Vegan Vacation IV - July 16-26, 2009 Los Angeles, CA

robert

Well, I have never been to the US. Should take the chance. But there are two things why I have doubts at this moment. First the bad economical situation here (expenisive flight costs) and second my English sucks

What do you think will be the costs during the vacation (hotel, activities, food, etc.)?

I'll think about it anyway.

We the people... here in America dont know how to talk anyway. Just have a picture book of everything you like or want and just open it up, point to the pictures, and smile.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet!

We'll be there for a while

I have lots and lots of vegan friends in L.A. so I'll likely extend my trip for quite some time...I'm also thinking of moving to Venice to train at Venice Gold's everyday and to live in the sun, etc. so I may just be there for a while

Awesome to get more interest in this event.

This is year #4 and lots of good times have been had in the previous 3 years.

Yeah totally, me too!

Getting pumped about this event! Southern California will rock this summer!

Yeah, but when will you have more details about the costs? I don't only mean the hotel. What about activities and food? And who is coming so far for sure?

This sounds really awesome!

Questions:

Can I work 3hrs a day at the booth (that should cover my hotel room/partial food costs)?

Can I bring my sleeping bag and be a 5th roommate in someone's room for even cheaper?

This so-cal party house trip: is it close to LA, or would I have to book a return trip from another airport?

Are there fun excursions already planned (rafting, biking, climbing, etc) or do we just get really spontaneous?

Should we plan to arrive a day early/leave the day after so we don't miss out on any of the fun?

Sorry that I'm being a pest, I'm just actually really considering this trip (and frugal little me does not often do this sort of thing)!

These are all good questions and I have answers....I will answer soon

Yeah, working booth should be no prob for that amount of time.

Still planning events in L.A.

Airport is close by and we'll have rental cars so transportation will be no problem.

I will have more answers soon...out on tour in DC at the moment.

Thanks for your interest!

Would like to work the booth as well as anything possible to help cut costs... That way all the money Im saving for this can be applied to my next chunk of tattoos.. and school! (yikes)

Also seriously considering moving by June... So may move, then turn around come out there, then go back to my new home (wherever thatll be) to job hunt and start classes... lol. what a fun trip!

Psychology with minors in both Dance and Sociology, I will graduate in December (finally )

There will be a vegan vacation next year right?!?!? any thoughts on where it would be?

Yay for graduation! Going straight into graduate school?

VV 2010 should be in Florida.

Now that I'm living on my own nothings going to stop me from attending. So many awesome Vegans. Maybe I'll meet the girl of my dreams on this vacation. .

A few things I need to know( since I am working with a budget as it is and have 600 bucks a month to juggle with the savings, rent for where I'm staying now and food. ).

1. If we can crunch as many people into the single bedrooms as possible during the AR conference, how much will that amount to per person? I'd love to see possibly putting 5 paying Vegans in one room and splitting the payment down to size.

2. How much will the second half of VV amount to per person? I'm looking forward to staying for the entire time( 10-11 days of pure, mind-boggling veganness ).

3. For those of us that either won't be able to afford or don't have car insurance due to not owning a car will there be car pooling vegans?

Now that I'm living on my own nothings going to stop me from attending. So many awesome Vegans. Maybe I'll meet the girl of my dreams on this vacation. .

A few things I need to know( since I am working with a budget as it is and have 600 bucks a month to juggle with the savings, rent for where I'm staying now and food. ).

1. If we can crunch as many people into the single bedrooms as possible during the AR conference, how much will that amount to per person? I'd love to see possibly putting 5 paying Vegans in one room and splitting the payment down to size.

2. How much will the second half of VV amount to per person? I'm looking forward to staying for the entire time( 10-11 days of pure, mind-boggling veganness ).

3. For those of us that either won't be able to afford or don't have car insurance due to not owning a car will there be car pooling vegans?

I'm with you! I'm thinking shove as many vegans as possible into a room with sleeping bags, haha.

I'll second questions 2&3; I'm curious about that too.

I'm soooooclose to buying a plane ticket right now!

