3.37

4 x 100 - 1.46, 1.46,1.47,1.47

3 x 200 - 4.38, 3.46, 3.46 screwed 1 of these up by an extra 50

2 x 300 - 5.50, 5.41

1 x 400 - 7.32

i don't know what;s so hard about counting 8 laps really. My times slowed down as the workout progressed. I never found myself aerobically challenged but my left shoulder was feeling weird and it did seem more effort to pull as i got tired. All of the upper b ody strength work combined with the daily swimming im sure. I put ice on my shoulder after the workout just to be on the safe side. Strange thing is that isn't my surgical shoulder. I also noticed it seemed weaker when i was benching the other day too. Ill have to keep an eye on it.

cf workout - did a little pullup wod

strict dead hang pullups

got a 5 unassisted pullups in but they were all in sets of 1 but it's a start.

the arms arn't really fresh these days anyway.

etra small purple band reps - 2, 4,4,4,4

2 purple bands for 5

small blue band 5,5,5,5

Dry-land swim pull with resistance tubing - 2 sets of 10 each side

I got to pickup my new road bike today. It is a Cervelo R3 with Sram Red comps and Speedplay pedals. Got the womens handlebars and a fisik vesta saddle put on. It's a really sweet ride. I got to cruise it around a bit to test the fit etc before taking it home. I really wish my knee was healed now so i could take Micah for a spin. That's right Caballo Blanco baby for you Born to Run fans!

Supposed to do an open water lake swim tomorrow morning with some friends in the lovely Harvey's lake. I really hope it isn't as gross as last year but i am suspecting that it is!

another long swim day today. this time in open water. Hit Harvey's lake with some friends for a 2.5 miler. I wore my wetsuit as that lake is kinda gross and the water isn't that warm. I swam most of it by myself as most of these guys are faster than am I and the others decided to do a shorter course. Tried to work on my drafting when i was with them and then my sighting when I wasn't. Took over an hour.

here is a link to one of the guys race reports on IM Florida. my favorite line is

Any athlete who has done an Ironman race can agree that to finish the distance is impossible without expressing yourself with the following words: fuck, shit, damn, bitch, hell and motherfucker.

http://www.trifuel.com/forum/24878/imfl-rr-some-explicit-language

My knee still isn't good. I am really starting to wonder if this isn't a plica. I've been reading up on various knee conditions and it mostly sounds like this. The onset is usually some acute trauma and then a repetitive aggravation of it. Kinda like sounds like the car accident and training/racing tris to me. I think this because when i get up in the morning it is usually better and then it just gets worse probably as it gets irritated. also when i ice it. It feels great after that. for awhile anyway. I havent been taking nsaids since eagleman but i am thinking about it because they do make it feel a lot better. I don't really want them for the pain but if they are actually bringing down the inflammation then they would be helpful. it is just so friggin stiff!

I am taking the day off from crossfit as i went 6 days in a row since placid. and the later part of the week has been all upperbody.

Warmup:

500 yards of drills

100s of catch, drag, fist, shark & hesitate

100 yds @ 70 effort 1.48

2 x 100 @ 75 effort 1.45 1. 43

3 x 100 @ 80 effort 1.42 1. 38 1.39

4 x 100 @ 90 effort 1.41 1.43 1.42 1.42

5 x 100 @ all out effort 1.40 1.40 1.40 1.40 1.40

All on 20 seconds rest.

Cooldown – Same as warmup

I did a bad job at pacing out these efforts based on the time. My left shoulder was weird again. I think it is just overworked from all of the swimming and upper body lifting this week.

Cf

Started doing some more upper body lifting but I felt more taxed on these lifts than I should have so I switched to ab work.

Shoulder press – dumbbells – 20 lbs x 10

Chair Dips x 10

Shoulder press – dumbbells – 30 lbs x 10

Chair Dips x 10

Shoulder press – dumbbells – 40 lbs x 10

Chair Dips x 10

Hollow Rocks - 3 rounds of 1 minute on 1 minute off! The Torture!

5 Sets of 20 kickups on 1 minute rest

5 sets of 10 hanging leg lifts

5 sets of 10 grounded leg lifts

I’ll ice the shoulder down later (in addition to the knee) and try to totally give it a rest day tomorrow and hopefully that will get it relaxed.

had a light training day on the schedule today. Mostly because I wanted to rest my left shoulder. it's been a little weird with all of the swimming and upper body strength work I've been doing. I actually just slept in this morning because i was tired and didn't feel like getting out of bed. Did 30 minutes of 1 leg biking on the trainer. I got to use my new r3 although not really able to take advantage of that since it was on the trainer.

