hi

RoyCarlson

I'm not surprised your dissatisfied and restless Roy, especially since you clearly have passions in health and fitness. Have you thought much about doing teaching sports or something?

I'm not really in a position to give advice because I'm 17 and don't have a clue what I want to do for a living yet, (vaguely thinking of being a fireman though) all I can say is find a way to incorporate what you're passionate about into your work (if possible) if not then save your sanity! Switching to a new career that interests you would be worth so much more, even if starting out on lower pay I guess.

I'm currently working standing in a shop selling chocolate, newspapers and magazines full of crap, and cigarettes

Not meaning to hijack the thread or anything but to those that also reply could you say a bit about what you do for money? (Long as you're comfortable obv) Bodybuilding must be time consuming and I'm curious what everyone does. (I'm sure you are as well Roy?)

Cool!

I'll find a way to make it work though. I have to.

Yeah it must be serious making decisions like that with so many responsibilities but with that attitude I'm sure you'll prevail. (...Is it me or does nearly everyone on this forum have the 'glass half full' mindset???*)

*i.e. The correct mindset

I know exactly where you are coming from with this, as I feel the same way.

I sit at a computer all day (I work as a spatial analyst) with the only exercise I get being, when I take the stairs to go

to another floor for a meeting or a chat.

I'd really like to do something different, I'm tired of this line of work, but I have experience in this field, and depend on the

money that this gets me.

I'm currently saving for a house, so I've sort of put any ideas of a career change on hold....

Hi Roy, I'm in the DC area as well . . . my wife is a personal trainer in Pilates and Gyrotonics. This is her at work (http://www.corestudiosinc.com/gyrotonic.html). She makes a good living. Specialized equipment is still doing well even in this economy, as many of her clients are wealthy. Most Gyrotonic and Pilates trainers are female, so the male teachers are in demand. Certification in Pilates is easier than in Gyrotonics.

I work in video production . . . I have my own company so I can usually make my own schedule.

Edited by hilary wright

I will ask my wife about the certification courses in this area . . . I think that you might want to get certified for both mat and equipment . . . this can give one a broader client base. Many gyms have mat Pilates, but the equipment Pilates sessions earn you more money. Do be careful of Body College certification courses (Bodymind) . . . although quick, inexpensive and short, they are a somewhat flakey organization. You might wat to try a Gyrotonics session as well to see if it interests you as well.

@hilary

Thank you so much. I actually just ordered a Denise Austin Pilates VHS tape (.01+2.99 shipping!) off of Amazon just to bring myself back to speed and to incorporate it into my workouts. From what I read this is actually a good Denise Austin video. I've come a long way to admit that I'm watching a Denise Austin video...

Gyrotonics looks intriguing. I've been interested in using circular training ever since I read about clubbells. I think I'll take a class or two soon.

I had a desk job and hated it. I could even feel my body breaking down from it - my knees hurt, my back hurt. But once I went into fitness, those aches went away. I slowly transitioned, getting certified as a personal trainer and fitness instructor and then quit my desk job when I was making enough money from fitness. I teach about 15 classes a week in different gyms (abs, BOSU, boot camp, weight lifting) and have private clients and do fitness writing as well. Men who teach fitness classes are in high demand, so if you have the personality for it, it's a great way to supplement your income when you're building clients and also a great way to attract private clients (and stay in shape!).

I agree with hilary wright - find your niche. Develop your own philosophy that sets you apart. It's great that Pilates inspires you. I love teaching it and the people who take my class say they've never sweated in a Pilates class before and I tell them Joseph pilates was ripped and he created his exercises to be a full-body conditioning program - you're supposed to sweat!

Anyway, good luck to you!

I am on the same path as you. I am supporting my girlfriend through school. Got to much energy to sit at desk all day. Want change. I tried looking into personal trainning but ended up finding if you at a regular club there is no money unless you run it.