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to go! I am signed up for the AR Conference anyways and was going to make it a short trip, but I wouldn't mind staying an extra few days to hang out in Venice and meet more fellow vegans. Please keep me apprised of details and I will check back here again as well. I went to the AR Conference 2 years ago in L.A. and it was totally worth it, which is why I'm planning to go again - very much looking forward to it, and having the Vegan Vacation in conjunction with it is a great idea! I love L.A. - there is so much to see and do there and even just to enjoy the weather when you're used to icky northwest coast rain and cold is a nice break.

This is my first post on this forum and I will bookmark it to hopefully provide as inspiration for getting back into bodybuilding and weightlifting. It's been a long time but I really need to get back into it, and it looks like there is a lot of great support on this board.

Alison

Awesome!

Great to see you on here Alison!

I will have more updates soon.....I am really, really, really trying to reduce my workload and cut down on the projects in my life.

My life is more stressful than I want it to be and it has been for years.

So my plan is to keep things really low key...I'll be at AR anyway...there will be a bunch of forum members there anyway because they live there or will be attending AR already.

I think we'll just hang out, have fun, etc. at the hotel and then if 5-10 of us or more want to, then we'll get a beach house in Venice or even just hotel rooms for a few extra days.

I don't want to put too much work into it ahead of time, especially with low levels of interest.

We just had a 15-member or so gathering in Phoenix for our competition and it was awesome and totally laid back and that is what I'd like to be like in L.A.

I will have more updates soon.......

It'll be a freaking blast !!!!

We had a gathering in Seattle WA last month. It rocked with the 8 of us sharing two rooms. Going to the gym, Seattle Veg Fest and just all goofing around.

Seriously you guys there isn't a dull moment with Robert. I lived with him for almost a year and everything was on the go and there was always stuff to do.

hehe I never got sick of him. Well I might be exaggerating a bit.

There were times that I almost wanted to kill him before he would fly to another Country.

But that was all in fun and that what friends do. Right Dry ?

I could just imagine LA. With the AR conference and a vegan flow. It'll rock !

YB !

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I will still be coming, and I have not backed out. I'm just unsure of how long I'll make the trip for. I'm thinking I might just come for 1 week. I wanted to find out if I can pay for just one day at the AR convention, and how much would that be? Robert are you still looking for extra help at your booths?

Hey Hayley,

Yeah, I'll be there for sure and can use help at the booth. I just returned from LA today and didn't want to leave...I LOVE It there!

There will still be a Vegan Vacation, but it WILL BE the Animal Rights Conference, so I won't be doing any work at all on this event.

Basically all the info it on http://www.arconference.org

I'll start a new thread about it soon.

So after the 4-day convention some of us can stay longer and hang out and we'll just hotels by the night (they can be very cheap depending on where we stay and how many to a room, etc.). I won't be getting a beach house or anything like that.

I just don't have time, energy, money etc. to put into any organizing at all.

I know heaps of people in LA, almost more than in Portland, if not more so there will be tons of vegan friends around and some are forum members and we still have many of them to get over to the forum, but anyway....there still will be loads of fun at the conference itself and then I'm sure some of us (me for sure) will stay extra days just to hang out, train, explore, etc.

Check out a video from last year to see the fun just at the conference itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfDEeA2FvOU

Unfortunately I think I will have to back out money is tight and I need to keep an eye on my savings for grad school.

However, you can all feel free to come visit me at the beach this summer for camping/ocean kayaking/surfing/etc. Frisco campground tent sites are super cheap!!

No prob at all....I honestly believe it will primarily be me and my L.A. friends and that is good enough for me. It's like summer camp......1000 vegans all stay together at the hotel for 4 days. It is exciting to arrive and see who is there, just like camp where you look for some old friends you see once per year.

It is one of the best times I have all year so I'm totally pumped and more pumped because it is in L.A. where I'll likely be moving to in November.

Open to anyone.....whether we get a bunch of forum members or not, I'm going to have an awesome time, get more forum members, and be glad I don't have to organize anything this year

www.arconference.org

This shows some of the fun from last year, including many forum members:

All the info is on www.arconference.org so you just register on there, and it has hotel info that nearly 1000 vegans will be staying at (nice!) and that is where you'll get all your questions answered.

Yeah, it's great! I don't have to do any work this time!

I'll still have a booth and still have opportunities for people to work the booth and it should be a great time!

Hope to see many of you there!

http://www.arconference.org/hotel.htm is hotel info.

Thanks!