I found out that I qualified for the USAT Age Group National Championships for the Olympic distance. They are on August 20th in Burlington, Vermont. That is 8 weeks away so not a lot of time to get my knee healed up and get ready for the race but I am going to do everything that I can to get there. I made a doctors appointment with my regular doctor for thursday morning to have him check out the knee and give me his thoughts since i couldn't get in with my ortho for a few weeks. Hopefully he will have good news for me. Now that i am taking the drugs and icing my knee as much as possible it is improving but i know it is still at the point where if i stopped doing these things and started training again it would hurt. I decided to register for the VT because if i am healthy I am going to want to go to that race and if i am not at least i know that i gave it my best shot to get there. I qualified on the independence tri I did as a warmup before eagleman. Interesting how these things work out sometimes. I didn't have the race I wanted at eagleman but at least something good came out of this whole process. I raced well that day and I need to race with that mindset again. I remember telling Jay before the race that I was going to win it and what I needed my time to be to do and I came within seconds of both. Could have been luck but more likely it was focus. Something I felt I lost at eagleman. I just had too many things going on in my mind that day. I have to say this coming up is making me focus more on getting this knee healed up as fast as possible. Obviously i can't make my body heal any faster but i think it will keep me from doing something stupid. or at least i would like to hope so.

When I got up this morning my knee was the best it has been yet and that is encouraging. Either is it healing up or the drugs are just blocking the pain or maybe both. either way I will take it. I also iced my shoulder last nite too.

Swim - 1,000 of drills 2 sets of 100s of catch, drag, fist, shark and hesitate. Then 1,000 as 100 hard 100 easy. I actually really like this workout. My shoulder was still feeling strained in the pool. Not painful but tired. cooldown - 100 of elementary back stroke. The most relaxing swim stroke there is!

cf wod -

using a set of kettlebells for 5 rounds of 5 reps each

shoulder press - using 18s

Rows - using 18, 26 & 35

6 rounds of 25 reps each of

10 LB Med Ball situps with throw - touched ball overhead and at top of situp through it against a wall

10 Lb Med ball seated Twists (touching ball to ground onf each side of body 25 each side for 50 total per round)

6 rounds of 25 seated leg lifts

My knee didn't feel quite as good afterwards. not painful but it felt like it has a popping to it when i was walking. back to the ice!

I have my doctors appointment for my knee tomorrow morning. I don't know how much I will find out as this guy isn't an ortho. that appointment is in a few weeks but Ill see what comes of it if anyway.

swim 500 of drills to warmup - 100s of catch, drag, fist, shark and hesitate. then 2 - 15 minute TT's on 2 minutes rest

1 - 33 laps - 825 yards

2 - 34 laps - 850 yards

still swimming with the pull buoy to rest the knee

25 of elementary back stroke and then another 500 of drills same set as above

decided to do a 30 minute 1 legged bike on the trainer instead of a cf wod today because the shoulders are cooked and with a double swim workout tomorrow thought this would be a better idea. went 15, 8, 4,3. done.

100 leg lifts as 30,30,20,20

Went to the doctor today and he thinks I have a bone contusion of my knee. I was sent for rays and so far no news is good news. I am already doing everything I would need to heal this. If the diagnosis is correct it is just a matter of time. I am really starting to get antsy to really train again especially to ride my bike. hopefully it will be healed sooner rather than later.

swim #1 - 500 of drills to warmup then 1,000 as 50 hard 50 easy. I love this workout! I was crushing the hard 50s. I was trying to be good and take it easy on the easy 50s. For the most part I think I did because I was really able to sprint the hard ones. did 500 of drills to cool down. my knee was feeling really good this morning so i wanted to test it out in the pool by using it to kick. Did a 25. Didn't feel great so I did my workout and then tried to kick for a 50. It doesn't hurt but it still has the weird blocked feeling so I decided to just let it rest.

Swim #2 - 1,000 of drills then 500 TT - 8.19 somewhat happy with the time. I was using a pull buoy but i am not flip turning and i only push off the wall with my good leg. did 200 of drills to cooldown.

the shoulders are just tight and tired. I am stretching and icing them.

