In a Life or Death situation...

RobertSupreme

Would you eat Meat if locked in a room for 2 months and that's all there was available?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks everyone for responding to this! Had a good laugh reading some of your answers ha!

Richard wrote:

What is considered to be evidence by people who believe in ghosts / souls, is not considered to be evidence by people who don't believe in ghosts / souls. So these types of conversations ultimately come to that dead end, and there's not much more to say usually, and then it often becomes hostile. That's why I'm probably not going to say much more here, I've never changed anyone's mind on the subject. People's opinions on this come from their fundamental beliefs about the universe, and that's hard to alter especially just in a conversation

Either way, I'm eating that stupid penguin.

Believe it or not, Cap'n Assumption, I had access to the Internet before your post today at 11:45AM. There's even a possibility I had already googled before asking you for evidence and sources, just to make sure there aren't any common and reputable ones.

So you are saying that you possibly pre-researched the topic before I made my post? Either you did or didnt.The fact that you are being so vague indicates the truthfullness of your comment.

"Google for 'past life regression'" is not a source; it's a cop-out. If you make a wild assertion, the onus is on you to provide evidence for it. Please provide a specific source.

My specific source is personal, but I looked further into the subject by using the internet & books.You actually want me to hold your hand & explain it for you? Maybe I could come over to your house, google it myself, & then narrate the results to you?

Bruce, my original post was aimed at a couple of people who, like me, remain open minded about things like this.They & I have a genuine interest in things like that.If you have a genuine interest, then look into it yourself.Dont come on here, posting on the topic if you dont even have the inclination to read anything about it.What strikes me as funny is that you clearly dont believe or have any real interest in past lives & yet you are still trying to engage in a discussion with me about - why are you wasting your own time?

Hilary wrote:

7 of my personalities would eat the penguin, the others would Google them as proof of their existance.

Hilary (raw toast man) - Once again your contribution to a topic is a simple joke at the expense of someone else.Wow - intelligent.

As I have said before, I have never actually seen you make a serious post on any topic, & again I challenge you to actually give your opinion, rather than attempt to belittle someone.Do you have any opinions of your own about any of the topics raised on this forum?

The last time I asked you to give a serious opinion on a topic, you simply stopped posting altogether.Are you going to be cowardly enough again to avoid doing it here?

Believe it or not, Cap'n Assumption, I had access to the Internet before your post today at 11:45AM. There's even a possibility I had already googled before asking you for evidence and sources, just to make sure there aren't any common and reputable ones.

So you are saying that you possibly pre-researched the topic before I made my post? Either you did or didnt.The fact that you are being so vague indicates the truthfullness of your comment.

No, my vagueness indicates the sarcasm of my comment. I really did do the research beforehand.

"Google for 'past life regression'" is not a source; it's a cop-out. If you make a wild assertion, the onus is on you to provide evidence for it. Please provide a specific source.

My specific source is personal, but I looked further into the subject by using the internet & books.You actually want me to hold your hand & explain it for you? Maybe I could come over to your house, google it myself, & then narrate the results to you?

So you don't actually have a valid, scientific source. Understood.

Bruce, my original post was aimed at a couple of people who, like me, remain open minded about things like this.They & I have a genuine interest in things like that.If you have a genuine interest, then look into it yourself.Dont come on here, posting on the topic if you dont even have the inclination to read anything about it.What strikes me as funny is that you clearly dont believe or have any real interest in past lives & yet you are still trying to engage in a discussion with me about - why are you wasting your own time?

If your post is aimed at just a couple of people, PM them. You stated as fact in a public forum that we have souls that animate us and that past lives are real. If you don't want those statements to be challenged, make them in private. Or state them as opinions. I have a genuine interest in skepticism and trying to make sure that veganism isn't associated with wacky, baseless ideas, so I certainly don't consider it a waste of my time to point out that what you're saying has no evidence behind it.

Hilary wrote:

7 of my personalities would eat the penguin, the others would Google them as proof of their existance.

Hilary (raw toast man) - Once again your contribution to a topic is a simple joke at the expense of someone else.Wow - intelligent.

As I have said before, I have never actually seen you make a serious post on any topic, & again I challenge you to actually give your opinion, rather than attempt to belittle someone.Do you have any opinions of your own about any of the topics raised on this forum?

The last time I asked you to give a serious opinion on a topic, you simply stopped posting altogether.Are you going to be cowardly enough again to avoid doing it here?

Why is it that some people think that others should conform to their expectations?

Bruce, you say that it is up to me to prove my theory.But that is not how it works.

Science begins with a theory.Usually by a personal observation or opinion.That person will then make a case for their theory (not prove it!)

