soy steaks and seitan instead of protein powder?

lelle

We constantly have these types of discussions on this forum because we have a few bodybuilders/figure competitors and a lot of people interested in "fitness" - I really don't know what that word means. Obviously, a bodybuilder's diet will look different than the average person interested in fitness. This problem doesn't occur on omni boards because there are no websites dedicated to "omni bodybuilding and fitness." There are enough omni bodybuilders that their forums are large enough to support a membership devoted entirely to bodybuilding.

I'm not a bodybuilder and I think this is an excellent point. The domain name is "veganbodybuilding.com". I think the "and fitness" part was added after the effect to get more people and be friendly. I try to post on topic. It is good to have these reminders.

I think it's important (as I've previously stated in numerous threads) that people know what's good for your muscles often isn't good for your overall longterm health. When knowing that people can make their own choices regarding their diet and what they think is the most important thing. And that choice shouldn't be questioned on this forum the way that it is today.

I think it's important (as I've previously stated in numerous threads) that people know what's good for your muscles often isn't good for your overall longterm health. When knowing that people can make their own choices regarding their diet and what they think is the most important thing. And that choice shouldn't be questioned on this forum the way that it is today.

Well said, Johan. I use processed proteins only on extremely rare occasions now for health reasons, but I don't make it a quest to try to get others to stop using them. I build just as well on whole foods as with protein powders, but I know this isn't true for others. It seems rather selfish of me to try to get someone to stop using them who actually gains better with them. Even Dr. Fuhrman, whose diet style I follow closely, says it is fine to consume a maximum of 10% of your daily calories from non-nutrient dense foods, such as candy or isolated protein powders. I bet that most who use protein powders don't exceed that 10% mark.

I think, as DV said, that what has an adverse effect on one person is fine for another. Again, it has to be up to the individual to decide what works and is acceptable for them. I have maintained a high protein/low carb diet (using protein powders on a nearly daily basis) for 44 years. (yes, since I was 11). I am still in good health and don't suffer from "protein poisening". But that is what seems to be working for me. Chacun à son goût . . .

I don't get it why would protein powders age us or be detrimental to our health? Does this apply to the raw vegan powders like sunwarrior also?

If you're refuring to Hilary and my previous posts? It's nothing more than just a couple of young studs kidding each other. lol

Youngster Joe and I have a running joke about our age . . . Joe is much younger and better looking.

As to the protein issue . . . there are many schools of thought as to daily %, raw, cooked, isolates etc, etc, etc . . . many people feel that concentrates are bad for your health, or that anything over 10-15% of total calories is unhealthy. I am simply saying whatever works for you. I have maintained a minimum of 25-35% daily protein intake for over 40 years and have used protein concentrates almost daily. So far, I am very healthy and people tell me I don't look a day over 55.