Got my rays of the knee back. There is nothing broken, fractured or chipped which is a good thing but there is a effusion of the joint. which means i have water on my knee. probably why my joint feel so restricted and hard to move most of the time. Told me to continue the conservative care as the treatement is pretty much what i have already been doing unless it doesn't resolve itself in a few weeks.

saturdays workouts

warmup: 500 Drills - 35 minutes TT - cooldown 500 drills - Counted 76 laps during the TT. I felt like i was in a good rhythm. It could have been more i am not the best at counting laps when it is that many.

20 minute 1 leg on bike trainer

100 leg lifts. i read the leg lifts are good for my knee problem so i am throwing them in when i can.

sunday - 2+ miles of open water swimming. it was raining while we were in the water and we had to cut the swim a bit short because it was lightening. not by much though. i was really tired when i got up this morning. just didn't sleep well last night between fireworks and then thnuderstorms. i never felt like i really got it going in the water today. I went the distance but it didn't feel like one of my better swims.

my knee still hurts i am trying to ice and elevate it when possible.

taking a full on rest day for the 4th. back at the double tomorrow. mostly because of the injury. i just want to see if the full rest day really helps it. The ice and elevation do seem to be working.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

the dark thoughts cometh

swim workout - 500 of drills to warmup then

100,200,300, 400, 500 on 20 seconds rest. i had more of a 30 second rest on my the 500 because i had to fi my watch.

then 500 of drills to cooldown.

still using a pull buoy.

100 - 1.35

200 - 3.28

300 - 5.11

400 - 6.51

500 - 8.38 (the watch said 8.19 but i think it was wrong i must have bumped it)

CF Wod

10 rounds of

10 pushups

2 standing ab rollouts

1 minute plank hold

time 18:28

By round 5 the 1 minute plank hold was just torture! There was some medieval sounds escaping my body. But i made it through it. tougher wod that I thought going into it.

starting to have the bad thoughts today about riding my bike or running. it's been hard to be down waiting for this knee to heal up. i know it isn't ready for it yet and i will probably make it hurt but anytime it starts to feel better i just want to test it out! trying to control myself but it is rough.

started reading macca's book.

bike - right leg only on trainer - 30 minutes of 1 min on 1 min off. the knee was feeling good this morning and i was really wanting to test it out on the bike but i was a good girl and didn't and that was tough. At this point I don't want to do anything that is going to set this process back. My knee is feeling better than it did but it is not ready to go yet and i know it. basically but it is not completely symptom free all of the time yet. But the good news is that there are times when it is so that is much better than where it was at when it basically hurt to breathe.

cf wod - AMRAP 20 minutes of

10 Overhead Press @ 35

10 leg lifts

got 18 rounds.

I warmed up using 45 lb but i know that wasn't going to be able to keep that moving for the whole 20 minutes i ended up doing less weight and it was a good decision. the first 5 minutes i was flying through the wod and i was pumped because i wanted to get 20 rounds. I was doing pretty well through 10 minutes. after 10 minutes the rounds started taking me longer to complete and the last 3 or 4 minutes was really rough on the shoulders. but 2 really good wods 2 days in a row to be happy about.

the following is from terenzo bozzone's blog and it really hit home with me so i am reposting it to my blog. Basically because I have been beating myself up about this injury. I hate being stuck home with ice on my knee while it is gorgeous weather and the actual racing season is here. i have been missing races I would have done had I not being injured and I am also not even going out and doing fun training on my bike or running. overall it is not a good deal. but it is what it is and i don't have to like it.

In injury strikes, there is no quick fix, or short cut to recovery. Simple as that. Each injury needs to be seen by a professional and treated appropriately. Doing so will result in the best way to recovery.

There now I have got that off my chest, time to talk about what I want to talk about.

Knowing the above is important. Being told to rest when rest is needed is tough for those where exercise and pushing our body to the limits is as much a part of us as the blood flowing through our veins. This drive in the sporting arena is what is needed to be the best, but it is also what causes us to make poor choices when an injury is involved.

If you are reading this blog, then the message I am trying to get across to you is to beware of that tunnel vision drive towards your goal.