Hence the "theory of relativity" or "big bang theory"

And that is precisely what I have done:

I cannot offer any physical proof because we are talking about a memory.I cannot actually bring back an artifact from the past.But I can make a case based on my personal experience, & that of many other people.One proponent of past lives is the Dalai Lama, who is certainly an honest person.

And yet by discounting all these reports & all these people youare saying that they are either mistaken or liars! What you could do is look into it a little more in depth.

I guess it depends on your perspective.If you mistrust all that personal testimony, then there is nothing more I can do.If you have the insight to realise that only one of these cases needs to be true, to prove that people reincarnate, then you are on to the right track, in my opinion.

I think its a shame that you have come into this thread, & questioned/criticised me for my belief, when you only have a passing interest in the topic under discussion, & are unwilling to really look into it.When I see a topic on this forum that I know nothing about, I will either enter it humbly, with an open mind, or move on to a topic I can add something of value to.But you did not do that.I believe you brought nothing of value to the topic, infact you brought nothing but negativity & an argument to it, which is a shame because prior to your comments it was a topic in good spirit. To prop up this argument/discussion you started with me, you actually suggested that you had pre-researched the subject of past lives, before I had even posted on it.That comment from you is silly & you let yourself down, when you could have simply admitted your fault.

acesfull:

i dont think anyone is going to provide substantial scientific proof that the soul exists. for me, thats part of what makes asking the question so interesting

I totally agree.

I think its more interesting if you discuss it with people who are open minded!

I mentioned the Dalai Lama earlier but didnt really go into detail.Apparently, each Dalai Lama is actually the spirit of the previous one, & as such each one shares the knowledge of the previous ones.Each Dalai Lama is not chosen by bloodline or nobilty.The Tibetan mystics are led to a new born baby by some un-specified process.They take the belongings of the previous Dalai Lama with them & show them to the baby.They also take some brightly coloured toys to see if the child will choose its own things, over the toys.The current Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso mentions having specific memories about one of his previous lives, which he then researched & found to be uncannily accurate.

Pretty interesting stuff!

Edited by DaN

Bruce, you say that it is up to me to prove my theory.But that is not how it works. Science begins with a theory.Usually by a personal observation or opinion.That person will then make a case for their theory (not prove it!)

Hence the "theory of relativity" or "big bang theory"

And that is precisely what I have done:

*sigh* No, it's not. Dan, if you had phrased it as a theory, we wouldn't be in this discussion. But you didn't. Your statements below are worded as if they were facts. They contain no conditions or qualifications.

"[W]e also have a soul, which animates us & gives us our identity."

"No scientific evidence exists to support the idea of a soul because the soul is not made of physical material."

There's a difference.

I think its a shame that you have come into this thread, & questioned/criticised me for my belief, when you only have a passing interest in the topic under discussion, & are unwilling to really look into it.When I see a topic on this forum that I know nothing about, I will either enter it humbly, with an open mind, or move on to a topic I can add something of value to.

And when you see a topic you think you know something about, you'll jump in and assert metaphysics as fact?

To prop up this argument/discussion you started with me, you actually suggested that you had pre-researched the subject of past lives, before I had even posted on it.That comment from you is silly & you let yourself down, when you could have simply admitted your fault.

No, I suggested I researched the subject after I initially asked you for evidence, which, of course, was after your first post on past lives. I even gave you the timings. Believe it or not, it doesn't take precognition to expect one of the first things someone is going to do when I ask them for evidence is to go to Google. And it certainly doesn't take any measure of brilliance to realize I should pre-emptively do the same to be prepared for what you come back with. It's debate 101. You try to anticipate the opposing argument.

*sigh* No, it's not. Dan, if you had phrased it as a theory, we wouldn't be in this discussion. But you didn't. Your statements below are worded as if they were facts. They contain no conditions or qualifications.

Fair point. I could put imo at the end of it.But wouldnt we all be putting it at the end of pretty much everything we write? I think you can assume with everything I write I am willing to be wrong.I dont mind admitting fault.

Something I really hope you will do in future when you are cornered like you were about having pre-researched the topic, which we both know you did not.I dont expect you to admit this now though, because you have gone too far with it.To be honest, even if you had googled it for however long (which you still havn't specified) it couldnt have been more than a day, & that is verifiable from the fact that the subject was not raised at all until a day ago! Even at which point you would still not have been able to absorb enough information to be as sure & critical of me as you are.You can't form a valid opinion on something, that you can be sure of, in a day.Life is too complex for that.

Its obvious that you mistrust my testimony, & that of all others with past life memories.Thats your right man.Just try to be more polite about it.Right from the start, you could have said "I think you are all talking rubbish & are crazy, but I am willing to admit I dont know enough to really be sure" You could respectfully disagree.I hope you will do that next time.