Having your own clients is the key. That takes risk though. I tried for certification but it seems like a lot of information to study in 90 days. Usually that is the time you have to get the materials and take the test. I am thinking about the nutrition route. Who knows I am still looking how to get away from sitting all day clicking on a mouse. It drives me nuts!!

Right you are Javier . . . change takes risk! I am still glad I risked my entire life savings and current job to start my own company, though. It was really scarey for the first 7 or 8 years, but has made me very happy. I now love my work, and make my own schedule. (and have time to dance!)

I am sorry to read that so many people are unsatisfied with their work, I really hope that all of you can find something that suits you better.

Roy: Maybe you can work part-time while you take courses and slowly work less and less at your current job while you make a bigger and bigger career as a trainer/instructor. I realize it's not always easy working part time but it was the only idea that came to mind that hasn't already been said.

I think that is awesome Hilary! I am would like to be in your shoes but I guess it takes some maturing and determination to do it.

I think it is like jumping into a cold pool. At first you fear the cold but once your in your not so bad.

Roy:

The tape I suppose is a good starting point . . . but personel training on Pilates equipment (reformer, chair, barrell, etc) rather than just mat classes is where you can make more money. My wife doesn't teach any group matt classes any more, just one on one or duets on the equipment. Adding on to Rain's response, a private personel training facility with specialized equipment is a good way to go. They provide you with private clients. This can also get the majoriety of your work in one location, rather than bouncing from gym to gym doing one class here, one there.

Rain :

You are wrong . . . you have all of the determination, brains, etc you need right now, you just found that the fitness industry is a jungle where you jumped into it. I think that you are figuring it out . . . using nutrition, fitness, and ethics to create your own niche. Look at what Veggieprincess is doing . . . you are extremely creative, so put it to good use!

Roy:

The tape I suppose is a good starting point . . . but personel training on Pilates equipment (reformer, chair, barrell, etc) rather than just mat classes is where you can make more money. My wife doesn't teach any group matt classes any more, just one on one or duets on the equipment. Adding on to Rain's response, a private personel training facility with specialized equipment is a good way to go. They provide you with private clients. This can also get the majoriety of your work in one location, rather than bouncing from gym to gym doing one class here, one there.

Rain :

You are wrong . . . you have all of the determination, brains, etc you need right now, you just found that the fitness industry is a jungle where you jumped into it. I think that you are figuring it out . . . using nutrition, fitness, and ethics to create your own niche. Look at what Veggieprincess is doing . . . you are extremely creative, so put it to good use!

I was going to do the mat training to begin. From the certification facilites I've found they require you to be mat certified first. I will definitely get equipment certified after.

I used to work at a desk job all day. Well actually it was part time, and only 6 hours a day four days a week. But I was so bored I would just get up, I was by myself, and walk around the room. It wasn't that I didn'tlike my job, just that I wantedto do something different. Then last year I finally got my foot in the door at my YMCA. Now I'm on my feet all the time, and with certain feet issues well they hurt a lot! But I love what I do, and I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a few people to train. I wasn't a certified trainer when I was hired, but did obtain my cert through a program that my manager taught, and it was held at the Y that I worked at. Now all I need is some clients, and maybe a group exercise cert and I'll be all set. I completely understand about the money aspect though. The only suggestion i have is that when you're a trainer you can train people anywhere, and you can work more at more than one place. I may start using my skills as a trainer to help my friends,and acquaintances, then go from there, and build up a reputation. The place that I work at has quite a few ex-perienced trainers at the moment and they don't have a need for me yet! But I'm sure when they do that they'll come to me, because they know who where I got my cert.

just thinking about moving back to Europe eventually. The advantage there is I can travel less distance and I will be able to see more. I traveled my whole life. I don't stay in one place long. I guess you can blame my parents for that my dad is a diplomat! I do enjoy seeing the world though!!! Get up and go... But it would take you and your family to be on the same page.