How many times do you see athletes overtraining, running despite being told not to, pushing beyond professional advice. We have all done, I have done it. Do we think we are smarter than the sports doctor/physio telling us we can’t run for 2 weeks, no, but it’s our drive that leads us to ignore the advice and ask too much of our body.

You may have gotten away with doing so once, maybe twice, but your are walking a fine line, are you seriously willing to risk your dreams over a poor choice when it came to listening to advice from a professional.

We all wish we were bullet proof, at times we think we are, but we are not. Realising this can be tough, but once we accept that to achieve our goals we need to look after our body (physically and mentally!)

Yes it’s a setback having to take a month or more off running, maybe miss your next race. But in the long scheme of things I would rather do that, get my injury fully recovered so I can push to the limits again and reach my goal. The other option is, train through the injury, do things that you have been advised not to. Why not race the race despite the pain. Firstly you will never achieve what you want to achieve this way, and at some point the injury will catch up with you, and by this time you have turned a 1 month recovery process into a yearlong process or even ruined your chance for good.

I know what you are thinking, I have heard this all before. You should have, but I’m telling you again. We are a mentally tough and driven breed us sporting athletes so to think clearly when it comes to injury we need to have this idea drilled into our brain, so when that decision comes to know when to stop and listen to the advice, we take it!

I feel like I’m almost telling you off whilst writing this blog if you are someone that can relate to this scenario, and I believe almost all of us can. I don’t wish to do so, but I am passionate about this topic and its importance, and I hate to dreams lost, goals never reached, bodies broken down to a fragment of what they could have been all due a poor decision with regards to injuries.

Yes it is easier said than done. On a personal note, I myself have an Achilles injury, and many of us no how serious these can be. I have just had a month off no running, and it has been hard to deal with. But I am aware of the importance in proper recovery, and at the same time am aware that proper treatment will mean I can reach my goal of becoming the Ironman World Champion in the future. There is still a longer road to recovery for my Achilles, but I will get though it and have it back to 100% in no time. I am also lucky to still be able to swim and bike so ill be working hard in those areas.

Good luck, train smart, recover when needed, and make smart choices.

woke up to really sore arms this morning and it was a swim day on top of that.

1,000 of drills to warmup then 8 x 100s on 20 seconds rest

1 - 1.35

2 - 1.37

3 - 1.37

4 - 1.40

5 - 1.40

6 - 1.41

7 - 1.41

8 - 1.41

still using the pull buoy.

Was supposed to do a pushups pullup wod today but my arms were way to sore. I could barely pull my hair back into a ponytail without whimpering. so i came up with bikini barbara

5 rounds for time of

20 kickups

30 jacknives (in and outs)

40 hollow rocks ( everytime the foot hits its a rep)

50 leg lifts

rest 3 minutes

1 - 5.33

2 - 4.22

3 - 4.23

4 - 4.24

5 - 4.24

i think my abs were still sore from the 10 minute plank hold wod from the other day and it took me that first round of suffering to get them moving a bit. all of the rounds were tough. by the last one it just felt really ugly and i bet it sounded the same.

the knee felt great this morning when i got up. i think the jacknives may have irritated it a little because it is weird again. every morning when i wake up and it is good I get excited but by the end of the day it never stays good.

arms are still sore today! Althought not as bad. I think they should be good for swimming tomorrow. had a short bike to start the day did 5 minute easy to warmup with 1 leg on the trainer then did a 9 minute TT (right leg only). followed with a 2 minute cooldown. I can't wait to really ride my bike for real!

Cf wod -

AMRAP - 10 minutes

8 Kettlebell Swings @ 35 lbs

4 V-Ups with 10 Lb Medicine Ball

Completed 12 rounds.

I picked this wod because my arms were still to shot to be doing pullups etc. I went light on the Kettlebell swing weight because it was my first time doing them with the knee and they went well so that is nothing but happiness for me! They actually felt easy the whole way. Not so much with the Weighted V-ups! V-ups are when you take a medicine ball with your hand and feet together at the top and touch the ball overhead to the ground while lowering your legs to the ground then you bring the ball up while bringing your legs back up to the center and you pass the ball to in between your feet and you lower them to the ground again before bringing them back up to the center and pass the ball to your hands to complete. Having the weight between my feet I felt it in my knee a bit. It wasn't a pain probably just because i was stabilizing it. by the end of the wod those were tough. But I am really happy with the way my knee held up so far today. maybe things are getting better. even if i can't run or ride for a bit if i can get more crossfit moves in i will be happy. I have been doing air squats as a warmup without any problems also. But I am not doing a lot of volume or going for speed on them as I would if they were in a wod.

I saw the participants list for the national championship today and i found it funny that when you register you have to put on what you expect your finish time to be. I went conservative on my time and I have one of the slowest listed! lol! I really hope my knee heals up and I get to do this race. They are taking the top 18 in each age group to world championship with a rolldown after that to 25 if people decline. I have a feeling its going to be a really competitive and fun race. And we're swimming in lake champlain!

weekend work so far - swim - 500 of drills to warmup. then did a 100 kicking to test out the knee. it did ok but decided to swim m TT using the pull buoy anyway since it isn't completely perfect no need to aggravate it. 35 minute TT - at least 74 laps. I got confused counting laps. Did 6 laps as a cooldown with kicking again.

Took my new R3 out for a little joy ride yesterday. Mostly to test out the knee. for the first 20 - 25 minutes i felt nothing in the knee. I picked out the flatest course I could. The following 20 minutes there was a sensation in the knee not really pain more of an awareness. had to climb a hill to get back to my place and the knee doesn't like the climbing. Overall it survived and did ok but it isn't quite ready yet. i think there is still fluid in it. Still using the ice and resting when possible. I got back to my regular doctor on thursday. But my ortho appt isn't until the 20th. Not sure what Im going to do besides rest it.

Open Water - Lake Swim this morning. - 2+miles. Felt like this was most consistent swim at that distance pace wise. I was able to keep people in sight and not really have to stop to sight as much.

Ab workout - 1 minute plank 50 situps 50 crunches 1 minute plank

The knee was pretty good this morning. Decided to use it a bit on my bike trainer wod to see how it responded. Did a 10 minute warmup easy gear with both legs. Then 12 minutes of 45 seconds on 15 seconds off with my right leg only. Followed by a 10 minute cooldown easy gear again both legs. My knee felt fine through all of this. But it was more like a rehab kinda of effort than real training but at this point just being able to use it I’ll take. I go back to the regular doctors on Thusday. Not sure if I still need an MRI. It doesn’t still hurt to kneel on it but overall it is much better. My Ortho appt isn’t untilthe 20th. I’ll wait to see how the knee is before I decide If I should go to these appointments. I am still icing and using the Nsaids.

Crossfit wod – 21- 15- 9 of

Pullups

Pushups

Time 5:30

I warmed up doing regular pull-ups 15 or so with a extra small purple band but I could tell that was going to take me a really long time to use for the wod. So I used the small blue band for the wod. No problems with the pushups.

My biggest compliant of the day is my hands and feet have a ton of little cuts on them from the rocks in the lake yesterday. I few bruises too. For such small cuts they really hurt. I am hoping they heal fast.

yeah chewy it isn't fun. maybe ill throw some benching in just for you!

Swim – 1,000 of drills to warmup. Did a 100 just to test out the knee to see if I was going to swim or use the pull buoy. I decided to swim as it was pretty good.

Did 26 - 25s on 15 seconds rest. Jeff was nice enough to do this with me so he was responsible for counting the reps and watching the times so I could just focus on swimming. It’s a good system for me. Jeff said they were taking up 18 – 20 seconds to swim them. Swam 200 – 300 to cool down.

Cf wod – wanted to test my knee a bit so I did some step ups and walking lunges. It is greatly improved from where it was but not completely right yet as much I want it to be. It just isn’t quite there yet.

AMRAP – 9 minutes of

7 Wall balls at 10lbs

5 GHD situps

Got 10 rounds – 4 were done as proper wallballs going to the 10ft line, 6 were done as seated situp wallballs because I didn’t like the way the knee was feeling during the wallballs. I used a 10 Lb ball because I had a feeling I was going to end up doing them seated which I did. The ghds went well. Overall this was an easy wod because it was so short. Ididn’t get the point where I was totally wasted because it was over in 9 minutes.

Dry Land Swim Cable Pulls

3 sets of 15 reps each arm

1 Leg Hip Lifts – 4 sets of 15 each leg– Rehab exercise for the knee – basically a hamstring strengthener

I’ve also been doing my foot/ lower leg exercises to strength up my feet and loosen up my lower legs. Hopefully when I get back to running this will make a difference.